Correcting misinformation in LYF YouTube comments is a full time job.

Misinformation (auto-translated to English):

There is a wounded little girl living in Xiaoyao's heart. She has been hiding herself in a hard shell, just like Wen Xiaoliu. Xiaoyao slowly opened up that hard shell with Jing's help. Although she was hurt, she gained happiness because of her sincere dedication. This is something that even Xiang Liu Cangxuan cannot do. Xiang Liu saved Xiao Yao's life, but Tu Shan Jing healed Xiao Yao's heart. It's a pity that Cang Xuan poked a big hole in the heart that had just been filled.

My response (auto-translated to English):

It was Xiang Liu who opened Xiaoyao's hard shell first. Jing opened Xiaoyao's hard shell after sleeping for thirty-seven years, but trapped her in a web.

He raised his head hard and kept all his expressions in Xiang Liu's sight, "I'm just an abandoned person. I can't protect myself, have no one to rely on, and have nowhere to go, so I chose to do it in Qingshui Town." Wen Xiaoliu.
If my lord allows me, I hope I can be Wen Xiaoliu for the rest of my life. "Xiang Liu looked at him indifferently, Xiao Liu didn't dare to move, cold sweat dripped from his forehead, and there was moisture in his eyes. The shell that had not been opened for decades was forced to be torn open.
— LYF, Part 1, Chapter 2: The Road Ahead Is Uncertain

Xiang Liu suddenly stopped. Xiao Liu didn't know why, but he didn't ask. He just couldn't help but leaned closer to Xiang Liu, and stared silently at the east with Xiang Liu.
Not long after, a bright moon slowly rose from the sea, and the clear light poured down. Xiaoliu was shocked by the beauty of the world, and the hard shell in his heart softened.
Amidst the sound of the waves, Xiang Liu's voice came: "As long as there is such a scene between heaven and earth, life will be precious."
— LYF, Part 1, Chapter 4: It’s hardest to get together and easy to say goodbye.

Xiaoyao stared at Jing and murmured to herself: "Are you really so sad that you killed yourself because of me?"
Xiaoyao found it unbelievable, but the hard shell in her heart was completely shattered. The longing that had not been cut off several times finally weaved into a web at this moment.
— LYF, Part 2, Chapter 5: But the farewell lasts a long time

MengXiang:
I was thinking... If XL did ask her seriously to run away with him and he was willing, I think it shouldn't be a hard decision. It wouldn't really be a betrayal to CX as she is taking XL from the resistance army and XL was what made the army so difficult so in a way her leaving with him would be beneficial to CX. 

MengXiang:

Do you think XY would go with XL if he responded to her crystal ball and would that be a betrayal of their childhood promise, given at that point CX has all least ascended the throne.

It's really hard to say. It's not clear to me if XY created the ice crystal ball and sent it to XL with a specific hope that he would come to her, accept her feelings and confess his own, agree to enter into a relationship with her, and run away together (leaving both the Shengnong remnant army and CX behind forever), because she was fully prepared to leave CX behind (even though that would mean breaking the vow she made to her grandmother) if XL was willing to leave the Shengnong remnant army behind. Or if she created the ice crystal ball and sent it to XL based on emotions that she didn't fully think through, and perhaps even emotions that she didn't fully acknowledge or admit to herself, without reaching a point where she knew that she was mentally and emotionally ready to leave CX for XL if only he was willing to respond to her plea. In which case, maybe she still would have been hesitant to leave CX even if XL did respond to her ice crystal ball message. 

But, in either case, I do think that XY's relationship with CX and the intensity of her commitment to keep her vow changed over time. 

Between chapter 9 (when WXL's identity as XY was revealed to CX against her will) and chapter 28 (when CX obtained the throne), XY seemed committed to keeping her vow. She wanted to take care of and protect CX, she was resolved to not leave or abandon CX (at a time when he had no other allies on his side) and instead committed to helping him achieve his goal, and she was willing to treat him as her closest and dearest person. 

But then CX succeeded in obtaining the throne, married Xing Yue, and made Xing Yue his Empress. At that point, XY felt that CX no longer needed her help or protection and that she was no longer CX's closest and most important person. In those circumstances, it seemed like she was less worried about keeping her vow (or staying by CX's side for any other reason) than she was at other points in the story. 

At the beginning of this period (in chapter 29 or at the end of chapter 28), XY started making the ice crystal ball. In chapter 30, XY went and lived in Gao Xing for 13 months and only returned to Xuan Yuan when CX used his own safety to blackmail and force XY to return with him. And near the end of this period (four years later, in chapter 31), XY completed the ice crystal ball and sent it to XL. When XL didn't respond to her message she went forward with her plans to marry Feng Long. By this point, XY came to the conclusion that she had been petty after CX's marriage with Xing Yue and that she and CX could still be each others' closest person even if they married other people. XY told CX that he would still be her closest person after she married Feng Long. But she planned to leave Sheng Nong Mountain to live in Chi Shui after her wedding, which would mean living away from CX. Marrying Feng Long would also mean breaking her childhood promise to marry CX so she could be with him forever instead of leaving him to marry someone else. 

Between chapter 33 and chapter 41, XY and TSJ reconciled, got engaged, and almost got married (with the wedding only being prevented by CX's intervention). In chapter 35, CX spread rumours about XY's true parentage so that her ties with Gao Xing would be cut before he declared war against Gao Xing. If he hadn't done so, it's possible that XY would have chosen to leave CX and return to Gao Xing after CX declared war on Gao Xing. 

CX's decision to go to war with Gao Xing hurt his relationship with XY, but her engagement with TSJ made her realize that her time with CX was limited, which encouraged her to reconcile with him. Her desire to stay by CX's side for a little longer may have contributed to her decision to focus on completing her medical texts (a task that took 42 years to complete) before setting a wedding date with TSJ. Once she married TSJ, she would have been expected to mainly live in the Tushan Clan leader's primary residence in QQ. 

In chapter 47, when XY realized that CX was responsible for TSJ's death, she felt that, at least up until that point, CX had been her closest person. She declared that she had kept her vow and blamed CX for not doing the same. 

-----

Chapter 26:

When the auspicious hour arrived, amidst trumpets and horns, Zhuan Xu and Shu Hui got married.

Xiao Yao stood with the Xi Ling clan leader to watch the ceremony, one hand tightly clenching Ah Nian. Thankfully she did nothing other than keeping her head down as if she turned into a log.

Seeing Zhuan Xu getting married, Xiao Yao plastered a smile on her face but had no happiness in her heart. They stumbled, they fell, they drifted, they fought, along the way her and Zhuan Xu both grew up and now he was getting married. But this wedding wasn’t what Xiao Yao had envisioned.

In her memories: her Eldest Uncle’s wedding to the Sheng Nong Kingdom’s Princess was a lavish ceremony. She and Zhuan Xu got in a fight, he said a married daughter was like water splashed outside. She remembered later her Fourth Auntie committing suicide, Zhuan Xu’s nightly nightmares, her comfort that she would forever be with him. Zhuan Xu said she would marry one day and leave him, she innocently said that she wouldn’t marry another, she would marry him……

-----

Chapter 30:

The Yellow Emperor said, “It’s time to announce an Empress and allow the Middle Plains to be fully at ease.”

The Yellow Emperor stared at Zhuan Xu and sighed inside his heart before slowly stating, “Of course it can only be Sheng Nong Xing Yue.”

“What are you planning to do?”

“I’m going back to Gao Xing tomorrow.”

Xiao Yao was thrilled. “You don’t want to marry Zhuan Xu anymore? That’s great!”

Ah Nian said, “What are you talking about? I just think it’s not suitable for me to live here anymore. No matter how many wives Zhuan Xu gege takes I can ignore it as unrelated to me. But the Empress is not like the other wives, now Zhi Jin Palace will have a mistress of the house and she won’t welcome me to stay here. I’m still the Gao Xing Princess so even if I can do anything for Zhuan Xu gege I still can’t embarrass Gao Xing.”

Xiao Yao furrowed her eyebrows and stared at Ah Nian wondering what the Yellow Emperor said to her.

Ah Nian said to Xiao Yao “Jiejie, don’t waste your life sleepwalking through each day. You’re not a kid anymore, you need to start thinking about your own future.”

“What? You’re talking about me?” Xiao Yao was caught off guard.

Ah Nian sincerely said “You are listless all day with nothing to do. If it’s just Zhuan Xu gege, Grandfather, and me around then no one will care. But once Xing Yue becomes Empress she will become the mistress of this palace. In the past you were above her but going forward she will be above you. Even her father needs to bow to her when he sees her, much less you’re just a sister-in-law. Once the positions change between people then many things will change. She will look at you differently and treat you differently. She won’t be happy with your casual attitude. You don’t even give the proper respect to the Grand Emperor or the Yellow Emperor, much to an Empress like she will become.”

Xiao Yao conceded. “I really can’t give her the respect to curry favor with her.”

Ah Nian said, “No matter how you treat Dad and Grandfather, they will not mind since they are your family. But Xing Yue will mind, a woman’s heart is small especially someone like Xing Yue who has spent her entire life trying to reach her position in life. Your casual attitude will only lead her to think you don’t give her the proper respect and she’ll start to resent you. How she will deal with you is something I don’t even dare have a clue about.”

Xiao Yao was shocked. “Did Grandfather explain all this to you?”

Ah Nian glared. “Grandfather said a bit but more about life and not specifically about you. I grew up in a palace so I know a lot even if I’ve not yet experienced it. The way I treat Grandfather is exactly that, friendly with a side of buttering him up.”

Xiao Yao thought about it and laughed. “That’s true! So that was you being friendly and buttering him up.”

Ah Nian retorted, “Seeing as how you spoke up on my behalf, I wanted to give you some advice but you’re not taking me seriously! Let me tell you, if you keep being like this then one day you will fall into Xing Yue’s hands! I suggest you come back to Gao Xing with me. On Five Gods Mountain, no one will dare do anything to you!”

Xiao Yao smiled and said nothing. Her dad was on Five Gods Mountain but because her mom divorced her dad and she followed her mom to Cao Yun Peak, she always felt like her Dad, Consort Jing An, and Ah Nian was one complete family unit while she was the outsider. She felt more like family living with the Yellow Emperor and Zhuan Xu.

But Ah Nian was right, Zhuan Xu’s home was about to get its mistress of the house and Xiao Yao’s personality likely wouldn’t win any favors with the new mistress.

She used to think that no matter what happened, her Gege’s home would always be her home. But this day arrived with the truth so sobering, her Gege’s home was his home and she could stay for as long as she wanted but it was living under someone’s roof. She would need to endure the owner’s whims and avoid being disliked.

Ah Nian saw Xiao Yao wasn’t ready to go back and added, “If you don’t like living in Five Gods Mountain and can’t stay in Sheng Nong Mountain, then you only have another path left.”

“What?”

“Get married! Marrying is the only way out for a woman, unless you want to go to Jade Mountain and be the next Royal Mother.” Ah Nian sighed, “But even if you got married it would be a problem. Feng Long lives in Zhi Yi and Zhuan Xu gege might even give him a residence on Sheng Nong Mountain. He’s very sociable and is the Chi Sui clan leader and you are his wife so you need to know how to socialize. But you…..you’re socially awkward and don’t know how to even dress. Now people are already mocking you behind your back about how much embarrassing situations will arise in the future. If you don’t get on the good side of the Empress, who knows how the days will be like for you down the road……Sigh!”

Xiao Yao said, “You stop it, I’m already despondent and if you keep talking then I’ll feel like my life is such an utter failure without any hope left.”

Ah Nian burst out giggling. “I was feeling miserable but seeing you like this makes me feel like I’m not as bad off as you.”

Xiao Yao stood up. “Get some sleep! Tomorrow I’ll go back to Five Gods Mountain with you.

“Eh? Why?”

“What do you mean why? I need to interact less with Xing Yue to maintain our past friendship. If we live in the same palace and ignore each other, the past friendly feelings will get wiped away and I’ll start to get on her nerves. Best leave as soon as I can!”

Ah Nian smiled. “So you were listening to what I said earlier.”

“You have more experience than me in terms of being a woman in the palace. I ought to listen to you more.

Ah Nian nodded. “That’s more like it.”

Xiao Yao left Ah Nian’s residence and thought that she ought to say goodbye to Zhuan Xu tonight if she was leaving tomorrow. But she didn’t even know which of his wive’s residences he was in right now.

Xiao Yao smiled wistfully, it really wasn’t the same as before! She couldn’t go find her Gege anytime she wanted.

Xiao Yao sighed, time to go back! It doesn’t matter when she said her farewells, tonight or tomorrow, if she was leaving anyway.

Xiao Yao returned to her residence and laid down on her pallet but couldn’t sleep. When she lost Jing she felt that she still had Zhuan Xu and no matter what happened she would never lose him.

But tonight she felt for the first time that she was gradually losing Zhuan Xu.

Years ago they held hands and walked up Cao Yun Peak, facing adversity that did not defeat them or make them give up on each other. But now they reached the end, there were so many things and people gradually forming between them that it naturally split them apart.

It wasn’t that one wanted to leave the other or the other stop caring, it was life being so merciless and unwittingly leading them to this point.

Xiao Yao felt her heart constricting tightly so she sat up and took deep breaths. It started with being sleepless but over time she seemed to have developed a heart problem. She knew Xiang Liu was being bothered by her right now.

All these years in the deep dark of the night, when she was at her most painful to endure moments, knowing someone was experiencing the same feeling made her feel she wasn’t alone. It made her feel like he was right there keeping her company and it comforted her a lot.

In the poison packages she sent him, she wrote in a letter apologizing for disturbing him and reminding him to go to Jiu Li with her when he had time. But Xiang Liu never replied and Xiao Yao didn’t dare mention it a second time.

Xiao Yao clutched her heart and slowly laid back down. After laying for a long time, she slowly fell asleep.

Xiao Yao said with a smile to Zhuan Xu and the Yellow Emperor, “I haven’t been back to see Dad in a long time so I plan to go with Ah Nian.”

The Yellow Emperor said, “It’ll be good to go back and see your Dad.”

Zhuan Xu asked, “When will you be coming back?”

Xiao Yao was taken aback, when will she be coming back? She really didn’t think about it! Not like before when she knew she would be coming back to Zhuan Xu so she didn’t take much with her when she left. This time she subconsciously knew she wasn’t planning to come back so she told Shan Hu to pack everything.

Xiao Yao smiled. “Haven’t decided when to come back, let me spend some time with my Dad before deciding.”

Zhuan Xu said, “If you don’t come back, I will go to Five Gods Mountain to get you.” And then he walked off in big fast strides.

A month and a half later, the Xuan Yuan Emperor Zhuan Xu married the direct descendant of the Sheng Nong royal family Sheng Nong Xing Yue as his Empress.

With half the vast wilderness celebrating the marriage of the Xuan Yuan Emperor and Empress, even Gao Xing was affected. The songs being sung in the tea houses are all celebrating the marriage and everyone who heard it was happy except for Xiao Yao and Ah Nian.

Xiao Yao started to really understand what Ah Nian said, the Empress was not like the other women. In the past it didn’t matter who Zhuan Xu married, Xiao Yao didn’t feel anything. She saw Ah Nian and Xing Yue tussling but it didn’t involve her because she would always be Zhuan Xu’s little sister no matter who he married. But this time she really felt Zhuan Xu belonged to someone else, even if she was his little sister she couldn’t be by his side anymore. From now on, it was Xing Yue who would be happy when he was happy and sad when he was sad. Xiao Yao couldn’t lay under the moonlight with him chatting or when she got sick he couldn’t sleep in the outside room all night keeping her company.

Xiao Yao had no choice but to admit that Xing Yue stole the person she was closest with.

Xiao Yao told her dad she didn’t want to live on Five Gods Mountain anymore but he wouldn’t let her leave. The father-daughter fight ended in a compromise, Xiao Yao left Cheng En Court and went to Ying Province Island.

In the past Xiao Yao was always in ready-to-fight mode as she earnestly learned her poisons and practiced her archery. After losing Jing and seeing Zhuan Xu ascend the throne, she had nothing left to lose and nothing left to protect. Xiao Yao deflated entirely and gave up her archery and didn’t study poisons other than to make poisons for Xiang Liu.

She had a lot of free time now and to pass the time she opened a medical clinic on the island. 

This type of ordinary life went on day after day until Xiao Yao forgot how much time passed. Then the person sent by Zhuan Xu arrived to fetch her and she realized thirteen months had passed. But she didn’t want to go back. In the past she accompanied him because the road was dangerous and no one else would walk with him but her.

Now he was the ruler of a kingdom with the bravest men following him and the most beautiful women by his side. His grand ambitions were slowly taking shape. And she was tired and wanted to live only this ordinary life and didn’t want to face the ups and downs that affected countless lives.

Xiao Yao wrote a letter and had the servant bring it to Zhuan Xu. She waited a few days and saw Zhuan Xu had no response and took that as his consent for her not to go back. She let out a sigh of relief and went back to living her boring life.

Xiao Yao pressed down on her bleeding finger. “Why are you here? Are you crazy?”

“Let me see it.”

Xiao Yao handed her hand to Zhuan Xu and said, “I’m fine! You’re the one in danger!”

Zhuan Xu used his handkerchief and water to clean the wound and then took out pills which he crushed over the wound and the blood stopped. Xiao Yao asked “Who knows you’re here?”

“If you leave with me right now, not many people will know. If you don’t leave with me right now, I don’t know who will find out. Maybe…..the entire vast wilderness!”

“You…..are you threatening me? Are you using my worry for your safety?” Xiao Yao asked in disbelief.

Zhuan Xu raised an eyebrow and thought about what she said before replying “Yes, I am putting myself in danger to pressure you.”

Xiao Yao finally couldn’t take it anymore and asked “Are you really doing this?”

Zhuan Xu said “Do you think I traveled thousands of miles to Five Gods Mountain to come play around with you?”

Xiao Yao knew she had to be ruthless to win but she couldn’t play around with Zhuan Xu’s personal safety so she tossed in the towel and angrily said, “I’ll go with you! But you remember that I didn’t go willingly!”

Zhuan Xu walked into the wood hut and saw Xiao Yao laying on the pallet flipping through geography books. He asked “Why the sudden interest in that?”

“I learned that the earth can grow herbs to heal and can also add to wisdom and introduce new things.”

Zhuan Xu laughed “I’ll order all such books collected here for you to read that you can’t even get to all of them for your entire life.”

Xiao Yao pouted “You’re such a bastard!”

She put down on her book and turned over “I’m going to bed.”

Zhuan Xu closed her seashell night light but didn’t leave and squatted down next to her pallet “Are you still angry at me?”

“Gege, you don’t need me anymore.”

“You’re wrong, now I only don’t need your help anymore. In the past I was your Gege but relied on you, from now on you can rely on me.” Zhuan Xu grabbed Xiao Yao’s hand “Whatever Master can give you, I can give you. You can live on Five Gods Mountain but you can also live on Sheng Nong Mountain.”

Xiao Yao smiled and decided to satisfy the dreams of a man who finally accomplished his goal.

She said, “Fine, I’ll stay but just to be clear, if I cause you headaches and embarrassment then don’t blame me.”

Xiao Yao didn’t have any social graces or learned arts and the scene in Sheng Nong Mountain and Zhi Yi Castle was getting more and more complicated as was the people around Zhuan Xu.

He smiled, “I’m waiting for that day to arrive.”

-----

Chapter 31:

Zhuan Xu said, “I don’t want you to get married!” His hand was cold and his fingers were shaking.

Xiao Yao patted his hand. “I understand.”

“You don’t understand!” Zhuan Xu’s eyes were trained on his feet and his eyes were filled with abject sorrow and despair.

Xiao Yao said, “I understand! Years ago when you married Xing Yue, I also felt very upset, like she was taking you away from me, that we would be like outsiders from then on.

Zhuan Xu looked up and stared at Xiao Yao. “You were upset when I got married?”

Xiao Yao laughed at herself and nodded, “I really felt so awful back then, so angry like something that was mine was being stolen by another. Later I realized I was being petty. You’ve been married to Xing Yue for three years but you’re still my Gege. You didn’t get stolen by Xing Yue. Later when I marry Feng Long, you’ll still be my closest, most trusted person.”

But he didn’t want just that, he wanted more…… Zhuan Xu could only smile as his heart fell. Xiao Yao didn’t want anything and only asked for her man to have only her. He no longer had the right anymore.

Xiao Yao watched Zhuan Xu disappear into the clouds and asked the Yellow Emperor, “Do Zhuan Xu and Feng Long have a conflict I don’t know about?”

The Yellow Emperor smiled. “A liege and his subordinate will always help each other but at the same time be wary of each other.”

Xiao Yao wanted to say more but the Yellow Emperor added, “Nothing to worry about, Feng Long is a smart man and he will plan what’s best for him but will never cross the line with his liege. But people have tempers so if Zhuan Xu needs him then he also needs to give him some leeway. As the ruler Zhuan Xu needs to have this magnitude.”

Xiao Yao sighed, “After the wedding I think it best if I go to Chi Sui Castle. It would be too complicated to stay here!”

The Yellow Emperor smiled and then sighed. Feng Long really was the man most suited for Xiao Yao. He can’t give her deep passion but he can give her a calm, uneventful life.

The Yellow Emperor walked off but then turned back to see Xiao Yao sitting beside the window staring into the dark night in a daze. He coughed lightly and Xiao Yao appeared to wake from a trance. “Grandfather, you haven’t gone to sleep?”

The Yellow Emperor suddenly said, “I asked Zhuan Xu to find any way possible to get Nine Lives Xiang Liu to turn his allegiance to us.”

Xiao Yao bolted upright and stared at the Yellow Emperor.

The Yellow Emperor said, “All these years, using any method, any persuasion, any means available, he turned it all down.”

Xiao Yao looked back out into the dark distance and her face showed no emotion, no joy and no sorrow.

“Zhuan Xu ordered that two peaks in Sheng Nong Mountain be designated as off-limits and he has his own personal soldiers guarding it. You ought to know why he did that. Even though Xiang Liu saved your life, you don’t owe him anything.”

----

Chapter 38:

The Yellow Emperor asked Xiao Yao for her thoughts about the wedding date.

Xiao Yao glanced out the window at the busy doctors and said, “I want to have more progress on the medical text first before setting a wedding date.”

The Yellow Emperor reminded her, “That will take more than two or three years. Are you sure?”

Xiao Yao nodded. “The Sheng Nong Herb Manual has been in my possession for the last four hundred years and saved my life countless times. I’ve never done anything for it or better said that I want to do something for the Flame Emperor who sacrificed his life to write it. The text that he used his entire life to write, I don’t want it to be used by doctors simply to make money or gain fame.”

That night Zhuan Xu came to Xiao Yue Peak and heard Xiao Yao’s decision on the wedding date and smiled. “That works.”

Likely due to the engagement with Jing, Xiao Yao realized that her time on Xiao Yue Peak with Zhuan Xu was finite rather than forever. With the battle between Xuan Yuan and Gao Xing taking on losses for both sides but Xiao Yao didn’t personally know anyone who died and she didn’t find out the details of the war, she felt it so far removed from her so she stopped avoiding Zhuan Xu.

The two of them resumed their old ways hanging out. Every night Zhuan Xu would come and chat happily with Xiao Yao as they hung out.

solarlunareclipse:
My thinking here is if it would be possible for one host to fall out of love with the other host, but still fake being in love with the other host, so as not to trigger feelings of heartbreak and trigger retaliation from the bugs. Along the same lines, would it be possible for both hosts to grow apart and fall out of love with each other, but not trigger feelings of heartbreak and betrayal, thereby not causing the bugs to retaliate. In my eyes, the answer to both questions is no.

You're thinking of this in a general sense for any couple hosting a pair of Lovers Bugs (and not specifically in relation to YaoLiu) I guess, since YaoLiu mostly tried to hide their feelings from each other?

AH :
"要么同心而生,要么离心而死" seems a bit more nebulous. I think falling out of love would probably qualify for 要么离心而死. But I'm not sure what the full range of things might be that would be caught by 同心 vs. 离心. And I feel like we the readers can't really know with certainty. We can only speculate about what might or might not be covered by each concept. 

solarlunareclipse:
I think that the hosts must remain in love with each other in order for the bugs not to retaliate. Thus, I think the couple being in love is a separate and necessary condition, apart from neither host feeling heartbroken, in order to keep the bugs from retaliating.

I think we're on the same page here, more or less. 

solarlunareclipse:
Another interesting description of the bugs is:

"它能让有情人心意相通、命脉相连" - They can let lovers connect their emotions and link their lives together.

I wonder to what extent we can interpret  "心意相通" to mean that the minds of the hosts are somehow connected. This condition may make it impossible for hosts to try to fool each other under normal circumstances (unless you happen to be XL).

In the book, there seems to be a multiple instances where YaoLiu was able to communicate via the bug connection, including:

• XL telling XY that the shell was not tasty after they planted the bugs
  • XL telling XY not to give up during the plum forest assassination
  • XY signaling to XL through the bugs that she wanted to see him at Cang Xuan’s wedding
  • XL telling XY not to look at his demon form when he was saving her from the vortex
  • XL smiling when XY thought about him taking her to the flower demon shop on the ship with Left Ear
  • XY telling XL that she wanted to see him at the gourd-shaped lake when she went to avenge Feng Long’s assassination

The connection allows the hosts to call to each other, to speak to each other mind-to-mind, and to feel eachother's pain, heartache, and other physical sensations, but I don't think it lets the hosts read each other's thoughts. If it did, XL wouldn't have needed to ask his four questions in Chapter 32 (and, IMO, it would also be super creepy). 

solarlunareclipse:
XL telling XY that the shell was not tasty after they planted the bugs

I don't think XL directly read WXL's thoughts here. I think he just read WXL's expression and body language and knew her well enough to correctly guess what she was thinking and comment accordingly. 

Kanunu8Chat GPT
Koala
海底的世界竟然比陆地上更色彩斑斓,各种各样颜色的鱼,各种各样稀奇古怪的动物。小六好奇地东看西看,相柳也不催他。

神族喜欢用水母和明珠做灯,小六见过很多次水母做的宫灯,却是第一次看到活的水母。它身体晶莹透明,曼妙的弧度,真是天然的灯罩,不把它做成灯都对不住它的长相。

巨大的海螺,红紫蓝三色交杂,像是一座绚丽的宝塔。小六忍不住敲了敲螺壳,琢磨着螺肉是什么味道。相柳的声音在耳畔响起,“不好吃。”

The underwater world was even more colorful than the land, with variously colored fish and strange, peculiar animals. Xiao Liu looked around curiously, and Xiangliu did not hurry him.

The gods liked to use jellyfish and pearls as lamps. Xiao Liu had seen many palace lamps made of jellyfish, but it was the first time he had seen a living jellyfish. Its body was crystal clear with graceful curves, truly a natural lampshade that would be a shame not to turn into a lamp.

There was a giant conch, a mix of red, purple, and blue, like a splendid pagoda. Xiao Liu couldn’t resist tapping on the shell, wondering what the conch meat tasted like. Xiangliu's voice sounded in his ear, "Not tasty."

The bottom of the ocean was more colorful than on land, with fish of any shape and color and lots of strange creatures. Xiao Liu stared at everything with wonder and Xiang Liu did not rush him along. The Gods loved to use pearls and jellyfish to make lamps so Xiao Liu saw many of those in the palace but it was the first time she saw a living jellyfish. Its body was clear and it was fluid, like a natural lantern. It would be an insult to it not to make it into a lamp.

A huge sea conch with a brilliant hued shell, Xiao Liu tapped it wondering what its meat tasted like and Xiang Liu said, “It’s not tasty.”

solarlunareclipse:
XY signaling to XL through the bugs that she wanted to see him at Cang Xuan’s wedding

If we're thinking of the same scene in chapter 26, I personally don't think XY used the bugs to signal to XL that she wanted to see him in this scene.

Chapter 26 is the first time XY sees XL/FFB face-to-face since he told her that she had graduated from being his archery student and since she realized that XL might be able to feel all of her heartache, which seemed to give her mixed emotions so that she felt both comforted and uncomfortably exposed. 

Earlier in chapter 26, XL used his control over the bugs / bug connection to speed up XY's heartbeat to dispell her extremely painful heartache. Later in the chapter, XY spotted FFB and tried to control the bugs (similar to how XL controlled the bugs earlier), but failed. When FFB looked over at XY, she wanted to leave and yet found herself unable to move. I believe she was caught between feeling exposed and embarassed that XL might be able to feel her heartache (on the one hand) and feeling curious and wanting to ask XL about whether he felt all of her heartache to the same extent that she felt it (on the other hand). 

Kanunu8Chat GPT
Koala
小夭看着水漏,默默计算着时辰,马上就是要吉辰了,此时,璟应该已经和意映站在喜堂中。

水漏中的水一滴滴落下,每一滴都好似毒药,落到了小夭心上,腐蚀得她的心千疮百孔。小夭知道自己不该想,却如着了魔一般,盯着水漏,一边算时间,一边想着璟现在该行什么礼了。

涂山府肯定张灯结彩,十分热闹!

璟一身吉服,和意映并肩而战。

礼官高声唱和:一拜天地!

璟和意映徐徐拜倒……意映如愿以偿,肯定心花怒放,可璟呢?璟是什么表情……

小夭突然觉得心一阵急跳,跳得她几乎喘不过气来,跳得眼前的幻象全部散开。

颛顼问道:“你不舒服吗?”

小夭摇头,“没有!只是有点气闷,突然想呼吸点新鲜空气。”

小夭匆匆出了殿门,颛顼忙拿了大氅,裹到小夭身上,小夭站在庭院内,仰望着蓝天,为什么相柳突然让她感受到他的存在?他是感受到了她的痛苦,还是因为他此时正在青丘,亲眼看着璟和意映行礼,想到了她不会好受?他是在嘲笑她,还是想安慰她?

颛顼问:“你在想什么?”

小夭说:“我突然想起种给相柳的蛊,我身体的痛,他都要承受,那我心上的痛呢?他也需要承受吗?他说他是九命之躯,我身体的痛对他而言不算什么,可心呢?心他只有一颗吧!”

颛顼按住小夭的肩膀,严肃地说:“我不管你之前在清水镇和他有什么交往,但不要和相柳走近!”

小夭苦涩地说:“我明白!”

颛顼说:“虽然你一再说那蛊没有害处,但等你病好后,再仔细想想,如果能解除,最好解除了。”

“嗯!”

小夭仰望着蓝天,静静感受着自己的心在和另一颗心一起跳动,那些强压着的痛苦,也许因为有了一个人分担,似乎不再那么难以承受。

小夭的病渐渐好了,她又开始做毒药。

Xiaoyao watched the water clock, silently calculating the time. It was almost the auspicious hour; by now, Jing and Yiying should already be standing in the wedding hall.

The water in the clock dripped steadily, each drop feeling like poison, corroding Xiaoyao's heart until it was riddled with holes. She knew she shouldn't think about it, yet she was like someone possessed, staring at the water clock, calculating the time and imagining what ceremony Jing was performing now.

The Tushan mansion must be brightly lit and bustling with excitement!

Jing, dressed in festive attire, stood beside Yiying.

The ceremonial officer would call out loudly: "First bow to heaven and earth!"

Jing and Yiying would bow slowly... Yiying would be overjoyed, but what about Jing? What expression did Jing have...

Suddenly, Xiaoyao's heart began to race, making it hard for her to breathe, scattering all the visions in front of her.

Zhuan Xu asked, "Are you feeling unwell?"

Xiaoyao shook her head, "No! Just a bit stuffy, suddenly wanted some fresh air."

She hurried out of the hall, and Zhuan Xu quickly grabbed a cloak, wrapping it around her. Standing in the courtyard, looking up at the blue sky, she wondered why Xiangliu suddenly made her feel his presence. Did he sense her pain, or was he at Qingqiu, watching Jing and Yiying's ceremony, thinking she wouldn't feel good? Was he mocking her or trying to comfort her?

Zhuan Xu asked, "What are you thinking about?"

Xiaoyao replied, "I suddenly thought of the Gu I planted in Xiangliu. He has to endure the physical pain I feel, but what about the pain in my heart? Does he have to endure that too? He said he has the body of nine lives, so my physical pain isn't much to him, but what about his heart? He only has one heart, right!"

Zhuan Xu placed his hands on Xiaoyao's shoulders and said seriously, "I don't care what dealings you had with him in Qingshui Town, but don't get close to Xiangliu!"

Xiaoyao replied bitterly, "I understand!"

Zhuan Xu said, "Although you keep saying that Gu is harmless, think it over carefully once you recover. If it can be removed, it's best to remove it."

"Alright!"

Xiaoyao looked up at the blue sky, quietly feeling her heart beat in sync with another heart. The pain she had been suppressing seemed a bit easier to bear now that someone else was sharing it.

Xiaoyao's health gradually improved, and she resumed making poisons.

Xiao Yao stared at the water clock and the minute hand was getting closer to the time of the wedding. Right now Jing and Yi Yang must be standing in the ceremonial hall. The water dropped one by one and each drop was like a poison dropping on Xiao Yao’s heart. It pierced her through into hundreds and thousands of pockmarks. Xiao Yao knew she shouldn’t think about it but it was like she was possessed and she stared at the water clock thinking of when Jing would say his vows.

The Tu Shan residence must be decked out and bustling with activity.

Jing wearing a groom outfit, standing side-by-side with Yi Yang.

The officiant calling out as Jing and Yi Yang started to go through the wedding rites. Yi Yang got her wish come true and she must be thrilled, but what about Jing? What was his expression….

Xiao Yao suddenly felt her heart beating wildly and was so unexpected she couldn’t catch her breath and it banished all the images in her mind.

Zhuan Xu asked, “Are you feeling sick?”

Xiao Yao shook her head. “No! But a bit stuffy and suddenly want some fresh air.”

Xiao Yao rushed out the door and Zhuan Xu hurriedly draped a fur cloak around her. Xiao Yao stood in the courtyard staring up at the blue sky. Why did Xiang Liu suddenly make her feel his presence? Did he feel her pain? Or was it because he was currently in Qing Qiu watching Yi Yang and Jing get married and remembered she might not be happy about it? Was he mocking her? Or trying to console her?

Zhuan Xu asked, “What are you thinking about?”

Xiao Yao said, “I suddenly remembered the voodoo bug I planted in Xiang Liu. My body’s pain, he has to feel all of it. But what about my heartache? Does he also need to endure it? He said he has nine bodies so my pain isn’t too much for him to endure. But what about the heart? He only has one heart!”

Zhuan Xu grabbed Xiao Yao by the shoulders and harshly said “I don’t care what your relationship with him was in Qing Shui Town. Do not remain close to him now!”

Xiao Yao smiled bitterly. “I know!”

Zhuan Xu said “Even though you keep saying the bug has no ill effects, when you’re all better it’s best to find a way to remove it.”

“Yes!”

Xiao Yao stared at the blue sky and quietly felt her heart beating as one with another heart. The pressure and pain on her heart lessened, probably because another heart was taking some of the burden from her.

Xiao Yao got better and she started making poisons again.

小夭已一年多没见过璟,看到他这样子,小夭保持着微笑,静静地站在西陵族长身后。还记得归墟海中,他扯落发冠时,她的心悸情动,也记得耳鬓厮磨时,她指间绕着他的发,一头青丝、满心情思。一切就好似昨日,却已是青丝染霜,情思断裂。

小夭只觉心如被一只大手撕扯着,痛得好似就要碎裂,她却依旧笑意盈盈。突然,她的心剧烈地跳动起来,小夭再维持不住微笑,这就好像一个人能面不改色地忍受刀剑刺入的疼痛,却无法在剧烈运动之后,控制自己的脸色和呼吸。小夭不禁抚着自己的心口,深吸了几口气。

馨悦忙扶住她,担心地问:“你没事吧?”

小夭强笑着摇摇头,西陵族长看她面色发红,忙说:“我忘记你身体不好了,赶紧坐下休息一会儿。”

馨悦扶着小夭坐在了璟的坐席上。

璟焦灼地一手握住小夭的手腕,一手握着酒杯,化酒为雾。众人都知道涂山氏的障术可惑人五感,用来止疼最是便捷,所以都没觉得奇怪。

心依旧在剧烈地跳着,跳得她全身的血都好似往头部涌,小夭忍不住喃喃说:“相柳,你有完没完?”

其他人只隐约听到完没完,璟离得最近,又十分熟悉小夭的语声,将一句话听了个十分清楚。

心跳慢慢恢复了正常,小夭轻轻挣脱了璟的手:“谢谢,我好了。”

Xiao Yao hadn't seen Jing for over a year. Seeing him like this, she maintained a smile and stood quietly behind the leader of the Xiling clan. She remembered how, in the Guixu Sea, her heart had fluttered when he pulled off his hair crown, and she remembered the times they spent together, her fingers entangled in his hair, a head full of black hair and a heart full of feelings. It all seemed like yesterday, yet now his black hair was streaked with frost, and their feelings had been severed.

Xiao Yao felt as if a giant hand was tearing at her heart, the pain almost shattering it, but she continued to smile brightly. Suddenly, her heart began to pound violently. She could no longer maintain her smile; it was like someone who could endure the pain of a sword piercing without changing their expression, but couldn't control their face and breathing after intense exertion. Xiao Yao couldn't help but press her hand to her chest, taking several deep breaths.

Xinyue quickly supported her, asking worriedly, "Are you okay?"

Xiao Yao forced a smile and shook her head. The leader of the Xiling clan, noticing her flushed face, said hurriedly, "I forgot about your health condition. Sit down and rest for a while."

Xinyue helped Xiao Yao to Jing's seat.

Jing anxiously grasped Xiao Yao's wrist with one hand while holding a wine cup with the other, transforming the wine into mist. Everyone knew that the art of illusion from the Tushan clan could deceive the five senses, making it the most convenient for pain relief, so no one found it strange.

Her heart still pounded violently, making her blood seem to rush to her head. Xiao Yao couldn't help but mutter, "Xiang Liu, will you ever stop?"

The others only vaguely heard the words "ever stop," but Jing, being the closest and very familiar with Xiao Yao's voice, heard the entire sentence clearly.

Her heartbeat gradually returned to normal. Xiao Yao gently withdrew her hand from Jing's. "Thank you, I'm fine now."

Xiao Yao hadn’t seen Jing in over a year and seeing him like this, Xiao Yao maintained her smile and quietly stood next to the Xi Ling clan leader. She remembered in the ocean when he let his hair loose, the stirring in her heart. She remembered twining his hair around her fingers, each strand was a longing. Everything felt like yesterday but it was already black hair turned white and all longing severed.

Xiao Yao felt her heart was being clawed at by a large hand, so painful it was like being ripped apart. She could only keep smiling when suddenly she felt her heart violently beating. Xiao Yao couldn’t maintain her fake smile anymore, much like a person could endure severe pain without any change in expression yet couldn’t control exhibiting bodily reaction to intense exercise. Xiao Yao clutched her chest and took a few deep breaths.

Xing Yue hurriedly assisted her and asked in concern, “Are you okay?”

Xiao Yao smiled and shook her head. The Xi Ling clan leader saw her face flushed bright red and quickly said “I remember your constitution is not strong, hurry and sit down to rest.”

Xing Yue helped Xiao Yao to sit down at Jing’s table.

Jing anxiously put one hand on Xiao Yao’s wrist while his other clutched the wine cup and transformed the wine into a fog. Everyone knew the Tu Shan clan had the power to mystify which was very useful for taking away pain. No one thought it weird what Jing was doing.

Her heart continued to beat wildly and strongly, so much that she felt like all her blood was rushing into her head. Xiao Yao couldn’t control it and muttered under her breath, “Xiang Liu, will you cut it out already?”

Everyone only heard “cut it out already”, but Jing was sitting closest to her and he was completely familiar with Xiao Yao’s voice, so he heard every word she said.

Her heartbeat started to return to normal and Xiao Yao gently pulled her hand away from Jing, “Thank you, I’m fine now.”
西陵族长道:“我待会儿要出去和老朋友们喝几杯,叙叙旧,你也别陪着我这个老头子了,自己找朋友玩去。”

小夭知道他们老头子的叙旧肯定别有内容,说不定表舅舅想帮颛顼再拉拢些人,应道:“好,舅舅有事时差遣婢女找我就行。”

小夭看着蓐收在给阿念灌酒,明白蓐收又在打鬼主意,打过有他打鬼主意,她倒乐得轻松,笑对蓐收拱手谢谢,蓐收笑着眨眨眼睛。

小夭叮咛海棠:“待会儿王姬醉了,你就带她回紫金宫去睡觉。”

海棠答应了,小夭才放心离开。

小夭贴着墙,低着头,悄悄走过众人的坐席。

走到外面,轻舒了口气。

一阵喝彩声传来,小夭随意扫了一眼,却眼角跳了跳,停下脚步,凝神看去。只看案上摆了一溜酒碗,一群年轻人正斗酒取乐,防风邶穿着一袭白色锦袍,懒洋洋地笑着。

小夭驱策体内的蛊,却没有丝毫反应,小夭气绝,这到底是她养的蛊,还是相柳养的蛊?相柳能控制她,她却完全无法控制相柳!难道蛊都懂得欺软怕硬?

防风邶看向小夭,小夭想离开,却又迟迟没有动。

防风邶提着酒壶,向小夭走来。

小夭转身,不疾不徐地走着,防风邶随在她身旁,喧闹声渐渐消失在他们身后。

The chief of the Xiling clan said, "I’ll be going out later to have a few drinks and catch up with old friends. You don’t need to accompany this old man; go find your own friends to hang out with."

Xiaoyao knew their "catching up" would certainly have some special content. Perhaps her uncle wanted to help Zhuan Xu gather more support. She replied, "Alright, Uncle. If you need me, just have a maid find me."

Xiaoyao saw Ru Shou pouring wine for Anian, understanding that Ru Shou was up to his usual tricks. Since he was occupied, she felt relaxed. She smiled and gave a polite bow to Ru Shou in thanks, and he winked back with a smile.

Xiaoyao instructed Haitang, "When the princess gets drunk later, take her back to the Purple Gold Palace to sleep."

Haitang agreed, and only then did Xiaoyao feel at ease to leave.

Xiaoyao walked along the wall, head down, quietly passing by the guests' seats.

Once outside, she let out a small sigh of relief.

A cheer erupted, and Xiaoyao glanced over casually. Her heart skipped a beat, and she stopped to focus on the scene. She saw a row of wine bowls on the table, with a group of young people drinking and having fun. Fengfeng Bei, dressed in a white brocade robe, was lounging lazily, smiling.

Xiaoyao tried to command the Gu inside her body, but there was no response. Frustrated, she wondered if this was her Gu or Xiangliu's. Xiangliu could control her, but she couldn't control him at all! Did even Gu insects know to bully the weak and fear the strong?

Fengfeng Bei looked at Xiaoyao, and although she wanted to leave, she didn't move.

Fengfeng Bei, holding a wine jug, walked towards Xiaoyao.

Xiaoyao turned around and walked away at a steady pace, with Fengfeng Bei following beside her. The noise gradually faded behind them.

The Xi Ling clan leader said, “I’m going to drink with some old friends to catch up. You don’t need to keep an old fogey like me company, go play with your friends.”

Xiao Yao knew the elders would drink and discuss matters, perhaps her Uncle would try to get more supporters behind Zhuan Xu. She said “Okay, if Uncle you need anything then just have a maid come get me.”

Xiao Yao saw Ru So pouring Ah Nian wine and knew what he was trying to do. She felt relieved and smiled at Ru So in thanks and saw him smile back in understanding.

Xiao Yao reminded Hai Tang, “When the Princess is drunk, you take her back to Zhi Jin Court to sleep.”

Hai Tang agreed and Xiao Yao left without any worry.

Xiao Yao walked along the wall with her head lowered as she passed the other guest tables.

The sound of loud cheers reached her and Xiao Yao glanced over and her eyebrows jumped and she stopped her footsteps. She stared at a table with a bowl in the middle and lots of young men were drinking and making merry. Fang Feng Bei, wearing a white embroidered robe, was standing there with a lazy smile.

Xiao Yao felt the voodoo bug in her body but got no response. Xiao Yao gave up, was she the one who raised the bug or was it Xiang Liu? Xiang Liu could control her but she couldn’t control Xiang Liu at all! Could it be that even voodoo bugs know how to fear the strong and sneer at the weak?

Fang Feng Bei glanced over at Xiao Yao and she wanted to leave but stood there and didn’t move for the longest time.

Fang Feng Bei finally picked up a jug of wine and walked over to Xiao Yao.

Xiao Yao turned and slowly walked while Fang Feng Bei followed behind her, gradually the sound of voices and noises faded behind them.

“我心里的难受,你都有感觉?”小夭脸色发红,说不清是羞是恼。心之所以被深藏在身体内,就是因为人心里的情感,不管是伤心还是欢喜,都是一种很私密的感觉。可现在,她的心在相柳面前变得赤裸裸,她觉得自己像是脱了衣服,在任凭相柳浏览。

相柳轻声笑起来:“你要是怕什么都被我感觉到,就别自己瞎折腾自己,你别心痛,我也好过一些。”

小夭听到他后半句话,立即精神一振,问道:“我身体上九分的疼痛,到你身上只有一分,可我心上的疼痛,是不是我有几分,你就有几分?”

相柳坦率地说:“是!你心有几分痛,我心就有几分痛,那又如何?难道你打算用这个对付我?”

小夭颓然,是啊!肉体的疼痛可以自己刺伤自己,但,伤心和开心却做不得假。

"Can you feel the pain in my heart?" Xiaoyao's face turned red, unsure if it was from embarrassment or annoyance. The heart is buried deep within the body because the emotions within, whether sorrow or joy, are very private. But now, her heart felt laid bare in front of Xiangliu, making her feel as if she were undressed and exposed to his gaze.

Xiangliu chuckled softly. "If you're afraid of me sensing everything, then stop tormenting yourself. If your heart doesn't ache, I'll feel better too."

Hearing the latter part of his sentence, Xiaoyao perked up and asked, "The physical pain I feel is only one-tenth for you, but the pain in my heart—if I feel a certain amount, do you feel the same amount?"

Xiangliu replied frankly, "Yes, if your heart feels a certain amount of pain, so does mine. So what? Are you planning to use this against me?"

Xiaoyao slumped in defeat. Yes, physical pain could be inflicted on oneself, but heartbreak and joy couldn't be faked.

“The pain in my heart, do you feel it?” Xiao Yao’s face turned red, not clear if it was over embarrassment or frustration. The reason the heart was tucked deep inside the body was so that people’s feelings, whether it was happiness or sorrow, would remain concealed. But right now her heart felt like it was stark naked before Xiang Liu, like she was stripped naked before him to observe.

Xiang Liu softly chuckled. “If you’re afraid I will feel everything, then stop tormenting yourself. If your heart doesn’t hurt, then I’ll be better off as well.”

Xiao Yao heard the last thing he said and immediately perked up. “If my body hurts 9/10th, then you hurt 1/10th. But if my heart hurts, does your heart hurt just as much?”

Xiang Liu honestly said, “Yes! If your heart hurts, my heart hurts just as much. What of it? Are you planning to use that to reckon with me?”

Xiao Yao was silent. He was right! She could inflict bodily pain on herself, but she couldn’t make happiness or sadness.

solarlunareclipse:
XL smiling when XY thought about him taking her to the flower demon shop on the ship with Left Ear

In this scene, I don't think XL was reading XY's thoughts. IMO, there were several other factors that may have contributed to XL's slight, gentle smile (that made his usually cold face seem a bit warmer) in this scene. 

(1) He might be thinking of how XY said that she missed FFB not long before this moment. As Left Ear said, hearing this would likely make XL/FFB happy, regardless of all the effort XL spent to minimize XY's feelings for him so she wouldn't miss him too much. 

(2) XY encouraged XL to heal over the next few days as they made their way towards land, noting that it would be safe to do so because they wouldn't encounter anyone else for a few days so XL could be vulnerable while he self-healed without worry. This showed, once again, that XY cared about XL and considered both his health and his safety. XY's comment also highlighted the fact that the two of them would be spending several days together - a very rare opportunity for them. 

(3) Thanks to some subtle nudging from XL, XY and Left Ear came to an agreement whereby Left Ear would become XY's bodyguard (meaning that XY would have a competent protector close by her side even on Shengnong Mountain, and that protection would continue even after XL's death) and XY would look after Left Ear's needs, including finding him a wife. That last part caused Left Ear to blush and avoid looking at XY and XL. I'm sure that XL would have been pleased with this outcome for both of them and perhaps he might've also been amused by Left Ear's cute reaction to XY's comment about finding him a wife. Maybe XL even pictured the future that Left Ear and XY would have together, with XY playing matchmaker for Left Ear. Or maybe he had similar thoughts to XY's and pictured what his own life might have been like if he could have been like Left Ear and met XY when he was younger. 

(4) Although I don't think he could read XY's "胡思乱想", I do think XL could probably feel the mixed emotions in XY's heart in this scene as she looked at Left Ear and imagined a young version of XL having a different life where he met her, found his beloved woman, and was able to enjoy life's ordinary pleasures with her the way FFB had once enjoyed life's ordinary pleasures with XY, but without ever having to be concerned about the Shengnong remnant army's fight against Xuan Yuan. And the feelings she had when she then glanced at XL, took in his smile, and stared at him for a while.

Kanunu8Chat GPT
Koala
“以前和你在一起的那位公子呢?你叫他‘邶’。”左耳在奴隶死斗场里见过好几次邶,可邶都是狗头人身,左耳并不知道邶的真正长相。

小夭下意识的看向相柳,相柳也恰看向她,两人的目光一触,小夭立即回避,小夭对左耳说:“他死了。”

左耳冷漠的眼睛内流露出伤感,在他的心里,邶不仅仅是他的同类,还是指引他重生的老师。很多次重伤倒下,觉得再没一点希望时,看到邶坐在看台下,静静地看着他,虽然什么也没说,可邶的存在,本身就差传递着温暖和希望,他总能再一次站起。左耳对小夭的感激和亲近,不仅仅因为小夭给予了他一个拥抱和一袋钱,还因为小夭和邶的关系,小夭接受他的同类,是他同类的朋友。

左耳问:“你会想念他吗?”

小夭轻轻叹了口气,没有回答。

左耳非常固执,盯着小夭,又问了一遍:“他不在了,你会想念他吗?”

小夭道:“会!”

左耳笑了,对小夭说:“他会很开心!”

小夭盯着相柳说:“你不是他,你怎么知道他会不会在乎别人的想念?他根本不在乎!”

左耳面容严肃,明明不善言辩,却激动地说:“我知道!我们从来都不怕死,我们什么都不怕!可我们怕黑!如果我死了,有一个人会想念我。”左耳手握成拳头,用力的砸了砸自己的心口,“这里就不会黑了,很明亮!很开心!”

小夭问相柳:“他说的对吗?”

相柳似笑非笑地看着小夭,轻佻地问:“难道你竟然想相信?我完全不介意!”

“我疯了,才会相信!”小夭哈哈大笑,用夸张的声音和动作打破了古怪的气氛,她对左耳说:“你会开船吗?会开的话,送我们回陆地吧!”

“会开。”左耳扯起帆,掌着舵,向着陆地的方向驶去,

小夭走到相柳身旁,说道:“至少要四五天才能看到陆地,海上就我们这一艘船,很安全,你正好可以养伤。”

相柳眺望着大海,沉默不语。

小夭以为他拒绝了时,听到他说:“也好。”

"Where is the young master who used to be with you? You called him 'Bei'." Left Ear had seen Bei several times in the slave fighting arena, but Bei had always appeared with a dog head and human body. Left Ear didn't know Bei's true appearance.

Xiao Yao instinctively glanced at Xiang Liu, who happened to be looking at her too. Their gazes met, and Xiao Yao quickly looked away. She said to Left Ear, "He is dead."

The cold eyes of Left Ear showed a hint of sadness. In his heart, Bei was not just a fellow fighter but also a teacher who guided him toward rebirth. Many times, when Left Ear was seriously injured and felt hopeless, he would see Bei sitting silently in the audience, watching him. Even though Bei never said anything, his presence alone conveyed warmth and hope, enabling Left Ear to stand up again. Left Ear's gratitude and closeness to Xiao Yao were not just because she gave him a hug and a bag of money but also because of her connection to Bei. Xiao Yao accepted his kind, and she was a friend of his friend.

Left Ear asked, "Do you miss him?"

Xiao Yao sighed lightly and did not answer.

Left Ear was very persistent. He stared at Xiao Yao and asked again, "Now that he's gone, do you miss him?"

Xiao Yao replied, "Yes!"

Left Ear smiled and said to Xiao Yao, "He would be very happy!"

Xiao Yao stared at Xiang Liu and said, "You are not him. How do you know if he cares about being missed? He didn't care at all!"

Left Ear's face turned serious. Though not good at debating, he said excitedly, "I know! We are never afraid of death, we fear nothing! But we are afraid of the dark! If I die, knowing that someone will miss me," Left Ear clenched his fist and pounded his chest, "it won't be dark here. It will be bright and happy!"

Xiao Yao asked Xiang Liu, "Is he right?"

Xiang Liu looked at Xiao Yao with a half-smile and teasingly asked, "Do you actually want to believe that? I don't mind at all!"

"I would be crazy to believe it!" Xiao Yao laughed loudly, using exaggerated voice and gestures to break the strange atmosphere. She said to Left Ear, "Can you sail a boat? If so, take us back to the mainland!"

"I can sail." Left Ear raised the sail and steered the boat toward the mainland.

Xiao Yao walked to Xiang Liu's side and said, "It will take at least four or five days to see the mainland. We are safe with just this one boat on the sea. You can take the time to heal."

Xiang Liu gazed at the sea in silence.

Just as Xiao Yao thought he was refusing, she heard him say, "Alright."

“What about the man who was with you before? You called him Bei.” Left Ear saw Bei many times in the slave death match arena, but he was always wearing a dog face mask so Left Ear didn’t know what Bei looked like.

Xiao Yao looked at Xiang Liu just as he glanced at her and the two’s eyes met. Xiao Yao immediately looked away and said to Left Ear, “He died.”

Left Ear’s normally dispassionate eyes turned sad. In his heart, Bei wasn’t just someone who experienced the same fate as him, he was also Left Ear’s teacher that guided him to be reborn. Many times when Left Ear collapsed from a severe injury, feeling like not a shred of hope was left, he would see Bei silently sitting in the audience staring at him. He never said anything, but Bei’s presence was enough to convey warmth and hope to Left Ear. It gave him strength to stand back up one more time. Left Ear’s gratitude to Xiao Yao wasn’t just because she hugged him and gave him a sack of money, it was also because of Xiao Yao and Bei’s relationship. Because Xiao Yao accepted his own species, because she was friends with his own species.

Left Ear asked, “Do you miss him?”

Xiao Yao sighed and didn’t answer.

Left Ear was persistent and stared at Xiao Yao to ask again, “He’s not here anymore. Do you miss him?”

Xiao Yao cried out, “Yes!”

Left Ear smiled. “That will make him very happy.”

Xiao Yao stared at Xiang Liu as she said to Left Ear, “You’re not him. How do you know whether he cares that someone misses him? He totally wouldn’t care.”

Left Ear’s expression was dead serious, and he normally spoke so little and cared not to explain anything, but now he was very agitated and said, “I know! We slaves are never scared of death! We’re not scared of anything, other than being scared of the dark! If I died and someone missed me.” Left Ear used his fist to hit his chest. “Then it wouldn’t be dark here, it would be very bright and very happy!”

Xiao Yao asked Xiang Liu, “Is what he’s saying true?”

Xiang Liu smirked at Xiao Yao and teased, “You actually want to believe that? I totally don’t care!”

“I must be crazy then, to have believed it!” Xiao Yao laughed heartily and used that exaggerated gesture to snap the tenuous mood between them. She said to Left Ear, “Can you steer the ship? If you can, then let’s sail the ship back to land.”

“I can.” Left Ear raised the sails and took the wheel to turn the ship towards land.

Xiao Yao walked over to Xiang Liu. “It’s another four or five days until we reach land. We’re the only ship in the ocean here. It’s very safe, so you can heal.”

Xiang Liu looked out at the ocean and remained silent. Xiao Yao thought he was turning her down when she heard, “Fine.”
相柳指了指在认真驾船的左耳:“回到陆地后,你打算拿他怎么办?让他继续四处流浪,去做廉价杀手?日子长了,他要么变成真正的浑蛋,要么被人杀了。”

左耳的耳朵很灵,听见了相柳的话,不满地反驳:“我能吃饱饭!”

小夭笑看着左耳:“你能为信天翁妖干活,也能为我干活吧?我也能让你吃饱。”

左耳很爽愉地说:“好,我帮你杀人。”

小夭觉得额头有冷汗滴落,干笑道:“我不是请你做杀手!”

“我只会杀人。”左耳的神情很平静,眼睛中却流露出悲伤和茫然,从记事起,他就是奴隶,唯一会的技能就是杀人。

小夭收起了嬉笑的表情,静静想了一会儿,很认真地说:“我请你做我的侍卫。平时不需要你杀人,但如果有人来杀我,我要帮我杀了他们可以吗?”

左耳盯着小夭,似乎在思索小夭到底是真需要人保护,还是在怜悯他。

小夭说:“我不是怜悯施合,是真的需要。你也亲眼看到了,有人要杀我。我没有自己的侍卫,苗莆是颛顼赐给我的,她还打不过你。你很厉害,如果你愿意保护我,其实是我占大便宜了。”

左耳的眼睛变得亮闪闪的,洋溢着开心,他说:“我愿意!我愿意做你的侍卫!”

小夭道:“那就说定了,以后你保护我,我负责你有饭吃,有衣穿,还会帮你讨个媳妇。”

左耳苍白的脸颊竟然慢慢地变红了,他紧抿着唇,专心致志的驾船,不好意思看小夭和相柳。

小夭微笑着,温柔地看着他,心中有着说不清,道不明的滋味。多很多年前,相柳是不是也是这样子?看似狡诈凶狠,却又质朴简单,如果那个时候,她能遇见相柳,是不是相柳也可以找到一个心爱的女子?他会带着她一起去花妖的店铺里买香露,一起去找藏在深巷里的食铺子……小天下意识地去看相柳,相柳侧身而立,望着海天深处,唇畔含着一丝温和的笑意。因为唇角这个浅浅的弧度,他完美的侧脸脸不再冰冷无情,有了一点烟火气。

小夭怔怔看了一会儿,收回目光,也将各种胡思乱想都收好。

Xiangliu pointed at Zuoe'er, who was seriously steering the boat, and asked, "When we return to land, what do you plan to do with him? Let him continue wandering around as a cheap assassin? After a while, he’ll either turn into a real scoundrel or get himself killed."

Zuoe'er, with his keen hearing, caught Xiangliu's words and retorted indignantly, "I can earn my meals!"

Xiaoyao smiled at Zuoe'er, "If you can work for the Albatross demon, you can work for me too, right? I can also make sure you’re well-fed."

Zuoe'er cheerfully replied, "Alright, I’ll help you kill people."

Xiaoyao felt a cold sweat forming on her forehead and laughed awkwardly, "I’m not asking you to be a killer!"

"That’s all I know," Zuoe'er said calmly, though his eyes showed sadness and confusion. From as far back as he could remember, he had been a slave, and his only skill was killing.

Xiaoyao put away her playful expression, thought for a moment, and then said seriously, "I’m asking you to be my guard. Normally, you won’t need to kill, but if someone comes to kill me, will you help me kill them?"

Zuoe'er stared at Xiaoyao, as if trying to discern whether she truly needed protection or was just pitying him.

Xiaoyao said, "I’m not pitying you, Zuoe'er. I genuinely need help. You saw it with your own eyes—someone wants to kill me. I don't have personal guards; Miaopu was given to me by Zhuanxu, and she’s not as strong as you. You’re very skilled. If you’re willing to protect me, I’d actually be getting the better end of the deal."

Zuoe'er's eyes lit up with happiness as he said, "I’m willing! I’m willing to be your guard!"

Xiaoyao said, "Then it's settled. From now on, you protect me, and I’ll ensure you have food, clothes, and help you find a wife."

Zuoe'er's pale cheeks gradually turned red. He pursed his lips and focused intently on steering the boat, too shy to look at Xiaoyao and Xiangliu.

Xiaoyao smiled warmly, looking at him with a mix of emotions. Many years ago, was Xiangliu the same? Seemingly cunning and fierce, yet also simple and sincere. If she had met Xiangliu back then, could he have found a beloved woman? Would he have taken her to buy perfume from the flower demon’s shop, or to hidden food stalls in the alleys... Xiaoyao instinctively glanced at Xiangliu. He stood to the side, gazing into the distant horizon, with a gentle smile on his lips. Because of that slight curve of his lips, his perfect profile no longer seemed cold and heartless; it had a touch of warmth.

Xiaoyao stared for a while, then looked away, tucking away her wild thoughts.

Xiang Liu pointed at the earnestly-steering-the-ship Left Ear. “What are you going to do with him when you reach land? Let him continue to roam and be a cut rate killer for hire? What happens if he does it long and turns into a real bad guy, or gets killed by someone else?”

Left Ear heard what Xiang Liu said and grumbled. “I can feed myself!”

Xiao Yao smiled at Left Ear. “You can work for the seagull demon then you can also work for me. I can feed you!”

Left Ear happily said, “Fine, I’ll kill people for you.”

Xiao Yao shuddered and said with a wry laugh, “I’m not hiring you to kill people!”

“I only know how to kill people.” Left Ear was very calm but his eyes betrayed his sadness. From when he had a memory, he was a slave and his only ability was to kill people.

Xiao Yao stopped teasing and solemnly said, “I want you to be my bodyguard, normally you don’t need to kill people but if someone tries to kill me then you kill them to protect me, okay?”

Left Ear stared at Xiao Yao, trying to decide if she really needed protection or was just pitying him.

Xiao Yao said, “I’m not pitying you. I really need protection. You saw yourself that someone wants to kill me. I don’t have my own bodyguard, and Miao Pu was assigned to me by Zhuan Xu, but she can’t even beat you. You’re really powerful. If you agree to protect me, then I’m the one who is getting the better end of the bargain.”

Left Ear’s eyes lit up and he happily said, “I will! I will be your bodyguard!”

Xiao Yao said, “Then it’s set. In the future you will protect me and I will ensure you have food to eat and clothes to wear, and I’ll find you a wife.”

Left Ear’s pale face blushed slowly so he focused on steering the ship and avoided looking at Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu.

Xiao Yao smiled and looked at Left Ear, feeling this hard to grasp feeling inside. Many years ago, was Xiang Liu just like this? Appearing dangerous and deadly, but actually simple and straightforward. If she could have met Xiang Liu back then, could he have found the woman he loved? Would he take her to buy perfumes at the flower demon shops? Go eat at hard to find restaurants in little alleys… Xiao Yao glanced at Xiang Liu but he was standing with his profile to her, looking at the ocean with a small warm smile on his lips. Because of the angle, his smile made his face no longer cold, but instead splashed with a sliver of warmth.

Xiao Yao stared for a while before looking away so that she could sort out all the jumbled feelings in her heart.

This is out of the blue, but I just wanted to mention one thing.

In Chinese mythology and society, calling someone a "fox spirit (狐狸精)" is a common insult used for those (usually a woman) who have no self-respect and sexually manipulates men to get what they want.

I don't know if Tonghua had this in mind while writing TSJ's character. But an interesting coincidence, even if it were not deliberate...

Rain_83223:

In Chinese mythology and society, calling someone a "fox spirit (狐狸精)" is a common insult used for those (usually a woman) who have no self-respect and sexually manipulates men to get what they want.

I don't know if Tonghua had this in mind while writing TSJ's character. But an interesting coincidence, even if it were not deliberate...

Jing is written like a female fox troupe, where they are submissive and say yes to the object of thier desire, and mold thier own existence to that desire.  Shshsh...don't let them jingers know about this...they might cry bloody mary, and died from the truth.

AH :
You're thinking of this in a general sense for any couple hosting a pair of Lovers Bugs (and not specifically in relation to YaoLiu) I guess, since YaoLiu mostly tried to hide their feelings from each other?

Yes, I'm thinking about any couple hosting a pair of Lovers Bugs in general, not specifically YaoLiu. In any case, I think Xiang Liu is an exception in being able to successfully hide his feelings from Xiao Yao through controlling the signals transmitted through the Lovers Bugs. I don't think Xiao Yao, or most normal humans, demons, or deities could hide their feelings from the other host.

AH :
The connection allows the hosts to call to each other, to speak to each other mind-to-mind, and to feel eachother's pain, heartache, and other physical sensations, but I don't think it lets the hosts read each other's thoughts. If it did, XL wouldn't have needed to ask his four questions in Chapter 32 (and, IMO, it would also be super creepy). 

I pretty much agree with this. I do think that while the Lovers Bugs don't grant the hosts the psychic ability to read each other's thoughts, they do grant the hosts clairsentience into each other's emotions. That is, unless one of the hosts is powerful enough to block emotional transmission like XL. Being in tune with each other's emotions, combined with the knowledge of past shared experiences, will certainly help a host in being able to make an educated guess as to what the other host is thinking.

solarlunareclipse:
XL telling XY that the shell was not tasty after they planted the bugs
 AH :
I don't think XL directly read WXL's thoughts here. I think he just read WXL's expression and body language and knew her well enough to correctly guess what she was thinking and comment accordingly. 

I agree with this interpretation.

solarlunareclipse:
XY signaling to XL through the bugs that she wanted to see him at Cang Xuan’s wedding
 AH :
If we're thinking of the same scene in chapter 26, I personally don't think XY used the bugs to signal to XL that she wanted to see him in this scene.
 AH :
Later in the chapter, XY spotted FFB and tried to control the bugs (similar to how XL controlled the bugs earlier), but failed.

My interpretation is that Xiao Yao thought she failed to control the bug inside her body, but actually succeeded. This is why FFB looked at her after she tried to control the bug. This could by why in Chapter 46, Xiao Yao knows she can use the bug to signal to Xiang Liu to come meet her.

小夭驱策体内的蛊,却没有丝毫反应,小夭气绝,这到底是她养的蛊,还是相柳养的蛊?相柳能控制她,她却完全无法控制相柳!难道蛊都懂得欺软怕硬?

防风邶看向小夭,小夭想离开,却又迟迟没有动。
Xiao Yao tried to control the bug inside her body but got no reaction at all. Xiao Yao was in despair—was this worm she raised, or was it Xiang Liu’s? Xiang Liu could control her, but she is completely unable to control Xiang Liu! Could it be that the worm knows how to bully the weak and fear the strong?

Fang Feng Bei looked at Xiao Yao. Xiao Yao wanted to leave but hesitated to move.

-- Vol 2 Ch 9 (Chapter 26)

solarlunareclipse:
XL smiling when XY thought about him taking her to the flower demon shop on the ship with Left Ear
 AH :
Although I don't think he could read XY's "胡思乱想", I do think XL could probably feel the mixed emotions in XY's heart in this scene as she looked at Left Ear and imagined a young version of XL having a different life where he met her, found his beloved woman, and was able to enjoy life's ordinary pleasures with her the way FFB had once enjoyed life's ordinary pleasures with XY, but without ever having to be concerned about the Shengnong remnant army's fight against Xuan Yuan. And the feelings she had when she then glanced at XL, took in his smile, and stared at him for a while.

More impressive Chinglish! I agree Xiang Liu probably couldn’t exactly read Xiao Yao's thoughts, but he could make an educated guess about what was causing her mixed emotions. He might deduce that she was likely reflecting on what life might have been like if she had saved him, especially since she had previously expressed a wish to be the one to save him after Left Ear gained his freedom.

AH :
15 hours ago
 solarlunareclipse:

In this scene, I don't think XL was reading XY's thoughts. IMO, there were several other factors that may have contributed to XL's slight, gentle smile (that made his usually cold face seem a bit warmer) in this scene. 

With regard to this event, I have the same view as solarlunareclipse. One of the key characteristics of the bug is "心意 相通". The word "心意 " has many meaning such as inner intention/regard/wish/thought, kind feelings.  The bug allowed him to connect and communicate with her mind.  I don't think that he smiled or relaxed his face because she was forced to say she missed Bei, or she told him to remain in the boat with her to heal (so that he could have time with her). Keep in mind the the bug did not turn into heart-broken bug which showed her feeling and emotion ("love") did not changed despite her pain of losing Jing.
And I think what made him smile is her simple thought about changing one's fate and love

AH :
Many years ago, was Xiangliu the same? Seemingly cunning and fierce, yet also simple and sincere. If she had met Xiangliu back then, could he have found a beloved woman? Would he have taken her to buy perfume from the flower demon’s shop, or to hidden food stalls in the alleys...

XY just simply thought if she could have met him then, she would have rescued him, let him to be "Bei" - a free Xiang Liu, then he would have a free life, finding his love and all he would do with that woman is actually what he had done with her. She, ironically did not realized his love or she admitted that he at least once loved her. 

Rain_83223:

Tong Hua is too deliberate and careful of a writer, especially with all the layers of the book, NOT to have been aware and specifically chosen this for Jing, especially given the 'hidden lines' in the novel.  That quote that liddi translated about the 1000 Masks Opera, where the Tushan's character is described as sly and greedy.  The 8 Tailed Fox being the one who caged and tortured and depowered XY for 30 years.  Doing practically the same to FFYY.  Dying for 'love,' like CX's mother.  Abandoning his kid.  There's a clear line of untrustworthiness both in Jing and his parallels, but some people flatly refuse to see it.

plor20:

Jing is written like a female fox troupe, where they are submissive and say yes to the object of thier desire, and mold thier own existence to that desire.  Shshsh...don't let them jingers know about this...they might cry bloody mary, and died from the truth.

Like XY, they will deny the obvious.

Thank you for pointing out another reason for the female coding of Jing.

@Kokuto

Yeah that's what I'm thinking exactly.

Like I mentioned I am late to the party here. I'm just slowly reading through all the old pages of discussions. I definitely realize that TongHua is too deliberate with all the subtleties to have glaringly neglected that part.

I actually wonder what TongHua's reaction would be if she saw this discussion thread. Would she be smiling ear to ear seeing how a group of people has been obsessed with her work for over a year, assiduously figuring out every detail and every subtlety that she put in? I don't think she ever expected most readers to pay attention to these things, much less from an international audience whose primary language isn't Chinese.

Rain_83223:

@Kokuto

Yeah that's what I'm thinking exactly.

Like I mentioned I am late to the party here. I'm just slowly reading through all the old pages of discussions. I definitely realize that TongHua is too deliberate with all the subtleties to have glaringly neglected that part.

I actually wonder what TongHua's reaction would be if she saw this discussion thread. Would she be smiling ear to ear seeing how a group of people has been obsessed with her work for over a year, assiduously figuring out every detail and every subtlety that she put in? I don't think she ever expected most readers to pay attention to these things, much less from an international audience whose primary language isn't Chinese.

I think she might be surprised there was an international audience interested in discussing and dissecting LYF the novel for a year.  Or perhaps the drama.  But her Chinese book readers have been talking about the book for much, much, much longer.

I wonder if she'll get back to writing novels again?  Especially historical ones.

@Kokuto

Well, who knows...She seems to be working as a screenwriter now.

But maybe right now she's thinking long and hard about how to give XY and XL the happily ever after ending in the afterlife. But that's just me daydreaming.

Rain_83223:

@Kokuto

Well, who knows...She seems to be working as a screenwriter now.

But maybe right now she's thinking long and hard about how to give XY and XL the happily ever after ending in the afterlife. But that's just me daydreaming.

A Tong Hua book with a happy ending???

Oh no!  Asian Dad is back!  And he's lecturing Xiang Liu before the battle.  lol  I truly have no idea what he's saying here, but I'm betting it has something to do with TALKING to XY and saving a life for her.

https://x.com/DUODUOSUB/status/1821448184100802881

Kokuto:

Oh no!  Asian Dad is back!  And he's lecturing Xiang Liu before the battle.  lol  I truly have no idea what he's saying here, but I'm betting it has something to do with TALKING to XY and saving a life for her.

https://x.com/DUODUOSUB/status/1821448184100802881

This is what he said. However I disagree with him lecturing Xiang Liu as if Xiang Liu is acting like love is his whole life and not just a part of it, because that is not true. It is exactly because he understands that he has other very real responsibilities and cannot be with Xiao Yao for his whole life, that he did everything he could to give her what he personally could not:

I hear that you have nine heads, and all of them are lovestruck brains. It's overly irrational. You clearly have nine lives, but not even one was lived for yourself. Hiding your own love, pretending that all your sacrifices are transactions, and even worrying so much for your love rival. Aren't you tired? Love is only a part of life, not its entirety. I hope that in your next life, you would meet Xiao Yao sooner, and be able to be together with Xiao Yao for a long time 长相厮守 (cháng xiāng sī shǒu), not eternally longing for each other 长相思 (cháng xiāng sī) .