Since we don't have roles yet, I think you can add any villains you want.  

Hi, I'd like to join this club !

mahiba:

Hello kind people! I also love a good villain, and I'm intrigued by all this talk. I've read all 9 pages, but I'm a loss about what this board is about. I just don't know much about the internet, except checking my mails, and watching videos. If you would be kind enough to explain to me a few things.

- Where is the (A)VAC club going to actually take place? On MDL, or Notion (never heard of this place before today haha)?

- If I'm interested in dicussing villains, should I just keep checking on this forum thread or should I ask to be added on Notion? 

- What is the minimal level of participation I can do, yet still be able to discuss evil characters with you guys? Must I join Notion? And if so, must I then create a page for a villain every month (example given by Lin earlier) in order to keep my membership?

I'm a bit confused right now, but very interested. :)

Hello Marina, I am so glad that you want to join our little villain club. (Turned out this will be a huge community after all, I am very flattered actually)

Don’t worry, we don’t really have a limit or minimal participation level. As I have said it in the description, we just do it for appreciatio and to discuss our favorit antagonists/ villains. Moreover we wanted to keep our input and output organized that’s why we have also chosen to take things further onto Notion. The app is actually way easier to deal with than I thought, so don’t worry!

But we will still be active here. (I can tell for myself.)

Glad you’re joining us!

Berd:

Hi, I'd like to join this club !

Hey Berd, you're already eagerly awaited!
Turns out we are a bunch of people who like to think further and see the beauty in the  (often) mistaken characters that come alive through fiction. We organize our club on notion but we’re still at the beginning.

I am looking forward to your contributions! :)

Lin:

Hey Berd, you're already eagerly awaited!
Turns out we are a bunch of people who like to think further and see the beauty in the  (often) mistaken characters that come alive through fiction. We organize our club on notion but we’re still at the beginning.

I am looking forward to your contributions! :)

Thanks for the warm welcome! 

I already have a notion account. Is the link that was sent earlier the right one?

Hello, loveliez - I stumbled upon a music rec from this user and on her profile she made some things that I could only describe as personnel files for some villains:

https://mydramalist.com/profile/lavenderskies

I figured I could spread the word about this forum/club, but in the meantime have a look at her "problematic faves" (her words not mine) :)

AnaTechWr:

Hello, loveliez - I stumbled upon a music rec from this user and on her profile she made some things that I could only describe as personnel files for some villains:

I figured I could spread the word about this forum/club, but in the meantime have a look at her "problematic faves" (her words not mine) :)

Noel! her profile is a favorite of mine on my friends' list bc it's such a mood, sksksksk 

Berd:

Thanks for the warm welcome! 

I already have a notion account. Is the link that was sent earlier the right one?

You have to send Maeionic your e-Mail, so that she can invite you! :)

(Since we just recently started this, there is still a lot do do before going official)

AnaTechWr:

Wow her profile is truly a candy to the eye and she definitely knows how to make herself clear in terms of her likings and favored shows/ characters. And @halla was right, it does serve relatable vibes :D I wonder if she wants to be part of our Club too, since she seems like a bit of an reserved and analyzing person. I’d love to have discussions with her! 

@AnaTechWr Thank you for spreading the words! How do you do it btw? :)

Lin:

Wow her profile is truly a candy to the eye and she definitely knows how to make herself clear in terms of her likings and favored shows/ characters. And @halla was right, it does serve relatable vibes :D I wonder if she wants to be part of our Club too, since she seems like a bit of an reserved and analyzing person. I’d love to have discussions with her! 

@AnaTechWr Thank you for spreading the words! How do you do it btw? :)

I sent her a message spreading the word about the forum/club :)) easy-peasy :))

Thank you very much @Lize and @Lin, for the info. I think I'll stay on this forum for the time being. And when I feel like it, I'll probably follow you on Notion! 

AnaTechWr:

i also saw her profile and it's such a mood and her description of the characters is so accurate!

mahiba:

Thank you very much @Lize and @Lin, for the info. I think I'll stay on this forum for the time being. And when I feel like it, I'll probably follow you on Notion! 

Very much understood decision. I hope we‘ll have a good time! :) Nevertheless, what is your current favorite character, if you have one. Ofc you probably have more than one, I am just curious that’s why I am asking :) 

@Lin, thanks for asking hehe.

First off, I must admit, I don't like "evil" characters, I like morally compromised ones. I can appreciate a good psychopath, mostly from the way the actors portrays the role. But what I really like seeing is how a perfectly normal guy or girl is led to do the evil thing. Basically, I like watching internal conflict. To me, a villain becomes really compelling when they show a sliver of good, a hint of who they could be. For a second, you see them hesitate, sometimes they'll even try and do the right thing for a little while, then they go back to their old ways for some reason or another. A few faves :

Kang Do Yeong from Liar Game is one of my fave, probably because he's played by Shin Sung Rok. I really like his acting. (I liked the King from The last empress, but the writing for the show was all over the place.) Kang Do Yeong appears to be a sophisticated psychopath. He has superficial charm, he's handsome and intelligent, a master manipulator. He could make you like him, but he doen't care to. He is the MC of the Liar Game. He's the one who seems to orchestrate all of the trials the contestants are put through and he really seems to relish this role. The moment I (almost) fell in love was when towards the last episodes, the mask starts slipping under the pressure and he becomes more and more unhinged, and there's this fascinating scene in front of the mirror. What a truly frightnening scene! Haha, loved it. 

Du Lei from Love is Sweet. He's a white collar criminal. From the very beginning we see him do very shady things: lie (by omission), manipulate and cheat. Then he falls in love and makes many changes. That said, he's so damaged already, it's very hard for him to just stop being who he's been trained to be for so long.

The chicken tycoon, from My Heart Twinkle Twinkle. This show was not good AT ALL, but the villain (also the ML) was extremely well written and acted. You could see many times this conflict that I like between conscience and self interest. He's a very greedy character, he wants it all. And he'll do what he has to do to get it all. What I really like about this charater is that he really wanted to be good. He would always hesitate til the very last second before doing the wrong thing.

Baek Hee Sung from Flower of Evil : I know, I know he's the protagonist of the show. But for the first half of the show, everything is telling us that he's also the villain. He would've been a GREAT villain: A psycho who wishes he wasn't one. 

Actually my favorite villains look a lot like my favorite heroes, the main difference being what they ultimately choose to do. That also explains why my villains don't really kill many people. They might kill if they have to, but that's a mean to an end, not because they like killing. To me a person who likes killing is too far gone for me to relate. Because at the end of the day, to me, that's what it's about. I like watching people do the "wrong" thing, the thing that I wouldn't dare to do haha.

I got a bit carried away guys haha. Do you know these villains, and what do you think of them?

As for Kang Do Yeong, Du Lei and the chicken tycoon, I can not share a personal opinio, since I haven’t watched the show.  Yet you awakened my interest in them, since these characters seem to be well-written, despite the quality of the show?? :D

Baek Hee Sung on the other hand, I can totally agree with what you said about the view of the  viewers on him in the first 1/3 of the series. We just recently discussed on Notion, if the depiction of a character / the view of the world on that character is a factor which determines if the person is a villain or not. For example Do Hyun Soo is said to be a serial killer, but we later know he is not, he is innocent. In his world tho, he has a bad reputation and is seen as a monster. They even went as far as to perform exorcism on him when he was a teen. How strong is this man to have endured all the pain and hatred and yet did not get lost in the forced image of the society? He truly is my favorite fictional character and in my eyes one of the most well-written characters I ever came across. Because  I have a similar condition, I got attached to this series on another level. :)