So, haven't you heard it these days. It appears that South Korea has recevied its own migrant crisis: an about 500 Yemeni refugees are displaced on the South Korea's resort island on Jeju Island! Now there are some pro-refugees who want to accept the refugees while others oppose. There even a one thing is that the President Moon Jae-in is even the refugee from the North Korea. Will South Korea start accepting refugees and turn the country into the melting pot?

Video:

What South Korean people think about Yemeni refugees?

Anti-Refugees Group Protests:

(sorry for my poor English)

I found this to be fascinating, though disappointing. 500 refugees was enough for people to riot? I guess it shouldn't be surprising in more monolithic societies like Korea [especially in smaller cities like Jeju,]

Thank you for posting it!

To me it feels crazy that they riot about 500 people. But what do I know about Korean politics? Im only familiar with the Swedish refugee-politics where the country try to take in as many refugees as possible, last year it was around 25 000 if I remember correctly. That's why seeing people going into a rage because of helping 500 people seems so outlandish to me. 

I know German brought refugees about more than 500,000 people on it, they've been doing this in order to counter its country's declining birth rate and aging society.

I watched the Asian Boss video when it got out. It's very interesting to see the reactions of the people

As always, it's a complicated subject... people want but at the same time don't want haha 

Since I also live in a small country (smaller than S.K), Switzerland, I kinda understand them. But their population is so homogenous and (not sure how to say it??) proud to be homogenous /feel safer, That it's totally different. 

I personally think they won't turn into a melting pot. They will stop welcoming them... 

@Elisa

Yeah, but i heard that South Korea's birthrate is declining. So i am thinking about that South Korea should start up open up and embrace migrants. There are some half-Korean living in the country which includes as well.

Hotsushi-kun:

@Elisa

Yeah, but i heard that South Korea's birthrate is declining. So i am thinking about that South Korea should start up open up and embrace migrants. There are some half-Korean living in the country which includes as well.

Oh yeah that's true. 

But maybe they will try to use robots? 

I don't know. I remember talking about that with a friend from S.  Korea and she told me most of the people there that are 35+ don't feel like welcoming foreigners (to live there)

But then again that was only the opinion of one person so I don't know.

But even if they start to accept foreigners, I don't think it'll go as far as a melting pot soon. The number of foreigners will increase, for sure, but not that much - maybe in a few decades yes.

(Seeing how they've got that (almost) insular mentality like Japan) + didn't they already close  the visa thing ? (Or did they open it again now?) 

I don't know... haha 

Elisa:
But maybe they will try to use robots? 

It is really impossible for robots to fix the labor shortages in Korea, since robots can't do anything, they don't have a brain.

I remember one thing back in 2015 where Kurds and Turks clash each other at Turkish Embassy in Tokyo after Kurds displayed their flag that insulted Turks. Here is the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBuVIq16O0A

I wonder if this will happens to South Korea when Yemeni of racial idendity clash each other at Yemeni embassy at Seoul.

(sorry for my poor English)