Hello from ireland
I got into korean dramas after watching a number of korean movies one after the other, and was surprised at how good they all were. So I wondered if there were any korean dramas available. Nope, couldn't find a one :) This was back around 2012, i guess. The Chaser was one of the movies. I can't recall the others. But I watch asian dramas from other countries too.

How we getting on? How nice to find another Irish soul on this what kind of genre are you interested in so I can help?! 
Hi Kate. I just look good acting, good stories. I live in carlow, by the way.
I'm male, and straight, so have no interest in pretty boys.
pretty girls yes, :), but acting ability is more important.

hey, irish! you will probably like some of these (in no particular order):

Missing Noir M
Cruel City
Bad Guys
Special Affairs Team TEN (1 & 2, there might be a 3 soon-ish)
Hidden Identity
Last
My Beautiful Bride
Two Weeks
Three Days

Maybe even:
Secret Investigation Record (basically X Files set in ancient Korea)
Liar Game
I Remember You
Ghost
Inspiring Generation
Gap Dong
White Christmas

they are all some mixture of action/thriller/mystery/crime/suspense with production values closer to the western standards.

for something more introspective I'd recommend:

Incomplete Life
Awl (it's airing right)

btw there is a recommendation subforum where you can find all sort of things and post more request if you have them :)
I saw the title Hows she cuttin and I knew you were from Ireland too! :D Don't come across much Irish people here!
Bad Guys is one of my favourite Korean dramas!! :D
Hi. it's nice to know that there are other irish people here. Have you wondered how a korean drama would go down on RTE.
my favourite dramas are
Soredemo, Ikite Yuku (a masterpiece)
city hall
the kingdom of the winds
some others i gave top marks to
what happens to my family
punch (the thriller)
The journey-tumultous times (singapore)
what happens to my family
There are a few others too, but can't remenember their titles.
most of the dramas mentioned here, i haven't seen except special affairs team, and white christmas.
Right now I'm concentrating on the journey-our homeland (singapore)
and the 4 part drama special
THE TRUE COLORS
Thanks for suggestions and recs.

Are you sure you are ready for kdrama lore yet? :)
I also started with kmovies (about 10-12 years ago), there are a lot of good ones. But one day I asked my friend to buy some Kmovies on his holiday abroad and he accidentally bought a drama with same title as movie. That was my first step into Kdrama. And now - My name is "Beep, beep" and i am an addict.

Some of my suggestions (I will cut out the ones from previous posts - they are quiet good "reco"):

Ghost (2012) (crime, hackers, detectives, conspiracy, "phantom of the opera" ...)

History of the Salaryman (2012) (business comedy, "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" parody, with some drops of "melo", in my opinion the best Kcomedy)

IRIS (2009) (unglamorous spy drama, betrayal, revenge, listening IRIS OST - track "Destiny Love" + memories of drama = my heart stops beating)

The King of Dramas (2012) (comedy/parody of drama making, fast story + of course what would be kdrama without melodramatic moments)

All In (2003) (old style kdrama - could be inconvenient, gambling, betrayal, revenge)

Bad Guy (2010) (suspenseful revenge melodrama, I didn't think I would watch this but I got immersed with story, acting and soundtrack)

H.I.T (2007) (detectives, serial killers, for true crime fans maybe,...)

Tazza (2008) (another gambling revenge drama, the recipe "try hard -> get betrayed -> go to prison -> get better with enemies of your enemy-> take revenge" is quite common in kdrama and kmovies :)

Sign (2011) (crime, investigation, forensics, speedy story,...)

ETC.

If you manage to see and like any of this drama, just ask for reco or check my dramalist.
Thank's again. I've seeen Iris, The King of Dramas.
But once I'm finished THE TRUE COLORS,
I think the next one I'll be looking at will be
Ishi no Mayu

I'm presuming she's using scissors :p
Aha, you are into Jdrama too.
Than maybe some good stories:

Guilty Akuma to Keiyakushita Onna (2010)
Hanzawa Naoki (2013)
Kaseifu no Mita (2011)
Long Goodbye (2014)
RTE don't show any quality tv any more.... They could do with airing a Korean drama! xD
kreps, To put it simply, i like to watch foreign language (ie, non english) dramas
So dramas from any of the countries indexed here. But also french, swedish, german, russian, ec etc. you
get the idea.
I've seen the long goodbye. As Raymond Chandler is my favourite, i was particurly to see this adaption.
my review is in the comments section
I've also seen Guilty Akuma to Keiyakushita Onna

Hi, I'm from Ireland too. :)
My recommendations to you would be:
I Hear Your Voice, Heart To Heart, School 2013, Cheer Up, Good Doctor, Coffee Prince, The Master's Sun, You Who Came From The Stars,
Love Rain, Plus Nine Boys, Kill Me/Heal Me, Who Are You?, Nine Times Time Travel, Scholar Who Walks The Night, A Tree With Deep Roots, Valid Love. 
The Lover(if you like sexy/funny shows)

Japanese dramas: :Last Cinderella, Boku na Ita Jiken, Flowers For Algernon.
Some of these dramas have romantic elements but it's not the entire focus(apart from Love Rain).

Saw 9 times spiral.
cliff robertson won an oscar in the film version of flowers for alfernon.
Thanks for tips.