Its an interesting setting. Anyone watching? Otherwise, I do find that the lead female is too big and has too huge a face, looks old from certain angles too. A little jarring. But entertaining thus far, the storyline.
i do like the character of the female lead and grossly dislike the rest of the inn characters who are very culturally stubborn and also very condescending. its a very good look into possibly the negative aspects of japanese culture, perhaps a more conservative traditional village culture that is. maybe i dont like her anymore, we will see what her reasoning for changing such a huge decision at the end of ep2. was it just based on a pickle or more. if it was just a pickle, i have lost all respect for her.
Hi I am watching this too although I only got as far as the first episode. Personally I don't like the female character at all, but I imagine that she will go through some transformation as the story unfolds. Yes the idea of strictly sticking to traditions may be too exaggerated in this story, however I find that also her ideas of modernizing everything way over the top...this is certainly a drama about conflict between old and new and therefore very interesting...the setting is really awesome and I am curious to watch this drama mostly because it is set in a Ryokan in Kyoto.
I'm watching it too (2 ep). So far it's so-so, but I will continue, hoping it's going to become more interesting. I totally agree with Sunflower63 concerning the possible change in the main character, and about the overexaggerating opposition between ancient and modern style. Nice to watch some old places of Kyoto, that's also the reason why i'm watching it. One sure thing for me : if all ryokan in Kyoto are like that, i'm not sure i will enjoy it next summer... ah, I have to admit that I'm watching it also for Daito Shunsuke...
sunflower63 wrote: Hi I am watching this too although I only got as far as the first episode. Personally I don't like the female character at all, but I imagine that she will go through some transformation as the story unfolds. Yes the idea of strictly sticking to traditions may be too exaggerated in this story, however I find that also her ideas of modernizing everything way over the top...this is certainly a drama about conflict between old and new and therefore very interesting...the setting is really awesome and I am curious to watch this drama mostly because it is set in a Ryokan in Kyoto.

yes that distinction will be very interesting. at the moment i guess it is annoying both ways. two extremists, although i can understand better the point of view from the female lead, she has good ideas but has also made mistakes in her man management.

ie. she acted in a manner to run the inn like a travelers inn (low cost, high volume), but still expected high paying guests. so clearly she shud not be working in the ministry of finance.

but other than her seemingly lack of business apeture, i feel shes at least a little more respectable than the other players at the inn who dont seem to understand the logic of clever modernization

SumiTheCat wrote: I'm watching it too (2 ep). So far it's so-so, but I will continue, hoping it's going to become more interesting.
I totally agree with Sunflower63 concerning the possible change in the main character, and about the overexaggerating opposition between ancient and modern style.
Nice to watch some old places of Kyoto, that's also the reason why i'm watching it. One sure thing for me : if all ryokan in Kyoto are like that, i'm not sure i will enjoy it next summer...
ah, I have to admit that I'm watching it also for Daito Shunsuke...

i am worried about the change in her character tho, i hope she maintains her strong will, but understands how to do better business. in terms of understnading some of the culture, i feel many of it is quite extremist and as the boss, you have the right to determine where to lead the inn. and she shud not be bullied by her employees

i will continue to watch the distincition, it is very interesting

personally, i dont mind an inn being a complete stickler for the olden days, or a somewhat modernized inn
i think it is up to teh leadership to decide, and then the traveller can decide whether he wants one or visit another.

what i just cannot accept is the bullying/condescending nature of the employees.
hopefully there is change from all aspects to find a happy medium for all.

hopefully u will enjoy your ryokan.
i tink there are different types to cater to different needs

and tbh, its japan.
anythign in japan is better than wherever u are living right now ;)
ep3 it continues to be super annoying how these old conservative people ultimateness of passive aggressive and ignornant intensity