Why would you want to do that? I hope you're not planning to work there for the stereotypical reasons, and yes as someone said, generally not a good idea.

I already explained why I wanted to work in Japan in an earlier post. 

bannie:

Thank you for the all the advice. 

I am looking to experience Japan in a slightly more wholesome manner rather than the odd vacation.  I doubt I have the credentials to make a decent living in Japan to permanently move to Japan but that can be something to consider if I really enjoy my time there. 

I guess just study the language really hard... if you're a native English speaker then go for the teaching position.

But if that's not an option... realistically your chances of working and living in Japan for a few years will be very low. You would have to show your mastery of Japanese language and then you're still at a huge disadvantage - you don't live in Japan and you aren't Japanese so most employer will automatically throw out your application.

I know you mentioned you're not in university - but have you attended and graduated in the past? 

I would work my ass off and start building your career. Work your ass off, make sure your boss knows. Get a great recommendation, apply to a bigger company, work your ass off again and make sure the boss knows and likes you... just repeat it until you are at a large enough company with operations in Japan and then see if there is any way you could transfer to the Japan offices. 

You need to show you are one of the most valuable employees at your local offices. You need to make sure the managers and bosses like you. And then you approach them "is there any way I could work in Japan for a few years?" but obviously be more specific and frame it in a way that makes sense - "any way I could work in our Tokyo office in supply chain management to gain knowledge and bring it back to our offices and apply it"? Because that's one of only two reasons transfers abroad happen - they want you to gain experience, exposure and bring it back to your home office.

I did do some investigation on the ALT position. I was always under the impression you had to be white to nail a position but it seems that 20% of their workforce is Asian (which I am). But I wonder if it really would be a good experience. 

Yes I did attend and graduate some time ago. I am currently taking a break while applying for a position. 

bannie:

I did do some investigation on the ALT position. I was always under the impression you had to be white to nail a position but it seems that 20% of their workforce is Asian (which I am). But I wonder if it really would be a good experience. 

Yes I did attend and graduate some time ago. I am currently taking a break while applying for a position. 

It's an experience that's going to be what you make of it. From what I have heard from those who returned from South Korea - it's hard work but you can form a tight bond with some of the other teachers, explore the country a bit and it can be great and fun experience.

If you decide to do everything on your own or stay in your apartment whenever not working it could be a negative experience. I've heard from people who loved it, people who hated it. I know a guy who married a South Korean girl and I'm not sure if he's still there or not. I knew his parents more than I knew him and they told me "oh yeah he's getting married in a few months and we're flying over".

If it's something you really want to do - apply for the teaching position, understand it will be hard work and try to be outgoing and form friendships with the other teachers who are (or were) in the same boat as you when they arrived.

Are there viable options for someone not based in Japan yet other than teaching English? 

If you have a bachelor's, teaching English.  If you have a masters or sometimes just a bachelor's plus celta or equivalent (aka not just any tefl) and teaching experience (usually post-secondary required),  you can teach university level in your educational field.  Without education, modeling is sometimes an option.  But that only usually works if you can get picked up by an agency in your home country and they sponsor you to go their (aka, you need to already be a model in your home country with an agency who can get you into Japan).   After that, unless you are from a nearby southeast Asian country and can get in through technical schools labor work type visa (WHICH I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND due to the fact of how the workers are often prevented from leaving and forced to work unskilled labor without learning what they came for), but other than that, there are not many options.  If your Japanese level is N1 (maybe n2, but not as much) or above, you can do translation, but that can also be done remote.  Getting into a Japanese company requires native-level or at least n1+ (n2 in some cases) level proficiency. AKA you will need to be able to do business and speak formally without needing assistance.  

The main reason why living long-term in Japan is difficult, is that you will need a work visa, and for that, you will need to be sponsored by a company. Part-time jobs don't sponsor people (cost etc) as far as I know, so the only option is a full-time real position, and you will need to speak Japanese for that.  

I also highly suggest visiting Japan on a tourist visa first (90 days, if your country has democratic relations with Japan).  The actual place is not at all like dramas or manga.  Not saying you believe that, but just from my personal experience, it is much different than the perception it gives off online. When I was there, many of the foreigners I knew were quite disillusioned by it and had inaccurate expectations for what Japan was actually like. 

Hth.  If you really want to go, I suggest getting a bachelor's degree and using that time also to study the language thoroughly. With enough dedication, 4 years can get you to N2 level, and even N1 for some.   Going to Japan to live, is a business decision, not simply a personal one.  Japan doesn't just accept people in, because you have to bring something useful to them.  Without any credentials or practical/work skills, it will be very difficult to obtain the necessary visa for long-time stay.

bannie:

Are there viable options for someone not based in Japan yet other than teaching English? 

If you get your Japanese level up, working in the field of your degree in a Japanese company is an option, but company life is very different from other countries.  Not sure where you are from, but unpaid overtime in Japan is extremely common.

horsepen:
ng a bachelor's degree and using that time also to study the language thoroughly. With enough dedication, 4 years can get you to N2 level, and even N1 for some.   Going to Japan to live, is a business decision, not simply a personal one.  Japan doesn't just accept people in, because you have to bring something useful to them.  Without any credentials or practical/work skills, it will be very difficult to obtain the nec

Perhaps I will stick to finding some work and travelling to Japan frequently for vacation. 

From this thread it seems my education qualifications are pretty much useless and with my limited Japanese I wont qualify to work anywhere. 

It is viable to teach some English in elementary school or something in Japan?  I dont have any teaching experience though. 

one of the common and what's it look like the easy route to work in japan -based in my country usually is trainee program. but it still need work ass for the jap language itself with around 3-4 month preparation held by the emplyer(government or private) and the trainee contracted for around 3 years . there some fields ppl can applied i think but for most of parts it accepted high school graduated. again like othersay, for work or essentially not short span living there,  learning japanese is essential tbh as for job i think N3 levelrequirement is common, probably.  foreign workforces usually limited by local regulation fortheir workhours (around 4 hours i think) but i guees it can go overtime depend on the job, the employer or type of visa,not sure about that.

or if you smart-hardly used that work-  apply for schoolarship kind of stuff and then obtain part time permit  . there much to be considered to live in japan tho', like the standard of living is different,  money as one fifth of your wage will go to insurance and tax

If you're needing to raise your Japanese language skills I would recommend italki.com in the mean time while sourcing out what work you want to do there. I am currently studying Japanese as a 2nd language on there. You can do free cultural language exchange with native speakers who are looking to practice their English you just arrange study time on skype.  I did a year of free skype study sessions with many different people from Japan and only recently signed up for a  paid tutor's 10 lesson package on there which has been so helpful.  I'd like to eventually do Tourism Industry and Translating /Subs for video content.

I was also looking into gaijinpot 

bannie:

Perhaps I will stick to finding some work and travelling to Japan frequently for vacation. 

From this thread it seems my education qualifications are pretty much useless and with my limited Japanese I wont qualify to work anywhere. 

It is viable to teach some English in elementary school or something in Japan?  I dont have any teaching experience though. 

Yeah,  if you have a bachelor's and were taught in English/your  native language is English,  you can teach through the JET program or another teaching company or private school.  

HappySqueak:

If you're needing to raise your Japanese language skills I would recommend italki.com in the mean time while sourcing out what work you want to do there. I am currently studying Japanese as a 2nd language on there. You can do free cultural language exchange with native speakers who are looking to practice their English you just arrange study time on skype.  I did a year of free skype study sessions with many different people from Japan and only recently signed up for a  paid tutor's 10 lesson package on there which has been so helpful.  I'd like to eventually do Tourism Industry and Translating /Subs for video content.

I was also looking into gaijinpot 

thank you!

Ceki:

I've heard mostly bad things and that it is not a good idea if your Japanese is already limited. Unless you are on a very high position in a foreign company (not Japanese), I heard not so inspiring stories about assimilating in the society and employee's treatment of workers.

I know this is an old post but I would actually love to read some real life stories about being a foreigner living in Japan

ShotaSidePart:

I know this is an old post but I would actually love to read some real life stories about being a foreigner living in Japan

doramaticbites @tumblr is a Singaporean living in Japan. She's a teacher, I think, and she's fluent in Japanese. She usually posts about dramas, but there's quite a few of personal posts about her experience as a foreigner living in Japan.