Hi, everyone. Wednes here :)

I'm here to share the marvelous original soundtracks from the 2016 film ' Love, Lies' and their origins. If you haven't watched the film, you should never miss out! It's really a deep story with grand production, starring Han Hyojoo, Chun Woohee and Yoo Yeonseok as leads. If you need me to elaborate how great it is, please read my review here. This movie and its music deserve a whole lot more recognition.

For those who haven't seen the film (you can still listen to the songs below): This movie sets in 1943 to 1945, at the very end of Korea under Japanese rule era, and it has a music theme. The two female leads are trained "gisaengs" or traditional singers. At one point in the movie, they also turn to singing "pop music" of that era, which we now call "trot". Yoo Yeonseok, taking the role of male lead, plays a music composer. He doesn't sing in this movie, but he plays the piano. Another character you need to know is Lee Nanyeong (played by actress and singer Cha Jiyeon) who is a very popular trot singer in the story. This character really existed in real life, and she was a really popular singer in Korea back then.

Throughout the movie, you will see these characters performing both traditional Korean songs called "jeongga" and popular music of that era we now call "trot". Below is the list of songs included in the original soundtrack album. Some songs really existed in real life back then, and one song in particular (track 10) has a really interesting history I thought I should share.

b1zaW5x4_1d48a5_f.jpg

Album Title: Love, Lies OST
Music Director: Lee Byunghoon
Genre: Original soundtrack
Release Date: April 18, 2016
Copyright: Monday Brunch
Total Track Number: 11

Track 01

Artist: Han Hyojoo (한효주)
Song Title: Love, Lies (Traditional Jeongga Version) (계면조 평거 "사랑, 거즛말이")
Arrangement: Lee Byunghoon

In the Film: The song is written by Kim Yoonwoo (Yoo Yeonseok) and is his last gift for Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo). She performs this version in front of him at the scene where he comes to her to find Seo Yeonhee after he's released from prison. The scene is at around 1 hour 37 minutes mark.

The official title for this song is written as 사랑, 거말이 /sa-rang, geo-jeut-ma-ri/ while the original music score shown in the movie is 사랑, 거말이 /sa-rang, geo-jit-ma-ri/. Both have the same meaning, but the one shown in the movie uses modern Korean word for "Lie", and the official track title on the album uses old Korean which has the same pronunciation as in the lyrics.

Meaning: "His love is all lies. His words that told me he would see me in my dreams were all lies. If he doesn't sleep with me, in which dreams would I see him?" A sad song expressing a woman's broken heart after realizing that a man's love for her is a lie. 

Origin: The original version of this song was written and performed by a traditional jeongga ensemble called "Soul Jigi" (소울지기). Listen to the original version below. It's reeeeeally beautiful. Do not skip!

Track 02 - Title Song

Artist: Chun Woohee (천우희)
Song Title: Joseon's Heart (조선의 마음)
Lyrics: Song Haejin, Chun Woohee
Composer: Lee Byunghoon

In the Film: Performed by Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee), the song is her debut song as a pop ("trot") singer and is written for her by Kim Yoonwoo (Yoo Yeonseok). He initially wrote this song for Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo) and said that "music should belong to citizens in every social class" and not only those of high social statuses that only listen to traditional Jeongga. Thus, he named the song "Joseon's Heart".

Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo) also performed this song at the end of the film in year 1991 as she claims to be Seo Yeonhee. (There's no available video clip of this scene online. In the film it starts around 1 hour 45 minutes mark.)

Meaning: "Tears, please become rain. Sorrow, please become storm. Silence, please become thunder." The song expresses Joseon people's sadness under the control of the Japanese during that period.

Origin: This song was originally written for this movie and is one of their 3 title songs. Did you notice that Chun Woohee also contributed to the lyrics? Awesomesauce.

Track 03

Artist: Han Hyojoo (한효주), Chun Woohee (천우희)
Song Title: Spring Lady (봄 아가씨)
Lyrics: Nam Poongwol
Composer: Moon Howol

In the Film: Performed by the two lead female characters Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo) and Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee) at Yeonhee's debut performance after-party (the scene is at the very middle point of its 2-hour runtime). It's their cover of their favorite artist Lee Nanyoung (Cha Jiyeon)'s hit song.

Meaning: "Spring Lady's first love is blossoming." The song expresses a girl's first love in a very upbeat tone.

Origin: Famous trot singer Lee Nanyoung (이난영) really existed in real life during 1916-1965. This was one of her hit songs. Listen to the original version below.

Track 04

Song Title: A Spring Day's Dream (봄날의 꿈)
Lyrics: Lee Byunghoon, Im Yoojung

In the Film: Performed by Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee) as a cover of Lee Nanyoung (Cha Jiyeon)'s hit song at Lee Nanyoung's concert/outdoor performance. The song was composed by hit composer Kim Yoonwoo (Yoo Yeonseok) under his alias Choi Chirim (최치림). It was also Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo) and Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee)'s favorite song.

Meaning: "Spring wind blows in my heart. I should go see him. I feel so good." The song expresses a woman's happiness when she's in love.

Origin: This song was written specifically for this film. In the film, it appears as Lee Nanyoung's hit song, but this song never existed in real life. Famous trot singer Lee Nanyoung (이난영) did exist in real life during 1916-1965. The "original" version by character Lee Nanyoung is in track 7 below.

Track 05

Artist: Cha Jiyeon (차지연)
Song Title: Welcome / Please Come Quickly (어서 오세요)
Lyrics: Kim Inhyung

In the Film: Performed by Lee Nanyoung (Cha Jiyeon) as one of her own hit songs, the song appears only for a short glimpse at her concert/outdoor performance scene.

Meaning: "Please come to me. Please come with the wind. I've been waiting for you." The song expresses a woman's happiness as she waits for her loved one.

Origin: This song was written specifically for this film. In the film, it appears as Lee Nanyoung's hit song, but this song never existed in real life. Famous trot singer Lee Nanyoung (이난영) did exist in real life during 1916-1965.

Track 06

Song Title: Youth's Tune (청춘별곡)
Lyrics: Lee Byunghoon, Lee Soyoung, Ha Won, Kang Chaeyoon, Lee Sangwoon

In the Film: Performed by Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee) as one of the tracks in her debut album at her debut concert.

Meaning: "Please don't go, my youth. Today I wait again for my destiny to come." The song expresses a lady in her youthful days who rejects every man's offer to take care of her but at the same time she also dreams of meeting her fated loved one.

Origin: The song was written specifically for this film.

Track 07 - Title Song

Song Title: A Spring Day's Dream (봄날의 꿈)
Lyrics: Lee Byunghoon, Im Yoojung

In the Film: The song appears one of famous singer Lee Nanyoung (Cha Jiyeon)'s hit songs which the two leads Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo) and Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee) really likes. Lee Nanyoung never performs this song in the film, but the album appears at a record store front where Jung Soyul first expresses her love for the singer to Kim Yoonwoo (Yoo Yeonseok). Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee) later covers the song at Lee Nanyoung's outdoor concert (track 4).

Meaning: "Spring wind blows in my heart. I should go see him. I feel so good." The song expresses a woman's happiness when she's in love.

Origin: This song was written specifically for this film. In the film, it appears as Lee Nanyoung's hit song, but this song never existed in real life. Famous trot singer Lee Nanyoung (이난영) did exist in real life during 1916-1965. The cover version by character Seo Yeonhee is in track 4 above.

Track 08

Song Title: Spring Lady (봄 아가씨)
Lyrics: Nam Poongwol
Composer: Moon Howol

In the Film: The song appears one of famous singer Lee Nanyoung (Cha Jiyeon)'s hit songs which the two leads Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo) and Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee) really likes. Lee Nanyoung never performs this song in the film, but the two lead ladies perform a cover of this song at Yeonhee's debut concert after-party (track 03).

Meaning: "Spring Lady's first love is blossoming." The song expresses a girl's first love in a very upbeat tone.

Origin: Famous trot singer Lee Nanyoung (이난영) really existed in real life during 1916-1965. This was one of her hit songs. Her original version is included under the 'origin' section of track 03 above.

Track 09

Song Title: Mokpo's Tears (목포의 눈물)
Lyrics: Moon Ilseok
Composer: Son Mokin

In the Film: Performed by Lee Nanyoung (Cha Jiyeon) as one of her hit songs at her "Mokpo's Tears" performance in the beginning of the movie (starts around 11 minutes into the film). Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo) and Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee) goes to see this performance together and Jung Soyul's voice explains their love for popular music ("trot") in the narration.

Meaning: "The new bride is waiting by the port. Her clothes are soaked in tears." Mokpo is a port city in Korea. It is also singer Lee Nanyoung's hometown. The song expresses a newlywed bride's sadness over her farewell with her husband who goes out to the sea. It can either mean he leaves to fish/work, or he breaks up with her and leaves to another place.

Origin: Famous trot singer Lee Nanyoung (이난영) really existed in real life during 1916-1965. This was considerably her greatest hit. It is still one of the most famous old songs in Korea to this day. It's been performed many times over the years in musicals Seopyeonje (서편제), Mozart!, Rebecca, Marie Antoinette etc. Listen to the original version below. It's AMAZING. Don't skip!

Track 10

Song Title: In Praise of Death / Psalm of Death / Hymn of Death / Death Song (사의 찬미)
Lyrics: Yoon Shimdeok
Composer: Ion Ivanovici

In the Film: Performed by Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee) at the café after she realizes that Kim Yoonwoo (Yoo Yeonseok) is the famous composer Choi Chirim. Kim Yoonwoo (Yoo Yeonseok) performed the piano for this song (or more like Yoo Yeonseok did). Supposedly he randomly picked this song because it was one of the hit songs from 1926 (while this film is set in 1943-1945).

Meaning

Origin: Ahh... this song. This song was written and performed by the famous soprano singer Yoon Shimdeok (1897-1926). The melody of this song was from Romanian composer Ion Ivanovici's 'Donauwellen Walzer' or 'Waves of the Danube'. Yoon Shimdeok was the very first female soprano singer to achieve a breakthrough in Korea. She was active for only 2 years (1924-1926) before committing suicide by jumping into the river with the man she loved on the way back to Korea after finishing her recording of this album in Japan. In the original version, her sister performed the piano. Listen to the original version below.

Track 11 - Title Song / Ending Theme

Song Title: Love, Lies (사랑, 거즛말이)
Composer: Sung Yeram

In the Film: Performed by Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo), the song is written by Kim Yoonwoo (Yoo Yeonseok) and is his last gift for her. This song appears at the end of the film (year 1991) as one of Jung Soyul's songs as a pop ("trot") singer from the year 1945. Track 01 above is the traditional jeongga arrangement of this song.

The official title for this song is written as 사랑, 거말이 /sa-rang, geo-jeut-ma-ri/ while the original music score shown in the movie is 사랑, 거말이 /sa-rang, geo-jit-ma-ri/. Both have the same meaning, but the one shown in the movie uses modern Korean word for "Lie", and the official track title on the album uses old Korean which has the same pronunciation as in the lyrics.

Meaning: "His love is all lies. His words that told me he would see me in my dreams were all lies. If he doesn't sleep with me, in which dreams would I see him?" A sad song expressing a woman's broken heart after realizing that a man's love for her is a lie.

Origin: The original version of this song was written and performed by a traditional jeongga ensemble called "Soul Jigi" (소울지기). Listen to the original version under the 'origin' section of track 01.

Songs that weren't included in the official OST

Song Title: Il-gak-i (일각이)

In the Film: Performed by Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo) in front of famous singer Lee Nanyoung (Cha Jiyeon) at the singer's house. There's no clip available online, but the scene starts at around 22 minutes into the film.

Meaning & Origin: /Il-gak-i/ means a quarter of an hour, or 15 minutes. This song expresses how "15 minutes feels like a lifetime." It's one of Korea's traditional songs.

Song Title: Il-so-baek-mi-saeng-i (일소백미생이)

In the Film: Performed by Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo) in front of Japanese police commissioner (Park Sungwoong) as she represents the gisaeng academy as their best singer.

Meaning & Origin: The title means "One smile shows a hundred coquetries ("aegyo")". It's one of Korea's traditional songs.

My final unorganized notes:

• I know this film isn't about singer Yoon Shimdeok, but I wish they emphasized a bit more on her song 'Hymn of Death' (Track 10). Check out films Yoon Shim Deok (윤심덕, 1969) and Death Song (사의 찬미, 1991) for her life story. I'm still on a hunt for both films. Need to see them now.

• Casting  Cha Jiyeon as singer Lee Nanyoung was the best decision ever. I mean, not only she sounds amazing, she also resembles the real Lee Nanyoung!

• Han Hyojoo and Chun Woohee proved in this film that they're not only pretty and great actresses, but they can also sing! I personally prefer Han Hyojoo's sweet voice, but I agree with the story in this film that Chun Woohee's voice would be a lot more popular during that era.

• Yoo Yeonseok may have not personally composed all those songs like his character has claimed to in the film, but he was responsible for playing the piano in the film. The piano in the OSTs, though, was performed by another pianist. He also practiced 'Arirang' (아리랑) (Korean folk song, unofficial national anthem) for months for  this heartbreaking scene.

• MBC long-run variety show Mystic TV: Surprise also made  an episode called Joseon's song (조선의 노래) (click to watch on YouTube without subs) about singer Lee Nanyoung in a mockumentary format. Girl group April's member Chaewon took the role of Lee Nanyoung, but she didn't sing the entire song, her voice was partly dubbed with Lee Nanyoung's voice. Clips from Love, Lies also appeared in this episode.

• My favorite soundtrack has got to be Track 09: Mokpo's Tears, and Track 02: Joseon's Heart. I also prefer Cha Jiyeon's versions over Chun Woohee's covers. And I prefer the original version of Love, Lies by Soul Jigi.

There are four more songs that were part of the story but we never get to hear: 

1. Thorn Flower / Cactus Flower (가시꽃) written by Kim Yoonwoo (Yoo Yeonseok) for Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee). We can see him writing this song in the middle scene of this film which is followed by the turning point of the plot. The song title represents the kind of existence Yeonhee is for Soyul (Han Hyojoo). She's a flower, a beautiful thing, but she has thorns which can hurt.

2. A Woman's Smile (여인의 미소) performed by Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo) as one of her debut songs as a pop ("trot") singer. We can hear her sing only one line of it, followed by the composer's rage at how her voice and singing method doesn't suit this type of music. Before this scene, we can see Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee)'s Joseon's Heart album being replaced by this album in the record store front.

3. Spring's Pure Love (봄날의 순정) performed by Jung Soyul (Han Hyojoo) as one of her pop ("trot") songs. We never get to hear it, but we can see this album placed on the record store front and Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee) is shown looking at it sadly. The scene is at around 1 hour 22 minutes into the film.

4. Unidentified Japanese song performed by Seo Yeonhee (Chun Woohee) at the scene where she becomes the Governor General's special singer at their event. The scene is at around 1 hour 26 minutes mark.

Bonus:

In this interview with the cast of 'Love, Lies', Han Hyojoo sang a verse of jeongga 'Il-gak-i' (일각이)
and Chun Woohee sang a verse of 'A Spring Day's Dream' (봄날의 꿈, Track 04).
The 'meaning' section of Track 10 is missing. It should be the following:

Meaning: "The world that's made of tears. If I die, will it all stop? Even if you try so hard to live, it will all become useless one day anyway." The song expresses the singer's sorrow as she contemplates life and whether it's worth to continue living.

*gasps* And the owner/original singer of this song committed suicide after recording this? I can't even...
Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
I can't believe I got to read about a Romanian composer here. He is also known as Iosif or Ivan Ivanovici. 
My fav waltz. :) Thank you for your great information! Hopefully, you will write some articles too. :P Never losing the opportunity to mention this. :))
@YuanWei: I was torn between Iosif and Ion, and even Josef! But his English Wikipedia page says Ion so... The waltz sounds reeeeally familiar to me, but I don't think I ever heard of his name before. (Forgive me, I try to say that I like classical music but in the end I just get Beethoven, Mozart, Bach and everyone mixed up like a noob I always am.) Thanks for reading though ♡ And that last mention :P :P :P
Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
@Wednes On the Romanian Wiki page, it says Iosif first =)) also, you can mostly find it as Iosif on YT & Google if I'm not wrong :)) 

It's a famous waltz. It's called 'Valurile Dunarii' in Romanian or how I liked to called it 'Pe Valurile Dunarii' ('On the Waves of the Danube' OTL)
I think most people think it's by Strauss (the son).

What can I say? People love to attribute the things my country created to other countries. The disadvantages of a small country that only protected its land. (sorry, a bit bitter about our history lolz)

I like classical music but I'm not an expert since there is a lot of good music out there that must be discovered so I don't have the time to only focus on it =)) But I luckily don't mix the main composers :)) one of the good things dad did for us was to 'force' us to listen to a variety of music :)) 
I need a proper lesson on classical music. I mean, I had this phase in my life when I tried to get into classical music alone and I still ended up failing miserably. I only remember a few really famous songs correctly. Like, I can only tell Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise right away when I hear them. That's how noob I am. I guess it's because I grew up in America where classical music era is not really part of its history. And I'm Korean lol. All I listened to when I was young was Korean trot music... and Disney.

I would love to edit the composer's name in my post, but MDL has this issue where long posts can't be edited. I already suggested this to be fixed in the support forum. Let's see how it goes :) Thanks for your info though! 

You need to listen to Song So Hee
@Juniko: Hi! Thank you for the suggestion, but a friendly reminder here: this thread is under the discussion for movie 'Love, Lies'.

I know Song Sohee, btw. She does have a lovely voice. Her area of expertise is in Pansori, however, not Jeongga. There's a slight difference. I'd love to hear her sing one of these joengga songs from this movie though. Thanks for the song!

I just realized that that could come off as mean. Please join in the discussion if you see this ;__;
More reasons to watch this movie~!
WOW HAn hyo joo is a really good singer!
i dont know the other actresses but are they singers?
Did they all practice singing just for this movie??
That live singing at the interview was a big surprise :0
@Jen: The second lead actress Chun Woohee is not a singer, but she's sung in her other movies before. Cha Jiyeon, though, is both an actress and a singer. All of them, including Han Hyojoo, took lessons before filming. I'm sure they practiced for months! I was stunned when I watched the live singing too. It was too short. I crave more...
i know han hyo joo is beautiful but now i like her as singer too.. goosebumps
i know that waltz too i can play it on piano ^^ korean version is so sad
I like to read ur posts as always.. sorry for my bad english Wednes! haha i hope to write longer
I watched the movie and i loved every song!
my favorite has gotta be Joseon's Heart!
that performance down the stairs was so on point..
I noticed that the good songs are mostly by Cha ji yeon on this album
i know the story is not about her
I wish she sang longer parts in the movie tho~

hii, thank you for this great info. I searched various websites about this movie and its music but all I found was the history behind this, in just a few lines. I liked all of the songs but my favorite was spring day's spring dream. Can I know any similar songs of that era if you are aware of any?