Hi  all  a friend of mine recommended me this Chinese site that has the novel.

below is the link  to the chapters  index  ( it has 2 pages)

http://m.xsbiquge.la/chapters/36337

I have been reading it using auto translate and google as well. It  is interesting as it has poems in there as well

just wanted to share it with you.

Symbolika1:

SO Happy he could make it! Cause he is flying already back to filming set and starts early :)

Poor him...but he's so happy

peng-peng:

I have been reading it using auto translate and google as well. It  is interesting as it has poems in there as well

Thank you so much for sharing. I will check out.

peng-peng:

I do not as well. Koala  translated 1 word as Soul mate  but the real meaning is true friend. Now everybody thinks that XY called XL her soul mate .

Friend: in chinese version (link bellow), in the drama, in Thai official version.

1/ From : http://m.xsbiquge.la/book/36337/19812269.html// chinese full version. Translation + Auto translation.

2/Drama covering the FRIEND:

- Tong Hua is also scriptwriter for the drama. So I think, as the creator of the story, she knows what she want to mean, and what's her purpose. :)

3/ From Winny's Thai, official version (Publisher and author approuved).

=>  a    confident

4/ Koala is deliberatly picking a word that suit his imagination. See the 3 counter exemples above.

She sure had the choice, as the first related words are pal, best friend, buddy mate etc...this is her choice, and doesnt align neither with the chinese version, neither the drama version, neither the official thaï version.

Winny Aye:
Thank you so much for sharing. I will check out.

just posted few (out of many) exemples, feel free to add...

peng-peng:

Markbooked Thanx Peng

Romans_Revenge:

Definitely right! He was too late from ep 1/chapter 1-2 lol. The fact that, you agree to have a lovers bug transferred to you doesn’t mean the woman will love you ??‍♀️. He was brutal to her from day 1,which woman will fall for a man like that? Unless you’re an airhead. Plus kissing an unconscious woman,laying on top of her to give her “warmth”,who does that?

She is very aware. 

And yes:

it is possible....For further reading:

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/122337-tong-hua-s-xiaojing-drama-novel-exploration-x1f49c?page=6

Romans_Revenge:
Oh lemme add, xl asking XY where’s YSQ whom you’re always hiding from me whenever I come by or when XY told xl he shouldn’t even think of harming Jing. As a man,if a woman tells me these things about another man,I’ll definitely know something’s going on between those two. 

it's a "WE" language. 

• Symbol: Ownership and Attachment.
  • Meaning: The  assertion of "he's mine" by Xiao Liu signifies her growing attachment and ownership of Shi Qi. It can be seen as a defense mechanism against potential threats and  emphasizes the depth of her emotions for ShiQi.

Quote: "Xiang Liu kept staring at Shi Qi, and Xiao Liu got nervous and actually grabbed Shi Qi’s face like a child would and yelled, 'Don’t you get any ideas about him. He’s mine.'"

Further reading:https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/122337-tong-hua-s-xiaojing-drama-novel-exploration-x1f49c?page=2

Winny Aye:

Yes her confession..one of the very important scene...

One step after another, we are on our ch 10  and drama covering for now <3 !

Director Li Shao Hong Weibo Update 140124 This year she recommended the 4 awardees for Rising Actor Award, including #DengWei She also wishes they can all explode in popularity and shine on the big and small screens

Mr Gentleman Indeed!

Symbolika1:
4 hours ago
 peng-peng:
I do not as well. Koala  translated 1 word as Soul mate  but the real meaning is true friend. Now everybody thinks that XY called XL her soul mate .

Friend: in chinese version (link bellow), in the drama, in Thai official version.

1/ From : http://m.xsbiquge.la/book/36337/19812269.html// chinese full version. Translation + Auto translation.

2/Drama covering the FRIEND:

- Tong Hua is also scriptwriter for the drama. So I think, as the creator of the story, she knows what she want to mean, and what's her purpose. :)

3/ From Winny's Thai, official version (Publisher and author approuved).

=>  a    confident

4/ Koala is deliberatly picking a word that suit his imagination. See the 3 counter exemples above.

She sure had the choice, as the first related words are pal, best friend, buddy mate etc...this is her choice, and doesnt align neither with the chinese version, neither the drama version, neither the official thaï version.

The term 知己 (zhiji) has created difficulties for translating and fully understanding a number of historical C Dramas, and some really insightful posts have been made on the topic.

In the posts I've read (this is one example: 愚妹無憂 : on translation (again), 知己, "soulmates", danmei,... (tumblr.com) and this is another example: 魂兮歸來 不下幽都 - all right guys, let’s have a conversation about soulmates (tumblr.com) ) on this topic (i.e., the difficulty of translating this word in a way that properly conveys its original meaning and connotations in Mandarin), the gist seems to be that "soulmates" is often a misleading translation, but any variation on "friend" also doesn't really capture the meaning  and connotations of the term either. The key seems to be that this term is about one person "understanding" or "knowing" another person. 

It can be used to describe a strictly platonic relationship, and it can be used to describe a romantic relationship. It is a flexible term and its meaning will vary significantly depending on the context.

In the first post above, Cyan notes:

it’s not the use of 知己 itself that makes an onscreen relationship more or less explicitly romantic but the context of the rest of their interactions. 知己 has multiple valences, and to pretend or assume that the romantic one is the only relevant reading of it is an oversimplification that I feel devalues both the depth of the term itself and, more broadly, love that does not take a romantic form. at its core, 知己 is about intimacy–in many shapes and at many levels.

before i continue, please read @hunxi-guilai’s post about 知己 and how it can vary in meaning and gravity depending on context.

and makes the following suggestions:

after thinking about it for a really long time, i think my preferred solution is actually fairly simple–instead of trying to translate 知己 as a rigid, one-word noun, just… translate what it means.

if you don’t already know, the two characters that make up 知己 are 知 “to know” and 己 “self”. so someone who is 知己 can literally be described as “one who knows me”. i think that to know and to understand are both english verbs that have the same natural weight variance as 知己. you can, completely sincerely, say both “oh yeah, I know her,” and “but i know her” for very different effect. i think that with some work and thought, you could come up with subtitles that not only circumvent the problem of reinforcing one-to-one translation tendencies and the misconceptions that those tend to breed, but also preserve the intended thematic throughline and are an acceptable length for actual subtitle timing and encoding.

for CQL specifically, I’ve gone back and forth between whether I would prefer using “to know” or “to understand” as the fulcrum of the 知己 translation, and I… think….. I would go with “to know”. at least right now. there are a few reasons for that tentative choice, one of which is simply that “know” is only four characters while “understand” is ten. the other is that, after messing around with both in each scenario, I think “know” ultimately flows better sonically. 

if I were translating only for myself, I would probably still try to somehow work with “someone who understands me” because I think that just hits harder than “kindred spirit”. so like, “I think of you as someone who understands me” and “This lonely prince had always thought that you were someone who understood me”, that kind of thing. i think it gets more precisely at the core of what makes 知己 such an important concept in SHL.

@Ah 

Indeed it has many meaning based on the circumstances  The fact that the drama does not use soul mate mean that in this context,  "soul mate" it is not the right word to use.   Different sources agree that it is not soul mate, then it is not in  in this case.  

"Someone who understand me" is  better than "soul mate" in this case as well . It  is the same as " true friend" since  after all  "true friend" is "someone who understand  you" truly.  It fit  also the definition of Friendship. 

I rather belove official thai version than  the blog .   goolge translate helps as well 

peng-peng:
@Ah

Indeed it has many meaning based on the circumstances

Yep.

peng-peng:
The fact that the drama does not use soul mate mean that in this context,  "soul mate" it is not the right word to use.

Some drama subtitle translators are better than others, and even the best ones don't always get it right. So I wouldn't always assume that if a drama subtitle uses a particular translation it must be correct, but in this instance I agree that "soulmate" doesn't feel like the right translation for that exchange.

peng-peng:
Different sources agree that it is not soul mate, then it is not in  in this case.

I agree that if multiple sources translate the same scene the same way, that's a good indication that the consistent translation is accurate. 

peng-peng:
"Someone who understand me" is  better than "soul mate" in this case as well .

Agreed.

peng-peng:
It  is the same as " true friend" since  after all  "true friend" is "someone who understand  you" truly.

One would typically expect both soulmates and true friends to understand one another, but both words have additional meanings beyond understanding. Just as "soulmate" carries romantic connotations that 知己 doesn't necessarily carry, "true friend" carries platonic connotations that 知己  doesn't necessarily carry. So I find that both options feel off for similar reasons.

peng-peng:
I rather belove official thai version than  the blog .

For me it really depends. Some subtitles are really good (I find volunteer teams tend to produce better quality subs on average, perhaps because they are more personally invested in their work). Some are terrible. And some are just so-so. I've seen a few Mandarin speakers comment on how the English subs for LYF oversimplify things and miss a lot of nuance, which makes me hesitant to view the English subs as a good point of reference to better understand the details of the story. I haven't seen any comments about the quality of the Thai subs, so I don't know how those are viewed.

Cyan's post seemed thorough and well thought out to me, and matched up with similar explanations that I've seen posted by other Mandarin speaking fans on the topic. So I personally consider her post to be pretty credible.

peng-peng:
 goolge translate helps as well

Definitely a good tool to have as a point of reference, but I prefer to get a native speaker to validate google translations whenever possible. Sometimes google translations can be really off, which makes me wary about relying on them without double-checking. 

AH

By Thai version I meant  the official thai  novel of  lyf. 

True friend ship is not always platonic though .    Unfortunately  the Chinese speaker who did translate lyf is koala  lol. 

Any way we agree that soul mate is not the right translation in this case.