Hellie_Park:

Can i join? :)

Yes, you can!

I'd also like to join :)))

Welcome, Lin Yi  nabi_yoggu27 pequetee Joli and all the new joiners! We have a list of movies for this month's challenge posted on the front page. Everyone is welcome to try watching as many or as few as you want. 

(๑˃ᴗ˂)ﻭ 

Considering quite a few have joined maybe we can try getting to know each other? It'd be nice to know what your favourite horror movies or dramas are. 

Also, please feel free to share your thoughts after watching any of the movies mentioned  in the monthly challenge! The movies will probably change every month based on the club members suggestions. So you are welcome to suggest options for the next month challenge as well!

Cheers to a healthy club interaction! Onward with the occult!!

ヽ(o^ ^o)ノ 

Welcome to all newcomers! Like what Fourthaxis have mentioned, probably we can have a mini get-to-know-each-other until admin Perfect is back from hiatus :)

April Scream Challenge - The Piper

I have a bit of time to squeeze for this month's Scream Challenge, and the movie I've chosen is The Piper. If anyone knows the story about The Pied Piper of Hamelin, then you'll know that this movie doesn't end well.

Woo Ryong, together with his ten year old son Young Nam, were traveling to Seoul on foot when they happened to arrive at an isolated mountain village. The village had a major rat infestation, so Woo Ryong made a deal with the Village Chief to help get rid of the rats. In return, he asked for food and lodging for a few days, as well as a decent lump of cash to take to Seoul once the job is done. However, Woo Ryong was denied payment and was driven out of the village. 

To be honest, this movie is effed up. Seriously. There's a scene that got me really bad that I had to pause coz I got emotional. When the Village Chief turned all the villagers into hating the piper and his son, the scenes of him groveling to save himself and his son are disturbingly pitiful.

There's no creep factor in this movie, and I feel the horror tag should be changed to psychological thriller instead. There's shamanism involved, but there's nothing scary about it. What is more disturbing in my opinion, aren't the mutated rats but the ugliness of humanity. The proverb to bite the hands that feed you suits the Village Chief and the villagers to a core.

Overall, I rated this movie a 6 coz of the disturbing end. While I feel that the villagers get what they deserved, the children are pretty much innocent but led to their demise as well by the piper.

awkward potato:
Overall, I rated this movie a 6 coz of the disturbing end. While I feel that the villagers get what they deserved

Psychological horror you say? Have you read the story 'The Country of the Blind' by HG Wells?  It starts in a similar vein about a man who stumbles into a hidden valley filled with mysterious people. Quite a lot of children's horror stories are based on such a happenstance. 

Interesting review! ^^

Fourthaxis:

Psychological horror you say? Have you read the story 'The Country of the Blind' by HG Wells?  It starts in a similar vein about a man who stumbles into a hidden valley filled with mysterious people. Quite a lot of children's horror stories are based on such a happenstance. 

Interesting review! ^^

I haven’t read the story, so I googled it and had a read on wikipedia. The Piper’s storyline is exactly the same! However, the protagonist managed to escape from the valley unharmed. In The Piper, the villagers did very bad things to him and his son, hence why he turned from a kind and gentle man, to a monster.

Thanks for the insight on my review :) 

I saw The Piper for April challenge, and I 100% agree with you. 

awkward potato:
There's no creep factor in this movie, and I feel the horror tag should be changed to psychological thriller instead. There's shamanism involved, but there's nothing scary about it. What is more disturbing in my opinion, aren't the mutated rats but the ugliness of humanity. The proverb to bite the hands that feed you suits the Village Chief and the villagers to a core.

The movie was less occult and horror, but more about human nature being evil of all. No jump cuts, no scary spirits. Just humans, their greed, arrogance, their pure evil minds. 

Are actions of lead justified, in my opinion absolutely! If they were so tight-lipped about their village and secrets, then they should have just rejected them in the village. The villagers turned 180 and tortured him, the worst chief decided to position the father & son duo, in the pretense of providing them food. Absolute disgusting. 

Will probably watch The Medium and Kwaidan next. 

I was going to post this on the 30th but I was busy,  was going to post it on the 1st but I completely forgot about it  (: 

Movie(s)Reviews 
Movie starts of quite slow I felt like they could of made it shorter and I admit I did get a little bored
As the film went on it picked up more it got more scary, disturbing, creepy it got  it's a really really good movie totally recommend it
I also think filming it like a  documentary adds to the creepy atmosphere quite well
this reminds me a little bit of the exorcist
an interesting and nicely paced film that has both suspense and horror moments with A nice plot twist, that I did not see coming
I would recommend
 BabyNandos:
I was going to post this on the 30th but I was busy,  was going to post it on the 1st but I completely forgot about it

No issues! 

The Medium - I was quite disappointed with the length and pacing of the film as well. They had such great material to work with and could have done a better job with reducing the time spent introducing the characters.

The premise of Alone sounds interesting too. I'll probably pick it up this month to watch if not Kwaidan! ^^

I'd like to join! 

I'm not really a horror/occult fan yet, but I would like to be 👹 Im gonna watch The Medium (2021) first hopefully.

Zen Violet:
I'd like to join! 

I'm not really a horror/occult fan yet, but I would like to be ? Im gonna watch The Medium (2021) first hopefully.

Welcome! No worries, you'll become a horror fan once you're hanging more here XD

Just like to drop my two cents worth for the drama Monstrous, which I've completed a couple of days ago. Since this drama is related to supernatural phenomena and possession of evil spirit, I'd guess it'll be okay to drop my thoughts here, even though this title isn't part of the monthly Scream Challenge. I'll make it short so as not to spoil for those who haven't watched it yet.

When I got to know a few months ago that this title is releasing in April, I got excited coz the synopsis seems promising. Unfortunately, it didn't meet up to my expectation (I'm the most lax drama watcher and I don't complain much but whut is this?) It started off good but somehow fell short... midway? I can't seem to point out what it is, but I feel like I was watching a very long movie, instead of a drama. Maybe it's because the characters are underdeveloped? Hmm...

Also, I think my brain broke coz I was laughing so hard at one scene, til my son looked at me weirdly. He couldn't find anything funny, since it's a horror-ish drama, but there's just something about them being chased by crows which got me giggling with glee hallppp XD

naamkii913:

I like to join..

Karen_as:

Hello! I would like to join <3

Welcome! Added~