@H19279

"The only loophole of the bugs is when XY had feeling for other man (Jing). Why is there no consequence? I try to figure a logical answer for that? I don't care if her feeling for Jing is romatic or plantonic love, I believe there is a strong feeling between her and Jing. "

Either it's platonic or romantic does matter a lot, otherwise it would have been game over from the start, not because of Jing, but because of CX. 

@windiaaa041293

I agree with what you've posted, to me it makes sense. 

H19279:
Does the bug still allow multiple love on the host?

I certainly think so. I think the only requirement in terms of love is that the hosts must have love in their hearts for each other. If the hosts also love other people, that doesn't seem to be a problem as long as it doesn't eliminate the love between the hosts. 

In the 100+ years where the bug is in XY, she has love in her heart for XL, CX, TSJ, the Grand Emperor and probably also to some degree for the Yellow Emperor and Ah Nian. And maybe even Miao Pu and Left Ear. After all, worrying about Miao Pu (and not XL or CX) is what made XY decide to fight to live in chapter 43. I believe XY's love for TSJ was romantic, and I think it's possible that there was a point where her love for CX might have been semi-romantic. That doesn't seem to have caused any problems in the novel. But the scene they added in the drama (where the bugs glow and cause XL's heart to be in pain when he watches TSJ carry XY out of the ocean after their "not suitable to appear in a young girl's dreams" conversation) seems to indicate that things might be different in the drama.

Over the same 100+ year period, I believe that XL had romantic love in his heart for XY and platonic love in his heart for Gong Gong and, to an extent, his brothers in arms. 

-----

Also, one (semi-related) thing that has bothered me before that I wouldn't mind getting other opinions on: do you guys think that XL really slept around when he was FFB before meeting XY? And what about after meeting and falling for XY? Like the first scene where XY sees him as FFB, do you think he slept with the woman he left with?

FFB

FFB's male companion

The pretty dancer that FFB left with

-----

Chapter 15:

Zhuan Xu nodded and Xiao Yao headed out where she saw a dancer performing in the center of the great hall. Xiao Yao stood at the railing and looked down with a smile. The Xuan Yuan dance halls had male and female guests, though still mostly men, but some women wearing men’s attire. Xiao Yao was dressed like a girl and wearing a veiled hat so garnered a lot of attention. She didn’t care, they could look at her while she looked at the beauties.

The dancer was performing and her undulations make her tiny waist oh so touchable and many men tried to reach but were not able to. Two men walked in through a curtained doorway and one man grabbed the dancer and felt up her waist before tossing her into the arms of the other man. “Let this little waist spend the night with you.”

The dancers at the dance halls were performers and not prostitutes so the dancer was pissed, but the second she saw the man’s face her face turned red and she docilely followed the man upstairs. The man laughed and put his arms around her to lead her up the stairs and Xiao Yao felt the man looked familiar. Due to the angle and the curtains, she didn’t get a good look at his face until he was on the second floor and Xiao Yao saw his face fully. Her heart thundered and her mouth gaped open – he looked just like Xiang Liu! But he was wearing fine clothes and his hair was pitch black, and there was mirth in his eyes that was nothing like the normally icy cold Xiang Liu.

Xiao Yao stared at him while he swept a glance over her and didn’t even pause. The other man smiled at her and asked, “Little lady, you look nice. Spend tonight with me?”

Another girl grabbed him and coyly said, “This lady is a customer. Young master please don’t put us in a bind.”

The man left with the pretty girl while Jin Xuan opened the door and told Xiao Yao to come in.

Zhuan Xu and Xiao Yao left the dance hall the back way and wandered around the city a bit, having dinner at a famous restaurant before getting on the cloud carriage back to Xuan Yuan Mountain.

On Cao Yun Peak, Xiao Yao sat on the swing while Zhuan Xu leaned against a tree. She kept wondering, was that Xiang Liu or not Xiang Liu?

@AH

"do you guys think that XL really slept around when he was FFB before meeting XY?" 

Yes

And what about after meeting and falling for XY? Like the first scene where XY sees him as FFB, do you think he slept with the woman he left with?

Not sure, but I am inclined to say yes. 

AH :
Also, one (semi-related) thing that has bothered me before that I wouldn't mind getting other opinions on: do you guys think that XL really slept around when he was FFB before meeting XY? And what about after meeting and falling for XY? Like the first scene where XY sees him as FFB, do you think he slept with the woman he left with?

OH NOES, this reminds me of a very funny Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CDrama/comments/15kuvt3/i_am_positive_xiangliu_is_a_600_yo_virgin_lost/

This comment though: "Ok here is the problem. Before he becomes a human shape, he was a snake. So he might have had sex with other snakes. Does that count ?"

I really don't want to be thinking about snakes and Xiang Liu and FFB all in the same sentence.

Ok, bye, let me go before things get worse.

H19279:
Does the bug still allow multiple love on the host? Then it's strange. Because when girl wanted to plant it to her lover, both wanted that they were loyal in love for each other till the end

In the novel, the Voodoo King never describes the Lover's Bugs as a means for the cultivator to ensure her lover's loyalty. That's only something that Old Man Li Rong mentions in episode 12 of the drama ("Mostly women raise them for their lovers, hoping for eternal and loyal love."). 

In the novel, the benefit of the Lovers' Bugs is that they can be used to save your loved one's life. But the downside is that they can also end up killing both hosts. 

-----

Chapter 37:

“To outsiders voodoo is considered mysterious and bad, but really it's a craft and magic that the Jiu Li tribe has passed down through generations to protect and heal us. Jiu Li has lots of deadly insects, deadly plants, deadly gasses, to live here our ancestors had to learn to understand it and control it. Voodoo is seen as a harmful power but we actually mostly use it here to save lives. The Lover’s Bug keeps two people’s lives connected, which means when one is injured as long as the other is healthy then the injured person will survive. This is a very good thing. Even if the Lover’s Bug is notoriously hard to grow, it ought to still be relatively prevalent since many people will try to grow it. So why it is so rare to see?”

Xiao Yao asked, “Why?”

All living things that have a benefit must also carry a harm. The greater the benefit then the greater the potential for harm. The Lover’s Bug is exactly that. It can lead two people to be connected in life and emotions but it is just like a pair of lovers in love with each other. It is tempermental and hard to control. If the Lover’s Bugs turn on each other then both people will die. Which is why the Lover’s Bug also has another name: the Heartbreak Bug.”

Jing stared in dismay at Xiao Yao who quickly said, “It can’t be as scary as he makes it out to be. It’s been over seventy years and I’m still just fine.”

The Voodoo King’s expression changed as he stared at Jing, “You’re not the man the other bug is planted in?”

“No.”

The Voodoo King stared in shock at Xiao Yao “Can I feel the bug in you?”

Xiao Yao nodded.

The Voodoo King didn’t move so he was likely using a bug inside of himself to sense. He furrowed his brows and murmured “It really is a Lover’s Bug! But how is this possible? ‘Lovers who raise the bug produce the Lover’s Bug, Not Lovers who raise the bug produce the Heartbreak Bug.’ The Lover’s Bug is different then other voodoo bugs and absolutely requires the couple to willingly accept the bug for it to be successfully planted. If the man you successfully planted the other bug in is not your lover, then how did you plant it in him?”

Xiao Yao said “You might not know as much as your ancestors, the bug could be more multi-facted and evolving in ways beyond your understanding.”

The Voodoo King was still perplexed. But it was clear that the young man sitting beside Xiao Yao was clearly her beloved so the rest of what he wanted to say wasn’t suitable for discussing at this time. He smoothed things over “Miss you are likely right, the bug inside of you is different than other bugs. Likely Miss and the other man have very unique bodily compositions.”

Xiao Yao inwardly sighed in relief “He is very unique!” Since the bug was planted, only Xiang Liu could sense her but she could never sense him.

Jing anxiously asked “How to break the spell?”

The Voodoo King’s face scrunched up. “The Lover’s Bug – either live in love or die in heartbreak. Once the Lover’s Bug has been planted there is no way to break the spell. It is impossible. This is what I was trying to say earlier for why so few people raise it despite the great benefit. Only very determined girls would raise the bug but even if they successfully raise it, it’s near impossible to find a man willing to accept the other bug to be planted in him.”

Jing was stunned and after a moment of silence he slowly asked, “What happens if one person who has the Lover’s Bug dies? What happens to the other person?”

The Voodoo King sighed. “Our Jiu Li folk ballad sings ‘The twisted roots of the parasol tree entwine on land, the doves do not fly alone in the sky, the pair of mandarin ducks in the water always die together.'

blabla100:

@AH

"do you guys think that XL really slept around when he was FFB before meeting XY?" 

Yes

And what about after meeting and falling for XY? Like the first scene where XY sees him as FFB, do you think he slept with the woman he left with?

I don't love it and I don't want to think about it too much, but when I do think about it I end up with pretty much exactly this conclusion. 

nathsketch:
OH NOES, this reminds me of a very funny Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CDrama/comments/15kuvt3/i_am_positive_xiangliu_is_a_600_yo_virgin_lost/

"Xiangliu had never encountered anyone can talk to him like that."

Lol. OP is clearly not taking into account the 400+ years that XL spent as FFB, including the 100+ years he spent as FFB before even joining the remnant army. 

nathsketch:
This comment though: "Ok here is the problem. Before he becomes a human shape, he was a snake. So he might have had sex with other snakes. Does that count ?"

I really don't want to be thinking about snakes and Xiang Liu and FFB all in the same sentence.

Ok, bye, let me go before things get worse.

Yeah no. Not something that needs to be thought about.

The Voodoo King’s expression changed as he stared at Jing, “You’re not the man the other bug is planted in?”

“No.”

The Voodoo King stared in shock at Xiao Yao “Can I feel the bug in you?”

Xiao Yao nodded.

The Voodoo King didn’t move so he was likely using a bug inside of himself to sense. He furrowed his brows and murmured “It really is a Lover’s Bug! But how is this possible? ‘Lovers who raise the bug produce the Lover’s Bug, Not Lovers who raise the bug produce the Heartbreak Bug.’ The Lover’s Bug is different then other voodoo bugs and absolutely requires the couple to willingly accept the bug for it to be successfully planted. If the man you successfully planted the other bug in is not your lover, then how did you plant it in him?”

If the bugs allow multiple romantic loves on the host, than why was the Voodoo king shocked when he found out that Jing wasn't the one who had the other bug? 

blabla100:
@AH

Yes

The place is a kind of meeting, entertaining (with dancing) center. People came there for relaxing, watching dancing or meeting to discuss business. Spending the night with you may mean she could dance invidually, serving food/wine. Later, when FFB and XY had archery session, they went to this kind of place for resting at noon/afternoon. If it is a brothel, I don't think FFB and XY came there for resting . FFB once told XY that he had business at night but nothing to do during day, So he got bored. So, maybe he had real business discussion at night in such places (as CX)

Zhuan Xu nodded and Xiao Yao headed out where she saw a dancer performing in the center of the great hall. Xiao Yao stood at the railing and looked down with a smile. The Xuan Yuan dance halls had male and female guests, though still mostly men, but some women wearing men’s attire. Xiao Yao was dressed like a girl and wearing a veiled hat so garnered a lot of attention. She didn’t care, they could look at her while she looked at the beauties.

The dancer was performing and her undulations make her tiny waist oh so touchable and many men tried to reach but were not able to to. Two men walked in through a curtained doorway and one man grabbed the dancer and felt up her waist before tossing her into the arms of the other man “Let this little waist spend the night with you.”

The dancers at the dance halls were performers and not prostitutes so the dancer was pissed, but the second she saw the man’s face her face turned red and she docilely followed the man upstairs. The man laughed and put his arms around her to lead her up the stairs and Xiao Yao felt the man looked familiar. Due to the angle and the curtains, she didn’t get a good look at his face until he was on the second floor and Xiao Yao saw his face fully. Her heart thundered and her mouth gaped open – he looked just like Xiang Liu! But he was wearing fine clothes and his hair was pitch black, and there was mirth in his eyes that was nothing like the normally icy cold Xiang Liu.

AH :
In the 100+ years where the bug is in XY, she has love in her heart for XL, CX, TSJ, the Grand Emperor and probably also to some degree for the Yellow Emperor and Ah Nian. And maybe even Miao Pu and Left Ear.

Since the bug is Lovers 's bug, I only concern with male-female relationship that is or develops to lovers. So beside XL, only relationship with Jing can be considered as lover orientation. So, a couple with lovers' bug planted but it still allows each party to have misstress/girlfriend or another boyfriend?

blabla100:
If the bugs allow multiple romantic loves on the host, than why was the Voodoo king shocked when he found out that Jing wasn't the one who had the other bug? 

Because the Voodoo King was under the impression that only a lover / romantic partner would willingly accept the Lovers' Bug. It would be even more extraordinary for a man who was not the cultivator's lover / romantic partner to accept the bug if the cultivator had another man beside her as her lover / romantic partner. 

-----

The Voodoo King didn’t move so he was likely using a bug inside of himself to sense. He furrowed his brows and murmured “It really is a Lover’s Bug! But how is this possible? ‘Lovers who raise the bug produce the Lover’s Bug, Not Lovers who raise the bug produce the Heartbreak Bug.’ The Lover’s Bug is different then other voodoo bugs and absolutely requires the couple to willingly accept the bug for it to be successfully planted. If the man you successfully planted the other bug in is not your lover, then how did you plant it in him?

The Voodoo King’s face scrunched up. “The Lover’s Bug – either live in love or die in heartbreak. Once the Lover’s Bug has been planted there is no way to break the spell. It is impossible. This is what I was trying to say earlier for why so few people raise it despite the great benefit. Only very determined girls would raise the bug but even if they successfully raise it, it’s near impossible to find a man willing to accept the other bug to be planted in him.

@AH

"Because the Voodoo King was under the impression that only a lover / romantic partner would willingly accept the Lovers' Bug." 

I thought about this too, but it still doesn't add up. He îs the Voodoo king after all, he would know better, he would have seen more. Even if let's say I agree to this answer, I still don't see the reason for why he refused to say more. If someone else was ok with willingly accepting the bug, despite not being his lover, why not talk about it? Why end the discussion? 

H19279:
Spending the night with you may mean she could dance invidually, serving food/wine. Later, when FFB and XY had archery session, they went to this kind of place for resting at noon/afternoon. If it is a brothel, I don't think FFB and XY came there for resting

It is not a brothel. The dancer was angry about FFB's companion's words (“Let this little waist spend the night with you.”) because she was a performer, not a prostitute. Then she saw FFB's face, changed her mind (based on the change in her demeanor), and left with FFB. 

The intended implications are pretty clear. I'm just not sure whether XL/FFB really would have followed through. Since XL insists that his FFB persona is not fake, I feel like I have to conclude that he would follow through. 

------

Two men walked in through a curtained doorway and one man grabbed the dancer and felt up her waist before tossing her into the arms of the other man. “Let this little waist spend the night with you.”

The dancers at the dance halls were performers and not prostitutes so the dancer was pissed, but the second she saw the man’s face her face turned red and she docilely followed the man upstairs.

H19279:
Since the bug is Lovers 's bug, I only concern with male-female relationship that is or develops to lovers. So beside XL, only relationship with Jing can be considered as lover orientation. So, a couple with lovers' bug planted but it still allows each party to have misstress/girlfriend or another boyfriend?

A lovers' bug that accounts for the complicated nature of human hearts, where an individual can have genuine romantic feelings for more than one person.

If the love between the hosts remains when one of the hosts also has love for another person (or has physical intimacy with another person), I don't see why the bugs should be affected. If the love for another person caused the love between the hosts to be lost, then the bugs should be affected.

@AH

"A lovers' bug that accounts for the complicated nature of human hearts, where an individual can have genuine romantic feelings for more than one person." 

Either that, either that the bugs allows them to psihically interact with other people, as long as their hearts remains loyal to eachother, as in it's ok to have fun with someonelse, as long as your heart is not romantically involved in it. At this point I am not really sure what to belive. 

Ooh, boy is it getting lively in here ?. Maybe I shouldn't have started that Lovers Bugs discussion again. If Tong Hua can see this thread, she would probably laugh her head off at us analysis/dissecting every words  I'm willing to bet 10 boba teas that she did not think about this topic as thoroughly as we are doing while writing it ?. 

But it keep the thread lively, so that's good.

I'll come back later, real life's calling. 

blabla100:
@AH

"Because the Voodoo King was under the impression that only a lover / romantic partner would willingly accept the Lovers' Bug."

I thought about this too, but it still doesn't add up. He îs the Voodoo king after all, he would know better, he would have seen more.

The Lovers' Bugs are extremely rare. It sounds like the Voodoo King knew of several examples where cultivators successfully raised the bugs but were never able to find someone who willingly accepted the bug. It's very possible that, out of the handful of examples that the Voodoo King knew of where Lovers' Bugs were successfully planted, all of them were planted in lovers / romantic partners. So it would be reasonable for the Voodoo King to conclude that no man who was not in a dedicated romantic relationship with the cultivator (i.e., not part of a couple) would have the necessary love in his heart for the cultivator AND willingly accept the bug. 

And yet XL was not in a dedicated romantic relationship with XY. They are not (and were not) a couple. But XL still met both criteria. He had love in his heart for XY and he willingly accepted the bug, knowing what it was and what that entailed. He's one in a million. Perhaps a total outlier compared to what the Voodoo King had encountered before. 

blabla100:
Even if let's say I agree to this answer, I still don't see the reason for why he refused to say more. If someone else was ok with willingly accepting the bug, despite not being his lover, why not talk about it? Why end the discussion? 

"Hi Mr. Boyfriend of this Lady. Please excuse us while I talk to your girlfriend about the mutual love she shares with another man and how she managed to convince him to willingly and irrevocably tie his life to hers." 

That would be a very awkward conversation. At the very beginning of their conversation with the Voodoo King, XY was already nervous about the bugs being acknowledged as "Lovers' Bugs" in front of TSJ. And she spent most of the conversation trying to comfort him about the bugs. The Voodoo King seems to have enough of an EQ to know when to leave a sensitive subject alone. 

-----

Chapter 37:

The Voodoo King continued, “Se Mai Er mentioned that you wanted to know how to break the Lover’s Bug voodoo spell?”

Xiao Yao quickly glanced at Jing and acted nonchalant. “When I placed the voodoo bug I didn’t know it had such a weird name.”

Jing smiled. “It’s just a name, why are you in a rush to explain?”

Xiao Yao quickly said, “Yes, yes! It’s just a name.”

The Voodoo King coughed once and solemnly explained, “Lover’s Bug, like its name indicates, is a pair of male-female voodoo bugs. The couple who has the bug successfully planted will have their life and emotions connected. If one [feels pain] then the other will [feel pain]. If one [feels anguish] then the other will also [feel anguish].”