http://www.mydramalist.com/front/dramalist-ajax.php?dramaid=3259

Hey has anyone been watching this? I was attracted by the two main actors being Nakama Yukie and Gackt but its really quite interesting. Okinawan history is quite different from Japanese history at the time and its cool to see how its described in this drama. Nakama Yukie is an amazing actress as usual, but I cannot believe her as a boy o_O
Gackt has showed up as some creepy villian. I'm not sure what he does but the role seems good for him. I like it because its a short period piece that I don't have to follow for a year like the tv asahi ones. Although I love those too ;)
i haven't started watching it yet. too many good dramas watching at once during this summer season. i've been meaning to read up on it but since u said it's a history drama i really want to see it. definitely adding it to my plan to watch list.
I'm up to ep 7 now. I did some research online about Okinawa which really helps to understand the story more. Its quite different, but incorporates some more familiar Japanese history such as Satsuma corps and the opening of Japan leading to the meiji era. I wish more people could check it out :)
Just watched this. My 1st J-historical drama ever. I liked this :D
hmmmm i may have to watch it eventually
That awkward moment when you're a girl pretending to be a male eunuch in the Japanese government and you still get hit on by creepy foreign guys. #Tempest

haha funniest cat fight from the 1800's I've ever seen in ep 1

Also, I am shocked and weired out by this 19th century ancient chinese creepy possibly gay Gackt

SayItAintSoJoe wrote: That awkward moment when you're a girl pretending to be a male eunuch in the Japanese government and you still get hit on by creepy foreign guys. #Tempest

haha funniest cat fight from the 1800's I've ever seen in ep 1

Also, I am shocked and weired out by this 19th century ancient chinese creepy possible gay Gackt

Will you believe me when I tell you that even becomes MORE creepy later one?
Because he does! ><
Mirichan wrote: Will you believe me when I tell you that even becomes MORE creepy later one?
Because he does! ><

Oh no!

And, I'm surprised by how good the cgi is in this. Usually it's not soo good in Jdramas for some reason.
I enjoyed this and Gackt plays villainy amazingly. XD Yes his character was beyond creepy but I still thought he kicked ass haha. I heard there is a movie coming out of this, I hope so!
I finished it yesterday. I enjoyed every episode besides ep 5. Overall, it was a really good Japanese historical drama. I'd recommend it.
Oh and I was also going to say that Bettlehiem has to be the best gaijin actor I've ever seen in a Jdrama. He actually spoke fluent Japanese and played his part well.
I'm watching episode 6. I have lots of thoughts and feelings about this drama (love it) but right now, I'm confused. Why does she have a letter from Queen Victoria? (And so conveniantly brought it with her in her exile?) Did I miss something in an earlier episode?! Did I forget something, or am I just stupid? *lol* Also, Japanese history/language question: In my Japanese class, I've learned that China is "Chuugoko". Here, the name for China is "Shin". When and why did the name change from Shin to Chuugoku? (I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway...)
lily_b wrote: I'm watching episode 6. I have lots of thoughts and feelings about this drama (love it) but right now, I'm confused. Why does she have a letter from Queen Victoria? (And so conveniantly brought it with her in her exile?) Did I miss something in an earlier episode?! Did I forget something, or am I just stupid? *lol*

Also, Japanese history/language question: In my Japanese class, I've learned that China is "Chuugoko". Here, the name for China is "Shin". When and why did the name change from Shin to Chuugoku? (I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway...)

If you noticed the drama is actually fantasy. Its not based on true facts. As its not true and the whole country is a fake they just say Sin instead of Chuugoko.

At least thats what I think.

The drama had some creepy feeling to it for me. I mean the later king is the boy from xxxHolic********and he is supposed to have a kid with Nakama Yukie, who looked like his mom.*********
*lol* Yes, I noticed the fantasy! **Like the magic jewel and things like that, it really came in handy! *lol* ** I find those fantasy details quite amusing!

And of course I don't think most of the story is based on true facts (such as the main character herself, magic objects, etc...), although some parts really are (the Ryukyu kingdom was an independant kingdom up until the late 19th century so it's not fake), and only my last question was related to that. The first was just, was it a plot hole or did I miss something? :)

I can see why you felt it was creepy, though. I think Jyo Teigai was very creepy!! As for the **age difference between the young king and his women (not only Mazuru but the other girl as well), my guess is that it wasn't very unusual for that time... the most important thing seems to have been the woman's talents, skills and intelligence, so age shouldn't have mattered that much.**

Another thing I reacted strongly to was that scene in episode 5 where she talked to Asakura. **Because he was the only one who knew her secret, they had this special relationship; she felt she could rely on him. (Well, I also felt that she was scared being reminded that she was, in fact, a woman.) He had known her since she was little, he was impressed by her, and he seems not to be shocked by the fact that a girl wants to study. But this good, intelligent man who just like her always want to do the right thing (while other people in high places might be greedy and corrupt, etc), he can’t take it anymore. He finds it harder and harder not to see her as a woman. I can understand that in a way. But. She has just been promoted; she’s happy about that and wants them to keep working together in the best interest of their respective countries. But he says that he wishes that she could life with him as his wife and stop being a minister.

But… it’s so unfair. She can’t. Because if she becomes somebody’s wife, then it’s impossible for her to do anything, and she has dreamed her whole life of being able to be useful to her country and always study and learn things. (Even the women at the court – the queen, the king’s sister, the concubine, and court ladies – they have to work out schemes behind the scenes and their world is extremely limited, even if they can acquire a certain amount of power.) I hated that this man who has always known this about her and respects and likes her for it, he was actually asking her to give it all up for him.

Later, when he pressures her, she says that she feels like she can be herself with him; that she is neither man nor woman, because he is the only one who sees her as just a human being… That’s what she wants. She wishes that it wouldn’t matter if a person is a man or a woman, but sadly, the world she lives in thinks differently, and he thinks like the world. :( It made me sad when I watched that, and although I sort of understand his feelings (not his fault; just the society they live in), this made me like him less.

Well, that was what I was thinking right after watching the episode. I guess the two of them are the main romantic couple of this drama, although I must admit that at this point I ship Mazuru/Choukun... but since he's already married, I guess that can't happen.

But I shouldn't say too much; I've just watched ep7 so I don't know how it's going to end!
Loved this drama! Gackt's character was so creepy~