So it does appear, whether you like the show or not, Squid Game IS having a knock on effect in exposing people to korean (and other Asian) dramas. The Imbd and google trends data seems to be pointing to other Korean/Asian series having a slight uptick in interest. Most korean series are up from 50 to 1000 spots on imbd (remembering alot of them were low to begin with) - whether they are on netflix or not. Google trend data also seems to show a slight uptick for some kdramas (all though the data is not as exact). The Japanese series Alice in Borderland, though, is seeing the biggest increase in interest - which makes sense since both are similar. But other Japanese series are also on the rise (such as Erased).  The question of whether this trend continues or grows remains to be seen, but Squid Game definitely seems to opening people up to watching korean (and Asian) content. 

I have seen this happening before when  season 4 of money heist was released on Netflix but this hype dies down eventually 

Parasite also introduced more people to kdrama.

But in full honesty, I sort of agree with Pratik yadav. While a momentary popularity is good, it won't make korean content an overnight sensation. I will capture a few, but like 99% will not think much of it.

I think it’s good that more people don’t start watching Koramangala because Americans used to make so many good shows but not anymore they make few good tv shows a year and Europeans too did that in last few decades but when more people start watching them they don’t make that good content nowadays Chinese historical dramas and Korean dramas are the best and I hope they stay in their little bubble and keep making good content

Pratik yadav:

I think it’s good that more people don’t start watching Koramangala because Americans used to make so many good shows but not anymore they make few good tv shows a year and Europeans too did that in last few decades but when more people start watching them they don’t make that good content nowadays Chinese historical dramas and Korean dramas are the best and I hope they stay in their little bubble and keep making good content

Ah! I totally agree with you, same opinion.

American content has degraded A LOT in quality really. If it wasn't for kdrama and some historical cdrama... I would have nothing to watch really. I had already given up on western made content before I started watching asian content.

One thing I fear about Netflix and kdramas, is that because Netflix is an American company and with American values, it will force those values upon the korean content, so it might not allow certain stories, or certain scenes, certain speech, certain interaction etc. (it's what is called PC or woke).

If korean content becomes controlled by americans, I fear it will be "bleached" with political correctness and woke-ness.

I don't think political correctness will be forced upon Japan or korea because most of the people there are still quite conservative though it might not be visible that easily and Netflix though it might be American but it is a neutral platform it also doesn't support political correctness at that level . Political correctness cannot ever be forced upon Chinese drama because CCP will never allow it

there are few  American tv shows I watch they also don't support political correctness

It didn't take long for the mass media to turn kdrama into an addiction because of Squid Game getting attention!

Squid Game: The rise of Korean drama addiction

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58896247

I think BBC is feeling bad for losing their clout over people                               

I've been watching Squid Game, and it's a great series.... but my thought is...

This is not a typical kdrama series, it's absolutely not a typical kdrama series. What I am worried about is that people get the idea that this is how kdrama is.

For me kdrama is the opposite of what Squid Game is, kdrama is lovable, caring, fun, lots of hearts, but Squid Game is none of that.

I have not watched squid game I stay away from shows which get overnight popularity 

Finished Squid Game tonight. 

It's an awesome series. It's not the usual kdrama. I highly recommend it.

If you've watched Black Mirror series then Squid Game is a bit in that style I feel like. It really tests your morality tolerance.

will watch it once I am done with my exams 

ArniA:
One thing I fear about Netflix and kdramas, is that because Netflix is an American company and with American values, it will force those values upon the korean content, so it might not allow certain stories, or certain scenes, certain speech, certain interaction etc. (it's what is called PC or woke).

If korean content becomes controlled by americans, I fear it will be "bleached" with political correctness and woke-ness.

I know this is kind of an old comment, but I wanted to respond to this specifically. 

Netflix is known to be more liberal with creators, allowing them to do what they want with their creative visions. From what I've seen Netflix Original kdramas usually have more on screen sex scenes (Example: My Name) or graphic violence (Example: Squid Game) and less censoring or blurring out knives and non-sponsored brands. Netflix will only take what they believe will receive more views from their viewers, clearly from some of the content on their platform, Netflix isn't completely obsessed with PC-ness or woke-ness. 

@Grace

Yes, perhaps I am too pessimistic. 

However, it's a valid concern. Censorship exists in many forms. It's not what has been said, but what was not said. 

Netflix will choose projects based on certain criterias, known only to Netflix, and those people that decide on which projects to fund will have inherit biases based on the culture they are from. Thus, the Netflix corporate employees are americans, with their own values and biases, and decide on projects based on that.

I think of a series called Sweet 18, about a high school girl that has an arranged marriage with a 10 years older man, arranged when she was born. In America this is basically child marriage and isn't kindly looked upon, although this exists in other cultures all over the world. I doubt that Netflix would want to fund these kind of projects. I think that kinda series would never be made by Netflix, and if it was, the actors would all be well into their 30's even the supposedly high school girl, while older kdrama series usually don't lie about age in that manner.

What I like about kdrama are series exactly like Sweet 18, something totally unexpected, showing you something different. 

What I notice about netflix kdrama is that it's a very mature content. Often violent (Vincenzo, Squid Game etc). It's good, but as I said, it's what is not being said that is the censorship.