Janex:

https://youtu.be/d85EQqvJhng?si=WbA3NEXCTdnI47bW

Wow, new trailer-under the skin!

It looks so good!  Though more ... dark than the first one.

Kokuto:

I have started A Lifetime of Love.

Five episodes in, and dare I say it?  I'm having fun.  lol  Not as a great show, but at the production and how outrageous Chi Chen / Huang XiaoMing is.  The CGI budget on this show must have been HUGE... and so very wasteful.

It's also fun trying seeing the pre-history of the LYF characters and some of the actors.

Yay! 5 episodes! How long did it take you to cover that much? 

How do you find the acting and characterisations thus far? Do share as you continue your journey! Have you met the Flame Emperor, who would become the Yellow Emperor in LYF? It's surreal to think that Hou Changrong played the two wiliest foxes who continued to played chess against each other against the backdrop of the Great Wilderness long after the Flame Emperor had passed away.

Meanwhile on a more exciting note, am thrilled to see the latest trailer for Under the Skin 2. Looks like Shen Yi is losing himself in the cases they are faced with, and we might meet dark Shen Yi after all. Wish it would air this year, or at least early next year. Can't wait!

Janex:

https://youtu.be/d85EQqvJhng?si=WbA3NEXCTdnI47bW

Wow, new trailer-under the skin!

Is that potential a darker Shen Yi that I'm seeing? I'm hoping they'll explore some of his sharper edges in the second season.

Kokuto:

Five episodes in, and dare I say it?  I'm having fun.  lol  Not as a great show, but at the production and how outrageous Chi Chen / Huang XiaoMing is.  The CGI budget on this show must have been HUGE... and so very wasteful.

It's also fun trying seeing the pre-history of the LYF characters and some of the actors.

I read 'outrageous' as. 'gorgeous' and was seriously wondering if you didn't see the oil dripping off him . Lol. hXM is a good looking man, but he was at his peak oily era here. Although, liddi mentioned that it improves later. 

Kokuto:

One of these days I will try attempt this. (≧▽≦) I'm trying very hard to be creative. 

Kokuto:

Wow! I watched this few years back and must have fast forwarded 80% or more because i couldnt stand ChiChen. Hahaha i did make it to the end though!

liddi:
Yay! 5 episodes! How long did it take you to cover that much?

How do you find the acting and characterisations thus far? Do share as you continue your journey! Have you met the Flame Emperor, who would become the Yellow Emperor in LYF? It's surreal to think that Hou Changrong played the two wiliest foxes who continued to played chess against each other against the backdrop of the Great Wilderness long after the Flame Emperor had passed away.

Hmmm.  Maybe about 3 or 4  hours?  I just watched binged all five episodes on one night.

The acting is ok, but they have a lot to overcome, with the CGI and the costuming and sets, not to mention the script and story.  Characterization ... I'm not sure because I haven't read the book, but it seems to be a bit thin.  Like I'm not sure why people like or hate others.  And no one has really grabbed me yet.

That's part of what I'm having fun with -- realizing who these characters are and where I've seen these actors before.  Like Jing Shi (Nuo Nai / Yu Shi), who wasn't in the drama, I think, who appears to be the love interest for Yusang, is played by the actor who assassinated XY in episode 30!  I haven't seen much of Granddaddy Emperor in this, but I just watched that actor in Are You the One?  playing ZWY's grandfather in law.  And the Xiyan prince, Yu Chen, I didn't recognize, as I think he gained some weight, but he was Yang Xiu, the scholar enemy of Sima Yi from Advisor Alliance.

Just starting, but I will say I haven't gotten the impression that Grandaddy Emperor is all that crafty and strategic, YET.  They are also pushing that Royal Mother of Jade Mountain is in love with the Flame Emperor... who is dodging her. lol!

Also, Zhu Rhong!  Well, I won't go with him being a total a'hole, yet, but he is an aggressive, kill happy,  unlikable insubordinate.  He's already stirring sh8t and is trouble.  I can't believe he's Feng Long's grandfather, or Little Zhu Rong turned out to be such a compromiser.  How did he survive his dad?

HeadInTheClouds:
I read 'outrageous' as. 'gorgeous' and was seriously wondering if you didn't see the oil dripping off him . Lol. hXM is a good looking man, but he was at his peak oily era here. Although, liddi mentioned that it improves later.

LOL!  No, not gorgeous.  Outrageous, cause his Chi Chen has no filter and just says and does whatever strikes him -- which of course gets him in trouble with any number of people, even Ah Heng, who he wants to impress.

Also, he first appears as Tarzan, swinging thru the trees with a herd of every jungle animal you can think of that totally does not belong in the forest or even with each other.  Plus he has an Aquaman like effect to control or deal with the animals (as well as a weapon), where he yells and concentric circles ripples out of his mouth to strike things!  ahahahahah.  It is so over the top.

Oh, and he basically tells Royal Mother he's there to steal the Pangu Bow, then he ties a black cloth around his lower face, and dons a BRIGHT RED and black cloak, to 'sneak' into the treasury.  Of course, he eyeballs the bow when finds it, like he knows it is probably trapped, but then he just shrugs, like he doesn't need to worry about traps, and grabs it.   Such a goober.  hahahaha

plor20:

One of these days I will try attempt this. (≧▽≦) I'm trying very hard to be creative. 

Your time is better spent on that.  This is cheesy fun, if you like laughing at ... questionable choices, like Mystery Theater 3000.  It's like EVERYTHING is over done.  These costumes and sets look like they were designed by Liberace -- when in doubt, add more ... and paint it gold!  And why bother using any real effect, when they can CGI the heck out of it.

I'm telling you, despite all the complaints from some folks, we should be counting our blessings that LYF went with as little CGI as possible.

Kokuto:
Hmmm.  Maybe about 3 or 4  hours?  I just watched binged all five episodes on one night.

Congratulations! I could not get past Ep1 for the longest time thanks to Tarzan, and only continued when I finally read the book.

Kokuto:
The acting is ok, but they have a lot to overcome, with the CGI and the costuming and sets, not to mention the script and story.  Characterization ... I'm not sure because I haven't read the book, but it seems to be a bit thin.  Like I'm not sure why people like or hate others.  And no one has really grabbed me yet.

True. The intricate relationships between the different kingdoms, characters and even locations are not readily understandable. To be honest, I often wonder whether politics and ties in the Great Wilderness (be it in Lost You Forever or A Lifetime Love) are more comprehensible for me only because I read the novels first. Would it be as evident if I had gone in blind? I can't really tell. 

Kokuto:
That's part of what I'm having fun with -- realizing who these characters are and where I've seen these actors before.  Like Jing Shi (Nuo Nai / Yu Shi), who wasn't in the drama, I think, who appears to be the love interest for Yusang, is played by the actor who assassinated XY in episode 30!  I haven't seen much of Granddaddy Emperor in this, but I just watched that actor in Are You the One?  playing ZWY's grandfather in law.  And the Xiyan prince, Yu Chen, I didn't recognize, as I think he gained some weight, but he was Yang Xiu, the scholar enemy of Sima Yi from Advisor Alliance.

Yup. Jing Shi is Mu Fei who assassinated Xiao Yao in the Peach Blossom Forest. And Yu Chen (Qing Yang in the novel) is Yang Xiu from Advisors' Alliance. Do you recognise Zhi Ruo (Zhong Yi - Cang Xuan's father)?

Kokuto:
Just starting, but I will say I haven't gotten the impression that Grandaddy Emperor is all that crafty and strategic, YET.  They are also pushing that Royal Mother of Jade Mountain is in love with the Flame Emperor... who is dodging her. lol!

Madam Jade (Royal Mother) was definitely in love with the Xuan Mu king (Flame Emperor), which he never reciprocated and never showed up on Jade Mountain for the regular Peach Banquet. In the novel, the Flame Emperor, the Royal Mother and Xie Zu were bosom friends who travelled and played together  when they were young, until the Royal Mother was abandoned when Xie Zu suddenly left to join the young man she was in love with; while the Flame Emperor departed to look for the girl he fell in love with by the stream years ago. 

As for the Xuan Yang king (Yellow Emperor), I feel that the drama whitewashed him a lot and made him far more fatherly than he was in the novel. To be honest, I didn't find him particularly threatening here, unlike the novel. Likewise, the drama made it such that A Mo (A Heng)'s engagement to Sheng Lun (Shao Hao) was without her knowledge, unlike the novel where when she fell in love with Chi Chen, she was well aware that she was betrothed.

Kokuto:
Also, Zhu Rhong!  Well, I won't go with him being a total a'hole, yet, but he is an aggressive, kill happy,  unlikable insubordinate.  He's already stirring sh8t and is trouble.  I can't believe he's Feng Long's grandfather, or Little Zhu Rong turned out to be such a compromiser.  How did he survive his dad?

I know right? Zhu Rong (Yan Zhuan) was already an unlikeable character in the novel, but in the drama, Tong Zheng was even worse. And yet in Lost You Forever and the extra side story of Once Promised, little Yan Zhuan and Feng Long turned out to be nothing like him. Perhaps in some ways, Xin Yue takes after him, but in that respect, I feel that hers is one that was partially attributed to the circumstances in which she grew up in. As for little Yan Zhuan, the extra side story revealed that he used to bully Hou Tu (Luo Jia) as a child, so little Yan Zhuan was not such a meek boy either. My guess is that he learnt to adapt and compromise when Shen Nong fell, and protected his fellow countrymen in a different way.

Kokuto:
Also, he first appears as Tarzan, swinging thru the trees with a herd of every jungle animal you can think of that totally does not belong in the forest or even with each other.  Plus he has an Aquaman like effect to control or deal with the animals (as well as a weapon), where he yells and concentric circles ripples out of his mouth to strike things!  ahahahahah.  It is so over the top.

To be fair, in the novel, Chi Chen's powers encompassed all five elements, and he had the power to control the beasts and plants, hence he was called the Beast King. But swinging around like Tarzan, despite him being described to be wild and animalistic in the Ch1, was mind-boggling. I don't know how Huang Xiaoming kept a straight face in those scenes. 

Kokuto:
This is cheesy fun, if you like laughing at ... questionable choices, like Mystery Theater 3000.  It's like EVERYTHING is over done.  These costumes and sets look like they were designed by Liberace -- when in doubt, add more ... and paint it gold!  And why bother using any real effect, when they can CGI the heck out of it.

I'm telling you, despite all the complaints from some folks, we should be counting our blessings that LYF went with as little CGI as possible.

The premise of Once Promised is such that it does require far more CGI compared to LYF because the narrative is very much mired in the fantasy aspect - from various winged mounts including the roc Xiao Yao, the aerial fights, battles, to Yu Abyss, even the Northern Depths where Chi Chen was sent to heal. We also have A Bi and Lie Yang. It is just unfortunate that the CGI results were not convincing, especially when the drama is supposed to be the first one in China to use the Emmy Award winning Super IP's Previzion Super Technology  to achieve real-time imaging, and constructed the fantastical creatures using Bionic mechanical models and MSC digital special effects. And let's not get me started on the costumes, which took me out of the story straight away. In comparison, LYF is a gorgeous production despite the occasional hit and misses in CGI.

Now that you are watching, it reminds me that I should go back and finish the entire drama some time - I ended up skipping to certain scenes in the drama due to lack of time. Who knows, at this rate, you might actually finish the drama way before me!

liddi:
True. The intricate relationships between the different kingdoms, characters and even locations are not readily understandable. To be honest, I often wonder whether politics and ties in the Great Wilderness (be it in Lost You Forever or A Lifetime Love) are more comprehensible for me only because I read the novels first. Would it be as evident if I had gone in blind? I can't really tell.

Well ... I figured it out fairly quickly in LYF, but the cast wasn't as large as ALTL / Once Promised.  But if I hadn't watched LYF first and discussed it so much, I think it would have taken me a while for ALTL, especially since they don't write the characters names on the screen when they first appear, and sometimes they don't even say them.  For example, Hong Jiang's first appearance, Zhu Rong doesn't even say his name!  And later he only says Xing, so if I didn't have your list, I'd have been lost.  Though ... even in his first scene, there was something rigid about the character, that made me wonder if it was him.  lol   But, as it was, I pretty much knew who the characters were and the places and the situation from the first episode.

liddi:
Yup. Jing Shi is Mu Fei who assassinated Xiao Yao in the Peach Blossom Forest. And Yu Chen (Qing Yang in the novel) is Yang Xiu from Advisors' Alliance. Do you recognise Zhi Ruo (Zhong Yi - Cang Xuan's father)?

Yes!  I actually think Luo Yun Xi look so much better in this older show, with a little weight.  And Yuan Mo's father (Li Xin Ze) showed up in the episodes I watched tonight!  He's playing a Chenrong general named Ju Ze.  I don't recognize that character, though.

liddi:
Madam Jade (Royal Mother) was definitely in love with the Xuan Mu king (Flame Emperor), which he never reciprocated and never showed up on Jade Mountain for the regular Peach Banquet. In the novel, the Flame Emperor, the Royal Mother and Xie Zu were bosom friends who travelled and played together when they were young, until the Royal Mother was abandoned when Xie Zu suddenly left to join the young man she was in love with; while the Flame Emperor departed to look for the girl he fell in love with by the stream years ago.

I remembered that the three of them were friends, but I didn't realize Royal Mother actually was in love with the Flame Emperor, whose story we haven't really gotten in ALTL yet.  But we haven't gotten Xie Zu or Grandfather Emperor's story yet, either.

liddi:
As for the Xuan Yang king (Yellow Emperor), I feel that the drama whitewashed him a lot and made him far more fatherly than he was in the novel. To be honest, I didn't find him particularly threatening here, unlike the novel. Likewise, the drama made it such that A Mo (A Heng)'s engagement to Sheng Lun (Shao Hao) was without her knowledge, unlike the novel where when she fell in love with Chi Chen, she was well aware that she was betrothed.

I think LYF drama definitely whitewashed him, or glossed over his past, and I'm wondering if this is going to do the same?  Cause he actually said it was the Flame Emperor who was the invader of  Xiyan!  And it his son, Yu Chen, who seems to be making / pushing for decisions, as opposed to him.  But it is early yet, so we'll see if they portray him more accurately.

Hmmm.  That's a change with A Mo .... but probably because of the censors.

liddi:
I know right? Zhu Rong (Yan Zhuan) was already an unlikeable character in the novel, but in the drama, Tong Zheng was even worse. And yet in Lost You Forever and the extra side story of Once Promised, little Yan Zhuan and Feng Long turned out to be nothing like him. Perhaps in some ways, Xin Yue takes after him, but in that respect, I feel that hers is one that was partially attributed to the circumstances in which she grew up in. As for little Yan Zhuan, the extra side story revealed that he used to bully Hou Tu (Luo Jia) as a child, so little Yan Zhuan was not such a meek boy either. My guess is that he learnt to adapt and compromise when Shen Nong fell, and protected his fellow countrymen in a different way.

That actually makes sense for Little Zhu Rong, with his dad being such a ... harsh character.  But clearly the events of the war and maybe other things allowed him to show his more patient and kinder side.  I get the feeling that he is smarter than his dad though, who seems to rely on being strong.  At least Zhu Rong is consistent, then.  lol

liddi:
To be fair, in the novel, Chi Chen's powers encompassed all five elements, and he had the power to control the beasts and plants, hence he was called the Beast King. But swinging around like Tarzan, despite him being described to be wild and animalistic in the Ch1, was mind-boggling. I don't know how Huang Xiaoming kept a straight face in those scenes.

Chi Chen as Tarzan was just so cheesy.  I wish they didn't start the drama like that, cause it definitely made me reconsider watching the drama the first time.  There's lots of time I wondered how Huang Xio Ming kept a straight face in this drama.  Especially when he saw that wig on his head.  It so bad.

Regardless, for me, using the Aquaman talks to fish effect for Chi Chen controlling animals was not a good look either, but that may be personal bias.

liddi:
The premise of Once Promised is such that it does require far more CGI compared to LYF because the narrative is very much mired in the fantasy aspect - from various winged mounts including the roc Xiao Yao, the aerial fights, battles, to Yu Abyss, even the Northern Depths where Chi Chen was sent to heal. We also have A Bi and Lie Yang. It is just unfortunate that the CGI results were not convincing, especially when the drama is supposed to be the first one in China to use the Emmy Award winning Super IP's Previzion Super Technology to achieve real-time imaging, and constructed the fantastical creatures using Bionic mechanical models and MSC digital special effects.

For sure!  This was definitely a grand fantasy epic, whereas LYF was more of a personal, character driven tale that had some magic in it.  Though the novel had more magic and fantasy in it, but I'm fine with it not all being included -- like the big aerial battles with flying mounts.

Maybe when it came out the CGI was ok for ALTL, but it did NOT age well.  And it was overused.  It must have cost a small fortune to do all the CGI.  A Bi isn't bad, though he looks more like an fairly good animated character that wandered into the show.

liddi:
And let's not get me started on the costumes, which took me out of the story straight away. In comparison, LYF is a gorgeous production despite the occasional hit and misses in CGI.

The costumes ... how / why did they look so cheap?  And WHY did some of them look more like western fantasy costumes than Chinese costumes?  A Mo is literally running around in a faux European medieval gown.  Zhu Rong is in gold gauze and gold lame.  Why do they have leather straps and buckles instead of buttons, and worse, on polyster?  Why is Jing Shi wearing a faux Roman metal cuirass, complete with dished out fake abs?  It is all just awful.  Daddy Emperor and Jing Shi are wearing passable Chinese fantasy outfits, but they still look kind of cheap.

And sets are just overdone both in decoration and color.  And neither the sets or the costumes have anything specific to their countries, like they do in LYF, where the designer obviously wanted to give each place an unique visual cultural style and motifs.

liddi:
Now that you are watching, it reminds me that I should go back and finish the entire drama some time - I ended up skipping to certain scenes in the drama due to lack of time. Who knows, at this rate, you might actually finish the drama way before me!

I did another 5 episodes last night.  It is still full of LOL moments, but the story is starting to pull me in.  Or maybe, more precisely, the connections and comparisons to LYF are holding my interest.  I still can't let go of LYF, and this, however badly done, allows me stay a little longer in the world. ;p

liddi:
Meanwhile on a more exciting note, am thrilled to see the latest trailer for Under the Skin 2. Looks like Shen Yi is losing himself in the cases they are faced with, and we might meet dark Shen Yi after all. Wish it would air this year, or at least early next year. Can't wait!

I know people keep saying this year, but I suspect Under the Skin 2 will be the beginning of next year.  But yes!  That trailer was very exciting, especially with the hints of a darker Shen Yi ... or more trauma for our poor boy.  lol

HeadInTheClouds:

Is that potential a darker Shen Yi that I'm seeing? I'm hoping they'll explore some of his sharper edges in the second season.

It is kind of hard to tell.  Is Shen Yi turning dark?  Or is the darkness getting to him?  Is that him?  Or is that him getting into profiler mode?  It definitely looks interesting, though.

From twitter.  Obviously, the bear biscuits is a meme I'm not familiar with ... but I still found this funny.

https://x.com/tlmssusu/status/1838973747078025452

Joa:

Wow! I watched this few years back and must have fast forwarded 80% or more because i couldnt stand ChiChen. Hahaha i did make it to the end though!

Congrats!  Everyone should get a gold star for finishing A Life Time Love.  Especially if you didn't like the ML!  LOL!

I'm still waiting for a character to really hook me, but it hasn't happened yet.  Not going to lie, alot of my interest is probably comparing the characters to LYF characters.  Though he didn't do much, the LYF Chi Chen certainly was more eye catching in LYF.