windiaaa041293:
I want to reread scene 4 of the question, can anyone help? Thanks..
it seems the description of the glowing bug is different.

Are you referring to the leaked script or the novel? My translation of the 4 questions in the leaked script is here:

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/110123-xl-and-xy-story-and-romance-warning-spoilers?pid=2780847&page=160#p2780847 

XL: Are you willing to marry Tushan Jing?

Xiao Yao's dull expression suddenly had a moment of clarity and she struggled to wake up. The red glow in Xiang Liu's eyes intensified, his voice even gentler.

XL: Are you willing to marry Ye Shiqi?
XY: I am willing.
XL (momentarily hesitant): With whom do you most wish to spend your life with?

Xiao Yao opened her mouth as if to answer, but her expression showed extreme resistance, and she struggled to snap out of the trance. Xiang Liu firmly focused his eyes on her and intensified the spell.

XL (tense): Tell me, with whom do you most wish to spend your life with?

Xiao Yao gripped her head violently, in such pain that her body was shaking.

XY: Ah! It hurts, hurts...

Xiang Liu quickly dispersed the spell, and Xiao Yao collapsed into his arms in pain.

XL: I won't ask anymore, won't ask anymore...

Xiao Yao closed her eyes wearily, her tightly knit brows slowly relaxing.

XY (murmuring): Why...
XL: Because...

Xiang Liu did not continue. His eyes were tender, as if everything he had kept deeply buried inside would finally overflow.
The poisonous bugs in both their hearts emitted a glow in unison with their heartbeats.
Xiang Liu stared at the unconscious Xiao Yao, his voice uncharacteristically gentle.

XL: Have a good sleep. You will forget everything after you wake.

H19279:
In general XY or WXL in the past tried to have equal with XL, always try to "revenge" in consersation with him. Both of them didn't want to be loser in "their battle". So knowing XL having the same pain intensity in the heart made she feel less underdog.

That could be it as well. I find it interesting that Xiao Yao is competitive and stubborn since childhood and she enjoys the tug-of-war between her and Xiang Liu, and yet Jing is the opposite. While he's not exactly obedience, he's far more biddable. I can just imagine Xiao Yao becoming bored out of her skull after a few decades.

H19279:
Besides, no-one could give her solution to remove the bug in her body (Witch king, XY were the expert in poison bugs and both had no solution, XL said he could not). So, it could be regarded as selfish, pocessive but maybe it was just out of ability.

Even before the visit to the Voodoo King she wasn't at all concerned or in a hurry to have those Bugs removed despite knowing about the shared emotional and physical pain connection. If she'd cared about those things at all, I would have expected her to make more of an effort.

H19279:
She was willing to die with him.

This might be the case. She never told Cang Xuan about it when it would have made sense to use all the power and resources that he had at his disposal to find a way to break the bugs. We know that there was probably no other method besides the one Xiang Liu used, but the lack of effort was interesting. 

Jing was more concerned about her life than she was. I think she was more concerned about downplaying the emotional connection of the Bugs to make Jing feel better, but she herself doesn't seem to care about this continued emotional and physical connection with Xiang Liu. I think we agree that she wants to maintain this connection. 

H19279:
it is worth to address that the emotion between 1st and 2nd suicide were very different.

I don't think the first was a suicide attempt. It was a passive, fleeting thought that passed quickly. The second one was deliberate. Some people pointed to her attempted suicide here as prove that she loves Jing so much and couldn't live without him. She was living fine without him until receiving all these blows one after another - severing ties with Xiang Liu, betrayal by Cang Xuan and her grandfather, guilt etc. In my comment to MayaDavid, I did wonder if she was hoping that Xiang Liu would come to save her again, but it's more likely that she just didn't care by this point and combined that with Xiang Liu having nine lives (like you said in your post on this subject) so she just went "f it". Or Maybe she also wants to punish XL for what happened between them - another way of getting one over him? Xiao Yao's feelings for Xiang Liu can be so opaque that it's anybody's guess.

And technically, she did keep her word to Xiang Liu. She lives even though she thought Jing had died. She killed herself not because of Jing, but because of Cang Xuan's betrayal.

MayaDavid:
Thanks Kokuto and HeadInTheClouds for the response. I think I didn’t write the question well. I wanted to know what is supposed to happen to the novel character XL based on what happened in the novel and how he ended up. I wanted to know if novel XL could reincarnate based on the world building in the novel. If reincarnation happens will he be a demon again?

H19279 also answered. As it currently stands, there really isn't re-incarnation or resurrection in the world of Once Promised and Lost You Forever. However, as I mentioned in my reply, the rumour was that Tong Hua originally planned to incorporate the Underworld as part of this world. And if you recall, one of the 4 most powerful clans, Gui Fang possessed something known as "Soul Restoring Grass". This clan was supposed to feature in the same book as the Underworld. In Lost You Forever, there were hints that Xiang Liu has some kind of relationship with the Gui Fang clan. If there's an Underworld, then chances are there is resurrection or reincarnation. With Soul Restoring Grass, the likelihood is that he could/would be brought back as Xiang Liu. Jing and Xiao Yao didn't consummate their marriage, so maybe TH planned to bring Xiang Liu back and have him and Xiao Yao reunited. Unfortunately, I don't think Tong Hua is likely to revisit this world, she may not want to given the enduring appeal of Lost You Forever came pretty much due to Xiang Liu's ending. Fans will just have to rely on fan fiction to manage their feelings of regret and wistfulness.

liddi:
@H19279 @AH

This is the corresponding script for Ep32 when Xiao Yao's consciousness was pulled back into her body, which specifically mentions that both their hearts glowed at that time.

Thanks for the translation liddi! 

liddi:
XL: Ever since you were in a coma, Tushan Jing has also been unconscious, solely dependent on elixirs to sustain his life until now. Now, it is no longer possible to continue sustaining his life, he is dying.
XYC (shocked, grieved): Jing, unconscious... I had thought he... (anxiously) Xiang Liu, what is going on? What happened?

As Xiang Liu held Xiao Yao's hand in his, his heart and that of Xiao Yao's body once again started to glow.

XL (gaze fixed on Xiao Yao's body): If Tushan Jing died, would you be very sad, and hate me to the core of your being?
XYC (gazing at Xiang Liu): I don't want Jing to die, but why should I hate you? You saved me.

Xiao Yao's consciousness pulled Xiang Liu's hand urgently (the hand which was not holding Xiao Yao's hand). Xiang Liu seemed to have felt it, and looked down at his other hand.

XYC (expectantly): You can feel me, can you?

Following the hand that Xiao Yao's consciousness held, Xiang Liu looked up right at her face, their eyes meeting. However, just at that moment, Xiao Yao's consciousness feel a sudden pull, and merged back into her body.
Xiang Liu did not see anything at all. He glanced at the hand that had just been held by Xiao Yao's consciousness, then shifted his gaze back to the Xiao Yao lying on the white jade pallet. His soul was bared as he gazed at Xiao Yao, his eyes filled with such longing and reluctance, but unfortunately, Xiao Yao's consciousness had already returned to where she belonged, and just missed seeing it.

liddi:
Could it be that the glowing of their hearts in unison signifies Xiang Liu initiating the process to wake her up using the lovers bug connection, which was why her consciousness was finally pulled back and merged into her body?

The script says that both XL and XY's heart glowed "once again" in this scene. This mutual glowing seems to be different from the one-sided glowing that happened with XL's bug in episode 19. I can't recall any instance prior to this scene where XL and XY's hearts glowed in unison. Do you know if the scripts for season one included any other scenes where XL and XY's hearts were supposed to glow in unison that didn't end up getting shown that way in the drama?

In terms of XY's consciousness returning to her body... XY's consciousness suddenly developed the ability to touch solid objects (which signified that she had gotten much stronger and was almost fully healed thanks to XL's previous blood transfusions and the other steps he took to heal her) earlier in the scene, before XL returned to the clamshell. XY's consciousness being pulled back into her body could have been a similar development or, as you speculated, perhaps XL needed to use the bug connection to pull her consciousness back into her body and the heart-glowing marked the moment when he initiated that process. 

If it was the latter, it seems strange that they wrote it so that XL initiated the process of calling XY's consciousness back to her body before asking his rhetorical question about whether or not XY would hate him if TSJ died. 

It also seems like the way the scene plays out in the drama doesn't match the script. XY's heart doesn't glow, and you have to be super eagle-eyed to spot XL's heart glowing for half a moment. 

Like I said before, it seems like they added that glow effect (to match what is in the script) and then later decided to remove it, but failed to completely remove it so we can still see the edge of the glow for half a second. Perhaps they took out the hearts glowing because the timing and intended meaning didn't really work / were confusing. 

Also, I really dislike that they didn't show XL saying that he would wake XY up that night after mentioning that TSJ was about to die, and that they didn't show the final (and most important) healing session at all. Clearly there still was one more healing session (XL told XY that they couldn't stay to listen to the merpeople's song because he needed to treat her, and obviously time passed between the moment when XY's consciousness was pulled back into her body with XL beside her and when she woke up in the clamshell on the ocean's surface with XL gone), but since the drama writers added indicators that XY was almost ready to wake up anyway (e.g., her consciousness suddenly being able to touch and move solid objects) and didn't show how the final healing session was different, it creates the impression that XL didn't make the selfless choice to use a more drastic and painful healing method to wake XY up earlier specifically so that she could save TSJ's life. 

-----

Episode 32:

[Not a script translation. Just a description of the scene in the drama / transcription of the subtitles, for ease of reference.]

A box of precious medicines sent by CX sits beside the part of the clamshell where XY's body lay (I'll call this a pallet). The medicines include ice crystals, and a few of the ice crystals had spilled out of the box onto the "floor" of the clamshell beside the pallet. Bored, the manifestation of XY's consciousness (I'll call this XY's spirit for the sake of brevity) was lying on her stomach on the edge of the pallet and absent-mindedly tapping the ice crystals on the floor. Suddenly she realized that the ice crystal she tapped had moved when she tapped it. She perked up and tapped the ice crystal several times to confirm.

XY's Spirit: I can move [things]! I can touch things!

XL returns to the clamshell. 

XY's Spirit: Xiang Liu! Look I can touch things!

XL sits on the edge of the pallet by XY's body.

XY's Spirit: Am I getting better? 

XL touches XY's forehead - the type of touch one would use to assess if someone had a fever. 

XY's Spirit: What's wrong? Why do you look so gloomy?

XL: It's a full moon night. I'll take you out for a while. 

XY's Spirit: Great! [Thinking.] But on a full moon night, shouldn't you treat me?

XL: It's a pity we can't hear them sing after they've chosen their mates.

XY's Spirit: Why not?

XL: At midnight, we must go back for treatment. 

XY's Spirit: It's okay. We can hear them sing another time. You can take me out another day.

The clamshell closes. 

The next part of the scene is covered by liddi's translation of the script.

-----

Chapter 22:

One day Xiang Liu came back but instead of his usual touching her forehead and cheeks, he instead quietly stared at her. Xiao Yao couldn’t figure out what he was thinking, but she knew he was deciding something.

Xiang Liu said, “It’s mating season for the merpeople. This is the sound of their mating song and is purportedly the most beautiful sound in the world. The humans and the gods cannot ever hear it. Perhaps after you awaken you will be able to hear it.”

Xiang Liu took Xiao Yao out for a long time and they didn’t return until late into the night.

Xiao Yao, do you remember Tu Shan Jing? Wen Xiao Liu’s Ye Shi Qi? Since you’ve been sleeping, he’s also been unconscious. His life has been maintained by spiritual medicines until now but it’s almost at the limit. He’s at the brink of death.

Jing, Jing……Xiao Yao didn’t feel sad when she died, life has its beginning so it must have an end. It didn’t start happy and need not end sad. But right now she was very sad, she didn’t want Jing to die.

Xiao Yao tried to move.

Xiang Liu asked, “If he died, would you be really sad and hate me to the core?

Xiao Yao answered in her heart: I don’t want Jing to die, but I also won’t hate you.

Xiang Liu said, “Tonight I’m waking you up.

Xiang Liu fed his essential soul blood to Xiao Yao and, different from before where it felt like warm flames that chased away the coldness of death in Xiao Yao’s body, tonight his essential soul blood was a raging inferno that scorched Xiao Yao. It was colliding in her body and appeared to rip her insides to shreds before slowly bonding it back together.

Xiao Yao couldn’t cry out but her body violently shook. Gradually her hands could move, her legs could move, and then she painfully cried out as all the soul essence entered her body and she passed out in the midst of unbearable pain.

When Xiao Yao woke up, she felt the warm sun on her body and she subconsciously turned over to keep on sleeping. Suddenly she opened her eyes in disbelief. She laid there in a daze and then slowly raised her hand up.

Oh! She really could move!

“Xiang Liu!” Xiao Yao sat up but then her head bumped into something hard and she saw stars.

liddi:
Xiang Liu seemed to have sensed something, and glanced over to the direction where Xiao Yao's consciousness was. Eagerly, Xiao Yao's consciousness waved her hand in front of Xiang Liu.

XYC: Can you see me?

However, Xiang Liu shifted his gaze and continued to stare at Xiao Yao lying on the pallet. Disappointed, Xiao Yao's consciousness pulled Xiang Liu's hair dispiritedly.

XYC: I thought you had seen me just now!
XL: Xiao Yao, do you remember Tushan Jing?

Startled, Xiao Yao's consciousness forgot about pulling Xiang Liu's hair.

In the drama, they changed this hair pulling to XY spinning dispiritedly. 

Not really a fan of either version, but at least the hair pulling (especially if it was done in a certain way) would have been somewhat reminiscent of XY stroking XL's hair in chapter 35.

windiaaa041293:

@AH 

And when they were at the edge of the lake, when XY asked XL to move the bug to XL, if I'm not mistaken, there was a red rope tied to the tree.

I went back and re-watched both instances where XY and XL discussed moving the bug to XL (when XL first told XY that she should put the bug in his body when they were sitting by Gourd Lake and when XL brought up transferring the bug again and XY asked him to lure the bug into his body when they were sitting by the river) but I wasn't able to spot any red rope tied around a tree. 

liddi:
1 day ago
 AH :
Bonus points to anyone who recognizes those hands and sleeves. ^^

My daughter says it's Inuyasha and Kagome. 

Correct! The OG white-haired demon and black-haired archery girl couple from the 90s and early 2000s!

Tell your daughter she gets 937 bonus points. ^^

liddi:
Can we use the bonus points to redeem Xiang Liu from being butchered literally and metaphorically in S2?

Liddi with all your translations you've earned so many bonus points already... you're probably a bonus point billionaire. If anyone has earned the right to save XL in S2, it's definitely you. 

liddi:
The scene is in what is presumably S2 Ep13.

Thanks for the translation!

HeadInTheClouds:
Tong Hua based Xiang Liu's image on Sesshōmaru from Inuyasha didn't she?

Did she? I can totally see it. 

• Is a full blooded demon? Check.
  • Has white hair? Check. 
  • Wears a (mostly) white outfit? Check. 
  • Has an association with the moon? Check.
  • Has a true demon form that is all-white, giant, and in the form of an animal? Check. 
  • Has eyes that sometimes glow red when he is enraged? Check.
  • Has a cold demeanour? Check.
  • Is a powerful warrior with a well-earned reputation for ruthlessness? Check.
  • Wields a sword? Check.
  • Can also use poison in his body as part of an attack? Check.
  • Has an unexpected soft spot for one traumatized non-demon orphan girl, whom he decides to protect and brings back from the dead? Check. 

Although Inuyasha and Kagome also seem like they could have been a source of inspiration for XL and XY. 

And actually, thinking about it a bit, XL's personality seems like it's somewhere between Sesshōmaru's personality and Inuyasha's personality. Especially XL in the drama. Inuyasha is more emotional. Sesshōmaru is more stoic.  

Inuyasha:

• Is a unique type of demon (a hanyō / half-demon, half-human), which results in him being ostracized by both demons and humans. A bit like XL having nine-heads, which is unusual even for a demon, and results in him generally being perceived as scary and strange.
  • Spent a short time living with his human mother before she died. A bit like XL briefly caring for FFB's mother and experiencing a mother's love before she died. 
  • Usually has white hair (in his hanyō form) but sometimes has black hair (on the night of the new moon when he becomes a full human - i.e., when he becomes a non-demon - similar to XL using FFB's black-haired deity identity). 
  • Is a powerful fighter. 
  • Wields a sword. 
  • His eyes glow red when his rage-filled full-demon form takes over. 
  • Pretends not to care, but obviously cares a lot. 
  • Shot in the chest by an arrow from his first love, but the arrow didn't kill him.
  • Hundreds of years older than Kagome. 
  • Sometimes carries Kagome on his back when they need to travel faster and can't travel by air. 

Kagome:

• Has black hair. 
  • Is not a demon. 
  • Most of the time it seems like she's just a basic human with no special powers, but she does actually have a bit of spiritual power that she can tap into when needed.
  • Her weapon of choice is a bow and arrow, and she can combine her spiritual powers with her archery to enhance its impact. 
  • Has a unique ability to cause Inuyasha pain. Kikyo (Inuyasha's first love) created a necklace that could be used to control Inuyasha when she spoke a particular command word. Kagome is Kikyo's reincarnation. When Kagome (and only Kagome) speaks the command word, the necklace painfully forces Inuyasha to the ground, and Inuyasha is not able to remove the necklace.
  • Is not from Inuyasha's world. She was born in modern times, but fell through a magic well and travelled 500 years into the past to Inuyasha's time. The fact that neither of them really belongs in the other's world raises questions about the possibility of them being able to be together long term. 

Xiang Liu is someone that Xiao Yao yearns for, but feels like she can never have. Xiang Liu is that Bright White Moonlight - forever elusive and out of reach. She's always unsure about his feelings for her and her position/importance in his life. These things would have triggered her insecurity and fear of abandonment. I think this may be why she doesn't want to get rid of the Lovers Bugs since they provided a tangible link to Xiang Liu when his presence in her life was often elusive.”

“Come to think of it, I never get the sense that Xiao Yao sees the sharing of physical or emotional pain as a drawback of the Lovers Bugs when it comes to Xiang Liu. “

@HeadInTheClouds This is what I feel as well. There were occasions she was kind of telling “I need to get rid of the bugs between you and me”, but it was either to test XL or when she was rejected by XL.

She always felt underdog in front of him, especially with regard to bug reaction. He could make her feel whenever he wanted but she hardly could control the bug”

“In general XY or WXL in the past tried to have equal with XL, always try to "revenge" in consersation with him. Both of them didn't want to be loser in "their battle". So knowing XL having the same pain intensity in the heart made she feel less underdog. “

@H19279 I agree with your interpretation, in fact I feel that it is not that different to what I felt. With XL, XY had no control. I found XY’s comparison of FFB with Tushan Hou very interesting. Every man XY met had some kind of weakness, something they wanted. But with XL, she thought that nothing could bind him, he was indifferent, elusive and hence, she had no control with him.  Like HeadInTheClouds said, the bugs gave her some tangible link and some kind of leverage.

liddi:

AH :
Hmm. I'm going to tell myself that this cannot be trusted at all. I'm pretty sure my only hope of not hating S2 is to go in with expectations that are so incredibly low that it would be impossible for them to not be exceeded.

I am keeping my expectations tamped down, while hoping for a miracle. I know that I will be approaching each new episode with fear and trepidation. Gah.

Impressive duality.

liddi:

AH :
Oh no. Liddi I think you need a safer bubble. This one isn't reliable enough to hold onto :(

I can't think of anything else..... helppp....

We'll always have the novel...

blabla100:
@AH

"That's interesting. I always thought that this scene (when XL forces the window closed so that XY won't get sick from the cold, even though XY clearly wants the window open) was intentionally juxtaposed with the window scene in the next chapter (when TSJ wants to close the window for the same reason"

For sure those 2 scenes are related, I interpret the window as a metaphor for "hope". XY kept trying to have that window open, while XL kept closing it.

blabla100:
His answer after he had that window forcibly closed was "What kind of person I am, you’ve known all along.” - (it's similar to his answer from chapter 29"  “Every word he said is the truth. I’m not a guy suitable for a woman to follow. Isn’t that something you already know?”) which  again, points to the beach scene, when she told him that she is afraid to let him in her dreams, because he is not suitable to ever enter into a girl's dream, so closing the window was his way to remembered her yet again that and pushed her to let go already. After she accepted that there is no hope  for her and XL to be, she met with tianer who restored some of her hopes în Jing. Jing's window though, even though at that point wasn't open wide, giving the circumstances, can be described as open, because Jing did make a compromise with her, Jing was still open to fight for them, unlike XL, who was the dominant one between them. Also, în XY-XL's relationship, she was the giver, while în XY-Jing's relationship, she was the taker. She kept sending XL poisons every 3 months the same way and for the same reason Jing sent her wine every 15 days, as a reminder of one's feelings.

In addition to acting as a metaphor for how XL and TSJ act when they want to protect XY from the consequences of a choice she makes that will likely hurt her, I agree that there is a second metaphor like the one you described. I agree with the gist of what you said, but view the details slightly differently.

Similar to "hope", I feel like the window could be a metaphor for the possibility of a romantic relationship. Closing the window could represent closing the possibility of a relationship / pushing XY away / letting her go (despite continuing to love her) for her own good. Opening the window could represent saying or doing something to try to re-open the possibility of a relationship. 

In chapter 32, XL completely closes the window repeatedly and firmly, despite the fact that XY obviously wants it open. He also pushes XY away (towards TSJ) repeatedly and firmly, despite the fact that XY obviously has feelings for him. XY opens the window again repeatedly, only for XL to immediately close the window again. When XY says or does things that might re-open the possibility of a romantic relationship between them (like sending him the ice crystal ball), XL quickly acts to shut it down. 

In the end of the window scene in chapter 32, XL uses his powers to shut the window permanently, and makes it impossible for XY to re-open the window. When XY is infuriated by this, XL tells her she's always known who he is. Throughout chapter 32, XL's behaviour is designed to push XY away, and at the end of the chapter he threatens her and uses his power to make her experience excruciating pain before telling her to go to TSJ (ostensibly to confirm that he hired XL to ruin the wedding, but really to begin rekindling their relationship). It's a drastic measure. And at the end of the novel, XL forces XY to cut ties with him, kills the bugs connecting them, and chooses to die on the battlefield with the remnant army. He permanently closes the possibility of a romantic relationship between them, and XY can't do anything about it. She is furious with him in chapter 46 and in her grief she yells that she hates him for his choice in chapter 51, but she also recalls that she knew from the beginning that he was CX's enemy and also that he told her that, to a general, death on the battlefield was the best ending.  

In chapter 33, TSJ wants to close the window for XY's own good, but does not have the resolve to do so fully after XY yells "don't you dare!". So he leaves the window slightly open. Throughout the drama, there are times when TSJ knows that he should give XY up for her own good but is not able to do so completely (e.g., in chapter 22, when he is still engaged to FFYY, he tells XY that he knows FFB is more suitable for her and apologizes for not being able to let her go). XY wants to lose her temper with TSJ when he mostly closes the window in chapter 33, but finds that she can't. 

blabla100:
I am curious how you guys interpret the dream she had în chapter 32. My interpretation is that even though she is aware that her life next to Shiqi is something that she always longed for, since she always wanted a peaceful life with a forever companion, the truth is that deep down all she can see and what she actually wants is XL /  pure white, not Jing. She covers her eyes the same way XL had, when he saw himself reflected into her eyes, în  chapter 35.

"Xiao Yao nibbled on the biscuit and gradually fell asleep. She felt like she was back in Hui Chun Clinic and napping in the courtyard with Shi Qi quietly working beside her. She would natter to Shi Qi that the Autumn afternoon was the highlight of the day and have him go lay on the pallet with her to bask in the sun.

A string of children’s laughter roused Xiao Yao from her sleep and she flipped over. She subconsciously glanced towards Shi Qi and instead saw only pure white. Xiao Yao covered her eyes with her hands but she didn’t know what she was trying to cover."

I actually didn't interpret XY as dreaming in this scene. I thought she fell asleep and the vibe around her (both when she fell asleep and when she woke up) was similar to what it felt like when she was back at the clinic with YSQ working beside her. But I've been wrong about XY dreaming vs. not dreaming before. Maybe the original Mandarin text is clearer?

blabla100:
She subconsciously glanced towards Shi Qi and instead saw only pure white. Xiao Yao covered her eyes with her hands but she didn’t know what she was trying to cover.

XY confirmed in this chapter (chapter 32) that she wanted to marry YSQ. Unlike his alter ego TSJ, and unlike XL, YSQ was someone who could put her first and wasn't caught up in the messy world of clan politics and inter-kingdom warfare. 

XL asks XY The Question in this chapter. Based on XY's response, we can infer that in XY's heart, she felt that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with some version of XL, but her mind refused to think about that. Hence the conflict that made her unable to answer The Question... effectively giving us an answer with her non-answer. 

In that context, XY wakes up and glances towards someone working beside her. She expects to see YSQ, but instead sees pure white - the colour that XY associates with XL's cold, unattainable side. The colour that reminds XY that he is someone that she cannot have. 

IMO, XY doesn't want to see that heartbreaking reminder, so she covers her eyes. But her mind refuses to think about her feelings for XL, so she doesn't consciously know why she's covering her eyes. 

-----

Chapter 27:

In her dream, she saw Jing with his son, but she couldn’t see his son’s face, only that he curled in his dad’s arms and called him sweetly “Daddy” while Jing smiled back.

Xiao Yao ran away as fast as she could and in a second she ran from Qing Qiu to Qing Shui Town. Xiao Yao jumped in the river and swam towards the vast blue ocean. She could see endless horizons and the joy of swimming freely, but she was so, so tired! Where could she go in this entire world? Fang Feng Bei appeared on the surface and he sat on an all white clam shell smiling at her with his black hair flying in the breeze. Xiao Yao swam towards him but in a second his hair turned all white and he became Xiang Liu coldly staring at her. White clam shell, all white Xiang Liu, it was like an ice mountain floating on the ocean surface.

The black-hair-him, the white-hair-him, closer and further away……Xiao Yao suddenly turned and swam towards land, as she swam her tears tumbled down like rain……

Xiao Yao startled awake from her dream and felt coldness next to her. She touched her face and discovered that she was drenched in tears.

-----

Chapter 35:

Xiao Yao lifted her head and saw Xiang Liu dressed all in black with a black cloak covering him, wrapping his entire form snugly in pure black. He seemed like an imposing but ordinary person, until the slight gap in his hood showed a few white hairs.

She stared at Xiang Liu and the man before her was that dissolute wastrel, but the moment she was about to become torn again, a strand of white hair fell that reminded her exactly who he was. Xiao Yao softly stroked his hair and said, “This place is not safe to stay. Pay your respects and hurry off!”

Because she just cried, Xiao Yao’s eyes were extraordinarily clear and bright. Xiang Liu could clearly see himself reflected in her eyes, so he covered her eyes with his hand. “I’m off!”

Xiao Yao felt a soft coolness brush over her forehead, a brief touch that immediately vanished. Xiao Yao clasped her forehead in shock and opened her eyes to see the room was already empty before her.

Mistaken illusion! It was a mistaken illusion!

-----

Chapter 32 (the shorter version of this scene from Koala's translation of the 2013 edition of the novel):

Xiang Liu’s eyes were piercing bright and his voice tender and soft as he asked, “Do you want to marry Ye Shi Qi?”

Xiao Yao murmured, “I do.”

Another question was right at the tip of Xiang Liu’s lips but he was actually torn until a moment later he asked, “Who do you most want to spend your entire life with?

Xiao Yao opened her mouth to answer but her expression showed her internal struggle as her mind refused to let her say what her heart felt.

After multiple struggles she became more and more pained and her body began to shake as she clutched her head. “Hurt…..hurt…..” Xiang Liu had used his power to try and see into Xiao Yao’s heart but Xiao Yao’s mind was too strong willed. If she encountered something that even she refused to think about, then she would unexpectedly oppose answering it and the headache was the result of her refusal to answer the question.

Xiang Liu was afraid that she would injure her soul essence so he didn’t dare push her and quickly pulled back his probe and said, “If your head hurts, rest.”

H19279:
When she woke up, turning to the side she saw XL in brightly white. His figure was so white and bright that sored her eyes (TH even placed XL sitting in front of very dark red maple tree to make him look whiter). She was still hurt of losing FFB, losing her hope of having him in the mortal world with her.

I agree that she was still feeling the loss of FFB (the version of XL that could have been with her) and that XL's bright white hair and white robes were a reminder of that loss.

And in that context, doesn't it just add a layer of tragic irony that white is the colour that one would wear to a funeral in Dahuang / ancient China?

HeadInTheClouds:
No, Inuyasha is a Japanese manga and anime series. Inuyasha is the protagonist.

Yep!

HeadInTheClouds:
Rumour is that Tong Hua based the image of Xiang Liu (white hair, white clothes, attitude, not showing emotions etc.) on Sesshōmaru, Inuyasha's half-brother. 

Sounds like this is a widely known rumour? If it's true I find it very amusing that there's such a strong connection between XL and something I loved 20+ years ago. 

liddi:
S1Ep19 - Xiang Liu suppresses lovers bug

Thanks for translating liddi!

Kokuto:

Wow.  Granddaddy Emperor has totally lost it.  Gone from weaving an empire to weaving a basket.

Was there a basket weaving scene in the "leaked" script?

H19279:

Kokuto:
Wow.  Granddaddy Emperor has totally lost it.  Gone from weaving an empire to weaving a basket.

Yes, he only focused on working as a farmer after abdication in the book (mainly playing with various crops in different climate)

The King of Xiyan (the Yellow Emperor of Xuan Yuan in the novel) is loosely based on the figure of the Yellow Emperor / Huang / 黄帝 from Chinese mythology, the Kings of Chenrong (the Flame Emperors of Sheng Nong in the novel) are loosely based on the the Flame Emperors / Yán Dì / 炎帝 from Chinese mythology, and Chi Chen (Chi You or Qi Yo in translations of the 2013 version of the novel) is loosely based on the figure of Chi You, the leader of the Jiu Li tribe, from Chinese mythology. Each of these myths are partly rooted in real history. 

In Once Promised, Qi Yo (I'll use this version of the name to distinguish the character in the novel from the character in mythology) was the disciple of the Flame Emperor, who dedicated his life to creating the Sheng Nong Herb Manual before he died. That Flame Emperor's son was Prince Yu Wang, who was unable to unify the various factions of Sheng Nong in order to protect the Kingdom against the invasion that the Yellow Emperor started, resulting in Xuan Yuan conquering Sheng Nong.  

In Chinese history / mythology, Shengnong / Divine Farmer was the first Yán Dì. Shengnong is credited with many key innovations that greatly improved the lives of his people, including in the fields of agriculture and medicine. Some believe that the "Flame" in "Flame Emperor" is a reference to the slash-and-burn method of agriculture. Confusingly, some versions of the myths refer to Huang (I'll use that version of his title to distinguish him from the Yellow Emperor in LYF) as Shengnong's son. 

Huang defeated Yu Wang, the last Yán Dì, and combined their tribes into one tribe (the Yanhuang tribe). Chi You had previously defeated both tribes, but when the power of the two tribes were combined under Huang Dì's leadership, they were finally able to defeat Chi You. Confusingly, some versions of the myths refer to Chi You as one of Shengnong's ministers, which is similar to the relationship between Qi Yo and the Flame Emperor in Once Promised but doesn't really make sense if the Shengnong from Chinese mythology was the first Yán Dì who preceded the last Yán Dì (Yu Wang) by ~500 years, given that Yu Wang was defeated by Huang who went on to also defeat Chi You. 

The Yán Dì (Flame Emperors) were the first to start calling themselves "Dì" (god-like emperors) rather than "Hou" (lord). Huang Dì uses the same title and is considered to be one of Shengnong's successors who carried on some of Shengnong's innovations, including the secrets of medicine. 

In LYF, the Yellow Emperor is the one who encourages XY to complete the work that the Flame Emperor put into creating the Sheng Nong Herb Manual in order to create legendary medical texts that will greatly benefit all the people of the world, while he himself dedicates himself to agriculture after he passes the Xuan Yuan throne to CX. 

The Yellow Emperor also posses something that looks like half of a jade egg. When combined with its other half, it will create the River Portrait Book, which contains the secrets of the universe that will allow the one who possesses it to rule the world. But the other half was in the Grand Emperor's possession, so the Yellow Emperor was not able to combine the two halves until after the Grand Emperor passed the Gao Xing throne to CX. When the Yellow Emperor finally combined the two halves, he discovered that the book contained notes related to agriculture, which would allow the ruler that possessed it to help keep his people well fed. 

-----

Chapter 31:

One day the Yellow Emperor summoned Xiao Yao and took her into a wooden hut. It was sparsely decorated with only a jade box on the pallet that caught the eye. The Yellow Emperor said, “This was the residence of the former Flame Emperor.”

She knew which former Flame Emperor he was referring to but couldn’t help but confirm, “The Flame Emperor that is regarded as the founder of medicine?”

“Yes, the one who wrote the Sheng Nong Herb Manual, that Flame Emperor.”

Even though she never met him, Xiao Yao remained curious about him after memorizing the manual so she quietly looked around the hut.

The Yellow Emperor walked up to the pallet and pointed to the jade box. “This contains all the notes written by the Flame Emperor when he was doing his medical research. You can read it.”

Xiao Yao wasn’t very interested and murmured, “Sure.”

The Yellow Emperor added, “Whether he was still alive or after he died, the entire world respects the Flame Emperor more than me. After uniting the Middle Plains and to sooth the people’s will I had no choice but to venerate him, but in truth I never felt he was worthy until I settled at Xiao Yue Summit and chanced upon his handwritten notes. After reading it carefully I finally conceded that I could never match up to him. At least the me of the past couldn’t! Xiao Yao, I have only ever respected myself, the Flame Emperor is the only other person I ever respected and admired in my life.”

Xiao Yao stared in shock at the Yellow Emperor, unable to believe that such an ambitious, brave, and proud Yellow Emperor could have just said that.

The Yellow Emperor said, “The Sheng Nong Herb Manual is something you’ve long memorized but no matter how much you know it front to back you have never truly understood it. Don’t look at me like that, after you read it then you’ll understand what I mean.”

Xiao Yao opened the box and picked up the first scroll and started reading.

Once she started she was mesmerized and didn’t even know when the Yellow Emperor left.

From morning until evening, from evening until morning, Xiao Yao didn’t sleep or eat and just kept on reading.

The notes started with the Flame Emperor writing that he personally tested hundreds of plants and herbs to understand what its effects were. He discovered that he was being poisoned by the testing so he started to cure himself with antidotes.

The Flame Emperor carefully wrote down in detail every type of medicine he took.

He needed to catalog the effects of each medicine before and after, and then carefully write down how it affected him after he took it: weakness, pain, deafness, vomiting, spasms, heart murmurs, seizures, frothing at the mouth…..

The notes were detailed and calm without a shred of emotion. Xiao Yao read in it the cold stark words but knew behind it was real pain that a body had to endure. In the beginning Xiao Yao didn’t understand why the person who could write the Sheng Nong Herb Manual didn’t know how to lessen his own pain? But the more she read led her to understand that he knew how but didn’t want to help himself. He wanted to give the people of the world a manual that listed the first reaction to a plant or herb exactly as it was ingested.

Until the end, when the Flame Emperor knew there was no cure for his poisoned body, he still used his body to test all sorts of medicines not to cure himself but to catalog more and more to leave behind.

This could cure heart attacks but would leave nerve damage; that can lessen retching but will cause sleeplessness; that could help bodily pain but might lead to blindness…..

In these cold words, how deep was the love for the world, how magnanimous was the sacrifice, how brave and resilient was the determination.

An Emperor for the ages was willing to endure such pain and agony just to leave behind knowledge to help the humans lessen pain. But the lifespan of the gods was so long that to devote it to experiencing agony willingly required how vast a heart full of courage.

These notes were just a portion of what the Flame Emperor wrote but contained some plants not included in the Manual itself, likely because he didn’t have time to test it repeatedly to confirm. The knowledge included in the Manual was so detailed and precise, how much repeated testing did it take to create one such Sheng Nong Herb Manual?

After Xiao Yao finished reading the handwritten notes she sat there in a daze for some time before finally leaving the hut.

The Yellow Emperor stared at her quietly and she said, “I was wrong! I never truly read and understood the Sheng Nong Herb Manual!” In the past she heard people talking about how the Manual was the life’s work of the Flame Emperor but she never truly comprehended what that meant. Now she understood that what she had casually learned was not just a medical text but the blood and guts of an Emperor’s entire life.

The Yellow Emperor nodded. “If you’re wrong, how will you fix it?”

Xiao Yao didn’t have an answer.

The Yellow Emperor said, “The Flame Emperor didn’t have time to collect his final notes. He likely doesn’t care whether I am venerating him during official prayer ceremonies. If I could present the world with the final collection from his notes and help the people, it would be the best tribute to him. But I don’t know medicine.”

The Yellow Emperor took his hoe and headed for the fields.

Xiao Yao sat down crossed legged and slowly contemplated.

-----

Chapter 30:

The Yellow Emperor smiled and opened his palm to hand what looked like half a duck egg to Zhuan Xu. He picked it up and appeared to remember something. “The River Portrait Book?” He heard of it when he was small but this was the first time he saw it.

The Yellow Emperor nodded.

Xiao Yao squeezed over to look and Zhuan Xu handed it to her. She couldn’t see anything interesting about it other than it looking like half a jade egg but seemed to have constellations on top of it.

Zhuan Xu explained, Legend has it this contains the greatest secret of the universe but it can’t be unlocked until the two halves are placed together to form one complete jade egg.

Xiao Yao asked, “Where is the other half?

The Yellow Emperor said nothing as did Zhuan Xu.

Xiao Yao thought it was a Xuan Yuan state secret so didn’t press on and returned the half egg to Zhuan Xu. “I’ll go tidy up and then off to bed.”

Zhuan Xu saw Xiao Yao walk off and then formed a blocking spell while the Yellow Emperor waited for him to speak first. Zhuan Xu finally spoke, “There is something I can’t confirm. Since I ascended the throne I’ve been investigating Xiao Yao’s birth secret but the more I investigate the more confusing it is. I’ve even begun to believe in the rumors. Grandfather, who is Xiao Yao’s dad?”

Zhuan Xu looked down at the half jade egg in his hand and said nothing.

After a moment he said, “It’s actually good Xiao Yao is not the Grand Emperor’s daughter. I actually feel a bit of relief!”

“Do you want to let Xiao Yao know?”

Zhuan Xu didn’t answer that question and said, “What matters if the entire world knows she’s Qi Yo’s daughter? No matter how many people Qi Yo killed and how many people hate her now because of it, I have tens of thousands of guards ready to protect her.”

The Yellow Emperor said, “It’s not as simple as you think.”

Zhuan Xu stood up, “Grandfather get some rest. I want to go check on Xiao Yao and then head back.”

-----

Chapter 41:

[After CX invaded Gao Xing, CX married Ah Nian, and the Grand Emperor handed the Gao Xing throne over to CX]

Xiao Yao mused, “Dad really is wise, he knew that only by letting go of everything could he ensure Ah Nian’s happiness and peace her entire life.”

The Yellow Emperor’s expression grew solemn. “Very few can clearly see, even fewer can see clearly and choose to give it all up, and even less do so willingly. In the past I didn’t give him enough credit for his breadth of character. It’s just too bad your mom first met…” The Yellow Emperor sighed and let his words trail off.

Xiao Yao took out a silk pouch and handed it over. “Zhuan Xu wanted me to give this to you. He said that he doesn’t have time to study it so wanted Grandfather to give it a shot.

The Yellow Emperor opened the pouch and inside was a jade shaped like half a goose egg. He took out the other half already in his possession and put it together to form a complete jade egg. He sighed, hundreds of years later it was finally complete, the River Drawing Mountain Book. Legend had it that the person possessing it would rule the world. But in truth it was first ruling the world before a person could possess it. No wonder Qi Yo and Zhuan Xu could care less about it.

Xiao Yao curiously asked, “What’s hidden inside?”

The Yellow Emperor said, “I’ve been studying it for hundreds of years and have an idea. Soon we’ll know for sure.”

The Yellow Emperor closed his eyes and injected his power into the jade egg, and after a few moments he opened his eyes and sighed loudly.

Xiao Yao asked, “Grandfather, what did you see?”

“Inside is a map of the entire vast wilderness, notes on various spiritual maze construction, and a section of the journal of the Great Emperor Pan Gu.”

“Looks like this really contains the personal items left behind by the Great Emperor Pan Gu. What does it say?”

“Just notations on what regions with different climates are suitable for planting what crops, much like the medical journal left behind by the Flame Emperor. This contains the things the Great Emperor Pan Gu still hadn’t completed. The mazes are not intended for battle but to assess the climates of places and help analyze how to plant crops.”

Xiao Yao thought about it and understood. “The Flame Emperor wanted to help heal the world’s ails, while the Great Emperor Pan Gu was thinking of keeping his people from ever being hungry.”

The Yellow Emperor nodded and sighed. “So the secret to ruling the world was never any mystery, to keep the people healthy and fed would then naturally lead to ruling a content world.”

The Yellow Emperor looked out on the fields deep in thought. Xiao Yao smiled, her grandfather was going to be busy again. In addition to completing the Flame Emperor’s legacy, he now wanted to complete the Great Emperor Pan Gu’s wish that the people were well fed.

The Yellow Emperor put the jade egg away and asked, “Why are you smiling?”

Xiao Yao bowed. “Your Majesty, you put all the pains and suffering of the people in your heart. The people will also put you in their hearts. Thousands of years from now you will be like the Flame Emperor, revered and spoken about by all.”

The Yellow Emperor smiled and shook his head. “I don’t care about that now. All I care about is doing what I can for the future of the people.”

H19279:
Those people who claim him the master healer took the message from the drama: HEALING. The song which is believed as Jing's theme song is Heal(ing). And it is taken from the context that XY told CX that Jing healed her pain in chapter 47. However, don't trust much on XY's word. She said a lot of bullshit one. Jing had never healed her trauma completely. He  is the place where she thought she could escape from her psychology shortcomings.

P/s: and the message that the drama tries to sell is also happy ending with XY-Jing. So it is what is it. I just don't care if both of them healed each other

Thanks for providing that context. I never would have guessed that to be what they were getting at with "master healer". 

H19279:
Keep in mind what happened in the pool just before she was unconscious

As much as I enjoy the healing pool scene, particularly the lustier version in the novel, I don't think it provides a good set up to position XY as being the equivalent of a woman who needed alcohol to escape the suffering she was experiencing due to missing her beloved husband so deeply, with XL being the equivalent of that husband she is missing.

H19279:
in the drama they showed XY called XY name. Of course you also can interpret that she called XY to stop killing CX in her dream.

Yes, I take the second view. 

When WXL says, "Xiang Liu... Xiang Liu... Xiang Liu... Please don't... Don't..." while reaching out in her sleep with her brow furrowed with concern and sweat beading on her forehead in episode 10, I interpret that to be intended to show WXL wanting to stop XL from killing CX, rather than WXL deeply missing XL.

H19279:
However, XY had never develop romatic feeling (lover to CX) so what is more plausible

It's true that XY's love for CX wasn't exactly romantic love. Although again, there are a few points where the line between what constitutes platonic love and what constitutes romantic love isn't super clear. 

However, WXL definitely loved CX deeply and missed him deeply at the point when she quoted the poem to TSJ in chapter 6. 

When WXL sang a sorrowful song (about missing someone forever and never being able to forget) to lure out the Jiu Jiu / Fei Fei in chapter 2 (so after being separated from CX for hundreds of years but before quoting the poem in chapter 6), I believe she thought of CX at that time and that was how she gave the song the sorrow it needed. It seems pretty clear that she wasn't thinking of YSQ yet in that way, and she hadn't met XL yet at that point. 

When they were children, XY promised to marry CX and to be with him forever. But they were forced to separate and missed each other deeply for 300 years. Her memories of CX sustained XY through decades of torture when she was captured by the nine-tailed fox (which she mentions in chapter 47), more torture when she was captured by Xuan in chapter 5 (before she knew that Xuan was CX), and the excruciating pain she experienced when she shielded CX from being killed by XL in chapter 6. 

The moment she recognized CX on the battlefield in chapter 6, XY was willing to sacrifice her life to save his life. That remained true through almost the whole novel, as XY reflected in chapter 47.

In the poem that XY quotes, the woman's husband is a king who has been away on the battlefield for a long time. We can assume that her feelings for her husband are probably feelings of romantic love. But we don't know that for sure. We do know that she misses her husband deeply, and when she is prevented from re-uniting with him, she needs to use alcohol to distract herself from the suffering of missing him. 

IMO, that matches up very closely to XY's feelings for CX in chapter 6. They were apart for 300 years, and XY deeply missed CX throughout that time. When they met again as WXL and Xuan the wine merchant, they did not recognize each other and continued to miss one another deeply. Shortly before XY quotes the poem in chapter 6, XY draws on her memories of CX twice. First in chapter 5, when she uses her memories of CX to withstand torture. And again in chapter 6, after she recognizes who Xuan really is and experiences excruciating pain after saving CX's life. But when WXL wakes up after her injuries are mostly healed, she doesn't run to CX to reveal her true identity. She is prevented from doing so because of what revealing her identity would entail. So she continues to suffer and miss him, and needs a distraction from that suffering. 

In the very next scene, XY has to contain her emotions when CX visits the clinic. At the end of that visit, CX actually invites XY to drink with him, of all things. IMO, part of XY knows she shouldn't, but another part of her can't help but want to anyway. In the end, that other part wins.  

So when XY says, "I'll drink from the gold cup, so that I won't miss him any longer! I'll drink from the jade wine pouring vessel, so that I won't suffer any longer! From death to life, let me indulge for a moment and forget about those sad things." in chapter 6 to indicate that she wants to forget, for a moment, about missing someone, I think it is more plausible that the "someone" is CX than that the "someone" is XL. 

-----

Chapter 2:

Jiu Jius loved listening to a young woman sing. A Jiu Jiu would be attracted to the young woman’s sorrowful song and its body would inch closer to help the girl forget her sorrows. Xiao Liu found a suitable spot to set the trap.

He jumped into the water to wash off the poop first, then crawled on a rock and sat down. The rock was warmed by the sun and Xiao Liu sat there fixing his hair and singing. The song was carried by the wind. Xiao Liu sang a song about missing someone forever and never being able to forget.

Xiao Liu’s voice was melodic and the song was sorrowful. So the Jiu Jiu was lured out. Initially it was scared, so it hid in the dark. When it sensed no danger, it could not overcome its natural instinct to help people forget sorrow, so it stepped out and started chirping.

-----

Chapter 26:

Seeing Zhuan Xu getting married, Xiao Yao plastered a smile on her face but had no happiness in her heart. They stumbled, they fell, they drifted, they fought, along the way her and Zhuan Xu both grew up and now he was getting married. But this wedding wasn’t what Xiao Yao had envisioned.

In her memories: her Eldest Uncle’s wedding to the Sheng Nong Kingdom’s Princess was a lavish ceremony. She and Zhuan Xu got in a fight, he said a married daughter was like water splashed outside. She remembered later her Fourth Auntie committing suicide, Zhuan Xu’s nightly nightmares, her comfort that she would forever be with him. Zhuan Xu said she would marry one day and leave her, she innocently said that she wouldn’t marry another, she would marry him……

-----

Chapter 47:

Zhuan Xu wanted to deny it but his pride wouldn’t allow him to, so he said after a pause, “It was me!”

“It was you!” Xiao Yao thought she had experienced every type of pain in the world, but who knew the most painful thing in the world was the person you love taking a knife and carving out your heart. Every part of Xiao Yao hurt, her insides, her bones, her skin, her head, none of the pain she experienced in the past could hold a candle to this. She was in such pain she wanted to die. Xiao Yao closed her eyes, unable to look at Zhuan Xu. “Get out!”

In Xiao Yao’s heart, Zhuan Xu was the closest person to her, so much so that she didn’t differentiate between him and her. If he wanted something then she would give her life to help him achieve it. From Five Gods Mountain to Xuan Yuan Mountain, from Xuan Yuan Mountain to Sheng Nong Mountain, whatever she had Zhuan Xu could have it, including her life.

Zhuan Xu softly asked, “Xiao Yao, if Jing killed me, would you punish Jing this way for me?”

“Jing would never hurt you! He knows how important you are to me. He would rather endure pain himself than to put me in such pain…..” Xiao Yao’s voice got softer and softer.

Zhuan Xu held Xiao Yao tightly and kissed her forehead. “Xiao Yao, I’m sorry! I was wrong! I was wrong!” From childhood until now he did everything and never regretted anything until now.

Zhuan Xu’s tears fell and Xiao Yao saw it and smiled. “Gege, Zhuan Xu…….I……..I forgive you! It’s too hard to hate you…….worse than cutting my own heart to pieces……I forgive you…….

Zhuan Xu cried, “Xiao Yao, tell me! If we could do it all over again and I held you close after we reunited on Five Gods Mountain, with no chance for Jing to get close to you, would you have picked me?”

Xiao Yao was about to pass out but Zhuan Xu’s words took her back to the very beginning and it was as clear as yesterday, “When I was locked up in the cage by the nine-tailed fox, all I could think of was you…..all I missed was you….when you didn’t recognize me, I still used my life to save you…….back then…….there was no Jing yet………..” Xiao Yao’s voice trailed off.

Zhuan Xu cried out, “Xiao Yao! Xiao Yao!………..” but he could feel only silence as her breathing ceased. 

On Cao Yun Peak, they played during the day and slept in each other’s arms at night. They buried and said farewell to their loved ones, they endured the pain together……….Xiao Yao said her heart had turned cold into stone, but he remained the most precious treasure that Xiao Yao kept deep in her heart, in the softest most secure place. When Jing said he would give first and trust first to try and win Xiao Yao’s heart, Xiao Yao had already done the same for Zhuan Xu. She didn’t like politics or care about the greater good, but she accompanied him back to Xuan Yuan Mountain and always protected him…..

-----

Chapter 5:

Two masked men came in explaining they were under orders to keep him alive, but the rest was fine. The decided on his hands so he couldn’t poison others. They took out a torture device which was a rectangular stone box like a little coffin but with an opening on top.

“Inside the box are flesh eating bugs. The oil is smeared on dead corpses for burial. This will signal to them your hands are dead flesh to be eaten. They will slowly burrow into your fingers and you will feel your flesh being eaten. The fingers are tied to the heart and it’s so painful that people will try to gnaw off their own hands to end the pain. So that is why we have to seal your mouth shut. Five days later when the box is opened, you will see two sets of finger bones as clean as white porcelain. We’re turning off all the light so that in the dark you can feel the pain more. Last time we did this, the person went insane. We hope you won’t go crazy.”

Before the light disappeared completely, Xiao Liu opened his eyes wide. He knew the men were right, the only way not to go crazy was to stay awake. Xiao Liu felt the pain in the fingertips, like a bug burrowing into his body and gnawing on his heart.

Xiao Liu started talking to himself, whatever he remembered he would say out loud. In the painful darkness, the images appeared strangely clear.

The fire red phoenix flower was blooming overhead and the swing was hung on the phoenix tree. She liked to swing on the swing but her older brother cousin liked to practice his power training. She loved to tease him. “Gege, gege, look how high I’m swinging…..” He never acknowledged her but if she accidentally fell down then he would always catch her in time.

In the verdant green forest she liked to play hide-and-seek. Seeing Gege coming to find her, she would jump on his back when he wasn’t looking and laugh. She would refuse to get off so that he would piggyback her home. When Mom saw them she would sigh and shake her head. But Grandmother would point out that Mom was the same when she was a kid.

She would play tug of war with Gege and the loser would have their nose scraped. When she won she would scrape really really hard, but when she lost, she would softly plead, “Gege, Gege, not too hard!” Gege would raise his hand and come down hard, but the moment his hand touched it was whisper soft.

The red-robed Uncle gave her a cut off white fox tail to play with. She loved it and so did Gege, but she would only allow him to play with it for a short while. But each time there needed to be a trade, Gege needed to steal some snacks for her. One time she ate too many and had an upset stomach and Mom angrily scolded her. But she felt wronged and told Gege, “You learn how to make that snack, so that I can eat as much as I want and Mom and Grandmother won’t have a say!” Gege agreed and actually learned to make the snack but refused to make any for her. All he said was, “When you grow up and won’t have a stomachache when you eat it, then I’ll make it for you.”

Grandmother’s health deteriorated and Mom was always by her side and couldn’t take care of her and Gege. People said that Uncle and Auntie died, and that Grandmother would die soon. She was so scared and at night she secretly climbed into bed with Gege and softly asked, “What is death?” Gege answered, “Death is never being able to see someone again.”

“And can’t talk to that person again?” “Nope.” “Like you can’t see your mom and dad again?” “Yes.” “Is Grandmother going to die?” Gege embraced her tightly and his tears fell on her face. She hugged him back tightly. “I will never die, and I will always talk to you.”

Everyone said that Gege was very strong inside, even Grandfather thought Gege never cried. But she knew Gege cried, but she never told Mom. She often snuck into Gege’s bed at night to keep him company. Even if the next day she got scolded that she was too old now and needed to learn to sleep alone. She can’t go bother Gege and disturb his rest. She said nothing and accepted the scolding, but every night she would sneak out to go find Gege.

During the day Gege would study hard but only she knew that at night Gege would wake up and curl into a ball and shiver. She knew that he was seeing the image of his own mother committing suicide. She would hold Gege like cradling a doll, lightly patting him and humming the same song that Mom and Auntie would sing. Tears would fall from Gege’s eyes and one time she tasted it and learned it was salty and bitter.

One time Gege had a nightmare and tried to hold back his tears. She grabbed him and yelled, “Gege, cry! You need to cry!” Gege asked her “They all want me to not cry, why do you want me to cry? Don’t you know that I shouldn’t cry?” She tweaked her nose. “I don’t care what they say. All I know is that your heart hurts and tears can help the pain flow out of your body. Once the pain flows out, the heart can slowly heal.”

The night before she left for Jade Mountain, Gege asked to sleep with her. She was sleeping all drowsy when she felt Gege embrace her and tears fell on her face. She thought he had a nightmare and was about to pat him. “Don’t worry, I’m here with you.” Gege instead kept repeating, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m too useless. I will hurry up and grow up. I will protect you and Auntie. I will go bring you back….”

In the darkness the time passed and Xiao Liu only spoke to himself, but sometimes there was so much pain he forgot what he was saying. But every time he used his incredible willpower to keep on talking to himself.

-----

Chapter 6:

Suddenly his eyes spotted something long and white. It looked like the tail of an animal. Before Xiao Liu could process it, his body froze. He jumped over and picked up the white thing hanging on a tree – it was a fluffy white fox tail. Xiao Liu’s entire body was immobilized. Then his lips curled into a smile, and within that smile there were tears in his eyes that were about to fall sorrowfully.

Suddenly his face changed and he charged after Xiang Liu and Xuan like a crazed person.

Xiang Liu’s eyes glowed demon red and Xuan’s body was pressed down like a mountain was on top of him. He couldn’t move or dodge but he refused to close his eyes. If he was going to die, then he wanted to see clearly how he died.

A figure flew forward like a shooting star into Xuan’s embrace and blocked Xiang Liu’s thunderous blow.

“Ah———” Xiao Liu painfully screamed.

Xuan felt the exact same pain, it pierced him straight through the heart. But he only felt the pain and wasn’t actually injured. Xuan stared in shock at Xiao Liu, not understanding why Xiao Liu saved his life at his own expense.

Xiao Liu pushed him hard. “Run!”

Xiang Liu wouldn’t let Xuan escape and tried to attack again. Xiao Liu turned and risked his life again, tightly grabbing onto Xiang Liu’s clawed hand to prevent him from attacking Xuan again.

Xiao Liu knew Xiang Liu would kill him but felt no fear.

The red blood around her made her see the fire red phoenix flowers. Under the phoenix tree, there was a Mom who made a swing for her. She stood on the swing and welcomed the falling phoenix leaves. She rose high and her laughter blanketed the earth. Gege stood under the phoenix tree, looking up at her with a smile. When she came down, he pushed her up again. Her swing rose up, came down, rose up, came down…..

Xiang Liu’s razor sharp claw came down towards Xiao Liu’s neck but Xiao Liu’s eyes were wide open and he smiled sweetly towards him, his smile like a flower blooming in the Spring. Xiao Liu’s thin neck was in Xiang Liu’s hand, he only needed to squeeze and all trouble would be gone. Xiao Liu smiled and sighed softly, as if he was content. His head lowered and his eyes closed.

Xiao Liu walked up to Jing, smiled and sighed. "I'll drink from the gold cup, so that I won't miss [him] any longer! I'll drink from the jade wine pouring vessel, so that I won't suffer any longer!" From death to life, let me indulge for a moment and forget about those sad things.

Jing suddenly embraced Xiao Liu, gently but tightly pulling him into his arms. Xiao Liu closed his eyes, allowing his head to lightly rest on Jing’s shoulder. In this moment, they were just Shi Qi and Xiao Liu.

Xuan walked into the clinic and sat down across from Xiao Liu, “Giving final instructions?”

Xiao Liu went to get water and used that to control the emotions in his eyes.

“Fine.” Xuan got up and left, and when he arrived at the door, he suddenly turned around. “When you have time, you can come drink with me at the shop.” Xiao Liu smiled. “Sure.”

Xiao Liu stared confused and then after some time he started to smile. Can I really go drink with you? There was a voice that told him not to, but another said that he was leaving town soon, so if not now then he’ll never get the chance again.

Xiao Liu remembered another invitation to drink and stared at the snow in a dazeTian Er brought a lantern over and Chaun Zi was about to blow it out when Xiao Liu took it and left the house.

Lao Mu called out, “You don’t want to drink?” but Xiao Liu just waved his hand. Under the falling snow, Xiao Liu walked down the street until he was outside the wine shop. He suddenly wavered and stood outside holding the lantern. Xiao Liu turned to leave when he heard, “Since you came, when not come inside?” Xuan stood in the doorway and stared at Xiao Liu.

The two didn’t speak and just drank. One was still wary and didn’t feel like bullshitting, the other was restraining heartache and had no words to say.

Xiao Liu asked, “You and Ah Nian…..is it really just sibling feelings between you guys?”

“This is my little sister-cousin’s precious treasure. When we were parting, she gave it to me but said it was just temporarily for me to play with. But that temporarily has become three hundred years.”

Xuan lightly stroked the white fox tail. “My little sister is the daughter of my Aunt and my Master. I promised my Aunt I would take care of my little sister, but I broke my promise. When my little sister was small, she went missing. They all say she’s dead but I still have a shred of hope. I hope that she is alive and will come back to ask for this fox tail back. Ah Nian is also the daughter of my Master. I am good to her because it’s like being good to my missing sister.”

Xiao Liu appeared totally under the influence and needed to hold onto Xuan. He raised a bowl and used it to wipe away a tear. Xuan curled the fox tail back into a ball and put it into the satchel, and then tucked the satchel snugly next to his body. He poured more wine and drank with Xiao Liu.

After two jugs were finished, the two fell asleep drunk. In the middle of the night, Xiao Liu woke up to find Xuan had left. Xiao Liu couldn’t fall back asleep so laid awake until sunrise.

For the rest of the Winter, Xuan and Xiao Liu would often drink together. 

----

Chapter 9:

The Grand Emperor said nothing and Zhuan Xu bolted up and rushed to the door. “I’m going to ask her. I’m going to ask her who she really is, and why she won’t reunite with me.”

“In this world, it’s not only ill intent that causes harm, a lot of harm is caused by love. You want to know who she is, I want to know too. But don’t force her. Give her time to tell us who she is.”

Zhuan Xu’s hand touched Xiao Liu’s leg and he tenderly asked, “Does it hurt?”

Xiao Liu turned her head and closed her eyes. “No.”

Zhuan Xu had hundreds, thousands of words he wanted to say, tightly wound in his chest so he felt like exploding but he didn’t dare to open his mouth. In the three hundred years since, he was no longer the boy pushing her on the swing under the phoenix tree. Both his parents were dead, he was exiled and had to scrape by under others, he had worn his mask for too long and no longer knew how to feel genuine joy and genuine pain. He learned to manipulate others but forgot to to act with sincerity. He learned to use all sorts of strategy to achieve his goals but forgot how to converse candidly.

Zhuan Xu stood up and said to Shi Qi, “Take good care of her.”

Shi Qi saw Xiao Liu had her eyes tightly shut, and only after the sound of Zhuan Xu’s departing footsteps faded did the tears tumble down from the corner of her eyes. Shi Qi pulled Xiao Liu into his arms and Xiao Liu buried her face in his chest as her tears fell like the rain.

It’s been over three hundred years, and she was no longer the little girl on the swing under the phoenix tree.

She once roamed in the deep mountains, drinking blood like an animal; she was once locked in a cage, raised like a pet; she was once chased and she killed many; her life was a lie, it was blood, it was death, everyone lied to her so she didn’t know who to trust, she didn’t know who to be in front of everyone.

Xiao Liu said, “They say you….you don’t want me anymore. Why didn’t you come to Jade Mountain to pick me up?

Xiao Liu asked, “Are you really my father?

The Grand Emperor raised her face and looked directly into her eyes and said with absolute certainty. “I am your father! Even if you don’t call me dad, I am always your father!”

Xiao Liu suddenly felt like a dam burst and she was laughing and crying. 

Even after three hundred years apart, perhaps it’s because their blood was connected, and because each tucked the other person away deep inside the heart, the two of them had no awkwardness and could joke with each other without reservation.

-----

Chapter 10:

“Do you wish to stay here by their side?”

“I’m willing to spend time with them. But I’m lazy now and don’t want to be the Gao Xing Eldest Princess. But knowing my dad, my grandfather, Zhuan Xu’s personality……even Ah Nian that clueless one knows that it’s pointless to go up against them.” Xiao Liu sighed. “If I didn’t reappear it would be fine, but I’m here now so they will never allow me to return to being Wen Xiao Liu. I ran away before not because I was angry at them, it was also because I knew that once I returned to my real identity, it would be harder to leave here than to ascend to the Heavens.”

Shi Qi looked at Xiao Liu. “A person cannot choose their birth, even if we are unwilling, we must accept it.”

That Nine-tailed fox said I wasn’t my dad’s daughter. He said that mom was a slut and cheated on my dad with General Qi Yo of the Sheng Nong Kingdom. He said I was really the demon spawn of the most vicious monster who ever lived: Qi Yo.” The Nine-tailed fox constantly insulted Xiao Yao’s mom, and initially she was angry and didn’t believe him, but after thirty years of hearing him say it over and over again, she started to get confused.

Zhuan Xu shot up and stared in shock at Xiao Yao. So this was the real reason she was too scared to come home.

Xiao Yao’s eyes were filled with confusion and terror. “The Nine-tailed fox said that Qi Yo and my Mom were a pair of adulterous lovers and I was their love child. He said my mom was devious and lied to my dad and to the entire world by passing me off. If my dad knew the truth, he would destroy the demon spawn that was me……”

She even dared to suggest “Dad, can I not be the Gao Xing Eldest Princess? I’m not saying I don’t want to be your daughter, I just don’t want to be a princess.”

“No!”

“Why not?”

“Because you’re my daughter, I am the Grand Emperor of Gao Xing.”

Xiao Liu immediately adopted the saddest puppy dog expression and grabbed her dad’s arm and shook it while pleading, “But it’s so hard being the Princess. I have to eat properly, behave properly, and even my marriage is sacrificed to politics and gain. I don’t want to be the Princess!

The Grand Emperor said, “A person needs to have proper manners, it’s not a bad thing. As for marriage, who do you think I’ll sacrifice you to?”

Xiao Liu blurted out, “I don’t know who you will sacrifice me to, I just….I just…..”

The Grand Emperor’s hand caressed Xiao Liu’s head and he said sadly. “I’m not like any other dad, I have too much I need to deal with. I worry about a kingdom and its citizens. I cannot just let you do what you want. I need to protect my daughter and the only protection I can give my daughter is my authority. Only if you are the Gao Xing Princess can you enjoy the protection of the entire kingdom. Before anyone dares to harm you, they need to consider whether they can withstand the wrath of an Emperor. Xiao Yao, this is the only thing I can give you as a father who did not do his duty for you. Please don’t reject it.”

Xiao Liu felt her tears about to fall and she took a deep breath. “Dad, I’m willing to be the Princess.”

“The poison attempt with Cang Xuan, I don't think she thought about Xinag Liu at all. By that point, she had severed their ties and gave up whatever hope she might have had left towards him. Do you feel like she was happy that he was going to die with her? I just thought that she was so far gone that she didn't even think of it, but considering that she still remembered to make plans for Left-Ear's future and we know that she sees Left-Ear as what Xiang Liu could have been then it seemed that he did cross her mind. “

“The other possibility was that perhaps a part of her was thinking that Xiang Liu would come and save her again. When she woke up on Jade Mountain, she mistook Lie Yang for Xiang Liu and was disappointed when she realized he wasn't.”

“Or Maybe she also wants to punish XL for what happened between them - another way of getting one over him? “

@HeadInTheClouds My interpretation is that her behavior is a combination of all these you mentioned.

@H19279 Your explanation that XY did not care because XL had 9 lives also makes sense and very possible. One question I have here is that she did not think or question about the 9 lives when XL saved XY from the whirlpool and berated her for putting his life in danger. However it is possible that she thought of the 9 lives later. So, I think that your explanation is possible. However, my gut feeling is that XY either wanted to take XL down with her or she wanted to see him again if he came to save her after suicide. I think that XY has very complicated feelings when it comes to XL. I think this is coming from a combination of her psychological wounds, and her feelings that XL is unattainable and indifferent. My interpretation is that, along with love, she also has some hate/ some callousness towards XL.

Someone had mentioned earlier how XY didn’t consider XL when she committed suicide, but later asked CX to spare XL’s life. The poster had pointed out how as long as she was alive, she wanted XL to be alive, but she would not care for his life when she committed suicide.

You should join in the discussions. People get passionate and pull out their quotes, but we're a friendly and courteous bunch. Differing opinions keep things lively, otherwise, it just ends up being an echo chamber.“

@HeadInTheClouds thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate how academic and professional this thread is.