LOL!!
I laughed so hard at that one xD xD But then I found somewhere this:
$ 1 billion = 20,000,000,000 5-cent coins. Each has volume of 0.59 ml. Total volume will be 11,800,000,000 mL or 11,800,000 L. A huge tank truck can carry 34, 000 L. Aka you need roughly 347 trucks to carry all the money to Apple's headquarter.

speaking of Samsung vs. Apple, I found this great article about copying in Korea on zenkimchi
I don't watch too many k-dramas but once I noticed in Jungle fish 2 that students normally copied their homework from the internet and everybody was so shocked when the teacher said it was wrong. (Anyone who's seen that drama??)
not sure if ppl seen this already since it was posted bac in May, just thought it was interesting

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/534453.html
Very interesting video. A foreigner explains what he has learned about homosexuality in Korea. So sad that so many people have to hide it. :(

Ottoke!!!!!!

T.O.P suffers an injury while filming for movie ‘Alumnus’

According to information released to us by YG Entertainment, Big Bang‘s T.O.P has unfortunately suffered an injury on the back of his hand during the filming of his movie ‘Alumnus‘.

On September 21st, T.O.P was filming a combat scene that took place near a piece of glass. During the filming, he unfortunately hurt his hand on a glass fragment and is reported to have been admitted to the hospital for surgery on the same day. He is currently resting at the hospital.

As the injury was not a minor one for it required surgery, the agency and the movie production staff were put into an emergency situation in which they had to make sure of T.O.P’s condition and recovery as well as figure out the changes in schedule. However, T.O.P is said to have been more concerned about the changes being made to the filming schedule because of him rather than the condition of his hand, and is insisting that he would like to carry on his scheduled filming.

In addition, T.O.P has a fan event planned at his movie filming location on the 22nd (today), and is scheduled to embark on the ‘2012 Big Bang Alive Galaxy Tour‘ for the next 9 weeks starting next weekend.

As he has no problems moving around, he has insisted that he is able to go on with the fan meeting and the world tour. However, as his hand is expected to take 2 to 3 weeks to heal, it is expected that there may be some issues with filming for the movie for the time being.

YG Entertainment commented, “As one of the main characters, T.O.P is feeling burdened about the filming being postponed because of him, especially since the filming had to be halted earlier with the changing of directors… We will be discussing with his doctor to figure out a way for T.O.P to carry on his schedules without putting strain on his condition.”

Source
omg!!! hope top gets better soon :(
Top Idol Stars, Living in Luxurious Homes

Arirang Survey of Top7 Rookie Actors for 2012

Korean Actors Most Loved by Foreign Fans

Repost from the Reply 1997 thread :)

dapinaymrs wrote: Oh mianhae! I thought I replied already...I just copied the news off my newsfeed, I tried to check enewsworld and there was nothing. Oh but wait~! I just found this one!

Winners At The 5th Korea Drama Awards

Winners (from left) Kim Nam Joo, Han Ji Min and Kim Sang Joong (Photos courtesy of www.newsen.com)

The 5th Korea Drama Awards ceremony was held at the Gyeongnam Culture and Arts Center last Oct. 2 to recognize excellence in drama in the past year.

The ratings hit family drama "Unexpected You" (also known as "My Husband Got A Family") swept the awards, winning a total of six.

The drama's lead actress, Kim Nam Joo, won the night's "daesang" or grand award for her role as a wife who struggles to get along with the family of her husband.

She edged out Kim Soo-hyun of "The Moon That Embraces The Sun," Yoon Yeo-jeong of "Unexpected You," Uhm Tae Woong of "The Equator Man" and Han Suk Gyu of "Tree With Deep Roots" for the award.

"Unexpected You" also won as best drama over "Gentleman's Dignity," 'The Moon That Embraces The Sun," and "The Chaser."

In the acting category, Han Ji Min of "Rooftop Prince" and Kim Sang Joong of "The Chaser" won as best excellent actress and actor.

Han Ji Min was chosen over Soo Ae, Shin Se Kyung, Kim Hyun Joo and Jung Ryeo-won.

Other nominees in the best excellent actor award were So Ji Sub, Son Hyun Joo, Yoo Jun Sang, and Lee Bum Soo.

On the other hand, Lee Hee Jun of "Unexpected You" and Kwak Do Won of "Phantom" tied for the excellent actor award while Song Sun Mi of "Golden Time" won as excellent actress.

Singer and actor Seo In Guk won as best new actor for "Love Rain" while Yoon Jin Yi of "Gentleman's Dignity won as best new actress.

In addition, Seo In Guk and Jung Eunji of girl group A-Pink won as best couple for their roles in the drama "Reply 1997," which garnered the highest rating on cable and drew praises.

The best director award went to Jang Tae Yoo for "Tree with Deep Roots."

"Unexpected You" also won the best scriptwriter award while Kwak Dong Yeon won as best young actor.

The best original soundtrack (OST) award went to "Back In Time," the theme song by Lyn for "The Moon That Embraces The Sun."

A total of 15 winners were awarded in 11 categories in the 5th Korea Drama Awards, chosen by expert judges from different fields.

The awards ceremony was hosted by Jun Hun Moo and Jewelry's Kim Eun Jung. Performers were Lyn and A Pink.

How this news landed on Manila Bulletin is a mystery to me. I am beginning to think they have a Kdrama fan there who translates for them.
wrote:
Rookie actor Choi Woo Shik signs with JYP Entertainment

JYP Entertainment has entered the acting management industry and signed on rookie actor Choi Woo Shik.

Choi Woo Shik debuted in early 2011 through the MBC drama ‘The Duo‘ and quickly gained attention in the acting industry because of his solid acting skills. He is maturing into an actor that’s looking into taking on lead roles. JYP Entertainment has kept an eye on the actor since his debut, and approached Choi Woo Shik, citing his solid acting abilities and fluent English skills as well as his potential.

He has acted in popular dramas such as ‘Rooftop Prince‘ and ‘Shut Up Family‘, and more.

He was also in attendance at the 17th Busan International Film Festival on the 4th as an official JYP Entertainment star, and is currently cast as the little brother of the lead female role in the movie ‘Covertness‘.

source : allkpop
An article on The Korea Herald about education for the rich. Sort of reminded me of BOF.. :D
"Last year, the Seoul Metropolitan Government held a public bidding to select the operator of Gaepo Foreign School, which will be constructed on more than 16,000 square-meters of property in Gangnam in Seoul.

The school, which will include kindergarten, elementary, middle and high school programs, will have over 800 students, according to the local government. "

Foreign Schools show Korea's social divide
Ok, so I'm probably starting to be annoying but this is so worth checking!
>>>ExamiNation: a short documentary about South Korean college entrance exam

I honestly cannot imagine a life without sports and dramas. Who watches all the dramas when teenagers are cramming for tests?
Moniisek wrote:
>>>ExamiNation: a short documentary about South Korean college entrance exam

I honestly cannot imagine a life without sports and dramas. Who watches all the dramas when teenagers are cramming for tests?

Yeahh :( so stressful and exhausting. There really should be a better balance.
"I'm jealous of the dragonfly" :(
Jo Hyun Gil, producer of ‘IRIS’ and ‘Athena’ found dead in a car

Producer Jo Hyun Gil has been found dead in Seoul’s Gangnam Cheongdam-dong.

Jo Hyun Gil was 48 years old and participated as the producer of many famous dramas such as ‘IRIS‘, ‘Athena‘, and movies such as ‘71 Into the Fire‘, ‘Wet Dreams‘, and the ‘Marrying the Mafia‘ series.

His body was found in a car in the parking lot of a restaurant that he owned shortly after 9:00AM on the morning of January 2nd. The police determined that he died due to hypothermia most likely because he stayed in the car for too long in the extremely cold weather.

Our condolences to his family and friends.

Source: Xports News
source: allkpop

Our deep condolences to his friends and loved ones.
Shinhwa’s Dongwan donates $28,000 USD to the elderly who suffered as comfort women in WWII

Shinhwa‘s Dongwan has donated 30,000,000 KRW (approximately $28,000 USD) to the elderly who suffered as comfort women to the Japanese army during World War II.

According to his label, he has donated 30,000,000 KRW through KBS 1TV‘s ‘Love’s Request‘. According to the staff of ‘Love’s Request’, Dongwan said, “I really wish that these 58 elderly women who are still alive can receive an apology in their life.”

This is not the first time Dongwan has donated through ‘Love’s Request’. He previously donated 10,000,000 KRW (approximately 9,300 USD) to those who were affected by the 2003 Daegu subway tragedy. In 2008, he donated 20,000,000 KRW (approximately 18,600 USD) for the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, and 12,000,000 KRW (approximately 11,000 USD) to the 2010 Yeonpyung violence victims, donating over 100,000,000 KRW (approximately $93,000 USD) total.

Dongwan’s label said, “Usually, Dongwan donates without even telling the label. However, this time he wished he could help at least a little in rousing the public’s attention of helping the 58 who suffered as comfort women that are still alive.”

Source: News1
via allkpop: news article here
dapinaymrs wrote: Shinhwa’s Dongwan donates $28,000 USD to the elderly who suffered as comfort women in WWII

Shinhwa‘s Dongwan has donated 30,000,000 KRW (approximately $28,000 USD) to the elderly who suffered as comfort women to the Japanese army during World War II.

According to his label, he has donated 30,000,000 KRW through KBS 1TV‘s ‘Love’s Request‘. According to the staff of ‘Love’s Request’, Dongwan said, “I really wish that these 58 elderly women who are still alive can receive an apology in their life.”

This is not the first time Dongwan has donated through ‘Love’s Request’. He previously donated 10,000,000 KRW (approximately 9,300 USD) to those who were affected by the 2003 Daegu subway tragedy. In 2008, he donated 20,000,000 KRW (approximately 18,600 USD) for the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, and 12,000,000 KRW (approximately 11,000 USD) to the 2010 Yeonpyung violence victims, donating over 100,000,000 KRW (approximately $93,000 USD) total.

Dongwan’s label said, “Usually, Dongwan donates without even telling the label. However, this time he wished he could help at least a little in rousing the public’s attention of helping the 58 who suffered as comfort women that are still alive.”

Source: News1
via allkpop: news article here

Isn't he amazing? I love this guy....