MDL Movie Page[/URL]
Click for more info ^

Departures (おくりびと Okuribito) is a 2008 Japanese film by Yōjirō Takita. It won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 81st Oscars in 2009.

Cast
Masahiro Motoki as Diago Kobayashi
Ryōko Hirosue as Mika Kobayashi
Kazuko Yoshiyuki as Tsuyako Yamashita, a woman running a sentō
Tsutomu Yamazaki as Shōei Sasaki, president of NK Agency
Kimiko Yo as Yuriko Uemura, an employee of NK Agency
Takashi Sasano as Shōkichi Hirata, a regular customer of Tsuyako's sentō
Tetta Sugimoto as Yamashita, a son of Tsuyako, Daigo's old classmate
Toru Minegishi as Toshiki Kobayashi, Daigo's father
Tarō Ishida as Mr. Sonezaki, the owner of Daigo's orchestra

[U]Trailer

I watched this film yesterday and I absolutely loved it. Who else has watched it? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you find it beautiful or simply a bore?
me!! me!!!...absolutely beautiful movie...a tad bit slow but like you say in your review..you don't really realize it because the movie is just that good..although i did doze off in between but it had nothing to do with the movie..it was because i hadn't slept for more than 20 hours lol
KamZ wrote: me!! me!!!...absolutely beautiful movie...a tad bit slow but like you say in your review..you don't really realize it because the movie is just that good..although i did doze off in between but it had nothing to do with the movie..it was because i hadn't slept for more than 20 hours lol

It was past 4 am for you by the time the movie finished...lol

And it was a beautiful touching film. Although, his wife did annoy me a few times...lol
Big deal.. a man cleaning dead bodies.. Where is the emotional impact here? Evocative? Let's be serious, the only thing it can evoke is the boredom. Oscar prize? Winning one is only about being at the right place at the right time and giving money to the right person when it's needed.
KamZ wrote: me!! me!!!...absolutely beautiful movie...a tad bit slow but like you say in your review..you don't really realize it because the movie is just that good..although i did doze off in between but it had nothing to do with the movie..it was because i hadn't slept for more than 20 hours lol

LisNoir wrote: It was past 4 am for you by the time the movie finished...lol

And it was a beautiful touching film. Although, his wife did annoy me a few times...lol

You both make it sound so good, I might watch it :p
Sleepninja wrote: You both make it sound so good, I might watch it :p

I really did enjoy it, but the film is not for everyone...LOL
I saw this thread here and noticed this won an Oscar! Huh! I'm gonna check it out. I ordered it from Netflix and it should be here by Tuesday. D says he wants to see it too. I did a double take when that came out of his mouth. Okay then! I'll let you know what I thought after we've watched.
Jeaniessi wrote: I saw this thread here and noticed this won an Oscar! Huh! I'm gonna check it out. I ordered it from Netflix and it should be here by Tuesday. D says he wants to see it too. I did a double take when that came out of his mouth. Okay then! I'll let you know what I thought after we've watched.

I hope you guys enjoy it. And even if you don't let's discuss it. :D
LisNoir wrote: I hope you guys enjoy it. And even if you don't let's discuss it. :D

Oh I will be back!
Jeaniessi wrote: Oh I will be back!

Deal! I wanna know what you thought about it. :)
it is a wonderful movie...and not because it won the oscars...like lis-ssi says this film might not be for everyone..it's not loud and in your face...it has a slow pace but the under current is brilliant..