南極大陸~神の領域に挑ん

Title (romaji): Nankyoku Tairiku ~Kami no Ryouiki ni Idomunda Otoko to Inu no Monogatari~
Title (English): Antarctica ~The Story of Dogs and Men Who Challenged the Field of God~
Genre: Drama, adventure
Episodes: 10
Viewership rating: 17.3 (Kanto)
Broadcast network: TBS
Broadcast period: October 16, 2011 to December 18, 2011
Theme song: Arano yori by Nakajima Miyuki

Synopsis: A drama commemorating TBS's 60th anniversary, the story is about 11 members who were sent to the South Pole for the first time in February 1957 in a national project to explore Antartica. They were accompanied by a dogsled of 19 Sakhalin dogs. When they left for Japan a year later, they were forced to leave the dogs behind due to the bad weather. In January 1959, Kuramochi Takeshi and some others joined a third expedition to ascertain the fate of the dogs.

Based on a true story

Starring:
-Kimura Takuya as Kuramochi Takeshi
-Ayase Haruka as Takaoka Miyuki
-Sakai Masato as Himuro Haruhiko
-Yamamoto Yusuke as Inuzuka Natsuo
-Yoshizawa Hisashi as Yokomine Shinkichi
-Okada Yoshinori as Funaki Ikuzo
-Shiga Kotaro as Tani Kennosuke
-Kawamura Yosuke as Arashiyama Hajime

Related:
-Nankyoku Monogatari
-Eight Below (US Movie)

I just started watching this yesterday and I'm on episode 8 already. I didn't know until after I started watching it (and googling Sakhalin Huskies) that the real life story behind this drama was what inspired the movie Eight Below. Or more correctly, the 1983 movie that inspired the make of Eight Below. This drama is so much more though, and it's really heartbreaking actually. I wanted to watch it for the dogs though, especially, and this drama has not disappointed me or bored me at all.

Has anyone else watched this??

I couldn't find a trailer for it :(
watched it.... I love the dogs... they are the ancestor of my ahjussi..kekeke!!!!
i wanted to watch it for Kimura Takuya..somehow i couldn't bring myself to add it...let me know if it's worth..i actually wanted to see KT in a pure romantic role after Pride and this didn't seem like it...
KamZ wrote: i wanted to watch it for Kimura Takuya..somehow i couldn't bring myself to add it...let me know if it's worth..i actually wanted to see KT in a pure romantic role after Pride and this didn't seem like it...

It's not a rom-com drama..actually I haven't found any romance from this...
But I think it's worth your time...It's really touching and I know as C4U mentioned it's based from some real-life event...plus Kimmy is in it...And also the cast were good...
ok then...maybe i'll give it a try if i find a good d/l-able link..i do love animals ^_^
Loved this drama so much. Cried every episode... lovely story, and it was true so it was the most powerful to watch. Kimura is my favorite Japanese actor. I gave it a 10. :D
KamZ wrote: ok then...maybe i'll give it a try if i find a good d/l-able link..i do love animals ^_^

oh..if you love animals...hmm...I won't say:-)
darkangel662008 wrote: oh..if you love animals...hmm...I won't say:-)

errr hmmm what??!!!...you are scaring me now lol...they do cruel things to animals in the drama?? i wouldn't be able to watch then...>_<
KamZ wrote: errr hmmm what??!!!...you are scaring me now lol...they do cruel things to animals in the drama?? i wouldn't be able to watch then...>_<

it's not that..but those dogs will really touch your heart:-)
You will love them:-)
darkangel662008 wrote: it's not that..but those dogs will really touch your heart:-)
You will love them:-)

that's cool then...i love them anywhichways :)
I definitely love this drama! I had to stop after episode 7 for a while, but now that I'm on vacation I hope I can finish it. It's awesome and not what I expected when I read the summary. <3
I finished this drama in 3 days and wrote a review on it. I just couldn't stop watching it. The dogs really got to me, I finished it last week and I'm still thinking about it.
And I still want to cry thinking about it. T_T