The staple Hanazakari no Kimitachi e, of course! And the forever glorious Hana Yori Dango series!

Well, I can give you Yamada Taro Monogatari and Tokujo Kabachi among Arashi dramas. Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge is good too.
Aww lol I thought it was funny! But the ending was really weird...
Well~ we can begin with the major popular Japanese dramas.

Hana Yori Dango: Is a shojo type of drama and therefore revolves around teenage love and relationships. It's quite enjoyable and easy to get hooked into it which is always a plus whenever experimenting with new material. Also Hana Yori Dango has major actors and actresses as the lead characters; which you will come to love. May I also remind that this drama has a second season and a movie as follow ups.

Hana Kimi/Hanazakari no Kimitachi e: Another major popular drama back in 2007. Although this drama also involves love and relationships it lean more towards comedy than romance. I honestly didn't enjoy this drama as much as I did with Hana Yori Dango, but none of the less its really funny and quite relaxing to watch at a day's end. Also some actors to watch for is Ikuta Toma, Maki Horakita, Shirota Yu and Oguri Shun...they are all major actors.

Gokusen: This is more of a slice of life type of drama than romance or comedy. But, none of the less the drama situates itself usually in the school and 3D's class room with their homeroom teacher, Yankumi. Although it's nothing deep it touches on topics such as helping others and friendship. But to me the plus side to this drama series is that its a major IKEMEN (pretty boys) eye candy show case. All 3 seasons and final movie have a lot of idols as actors, but no worries they are pretty good. My personal favorite is the first season~~~

Now I shall recommend some dramas that I have personally watched and enjoyed very much.

Gou ~Himetachi no Sengoku~: A taiga drama (historical drama) involving several prominent historical figures. It's interesting drama if you like history and especially Japanese drama. I can't say much about this drama since it hasn't completely aired....but its an exceptional promising drama.

1 Litre of Tears: First off I must say I have a strong disdain for the main actress is this drama...her name is Sawajiri Erika but none of the less she's a good actress. Anyways, as the titles suggests this drama is quite a tear jerker and the drama revolves around a girl who has a terminal disease and the obstacles she must face. I highly recommend this drama especially for its story moral which is highly intriguing to contemplate on.

Bloody Monday: An action/suspense type of drama revolving a quite attractive genius hacker trying to save the world. Nuff said :3 oh and please do watch out for Haruma Miura who is a quite talented hacker -cough- I mean actor and also it has a second season.

Guilty Akuma to Keiyakushita Onna: Honestly out of all the I have recommended in this list...its one of the ones I liked the least. I mostly watched the drama because I love to see the ways the main character tries to kill the people who murdered her family. I might also add that it has an interesting plot twist at the end and their OST is quite interesting.

Jin: This is a medical/historical drama. Although at times it can be somewhat uncomfortable to watch Minakata Jin (main character) perform medical procedures its quite interesting. You will especially enjoy this if you like learning about Japanese history especially around the Meiji Restoration period. Jin is also currently airing its second season ^^

Kimi wa Petto: Overall this is one hella of weird drama. It involves the a woman who is an elite worker and a free loader who happens to be a dance prodigy. But, guess what their relationships is....nope its not lovers but owner and pet...yes PET. It's really cute and nearing towards the end love starts to spring around. The only actor I suggest looking out for is MatsuJun (Matsumoto Jun from the popular Japanese boyband Arashi).

Koizora: Oh gawd how do I begin with this one. This drama/movie is a MAJOR MAJOR tear jerker but its a romance drama so its not as deep as 1 Litre of Tears in terms of depth. This drama revolves around the undying bond between two people and it begins with the lead actress retelling her high school experience and her love relationships. Koizora has two versions the drama and movie version...although they are the same story they portray different sides. I personally like the movie better because emotionally wise its more avid and it has Haruma Miura and Aragaki Yui whom both are good actors. At the same time the drama version has more time screen and therefore can develop and show the story more extensively and the drama I think has Seto Koji as their lead actor not sure about the girl. Also one last thing I personally prefer the way Miura portrays Hiro...he's more gentle and heart warming than Koji's Hiro XDD

Liar Game: This is a suspense/action drama with a subtle hint of romance and comedy. I guess the most interesting aspect of this drama is their ability to come up with extremely clever ideas to cheat their opponents. Also at times the drama brushes on moral and human behavior which is quite intriguing. At last pay attention to Matsuda Shota and Erika Toda who are the main characters...they are both renown actors in Japan. Oh and it has a second season and a movie finale.

Mei-chan no Shitsuji: Well~ at first I didn't expect much out of this drama but as the drama went on its extremely hilarious. Basically the drama is about a girl and her butler....I don't want to say much so I don't ruin the fun. But yeah its totally fictional and just for fun ;3 Watch out for the butler (Mizushima Hiro) he's one hot butler ekekekekekeke

Mother: A rather deep and sort of depressing drama which involves a little girl who is abused by her parents and her teacher who kidnaps the girl to protect her. Ashida Mana is incredibly skilled in acting for such a young young age...also this drama has an incredible character/plot twist which is worth watching for.

Mr. Brain: Overall its a comedy detective type of drama featuring prominent entertainment figures as guest actors in the drama. It's quite useful if you want to get to know major actors, actresses and entertainers of Japan. It's also quite funny too ^^

Ninkyo Helper: I guess you can group this drama under a slice of life...its a mixture of just about everything. ROFL my recommendations are getting shorter and shorter as it goes down the list...but anyways its quite heartwarming drama. Also among all of the prominent actors present in this drama there is a child actor called Kato Seishiro who is another talented child actor. Overall a very very enjoyable drama.

Orthros Inu: This is one of those magic/mythology like drama with all sorts of plot twists.

Tatta Hitotsu no Koi: -phew- I am tired of writing but I am almost done. Anyways this drama like someone else said before me its quite melodrama like and tells a story of two young couples who fall in love but in the end they are not together. None of the less they reminiscence about their past experiences and love relationships its really cute drama. And as always a actor to pay attention is Kamenashi Kazuya and Tanaka Koki whom both belong to the major popular Japanese boyband KAT-TUN.
fifi8926 wrote: Well~ we can begin with the major popular Japanese dramas.

Hana Yori Dango: Is a shojo type of drama and therefore revolves around teenage love and relationships. It's quite enjoyable and easy to get hooked into it which is always a plus whenever experimenting with new material. Also Hana Yori Dango has major actors and actresses as the lead characters; which you will come to love. May I also remind that this drama has a second season and a movie as follow ups.

Hana Kimi/Hanazakari no Kimitachi e: Another major popular drama back in 2007. Although this drama also involves love and relationships it lean more towards comedy than romance. I honestly didn't enjoy this drama as much as I did with Hana Yori Dango, but none of the less its really funny and quite relaxing to watch at a day's end. Also some actors to watch for is Ikuta Toma, Maki Horakita, Shirota Yu and Oguri Shun...they are all major actors.

Gokusen: This is more of a slice of life type of drama than romance or comedy. But, none of the less the drama situates itself usually in the school and 3D's class room with their homeroom teacher, Yankumi. Although it's nothing deep it touches on topics such as helping others and friendship. But to me the plus side to this drama series is that its a major IKEMEN (pretty boys) eye candy show case. All 3 seasons and final movie have a lot of idols as actors, but no worries they are pretty good. My personal favorite is the first season~~~

Now I shall recommend some dramas that I have personally watched and enjoyed very much.

Gou ~Himetachi no Sengoku~: A taiga drama (historical drama) involving several prominent historical figures. It's interesting drama if you like history and especially Japanese drama. I can't say much about this drama since it hasn't completely aired....but its an exceptional promising drama.

1 Litre of Tears: First off I must say I have a strong disdain for the main actress is this drama...her name is Sawajiri Erika but none of the less she's a good actress. Anyways, as the titles suggests this drama is quite a tear jerker and the drama revolves around a girl who has a terminal disease and the obstacles she must face. I highly recommend this drama especially for its story moral which is highly intriguing to contemplate on.

Bloody Monday: An action/suspense type of drama revolving a quite attractive genius hacker trying to save the world. Nuff said :3 oh and please do watch out for Haruma Miura who is a quite talented hacker -cough- I mean actor and also it has a second season.

Guilty Akuma to Keiyakushita Onna: Honestly out of all the I have recommended in this list...its one of the ones I liked the least. I mostly watched the drama because I love to see the ways the main character tries to kill the people who murdered her family. I might also add that it has an interesting plot twist at the end and their OST is quite interesting.

Jin: This is a medical/historical drama. Although at times it can be somewhat uncomfortable to watch Minakata Jin (main character) perform medical procedures its quite interesting. You will especially enjoy this if you like learning about Japanese history especially around the Meiji Restoration period. Jin is also currently airing its second season ^^

Kimi wa Petto: Overall this is one hella of weird drama. It involves the a woman who is an elite worker and a free loader who happens to be a dance prodigy. But, guess what their relationships is....nope its not lovers but owner and pet...yes PET. It's really cute and nearing towards the end love starts to spring around. The only actor I suggest looking out for is MatsuJun (Matsumoto Jun from the popular Japanese boyband Arashi).

Koizora: Oh gawd how do I begin with this one. This drama/movie is a MAJOR MAJOR tear jerker but its a romance drama so its not as deep as 1 Litre of Tears in terms of depth. This drama revolves around the undying bond between two people and it begins with the lead actress retelling her high school experience and her love relationships. Koizora has two versions the drama and movie version...although they are the same story they portray different sides. I personally like the movie better because emotionally wise its more avid and it has Haruma Miura and Aragaki Yui whom both are good actors. At the same time the drama version has more time screen and therefore can develop and show the story more extensively and the drama I think has Seto Koji as their lead actor not sure about the girl. Also one last thing I personally prefer the way Miura portrays Hiro...he's more gentle and heart warming than Koji's Hiro XDD

Liar Game: This is a suspense/action drama with a subtle hint of romance and comedy. I guess the most interesting aspect of this drama is their ability to come up with extremely clever ideas to cheat their opponents. Also at times the drama brushes on moral and human behavior which is quite intriguing. At last pay attention to Matsuda Shota and Erika Toda who are the main characters...they are both renown actors in Japan. Oh and it has a second season and a movie finale.

Mei-chan no Shitsuji: Well~ at first I didn't expect much out of this drama but as the drama went on its extremely hilarious. Basically the drama is about a girl and her butler....I don't want to say much so I don't ruin the fun. But yeah its totally fictional and just for fun ;3 Watch out for the butler (Mizushima Hiro) he's one hot butler ekekekekekeke

Mother: A rather deep and sort of depressing drama which involves a little girl who is abused by her parents and her teacher who kidnaps the girl to protect her. Ashida Mana is incredibly skilled in acting for such a young young age...also this drama has an incredible character/plot twist which is worth watching for.

Mr. Brain: Overall its a comedy detective type of drama featuring prominent entertainment figures as guest actors in the drama. It's quite useful if you want to get to know major actors, actresses and entertainers of Japan. It's also quite funny too ^^

Ninkyo Helper: I guess you can group this drama under a slice of life...its a mixture of just about everything. ROFL my recommendations are getting shorter and shorter as it goes down the list...but anyways its quite heartwarming drama. Also among all of the prominent actors present in this drama there is a child actor called Kato Seishiro who is another talented child actor. Overall a very very enjoyable drama.

Orthros Inu: This is one of those magic/mythology like drama with all sorts of plot twists.

Tatta Hitotsu no Koi: -phew- I am tired of writing but I am almost done. Anyways this drama like someone else said before me its quite melodrama like and tells a story of two young couples who fall in love but in the end they are not together. None of the less they reminiscence about their past experiences and love relationships its really cute drama. And as always a actor to pay attention is Kamenashi Kazuya and Tanaka Koki whom both belong to the major popular Japanese boyband KAT-TUN.

Wow, you actually had the effort to type all that xD Without spoilers too (O^o^O)
To Yuri-Chan: Wow! I'm not going to put your whole post into quotes but THANK YOU! I've put some of those on my "plan to watch" list and I really appreciate your descriptions. And also...the time you took to type all that out. Wonderful!

Thanks so much to everyone! ~ Jeanie.
Your quite welcome Jeanie ^^
once you've watched a few and get to know what types of stories you like best, and also get to know some of the members here in the forums, you can snoop into other peoples' lists. if you notice that someone likes a lot of the same shows as you go through their list and try some of the ones they gave high ratings to.
i would never have watched Buzzer Beat except that i kept seeing people raving about it and they had similar tastes to me in other dramas so i gave it a shot and loved it. i love having this site cause now when i don't know what to watch, as well as being able to ask for recommendations in the forums, i can just pop into someone's list and go shopping haha (also it's harder to get recommendations the more you've watched, after a while people always suggest things you've seen already lol)
Wow Jeanie, so many recommendations, I wonder how you're going to sort this out.
After all, Japanese have some WONDERFUL dramas, I for one have a penchant for their style, which is unique. And since I don't want to make your list even longer than it already is, I'm going to list some which have already been mentioned: perhaps you can make a sum of the votes, lol. ;)

Orange Days - you won't regret watching this. It has some of the most memorable romantic lines I remember. And it gives you an idea of how Japanese portray friendship: in this sense, I think they are the best.

Tatta Hitotsu No Koi - one of my first obsessions. Wonderfully acted and delicate.

Nobuta Wo Produce - a classic. Hilarious, in a very clever way. Surreal. Heartwarming.

Love Shuffle - did anyone mention this one? Surprising, modern and brilliantly acted.

The list could go on... and on. But I believe Japanese dramas need some sort of "introduction" to be fully appreciated. Start with some and then, like Lady said, you'll know where to get more suggestions.
:D
kitajj wrote: Wow Jeanie, so many recommendations, I wonder how you're going to sort this out. :D

I actually have gone through everyone's suggestions and made a word document list. I copied and pasted opinions and descriptions because I have a feeling it is going to take longer than I want to get to some of them. I've also added some to my 'plan to watch' list.

From now until the end of May I'm so crazy busy with family coming in town (I HAVE TO CLEAN MY HOUSE!) and other "life" stuff, I won't be able to really get into one until things quiet down. ...as soon as they do I plan on having a MARATHON!

I didn't expect this thread to be so jam packed with everyone's great suggestions and recommendations. I know I've said thank you a lot but I really can't say it enough... Thank you EVERYONE!! Is it dorky that I'm really touched so many people responded?
^No worries...if you ever need help sorting out I'll be glad to give you my input ^^
Well being a newbie to Jdramas i thought i wld check out this thread for pointers thank you to all of you for putting in the effort to share your views i found it really helpful
BTW i am watching Tatta Hitotsu No Koi at the moment & will look forward to seeing some more Jdramas now whereas before i avoided them lol
all i watch are jdramas and jmovies so u can check out my list.

since u're interested in rom-coms i would recommend

hana yori dango1; 2 & the movie
hana kimi -the original not 2011 remake (one of the funniest dramas ever)
buzzer beat
ikemen desu ne
Natsu no Koi wa Nijiiro ni Kagayaku (matsujun is so kawaii in this one)
Propose Kyodai
stand up! (the funniest drama ever lol. think american pie in japanese)
zettai kareshi
love shuffle (cool modern day romance, funny and weird but real at the same time)
nagareboshi

movies:
my darling is a foreigner
highschool debut
honey and clover
shinobi heart under blade
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

my advice start by watching the work of actors or actresses u like and branch out from there then u will begin to get a feel for the type of dramas that you like or don't like.
Here are a few more romantic comedies that have couples who aren't teenagers:

Dramas
Anego
I've Been Married to Hell (A little corny, but entertaining)
Moteki (funnyyyy!)
Ohitorisama
Rebound (a little on the silly side)
Mirai Koshi Meguru (not strictly a rom-com, it may be more family)

Movies
How to Date an Otaku Girl
I just went through all this thread and made sure to add any I missed. I wanted to thank everyone again for the last months worth of recommendations everyone has so sweetly offered me. I've started getting into Jdramas now and there are some who have become some of my favorites. Pride, Love Shuffle, Liar Game series and Don Quixote among them! I watched Tatta Hitotsu No Koi and loved it as well. I downloaded Strawberry on the Shortcake and I'm saving it for a rainy day. and I'm currently downloading Nobuta wo Produce. So thank you again everyone! And of course if anyone can think of some dramas that haven't been mentioned here already...Go for it!
I'm definitely not a pro, but maybe you could watch Proposal Daisakusen! The Korean version will come out later this year, s better watch the original first! ;)
It's really funny and cute and awww. Plus, it has Yamapi in it! *-*