I know and have seen various Korean, Chinese, and Taiwanese dramas set in the ancient world. However, I am yet to see one from Japan. Do any exist? If yes, can you give recommendations?

If comedy's also ok, "Neko Zamurai" ^__^;

Japanese historical dramas don't seem to be that popular as korean or chinese dramas are, but they actually have quite a lot of historical dramas as well.

You can try watching any Taiga drama. This type of drama is by definition always a historical one (although covered eras/years can vary from very very ancient to more 'modern' but still historic), and you'll usually find high profile actors/actresses starring on them so these have quite a lot of production behind.

Although they may not be everyone's cup of tea as they usually have complex themes, lots of characters and having a bit general grasp of Japan's history is also recommended.

https://mydramalist.com/search?adv=titles&th=1419&so=popular&or=desc

Yoshitsune, Fuurinzakan, Ryoma Den, Yae no Sakura are some examples that come to my mind because they are based on people who are very popular on  Japan's history/culture, and they    have very popular actors/actresses on them as well.

Aside of Taiga I may also recommend:

Carnation (Drama) It is not that ancient, but the story goes all the way from  before WWII to the modern times.

Chouchou san (SP Drama)

JIN (Drama) and its sequel, JIN 2

Sakuran (Movie)

Tenno no ryoriban (Drama)

Yukinojo Henge (SP Drama)

The Tale of Genji (Movie) This one is based on the novel "Genji Monogatari" which is regarded as the 1st ever novel to have existed. The story has been taken to the screen on more than 1 occassion.

Anmitsu Hime (SP Drama) and its sequel, if you're looking for something lighter, cute and not too realistic.

Hope this helps

Thanks Ara 99!

I didn't realize Taiga was a genre for Japanese historical dramas. I had a read of each of the synopsis' and have added Ryoma Den, Yae no Sakura, and Tenno no Ryoriban on my plan to watch list. I haven't seen a Japanese drama/film in years so I'm excited for these. Thanks!

For a start I recommend https://mydramalist.com/10067-nobunaga-concerto 

Taiga drama is hard if you're not yet familiar with Japan political system and it has longer episodes too...but if you want something that's close to non-fiction (in terms of history records), Taiga Drama is the right choice

VivaceFay:

Thanks Ara 99!

I didn't realize Taiga was a genre for Japanese historical dramas. I had a read of each of the synopsis' and have added Ryoma Den, Yae no Sakura, and Tenno no Ryoriban on my plan to watch list. I haven't seen a Japanese drama/film in years so I'm excited for these. Thanks!

Tenno no ryoriban is definitely good, it is on my top 5. The start may seem slow for some people but it gets better and better. It is based on a real life character so that makes it interesting as well. 

Good luck!

• Kirin ga kuru
  • 47 ronin
  • Rashomon
  • Ninja scroll
  • Afro samurai
  • Shinobi
  • Shogun
  • Katanagatari
  • Kaidan
  • Okami
  • Revenge
  • Yuki
  • Izumo

Ashi girl live action (based on a josei manga) about the sengoku era but it's fantasy too. Rurouni kenshin live action is the best shounen anime live action movie series out there. It's during and after the ''japanese revolution'' in 1868.