I've seen Bridal Mask which was a historical drama but have not seen a drama that takes place in Joseon era
Whatadrama_historical_dramas_dramafever_
scarlet-heart.jpg?fit=1600%2C911
cropped-Banner-3.png

Their's alot of Historical korean drama's out there that I hear are really good, here so some of my plan to watch list of HKD, which one should be a good start? I have seen Splash Splash LOVE and Queen In Hyun's Man But i'm looking for a full Historical drama with no time travel    

- Six Flying Dragons

- Empress Ki

- Jewel in the Palace

- Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo

- Queen Seon Duk

- Dong Yi

- Iljimae

- King's Daughter, Soo Baek Hyang

- Jumong

- Gu Family Book

- Deep Rooted Tree

- Love in the Moonlight 

- Sungkyunkwan Scandal

- Warrior Baek Dong Soo

- Chuno

- Arang and the Magistrate                                                                   

- The Royal Gambler

I love historical drama.  

I really enjoyed The Royal Gambler but the first 4 episodes are hard to get through,
Arang and the magistrate was funny and sweet.
Moon Lovers was stunning.  It looked amazing and the story was really great, everyone acted really well.  I almost gave my first 10 even though it's not in my top 5 dramas (try figuring that out - I can't but it's how it made me feel)
Warrior Baek Dong Soo is hit and miss
Iljimae is great but i'm not sure I'd start with it
Six Flying Dragons is BRILLIANT but it might be too long and too involved for a first - unless you really like lots of political talk.

so in this order i recommend:

Moon Lovers
The Royal Gambler
Arang and the Magistrate.
  1. Since you have Lee Joong Gi as your #10 favorite actor, you could also easily start with his first HKD Iljimae. Iljimae is a Korean folktale that is ingrained in Korean culture, specifically Korean Han. If you want to get a good understanding of Korean culture and folktales, this is a good place to start.  This is a serious drama with a lot of fight scenes and intrigue.
  2. Arang was his second HKD.  If you like some supernatural with your drama viewing, Arang and the Magistrate is the way to go. Plus, Shin Min Ah is absolutely adorable in this HKD.  This drama has a good emotional balance to it.  
  3. I think before you watch Lee Joong Gi in Moon Lovers, you should get to know him in his earlier historical drams like Arang and Iljimae. For me, Moon Lovers is really deep and haunting.  It is a definite must see, but I don't know if it's a great place to start.  Once you watch it, it won't let you go is the only way I can think to explain why I feel that way without spilling spoilers. 
hii i will suggest u watch first light  funny "Sungkyunkwan Scandal"  ur list is full of all top historical drama.
Actually, @Six that's a really good point about Moon Lovers.
@Naksken, I haven't been able to get it out of my head yet.

Since you like The Royal Gambler and I haven't seen it, I need to add it to my PTW list.  You and IzzyDramaLover have awesome recs.
I just tried Moon Lovers as my first historical drama and i must say that i am absolutely hooked on it! i was always afraid that i wont like historical dramas because im not much into history and revenge/plotting stuff in dramas but moon lovers is really great. there is a time travel element but it doesnt matter because i feel like the main character found 'her place' in the era quite fast. 
SO! while i have not seen any other historical drama, i think Moon Lovers is quality drama and it feels to me that it represents many commonly used tropes of historical dramas and it has only 20 episodes :D (also, i havent even finished it yet but im absolutely ready for another historical drama and thats good right? it totally opened doors into new world for me :D)
@Six - Aw Shucks thanks dude!
I've been dodging historical dramas but when started to watch one, you can't stop....You need to watch
1. Queen Seon Duk- It was awesome. Trust me... Don't hesitate to watch this... The story, characters etc was awesome. Especially Bidam... :)
2.Chuno- Don't hesitate because of the rating. THis is one of my favorite.. :) Fighting scene and Jang Hyuk is amazing.
3. Tree With Deep roots- This one is the story after the six flying dragons. This amazing historical dramas has no boring part.

I will add 

4. Ja Myung Go- A burried treasure in many historical fans.. A great great historical dramas...
Oh, historical dramas. So easy to overlook, so hard to look back once you get into them. The Princess' Man captured my heart and I've been stuck on them ever since!
  • If you want a taste of historical dramas without the commitment, go with Iljimae and Scarlet Heart Ryeo.
  • If you want a dramatic, thrilling story with romance, go with Empress Ki. If you want a fantastic story and you aren't deterred by politics, go with Six Flying Dragons. 
Tips: Everything generally begins to take flight after the 10th episode. By then, you'll also begin to understand the relationships and remember who's who and positions. With every historical, I came to appreciate the political aspects more and more. :P
oh my gosh, those are all excellent choices. If I have to pick only one to recommend you watch first though i'd have to go with my all time favorite one that still remains amazing to me and which I have rewatched at least 30 times "EMPRESS KI" This drama has never stopped being my favorite drama. but really, now that i'm done cramming this suggestion down your throat, all of the dramas you listed are great choices. *lowers voice significantly to emphasize the importance of such an utterance* "but Empress Ki is the best."