Suckerforhappyendings:
I read sweet bean paste it's originally written in Japanese translated to English

It's about a man with a criminal record  working in a confectionary shop just passing by each day until an aged woman comes along with disfigured hand and takes up a part-time job there.

there's just something about Japanese authors being able to write calm and heartwarming stories.  I was fully relaxed and in my element, while reading it my only problem is i want to try  dorayaki and sweet bean paste so bad 

I watched the movie "Sweet Bean", not knowing it's based on this book, and it was wonderful!
Beautifully filmed and acted, with  poignant performances from the main leads.
https://mydramalist.com/13179-sweet-bean
Now I'm really curious about the book - I will definitely try to find it!
Thanks for sharing :) 

Yesterday, I completed The Life and Works and Jane Austen, a Great Courses lecture series. Very enlightening and highly recommended for Jane Austen fans. The professor explores the six major novels, the unfinished ones, and the juvenilia, in addition to the events and customs etc. that would have informed and influenced JA's writing.  I came away with so many wonderful insights that will surely elevate my future rereads.

I think it would be best to have read the works first before listening to this, not just to avoid spoilers but also to form your own first impressions. For me, building on what I already knew and thought about the books was an enriching experience. Once again, highly recommended.

On another note, I went back and completed Emma (re: my March wrap-up upthread) and enjoyed it. It was great to remember that while Emma is a busybody, she has good intentions. It was both funny and irritating how wrong she was about so many things!

penel:

Not that I know of. In fact, I tried to find one, just to link it in my post but couldn't. 

Ann Cleeves will probably be in my next month's post - I have 2 books of hers on my shelf waiting to be read :)

I love her characterization; everyone is so well fleshed out.  Before reading The Long Call, I never realized that one of my all-time favorite TV mystery series, Vera, is based on her books. 

LucianYaz:

I love her characterization; everyone is so well fleshed out.  Before reading The Long Call, I never realized that one of my all-time favorite TV mystery series, Vera, is based on her books. 

Lucky me, I'd already read 3-4 of her books before I discovered the series XD

penel:
I watched the movie "Sweet Bean", not knowing it's based on this book, and it was wonderful!

i had no idea about the movie immediately added to PTW

cheezerie:

@foxyjo

ahh just letting you know, i saw u gave 5/5 for a good girls guide to murder so i decided to read it. I went to the library but someone already borrowed it ><, so i decided to read good girl bad blood instead :) I started reading it yesterday ^^

isn't Good Girl Bad Blood the second book....? you'll be getting major spoilers from book 1 lol

foxyjo:

isn't Good Girl Bad Blood the second book....? you'll be getting major spoilers from book 1 lol

hahah yup!! i had no choice but to read the second book bc someone already borrowed the first book from the library and i'm fine with spoilers :)

cheezerie:

hahah yup!! i had no choice but to read the second book bc someone already borrowed the first book from the library and i'm fine with spoilers :) 

Oof that hurts. Sometimes people have more  luck using library apps when the wait list is too long for physical books.

fiflydramalover:

Oof that hurts. Sometimes people have more  luck using library apps when the wait list is too long for physical books. 

yea >< my city has 3 library branches, and went to every single one of them, only to find out that the book was already borrowed T^T 

i did go to the library website where we can see what's available in each branch but that book is already taken T-T

Amazon's World Book Day is here again - 10 free books from around the world! The link is for the US store, but the page has a dropdown link to Amazon's other international stores.

(For China, they once again included Tang Qi's To the Sky Kingdom, which is a teensy bit boring compared to the drama adaptation, Eternal Love/Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms. It's a nice freebie for newcomers but I would've liked a different book :P)

cheezerie:

I applaud you! The thought of reading a series book out of sequence makes me want to gasp with horror!  xD

LucianYaz:

Amazon's World Book Day is here again - 10 free books from around the world! The link is for the US store, but the page has a dropdown link to Amazon's other international stores.

(For China, they once again included Tang Qi's To the Sky Kingdom, which is a teensy bit boring compared to the drama adaptation, Eternal Love/Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms. It's a nice freebie for newcomers but I would've liked a different book :P)

oh thanks for this! I got 5 titles, and yes. Sky Kingdom included xD

Since I was on Sabbatical, here's my March & April books.

Our Better Angels by Jonathon Reckford, tells stories about Habitat for Humanity. Will restore your faith in humanity.  Stories of people who received homes or home loans and also the people who helped build the houses.

Battered Love by Renita Weems, an exegetical look at OT prophet marriage tropes

The Golden Key-Emmet Fox

This is How Your Marriage Ends by Matthew Fray, shows how the little seemingly annoying things can be deal breakers.  He wrote the book after a blog post "She Divorced Me Because I Left Dishes by the Sink" went viral.

Events of the Tulsa Disaster by Mary Jones Parrish-firsthand accounts written at the time just after the Tulsa Massacre in 1921. Very disturbing but a story that was buried and finally revealed.

The Greatest Salesman by Og Mandino

Midnight Library by Matt Haigfirst novel in a while, interesting concept about the multi-verse but never emotionally pulled me in.

The Day the World Came to Town by Jim Defede- Could be a little dry but once again, a book that will restore your faith in humanity.  Tells how numerous flights were diverted to the small town of Gander, Newfoundland and how the townspeople there rallied to shelter, clothe, feed, and take care of the needs of the stranded passengers right after the 9/11 attack in the US.