Hello everyone!  I'm back to reading after a hiatus due to my university assignments. This year too it wouldn't be easy to read as much as I would like to but you guys keep motivating me  so I made a resolution to read atleast 1 book per month this year & I successfully completed it. Woo-hoo!!!

Watching dramas is a great way to relax & unwind but its quite a passive effort whereas reading, though a great way to unwind is an active act which stimulates our mind and is highly gratifying. Thank you for inspiring me ^^

Now the book I read this Jan is 'The Final Empire' the 1st part of the Mistborn series. This is an amazing book with solid writing & intricately woven plot with excellent character development arcs. Highly recommended if you want to start a fantasy series. It is totally engaging has awe inspiring dialogues & scenarios. The depth of each character is explored & there is no hero or villain which is gripping. The plot twists are great & there is a mix of all the genres- action, adventure, fantasy, crime, romance, thriller & even comic relief in between. 

Happy Lunar New Year !!! Have a great time reading ♡

Another Stranger:
Hello everyone!  I'm back to reading after a hiatus due to my university assignments. This year too it wouldn't be easy to read as much as I would like to but you guys keep motivating me  so I made a resolution to read atleast 1 book per month this year & I successfully completed it. Woo-hoo!!!

So glad our book-family members motivate each other to read more!

Book Update for January-February:

This month I managed to finish two books that were recommendations from my youngest daughter!

I finished reading:The Spanish Love Deception by Elena Armas & The Hating Game by Sally Thorne, both amusing rom-coms my daughter loved, and I liked better than her previous recommendation (The Love Hypothesis). I found the second book slightly better written and more fun.

For February, I plan to finish the book I've started last week, a book by a Greek writer than can be translated as "An Angel Told Me So" and perhaps start one more :)

Let's have a great time reading and watching dramas this month too, dear friends ❤

Hi, guys! I hope everyone has had a good bookish month in January.

I finished Joseph Conrad's Nostromo somehow. I liked it but it's a bit of a slog--not really a book you pick up for relaxing at the end of a long day. If you read some online reviews, a lot of them would use words like "capitalism", "colonialism", or "revolutions" when they're describing this book. But it is also about obsession and its all-consuming aspect.

For February, I plan on finishing China in the Age of Xi Jinping, which I had started in December. Despite its awesome title, it's basically a PRC for Dummies type of book, really good if you know next to nothing about China and just want to learn the basics first (their system of government, law, society, etc).

MichaKu:
Hope you gained some interest in those, arelady read them, share your opinion or can point me to other nice female authors' books from the region.

Have you ever read anything by Murata Sayaka? Two of her novels are available in English translation: Convenience Store Woman and Earthlings, and they're two very different novels but I liked them both. Maybe check them out if you're interested.

kura2ninja:

Have you ever read anything by Murata Sayaka? Two of her novels are available in English translation: Convenience Store Woman and Earthlings, and they're two very different novels but I liked them both. Maybe check them out if you're interested.

I have Convenience Store Woman on my reading list!

Another Stranger:
Now the book I read this Jan is 'The Final Empire' the 1st part of the Mistborn series

Wow that's so freaking impressive though! I really want to read the series (I even have the first book on my bookshelves, snagged it at a library sale!) but it's so long it's lowkey a little intimidating. So yes you read one book but that book is definitely chunky haha. I'm glad you liked it, I've heard nothing but good things.

penel:

Book Update for January-February:

This month I managed to finish two books that were recommendations from my youngest daughter!

I finished reading:The Spanish Love Deception by Elena Armas & The Hating Game by Sally Thorne, both amusing rom-coms my daughter loved, and I liked better than her previous recommendation (The Love Hypothesis). I found the second book slightly better written and more fun.

For February, I plan to finish the book I've started last week, a book by a Greek writer than can be translated as "An Angel Told Me So" and perhaps start one more :)

Let's have a great time reading and watching dramas this month too, dear friends ❤

i liked the Spanish love deception better!! the hating game was adapted to a movie but the book was quite better imo.

foxyjo:

i liked the Spanish love deception better!! the hating game was adapted to a movie but the book was quite better imo.

I didn't know there was a movie adaptation! I'll let my daughter know :)

January wrap-up: I completed 17 books and my favorites were the 9 books I read in Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series (7 of these were rereads).  I also read Beowulf for the first time and enjoyed that. Two books that disappointed me were Kingscastle and The Decagon House Murders. 

Kingscastle is newish Regency romance; the subtitle mentions Georgette Heyer but that is mostly clickbait (which I fell for! but, thankfully, only to the tune of $0.99). It's nothing like GH's engaging stories; I felt like the author was inspired more by Jane Austen than Heyer. Anyway, the heroine was too woe-is-me for my liking, and there was too little interaction between the couple to make for a believable romance.

The Decagon House Murders is a translated Japanese novel inspired by Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None (a favorite!). I felt the mystery was predictable though there is a nice twist at the end.  

My disappointment in these two books mostly comes from the expectations I placed on them; Georgette Heyer and Agatha Christie are two of my all-time favorite authors, so if their names are mentioned in connection with a book, I'm expecting something great ... oh well!

justanotherrey:
Reminders of Him - Colleen Hoover

Why did I read this? I was just getting on the hype train since this was the hottest release of this month.
Do I regret reading it? YES.

2/5

I read a few Colleen Hoover books back when she first started out and I remember liking them well enough, but now whenever I get tempted to check out her books, I ask myself if it will live up to the hype for me.

Another Stranger:
Now the book I read this Jan is 'The Final Empire' the 1st part of the Mistborn series. This is an amazing book with solid writing & intricately woven plot with excellent character development arcs. Highly recommended if you want to start a fantasy series. It is totally engaging has awe inspiring dialogues & scenarios. The depth of each character is explored & there is no hero or villain which is gripping. The plot twists are great & there is a mix of all the genres- action, adventure, fantasy, crime, romance, thriller & even comic relief in between. 

One of my favorite books, and you are so right about the mix; never a dull moment with this book :)

Hello, everyone! My first read this yr was A Tiny Feast by Chris Adrian (2009).

I only finished a short story so far. It's about two fairies, a couple, who adopted a human child to save their marriage. Soon they found out that the child has developed leukemia. Since they have never experienced illness before, they had a hard time understanding how humans deal with it.

- Very interesting writing. I love how the author represents a sad topic in a humorous, fancy way. Figurative description of characters and actions. Whimsical yet poignant message on sickness, parenthood, and loss.

Some lines that I like:
~ "He didn't want food. He wanted to be well, to run on the hill in the starlight, to ride on the paths in the park in a cart pulled by six raccoons. He wanted to spend a day not immersed in hope and hopelessness."

~ "Oberon had voiced a fear that the boy was sick for human things, that the cancer in his blood was only a symptom of a greater ill—that he was homesick unto death. So she imagined they were putting into him a sort of liquid mortal sadness, a corrective against a dangerous abundance of faerie joy."

~ "there was an infection in the bones of his face... Dr. Blork had said that a fungus was growing there...
Oberon had said that mushrooms were some of the friendliest creatures he knew, and that he could not understand how they could possibly represent a threat to anyone, but Blork shook his head, and said that this fungus was nobody's friend, and further explained that the presence of the new infection compromised the doctors' ability to poison the boy anymore, and for that reason the leukemia cells were having a sort of holiday."

kaiserin:
"He didn't want food. He wanted to be well, to run on the hill in the starlight, to ride on the paths in the park in a cart pulled by six raccoons. He wanted to spend a day not immersed in hope and hopelessness."

what an interesting quote. sounds like you had a good read!

Only one book for January, but it was a cozy read for a blasted Covid month: