perfect:

Those are some nice recs, some of those are on my ptw. There's no particular movie I'm planning on watching yet, usually I just watch things that interest me impulsively hah or anything on my ptw list (I add so many things I forget). 

Yeah I have loads of films to watch on my plan to watch list, but I am in a bit of a movie stump at the moment,  (:
Also there are some interesting horror drama/films coming out this year ( ;

LoveTine The fifth Carat:

This is cool!! I had watched Gonjiam some time but I do not remember well enough to leave my review :( 

(If I can edit this post, will try to change it later)

Ah would you like to join the club? You can participate in next month's challenge if you like. 

BabyNandos:

Yeah I have loads of films to watch on my plan to watch list, but I am in a bit of a movie stump at the moment,  (:
Also there are some interesting horror drama/films coming out this year ( ;

Yes, indeed. Exciting year~ 

perfect:

I'm not quite sure on how to do that ;; The challenges part will be replaced every month but yeah the original post might get too long. Can you let me know how?

So I found out that it can't be done now after everyone has already posted. The way the other groups do it is that the creator makes blank posts at the start of creating the forum itself so that all the other posts just follow the order as per date/time. I thought there was a trick but sadly there isn't. 

Sorry, my bad! :/

Fourthaxis:

So I found out that it can't be done now after everyone has already posted. The way the other groups do it is that the creator makes blank posts at the start of creating the forum itself so that all the other posts just follow the order as per date/time. I thought there was a trick but sadly there isn't. 

Sorry, my bad! :/

Ah, I see. Hm no worries, we can also just link posts to the front page if we have more ideas or something if it exceeds characters.  Thanks for mentioning it though, didn't think about it.~   

Fourthaxis:

[March] Scream Challenge

"Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum"

STORY●●○○○

SCREAM FACTOR ●●●○○

CREEP FACTOR ●●●●○ 

OVERALL ●●●○○

The plus = superb set design, background story of characters with the scripted scares and later the real scares were innovative, fitting ending 

The negatives = couldn’t figure out where to focus between overpowering audio, mediocre subtitles, cast & surrounding set.

Overall: I found it hard to understand what was happening. Not being a fan of found footage I might be overly critical of the movie though as parts of it; mainly second half where the story picks up, were interesting. 3/5 for me.

ps: I see many options added for April. So maybe we can have them for the coming months but how about adding The Wailing (SK), The Eye (HK), Ju On: The Grudge (JP) and Shutter (TH)

Ah I got so creeped out from when Ji hyun was possessed and started whispering I was like hell nah bye! I also thought the ending was really fitting, from the way they wrapped it up with each of them being possessed and only Sung hun being conscious in the room. The scene with Charlotte looking at that upside down body figure was also well done as they took the time to pace the jump scare, the way it slowly moved as she was trying to leave the room wtf. I thought Charlotte's acting was the best overall because her reactions seemed so over the top but also genuine.  Hmm I didn't really notice a overpowering audio or found it hard to understand but I do agree it must be because I'm a fan of found footage films. The thing I think needed little improvement was the shift from the fake ghost pranks to the real ghosts but I feel like that's the beauty of found footage where you don't really need to take anything that serious and random shit just starts happening which makes it feel like real people are filming it. I think the way they integrated the streaming features were awesome as well, such as the first soundtrack in the movie starting as they cue in the music for the live stream whereas there was a lack of music before. Overall, this production was well done as you said with the set design and such, none of the scary bits felt cheap and still maintained a balance between reality and the supernatural. 

Ok y'all I narrowed it down to 6 films for April. If anyone has MORE suggestions, feel free to keep making them and I will add it to the Occult Club Master List + try to add it to May's challenge.

All of these films have a supernatural element but I took into account of the style/tone, the country of origin and popularity to create a diversity. A film like "Kwaidan" is more artistic in it's vibrant storytelling while a film like "The Medium" may be much more gorey and dark.  Feel free to start watching these now or in April, as long as it's completed by the end of April so we can discuss it together. It does not matter how many you watch whether it's 1 or 6. Have fun~

The Medium (2021)  (Thai)

The Piper (2015) (Korean)

Alone (2007) (Thai)

The Wailing (2016) (Korean)

Kwaidan (1964) (Japanese) 

Killer Toon (2013) (Korean)

[The list is also on the front post + these watch challenges are voluntary.]

Do you think we should create a profile for occult club so that it would be easier to create lists, challenges and store them? At the end of the year we can have a member favourite voting list for the movies from monthly challenges also.

perfect:

Ok y'all I narrowed it down to 6 films for April. If anyone has MORE suggestions, feel free to keep making them and I will add it to the Occult Club Master List + try to add it to May's challenge.

All of these films have a supernatural element but I took into account of the style/tone, the country of origin and popularity to create a diversity. A film like "Kwaidan" is more artistic in it's vibrant storytelling while a film like "The Medium" may be much more gorey and dark.  Feel free to start watching these now or in April, as long as it's completed by the end of April so we can discuss it together. It does not matter how many you watch whether it's 1 or 6. Have fun~

The Medium (2021)  (Thai)

The Piper (2015) (Korean)

Alone (2007) (Thai)

The Wailing (2016) (Korean)

Kwaidan (1964) (Japanese) 

Killer Toon (2013) (Korean)

[The list is also on the front post + these watch challenges are voluntary.]

perfect:
Overall, this production was well done as you said with the set design and such, none of the scary bits felt cheap and still maintained a balance between reality and the supernatural. 

I agree with your valuation. Ji Hyun at that instance really made me feel the scare. Creep factor was so good mainly because of her & Charlotte. 

To me the audio is the best part of horror so, I watch try to watch movies that have a build-up. This is so that I don't get distracted with the audio as I'm busy reading the subtitles and watching the movie at the same time. I'd probably have enjoyed this movie more if it was dubbed then I could just focus on the watching and listening part instead of all 3.

Occult club account > Maybe. Though I don't think I would personally be able to run it and I don't think we necessarily need to create a profile just for lists and challenges. This is primarily because it's not certain how much people will be active + how many people more people will join. Right now, the activity ratio for 20 members seems pretty unbalanced :(

Dubs> Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about that... I guess I can see why it would be distracting for you if you concentrate more on the subtitles.

perfect:

Ah would you like to join the club? You can participate in next month's challenge if you like. 

Yeah!! I do love horror so maybe I can get good monthly dose this way ?

Thank you :)

(March) Scream Challenge ~ Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum 

Not that scary until the last 30 mins where 2 scenes got me. Funny cos after the trance scene, it lie-low for a while but then Charlotte started seeing this seemingly naked dude in the dark that slowly started moving... and I was trying to figure out what kind of apparition was that, so I looked closely thru my screen and voila! that chanting Ji-hyun with animated eyes appeared again and freaked me out xD it was so timely lol

Also, I get why Charlotte panicked when Seung Wook hold the doll as it can bring curse to him (or them, apparently) but I wondered about her too when she wrote her name there knowing that the place is risky :/

Well, the pacing was good. I didn't find it boring. The chemistry/bonding was build up at the beginning so the exchange was natural, and the acting was great from all the cast. The style of making the scenes dark or black throughout is a bit tricky to me, but here it was done relevantly so I wasn't bothered by it. Although some character's panic may cause anxiety than actual spooky moments, these elements are effective, and overall execution was engaging. 8/10

Nice Review! For sure it was mostly "scary" towards the later half. 

Yeah, I got a little too comfortable looking at that thing and the jump scare was obvious but they paced it well. Ah you're right that was a little contradicting and didn't make sense!  I thought she was a veteran and would know not to put her whole damn name :P 

LoveTine The fifth Carat:

Yeah!! I do love horror so maybe I can get good monthly dose this way ?

Thank you :)

Welcome to the club! :)

For the next batch, I'll check out The Piper and Kwaidan. I'm fine with one title, but I guess the more options, the better. I've been meaning to rewatch Shutter, Juon, One Missed Call, & The Eye from the first line-up so, it looks like it will happen this yr :p 

With The Wailing, I watched it dubbed in my language but wasn't fond it.