Weird thought - and I'm probably way off base and reading too much into it - But what if Jonathan isn't just a 'nice human man'? What if he plans to do something bad to Sun Mi? Did anyone else think it was strange that he drew her with a white bull (basically Ma Wang)? He came to Korea to make a movie about her and her special abilities - and comes to Ma Wang? I mean the show has pretty much set up that it's the evil inside of people that's creating the evil spirits. And he is kind of weird. He is supposed to be a 'normal' human, but doesn't question at all her abilities (whereas 'normal' Han Joo is kind of scared of them and a little bit of her. He also doesn't quite believe them even though he works with her every day) and just takes it at face value. I mean, that seems a little suspect in itself.

I don't know - it was just a thought that occurred to me last night. It'll probably amount to nothing. LOL!

i enjoyed this point of view I've never though about it . and that way it would be much more interesting

now, when i think,there must be possibility

from now on,i will pay more attention to this

I think he is going to be the reason she leaves Oh Gong. Hong sisters love their separation so I think Jonathan is going to be like come away with me to America and she might or might not go. I only thought of that now.  I hope he isn't evil because the poor girl needs a break from people trying to use her. I did find it weird he drew her with the cow... maybe you have a point here....Idk anymore

Unnie25:

i do not want her to do that... how dare is she to leave him??if it happens, he has the right to kill her

Yeah, I don't want her to leave him either. At least not of her own will.

It's entirely possible for him have a nefarious agenda but if he did I'd think it isn't against Sun Mi. He might be using her to get to any of the other characters or just something supernatural related. I think he would have to be human though because if he was possessed or another creature Oh Gong or Ma Wang would have realized it really fast, unless maybe he was a more powerful god type. Like was said before I hope he is just the basic second male lead type. If so he's just there to be her friend when she needs encouraged, make the leads jealousy,  prove she is desirable to others/has options, but most important help female leads understand that she doesn't love any man as much or other than the male lead ha ha! I don't know if she will go away though. I think it's possible he will be the one to leave. Like they come to the end of the task and he sacrifices himself for her. So she thinks he is gone but years down the road shows up.(They can make her call to him when she is in danger and he is brought back like the painting.) Then they can end the show keeping her human, him as an unknown being, and leave it open ended without dealing with the hurdles. Or maybe the mission is not what they expect and Oh Gong does something to get punished again so is imprisoned. Or they could even do the amnesia/next life cliche where they have to find each other again. 

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they just end it without an open ending. They finish the mission, are together, but you don't know how or if they actually stay together in the future. Just that love conquers all and they are determined to make it work. 

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the big bad guy is bu ju's killer. They said he is a possible  future presidential candidate right? And he is bad, ambitious, and now is suspicious about the supernatural stuff. I thought he was a demon or something at first. But it seems like he might just be a heavily influential greedy human that tries to acquire a supernatural advantage to rule the world? Become immortal? Idk exactly but typical super evil bad guy thoughts ha ha. 

fz_mj:

i do not want her to do that... how dare is she to leave him??if it happens, he has the right to kill her

Lol I know me either

Oh, so I wasn't the only one who thought about something like that haha  Well, let's wait and see. 

Well, even if I end up being wrong, at least I know I wasn't alone! :)

Plushie:

Oh, so I wasn't the only one who thought about something like that haha  Well, let's wait and see. 

@ my drama obsession 

I agree with your thoughts 

( I could not find a like button like in the feeds , so commented here instead )

I know that Jonathan is a just a human. I just don't think he's a just a 'nice guy' possibly. And when I say that he might do something bad to Sun Mi, I meant because of her powers or in order to gain something from  Son Oh Gong or Ma Wong. 

(Sorry - for some reason it won't let me type *under* the quote. I don't know what I'm doing wrong!)

MyDramaObsession:
It's entirely possible for him have a nefarious agenda but if he did I'd think it isn't against Sun Mi. He might be using her to get to any of the other characters or just something supernatural related. I think he would have to be human though because if he was possessed or another creature Oh Gong or Ma Wang would have realized it really fast, unless maybe he was a more powerful god type.

Dunno about the Jonathan character, but if they follow somewhat to the original Journey to the West story......there's a scene where the monk planned to sacrifice his life for Sun Wukong but upon learning of his master's sacrifice, WuKong finally understood that the monk only wanted what's best for him and offered himself instead. He was re-born as a mortal to live through a mortal's karma. Similarly, if Son Oh Gong is supposed to be the one bringing death to Jin Sun Mi - it could be because she might ended up sacrificing herself for him and he for her....in which case, he might lose his powers and become mortal - which will lead to the happily ever after typical of every KDrama.

I'm probably reading too much into it. I haven't gotten to watch past episode 10 yet, but I did rewatch that episode last night and I'm re-thinking my theory. Jonathan probably really is just a nice guy that is fairly useless in the story. (I still find him a little creepy though! LOL)

I just thought it was weird how he even knew anything about a white bull (Ma Wong). And doesn't even flinch at the fact that she has a supernatural power. j

As far as, the following goes....that's a little off topic, sorry. I was only posing a theory about how Jonathan might fit into this story.

Aryael:

Dunno about the Jonathan character, but if they follow somewhat to the original Journey to the West story......there's a scene where the monk planned to sacrifice his life for Sun Wukong but upon learning of his master's sacrifice, WuKong finally understood that the monk only wanted what's best for him and offered himself instead. He was re-born as a mortal to live through a mortal's karma. Similarly, if Son Oh Gong is supposed to be the one bringing death to Jin Sun Mi - it could be because she might ended up sacrificing herself for him and he for her....in which case, he might lose his powers and become mortal - which will lead to the happily ever after typical of every KDrama.

@kingsqueen I could be wrong but I think the way they explain at least some of his knowledge of Sun mi is because she told him. He said his script is based on her story and he knew about her fairy. Since they were both kids we don't know how she described Ma Wang from when they first met, or how she described other things that could have led Jonathan to create a fairytale visual that he did. He knew from back then she was special, saw scary stuff and admired her bravery. Honestly, I can't say for sure that he doesn't know something more than he lets on but if he doesn't I wouldn't be surprised otherwise. Manufacturing ridiculous coincidences is pretty standard in most kdrama ha ha. I'm sure most of the writer conversations start with the ending/outcome and work backwards how to get there. (At least that's how I do it for minor plot devices and side characters.) You never know though with kdrama ha ha that's why they are so crazy fun.

Aryael:

I keep thinking he will sacrifice himself for her and they will work the calling him back to her part into the story for the end. It might be way too predictable but it's such a romantic idea that's already part of the love story theme. I seriously could be wrong because it has that Goblin feel though doesn't it ha ha. She can call him to her from nothingness because of the contract is so freaking similar but you never know.