I'm fairly new to the Asian Drama world but I love them! since I stumbled upon Kdrama's first that is what I know. I've watched one Japanese Drama and loved it but can't remember the name (lame) and one Tiawanese drama (MARS).

I need some advise from the experts on recommendations of some really great Japanese dramas to start with? Genre's I like: Romantic Comedy, Romantic Melodrama, Action/adventure and historical.

Any help would be very appreciated!! And also, if it's not a "no-no" maybe you could message me or post where I can find them to watch? Thank you so much in advance... Jeanie
oh to have an edit button... "Pros to a Newbie" no apostrophe "s". duh.
watch my list and you'll become drama guru like me............................ XDD

DON'T EVER WATCH ANNA-SAN NO OMAME! it's TOTAL waste of time
Hotaru no Hikari and Hotaru no Hikari 2 its a pretty good rom com..
Thanks to both of you! HR ~ I will check out your list. Phoenixtearz ~ I'll search for those on DramaCrazy!
jeanie65jh: I don't feel like a pro but maybe you would like Hanazakari to kimitachi e? It's a great commedy but the romantic part is better in TW version :) I don't know or I don't remember any melodrama but try Kagen no tsuki, it's twisted but it's Yazawa Ai's story after all :) And Tsubasa no oreta tenshitachi series?
Try Atashinchi no Danshi and Mei-chan no Shitsuji xD These really caught my attention xP

Oh and watch the new J-Drama called Muscle Girl too xD I don't know if you'll like it but the plot caught my attention :)

Taiyou no Uta(Movie) is good also but kinda sad... won't tell why xD

Nodame Cantabile will crack you up for sure xD Both the leading actress and actor are realllly good :D

Buzzer Beat is kind of sport-ish drama but it has some good romance you can look forward too... xD

Well, I'd love to add more but it seems that your thread will be flooded if I do xD I was trying not to add any spoilers but... I tried my best xP
Thanks! I have all weekend to get started watching!
I've read so many of your good and helpful reviews that I want to try to return the favor when I have the chance. :) I've watched only (checking my drama list) 18 Japanese dramas or movies, so I don't feel I'm an expert in the area either but I'd recommend at least the following ones:

Kimi wa petto My all time favorite. <3 It's a romantic comedy. Great characters and acting. Highly recommended!

Nodame cantabile Whether you liked classical music or not, this is a very entertaining and interesting drama.

Tatta Hitotsu no Koi A bit on the melodrama side. Very heart-warming drama with good actors.

Nobuta wo Produce It doesn't really belong to romance genre but I'd still highly recommend it. It's based on a book actually and maybe that explains why it is kind of more mature drama (allthough set on high school). Very likeable and realistic main characters and good acting.

Gokusen and Hana Yori Dango wouldn't be waste of your time either, I think.

Next I'll be waiting for your reviews of these Japanese dramas then! :)
Bloody Monday - Riveting, plot-twisting drama of a young computer hacker and terrorism.
Just when you think you know everything, a twist comes in, that makes the drama exciting.
Who is/are the traitor(s)? Who will die next?
It's also touching and heartwarming. The love of a father, brother, sister, friend, fiancee.
loyalty. science. nationalism. belief. cult. power. ambition.

Hotaru No Hikari - Heart-warming comedy about a girl who falls in love with a co-worker and finds herself co-habiting with her manager - she faces the challenge of having the courage to show her feelings and change her sloppy ways.
Although the ending was anti-climactic, the second season makes up for it. The humor and romance was never lost in the plot that defines this drama. The supporting casts did an incredible job adding interest to the plot.

Last Friends - Yes, there's a gay man and a gender-torn woman and affairs and violence. But in the end, this is show is about living and loving as a person. It's about being lonely when you're not even alone and about being broken and yet still breaking and friendships that really last.

This drama isn't pretty. It's not frou frou, it's not a fairy tale. However, it touches profound on its borders and through our three main characters' soliloquies.

The turmoil and the fear and the love and yearning and the PAIN was all in their faces and the directing of the movie was also great. If you don't watch this drama for anything else, perhaps watch it for just the superb cinematic-ness of it all.
Love Generation - This one is actually pretty down-to-Earth, not too much melodrama. Riko is slightly uber-cute, but she plays it off so well, that you entirely see where the appeal comes from. She's just incredibly playful, as opposed to childlike. Teppei is a well-rounded character, and very subtly played.

All in all, it's a very admirable drama. For some reason, I think I admire a lot of the older dramas because they were establishing the drama genre, they didn't have to compete with anything and could create more realistic plots. Nowadays, dramas have to surpass everything that precedes them, so they try to be creative in their plots--but the realism suffers.

Hanayome to Papa - A drama portraying the love between father and daughter in which later Seji joins in as a man who wants to marry Aiko. This drama had it all, it was funny, heartwarming, and some times even a little bit sad, just not too much.
WOW!!! What can I say? Every one of you has been so helpful and sweet. Very nicely done! thank you, thank you, thank you everyone!!!!
Sure thing! I hope you watch some awesome dramas. :D
Wheegeetemo wrote: I've read so many of your good and helpful reviews that I want to try to return the favor when I have the chance. :) I've watched only (checking my drama list) 18 Japanese dramas or movies, so I don't feel I'm an expert in the area either but I'd recommend at least the following ones:

Kimi wa petto My all time favorite. <3 It's a romantic comedy. Great characters and acting. Highly recommended!

Nodame cantabile Whether you liked classical music or not, this is a very entertaining and interesting drama.

Tatta Hitotsu no Koi A bit on the melodrama side. Very heart-warming drama with good actors.

Nobuta wo Produce It doesn't really belong to romance genre but I'd still highly recommend it. It's based on a book actually and maybe that explains why it is kind of more mature drama (allthough set on high school). Very likeable and realistic main characters and good acting.

Gokusen and Hana Yori Dango wouldn't be waste of your time either, I think.

Next I'll be waiting for your reviews of these Japanese dramas then! :)

all of these are amazing. also Hana Kimi is a must watch
Try watching these

My Boss, My Hero = School drama, comedy
JIN = medical, time-travel drama
Tokyo Dogs = comedy, detective drama
Galileo = intelligent detective drama
Attention Please = comedy, flight-attendant drama
Orange Days = romance, life drama
Proposal Daisakusen = romance, time-travel drama

Bold = Favorites! From being a k-drama watcher before, I came to like j-dramas more because of those.