Better MDL is a project i'm working on to enhance the website. I've been using MDL since the very beginning and it hasn't improved that much over the years. So here I am, trying to make the website more friendly and modern! If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here, just keep in mind that there's a limitation to what I can do with a userscript.

The theme used in my screenshots is Catppuccin & have NOTHING to do with this script. I won't take any suggestion regarding my theme. But if you want to install it, you can download it here.

[Download here]

Carefully read the Installation section!!
& How to use / customize to see how to customize the script

Everywhere

1. Back to Top button

2. Hide comments with defined terms (customizable)

3. Option to hide share icons on drama & people

4. Autofill Start Date for "Currently Watching" titles after watching 1 episode

1. Titles by Country Stats (Use the colors you set for the Status icons  and does not include Planned & Not Interested)

2. Option to hide the default MDL stats on profile

3. Bookmark lists & see saved lists on profile

4. Pin favorite titles on profile via a list (suggested by KC Drama LOVER)

5. Import/See your comments made on drama/people/list (suggested by Soju)

6. Force list link on Profile to direct to "Currently Watching" tab (customizable)

Title pages

1. Links to IMDB/Trakt etc. (customizable)

2. Ratings from IMDB/Rotten Tomatoes/Metacritic (customizable)

3. Link to Anilist for Adaptations

4. Add a heart to your liked people

5. Friend ratings & ability to put your favs at the top (suggested by sailingmars)

6. Average friends score (suggested by Saarthak)

People pages

1. 3 Layout Views (Original, Thumbnails & Posters)

2. Status icons (customizable)

3. Show the total for each status on your list

4. Sorting & Ordering options

5. Hide completed titles

6. Collapse the sections

Dramalist

1. Export dramalists in .csv (suggested by spepp)

2. 3 Layout Views (Original, Thumbnails & Posters)

3. Quick notes edit on hover (Poster View only)

Search

1. List status filters (suggested by Ruth and originally written by Thenia)

2023.06.04 - Version 1.3.0
2023.04.24 - Version 1.2.0
2023.04.03 - Version 1.1.0
2023.02.27 - First Beta released

• [WON'T FIX] Some titles don't have the right result for external searches. Currently there's nothing I can do as MDL don't refer to those external ids anywhere and scraping can only be that accurate.

TaskSuggested/Idea byStatus
Hide cancelled titlesmuimui94 N/A
Click on a status total to only show those titlesMio.N/A
Add the top 3 genres on Poster ViewescapismN/A
Awards and SNS on PeopleOld_Anime_Lady N/A
More stats & achievementsMio.N/A
Find a source for Novel Adaptationsmoonchild N/A
Allow watchlist to be sorted from recently completed/addedSojuN/A
MDL Friend AnniversariesSaarthak N/A
Monitor people's anniversaries from a listmj_babec358 N/A
Find a way to link albums/songs to a pageKrystale Mitaesa N/A
Find a way to retrieve forum activityzen violet N/A
Dramalist comparisonzen violet N/A
Filter dramalist by genreSaya N/A
Grab exact date for title's historyAimer_is_life N/A
Option to only show friend type in Friends FeedSaarthak N/A
Option to hide posts about a specific title on FeedsSaarthak N/A
Show user's rating on Last Updated box on ProfileSaarthak N/A
Add personal rating on People

katherine197

N/A
Show total percentage on hover for counters

katherine197 

N/A

You can post your suggestions below and I might add them in the next version  

If you're a dev, pull requests are always welcome, i will explain the project structure if you're confused :)

You can support me by adding a star on my Github project or/and make a donation on Ko-Fi~
(My script will always be free, it's completely up to you )

I love what I see, I also think I saw you  join the discord server.  
For me I want -
--Another Category (Not aired/TBA/Etc) which is different from "Plan to watch" or even just Label it "Other"
--A Spot for Non Asian Movies that the actors were in (Linked to a Partnered site that may or may not give kick back to MDL on a per click basis)
--Awards and SNS   People REALLY want these for both actors and Titles.  Kinda like using MDL as a hub. [Maybe links to fanclubs?] (for example Club9 forYamashita tomohisa)
--Reviews by your friends under a tab for titles. (Extra bonus if they can flag a feeds post as a review and it comes up in this tab as well)
--Tab on title page to let you see what else ran against this drama during that season. Possible  Native ratings. (Prolly too in depth but its a thought).
-- For Movie list Box office stats

Layout-The mobile app needs to match the Website (numbered titles as an example) so there is not a disconnect between the two users groups in the community.

This is probably Way out of your control since I am sure you were just looking for layout suggestions.

Yes I just joined the Discord, I thought it might be easier to exchange there :D

#1 It's doable but we don't have space for another box :( Maybe I can show this information elsewhere though :)

#2 Sounds great but not possible because I can't filter only the non-Asian titles

#3 Where can I find this information easily and grab it?

#4 I can't create a new tab without access to the website files, sorry :( But if I can access Friends data (haven't looked into it yet), maybe I could like highlight their reviews.

#5 Love the sounds of it but yeah we would need data to begin with haha

#6 Where can I find this information easily and grab it?

Thanks for the suggestions! Honestly I would love to implement everything but without admin access i'm pretty limited unfortunately.

1. Maybe make the boxes customizable? 

The rest would have to be deeper in the site code and  added  by devs but maybe links to native wikis?  They usually have all that information.  Better than the English or other language wikis

Old_Anime_Lady:

1. Maybe make the boxes customizable? 

The rest would have to be deeper in the site code and  added  by devs but maybe links to native wikis?  They usually have all that information.  Better than the English or other language wikis

I'll note that and look into it!

Here is the final look for the Poster View, i won't work on it anymore for now. I'll release the script once I finish the Sorting feature :)

The theme you see on my screenshots will be added on my carrd probably tomorrow and will be available in 5 variations (1 Light Mode & 4 Dark Modes) with customization of the main color. I will also provide an alternative version of the website as an option directly in the theme.

Sweet I definitely give it a test drive when you roll out with the how to poster

Hi ♡

While i'm still working on my script, i'm already sharing the theme I use in my screenshots~

This theme uses the soothing palette Catppuccin, is available in 5 variations (1 Light Mode & 4 Dark Modes) & offers multiple options for the main color. If you used my previous theme, this one is definitely an upgrade, just choose a shade of blue for the accent if you want to keep the same colors.

Install it: https://dear-clouds.carrd.co/#mdl-themes
Follow the project status: https://dear-clouds.carrd.co/#better-mdl

Follow the link to install the theme then read the instructions :)

All added and looks great not super thrilled with Vapor wave though and went back to Fuji-san ;) 

Ohh yeah i forgot about that one tbh, it's pretty old haha! Hope you don't use the 2 themes at the same time for the website or it might clash!

New additions:

Updated first post to access the closed beta.

I FORGOT TO GIVE FEEDBACKS, AND I DO HAVE SOME OR TWO, BUT I CAN'T INSTALL THE USERCRIPTS HALP KEKK

Krystale Mitaesa:

I FORGOT TO GIVE FEEDBACKS, AND I DO HAVE SOME OR TWO, BUT I CAN'T INSTALL THE USERCRIPTS HALP KEKK

Oh it's normal, i'm only gonna send it to a few people for now, the time to get some good feedbacks then I'll release it here publicly!
I'm sending you the link & explanations in DM :)

Mio:

Oh it's normal, i'm only gonna send it to a few people for now, the time to get some good feedbacks then I'll release it here publicly!
I'm sending you the link & explanations in DM :)

SANKYOU!! MUCH APPRECIATED TT v TT \

Okay i am slow or hit a wall where my understanding stops as I am not matching
1. I installed Tampermonkey AND Github per tampermonkey page.
2. I installed Stylus
3. Added the Cappuchin and was able to change text back drop color.

And this is where I am lost
Go to MyDramaList settings page to customize the script, just like you would to edit your profile (You need to scroll down to the end of the page to see the Better MDL Settings section)

I know how to edit my profile but what EXACTLY am I looking for.

Testing with this page
https://mydramalist.com/people/216-kamenashi-kazuya
and  
https://mydramalist.com/744043-seigi-no-tenbin-season-2

Thank you for your time.

Old_Anime_Lady:

Okay i am slow or hit a wall where my understanding stops as I am not matching
1. I installed Tampermonkey AND Github per tampermonkey page.
2. I installed Stylus
3. Added the Cappuchin and was able to change text back drop color.

And this is where I am lost
Go to MyDramaList settings page to customize the script, just like you would to edit your profile (You need to scroll down to the end of the page to see the Better MDL Settings section)

I know how to edit my profile but what EXACTLY am I looking for.

Testing with this page
https://mydramalist.com/people/216-kamenashi-kazuya
and  
https://mydramalist.com/744043-seigi-no-tenbin-season-2

Thank you for your time.

The Catpuccin theme is separated from this userscript "Better MDL". The theme only changes the aesthetic of the website, while the userscript adds new features (like the Poster view etc.). The theme uses Stylus and the userscript uses Tampermonkey to work.

I'm sending you a DM with the userscript :)