DO NOT VOTE IN THIS THREAD!

This is not official, merely a way to keep track of suggestions related to adding new Asian countries to MDL. I've had many of you ask me why not add them to the original thread, but since the admins will most likely open a poll next time they decide to add a new country to the database, it's better to keep it separated.

• Use this thread to find specific Asian countries; opening duplicates won't distribute the votes evenly.
  • If the country isn't listed, you can open a suggestion (it has to be Asian!)
  • Please remember that the admins are under no obligation to add the new country unless they see fit (they will do it when the time is right). This thread is simply to keep track of what is most popular.
  • You are encouraged to share your opinions and suggestions, but please no spamming/fighting/drama, etc!

The most popular suggestions according to the number of votes:

Thanks!

24votes

Reserved for future use

I saw that Philippines was the last country to be added to the list and Thailand before that. Are there any guidelines that a particular country has to meet to be included? For example, a certain number of translated dramas or movies on certain sites (Viki, Netflix, and Amazon for example), the availability to find translations of informational sites on said country (like IMDb or wiki-like site), need based (if there is a MDL-like site for other countries, does it make sense to add it here), or want based (if adding a country depends on volunteer work to fill in all the drama and movies, is there enough popularity and manpower to have a respectable start to the database and continually improve it).

I think it would be easier for those suggesting new countries to be added, and for those responsible for deciding whether to add one to  have as much information as possible.

For example, if I wanted to add country A, I could post "Country A should be added." Knowing what MDL was looking for, I could make a suggestion with facts that might increase the likelihood (but NOT guarantee) Country A gets added. I could post "Country A has 800 dramas and 300 movies translated into multiple languages across site X, Y, and Z. Country A has  C and D sites that have casting information for a lot of movies and dramas. I wrote an  article about the inclusion of Country A that got 400 comments with many posting they are ready to help get a newly added Country A going."

It just seems that if posters knew what would help their country get more attention as far as being potentially added, they would be able to help themselves have a better chance of eventually getting their country added.

John Smith:
want based (if adding a country depends on volunteer work to fill in all the drama and movies, is there enough popularity and manpower to have a respectable start to the database and continually improve it).

I think this is the most important criterion (but I'm not 100% sure), I hope one of the admins clarifies that.

Since MDL is a volunteer-based community, I guess it is important that the country is popular when it comes to its movies and dramas; otherwise, what's the point of adding it, right? 

John Smith:
the availability to find translations of informational sites on said country (like IMDb or wiki-like site)

Also this. If there are no subbers available, then the dramas/films of that country can't get the multicultural audience... and MDL is all about exposure and connecting.

Singapore is second on the list. It's a very small country with only one national tv, and just a handful local tv production companies. SG's local productions are mainly in Chinese and English languages and also available on Netflix, so quite accessible to global viewers. Would be quite easy to populate those SG local shows :)

Thanks for making this post! It feels crazy to think it was 3-4 years ago when I made the post about Vietnam hopefully getting added, I still feel like over the past few years the popularity of Vietnamese content has risen substantially and I have finally started to see more English Subs make their way to Vietnamese dramas. 

To a certain extent, I consider MyDramaList to be the bond that really does tie the Asian Drama community together. I may have never ventured past Kdramas into other countries if it were not for the ease of being exposed to new cultures and shows this website provides. I may not have even made it as far into Korean Dramas if I didn't have this website to reference all the new shows as they release or after I return from a drama hiatus. And I believe that as such an influential player in the Drama community, whenever Vietnamese dramas get added it will really add that extra layer of legitimacy to their growth. We may see more Vietnamese dramas get explored and subbed just as a result of being associated with MyDramaList recognition.

I agree with the mods that the admins are under no obligation to add new countries unless they see fit, but I appreciate them greatly for how much they have been able to expose me to the joys of Asian dramas and how much I have been able to explore new cultures and media as a result of the ease of access this site creates, and I hope to see Vietnam benefit from that in the future as well :)

India is multicultural and multilingual country, so, I think it will be slightly difficult to make database for it but not impossible I think. Hope someday south Asia will also be part of MDL.

I would like to suggest Bhutan. There is just a small number of movies from there, but I would be glad to feed them into the system :)

Is Turkey  considered an Asian country  if its both in Europe and Asia?

asian_drama_lover:
Is Turkey  considered an Asian country  if its both in Europe and Asia?

If MDL expands to include all of Asia, then yes, Turkey should definitely be included.  About 97% of Turkey is in Asia.

I would like to suggest Laos be added.

I would like to see all the countries listed and the ones that are being mentioned added 

I tried to add new title from Iran but I didn't find iran in country list. I suggest Iran.

Ars:

I tried to add new title from Iran but I didn't find iran in country list. I suggest Iran.

just out of curiosity what show?