nathsketch:

Yes, Kokuto is my darling. She’s really considerate. You both are. Thank you. 

It’s so childish to say this, but it ruins my day when I think about it.

Awwwww.  Back at you and AH!

If it's any consolation, I watched one of the early interviews with TJC, and he says something like, he doesn't think it's a bad or unhappy ending.  It's an ending he chose.   XL fulfilled his mission to both Hong Jiang and XY.  He made XY's future and happiness possible.

I'll have to see if I can find it. It's very reassuring.

Kokuto:

If it's any consolation, I watched one of the early interviews with TJC, and he says something like, he doesn't think it's a bad or unhappy ending.  It's an ending he chose.   XL fulfilled his mission to both Hong Jiang and XY.  He made XY's future and happiness possible.

Ah yes, I remember this! He also says that he prefers tragic endings (I’m not sure if it was during the same interview).

But who cares about what he thinks?! Lol

Who am I kidding? 

It’s all I care about.

nathsketch:

Hey guys, do you remember having a fictional character that made you lose your mind like this? It can be from literature, film, tv show, etc.

I honestly can't remember anything quite like it. 

This might sound cringe and cliche, but I've never felt this way before

Kokuto:

I guess you could say it was a good ending since all he ever wanted was for his beloved to live a good life

exol_evanism:

This might sound cringe and cliche, but I've never felt this way before

Not at all. Not for me, at least. I think more about him on a daily basis then about my own real-life problems lmao 🤣 

nathsketch:

Not at all. Not for me, at least. I think more about him on a daily basis then about my own real-life problems lmao 🤣 

I did, dunno if anyone of you have watched Ice Fantasy, but I was so involved into a side story. Can't actually recommend that drama, because as a whole it wasn't that great, but you have no idea how obsessed I was over 2 character's plot line.  În a way they were kind of similar to XL-XY relationship, perhaps that îs why I like LYF that much. 

https://youtu.be/ETrq1wulRIo?si=m4-toIB5FaqQktld

https://youtu.be/okmtsugMTRM?si=7cEZ7Lndj_FD2JZn

nathsketch:

Ah yes, I remember this! He also says that he prefers tragic endings (I’m not sure if it was during the same interview).

But who cares about what he thinks?! Lol

Who am I kidding? 

It’s all I care about.

He doesn't want his fans to be sad. :)

I think TJC's take on the character is FFB response to XY's comment that he got the crappy end of his deal with the real FFB, when he had to spend all that time taking care of real FFB's sick mother.  He disagreed and felt blessed to have had that experience.  Even though it wasn't for XL himself, at least he got to experience a mother's love.

Likewise, XL never expected to experience love, much less romantic love, and for HIM, not for someone he was pretending to be.   Pain and loneliness are old and expected companions, so it's a small price to pay for all the experiences and joy XY shared with him through the PLB and more importantly, that she gave him directly.  It was an unexpected gift.

Of course, he wanted to love her fully, but given her criteria, that would mean hurting her and leaving her abandoned and alone -- her worst torture and fear.  That wasn't love as he understood it, but selfishness.  Instead he gave her all four things she asked for, content in his experiences, and in leaving her happy.

Basically, we run into the same problem with both characters, XY and XL. We personally don't share their criteria and expectations for love and happiness, which are rooted in trauma -- we think they robbing themselves.  And perhaps they are.  But both characters are content with their endings, which are far more than either expected to have.

That's not to say that I, personally, don't rail at these two every day, and want so very much more for them.  Not to mention all the terrible things I want to do with Invisible Hong Jiang.  ;p

@Kokuto ..

That is so true...about how he felt he got a great deal to experience love from a mother...and he got to experience love from another woman...shows his selfless side...everyone complain how he tortured XY beginning...but they forget XL was tortured so many years...and he is making sacrifice for the army and yet no one appreciates him...what is the use?

We just love his character so much and didn't want him to suffer such a painful death...100K arrows..my goodness...from XL's perspective he left the world the way he wanted to....so thats' why to him its a "happy ending"...to us so tragic as we want something better for our favoriate character

Yes make me so mad...its been hudnreds years these Chenrong rebels should just give up and live ...what use to fight for a lost cause...how I wish Hongjiang realize that stop the war and then could have been a better ending for XL...no need carry such burden.

Actually should we hate CX?   I thought he promised XL that he would give him a mountain side for Chenrong...did CX go against his promise?  

The thing is....XL started liking falling for XY even before he saw her "Beautiful female" face...(I guess TJS also)...unlike CX who seem to lvoe his sister....turned into loving her romantically after seeing how pretty she was....

So in the story XL is supposed to be extermely handsome also...so he kept his "Real face" as FBB?  I guess there were some scenes that he was maskless as XL in front of TSJ....but TSJ didn't recognize him when he was FBB as XL disguised?

Dramadoggy2021:
what use to fight for a lost cause...

Deep sense of Honor I guess :)

Dramadoggy2021:
.turned into loving her romantically after seeing how pretty she was....

CX already since their childhood bond, had deep feelings for her. He is the one who help her; reasure her when she got her female face back. The first to really see her face ...:)

Dramadoggy2021:

The thing is....XL started liking falling for XY even before he saw her "Beautiful female" face...(I guess TJS also)...unlike CX who seem to lvoe his sister....turned into loving her romantically after seeing how pretty she was....

So in the story XL is supposed to be extermely handsome also...so he kept his "Real face" as FBB?  I guess there were some scenes that he was maskless as XL in front of TSJ....but TSJ didn't recognize him when he was FBB as XL disguised?

I think TSJ did recognize XL when he first met him -- which would have been in the street, where XY was feeling his chest and saying their hearts were beating almost as one.

Dramadoggy2021:

TSJ and XL are in business relationship even before the starting point of the drama (supplies for XL army for exemple). So TSJ is quite aware of who FFB is (also in the novel XL does not at all wear a mask, he just use his transformation skills , as shown in the boat scene). 

@Dramadoggy2021

Yes make me so mad...its been hudnreds years these Chenrong rebels should just give up and live ...what use to fight for a lost cause...how I wish Hongjiang realize that stop the war and then could have been a better ending for XL...no need carry such burden.

We all wish bad things for Hong Jiang.  LOL!

Maybe it's in the novel, but in the drama, he hasn't shown up and we don't really know why he continues to fight.  Heck, he might have told XL repeatedly that it wasn't his fight and he should leave the rebel army.  I DOUBT it, since apparently his abilities as a strategist and killing machine are keeping them going, but we don't know.

Symbolika1:

Deep sense of Honor I guess :)

Yes, I think that plays into it, as well as the whole Band of Brothers thing.  I'm going to just paste a reply I made from another topic here with a few alterations.

I think the idea  / philosophy is  that if you fight only for things you can win, it's about gaining a result, like more land or resources.  If you fight for a lost cause, it can only be about principle and sacrifice -- it's a test of heart and soul.  Also, strategically, the war may be lost, but if you can make the winner pay heavily in each battle, you may be able to negotiate better terms.  Not sure if that's exactly what's going in LYF, it may be more about honor.

In Japan, Chūshingura aka 47 Ronin is a popular and enduring story that illustrates some of the motivations of Xiang Liu and the rebel Chenrog army and even Gong Gong (I can't say for sure since we haven't seen in the drama and I haven't read the book).  After their lord was forced to kill himself, under shady circumstances, these samurai retainers, who swore personal loyalty to their lord, don't seek new lords, but endure hardship and wait years before taking revenge and killing the noble responsible for their lord's death, knowing they will die for doing so.  Likewise, because of personal loyalty, because Gong Gong is his lord (or his father), XL has to follow him to death.   The ideal of sacrifice, both for the greater good and for principle carries more weight in Asia than it does in the West, I think.

In modern times the idea of dying for a principle or honor isn't viewed well, for obvious reasons, and it can be seen as selfish.  I mean, they don't talk about what happened to the families of the 47 Ronin.  It was one of the interesting debates of Game of Thrones' first season, with Ed Stark's refusal to compromise and dying.  He kept his honor and died with his principles, but so much of the death and destruction that  happened afterwards could by laid at his feet for this decision.

Kokuto:

I didn't realize she actually called him XL there.  But he seems part FFB and part XL.  It's a bit strange.  I need to watch that clip show again.  I mean, she knows he's XL after that scene where FFB comes to her bedroom to be healed.

Where the characters have multiple names / identities, Tong Hua always seems purposeful about which name she uses to refer to them as the narrator. Earlier in chapter 26, she refers to him as FFB when XY first sees him and when they discuss FFYY's wedding to TSJ, but then she switches to XL when they start discussing the bug and she doesn't switch back. When they head to the ocean, XY asks XL why he hasn't changed his hair and he explains that it's dyed. 

---

The sound of loud cheers reached her and Xiao Yao glanced over and her eyebrows jumped and she stopped her footsteps. She stared at a table with a bowl in the middle and lots of young men were drinking and making merry. Fang Feng Bei, wearing a white embroidered robe, was standing there with a lazy smile.

Xiao Yao felt the voodoo bug in her body but got no response. Xiao Yao gave up, was she the one who raised the bug or was it Xiang Liu? Xiang Liu could control her but she couldn’t control Xiang Liu at all! Could it be that even voodoo bugs know how to fear the strong and sneer at the weak?

Fang Feng Bei glanced over at Xiao Yao and she wanted to leave but stood there and didn’t move for the longest time.

Fang Feng Bei finally picked up a jug of wine and walked over to Xiao Yao.

Xiao Yao turned and slowly walked while Fang Feng Bei followed behind her, gradually the sound of voices and noises faded behind them.

She could smell the cloves from far away and followed the scent until she got to a cluster of clove trees. The flowers were blooming and the purple buds littered the ground.

Xiao Yao sat cross-legged on the ground while Fang Feng Bei leaned against a tree and drank.

Xiao Yao stared at him while he smiled down at her. She said nothing and he appeared to have no intention of speaking either.

Finally Xiao Yao spoke first “Did you attend Jing and Yi Yang’s wedding?”

“I may be irresponsible but I still would manage to attend my little sister’s wedding to the Tu Shan clan leader.”

“The pain in my heart, do you feel it?” Xiao Yao’s face turned red, not clear if it was over embarrassment or frustration. The reason the heart was tucked deep inside the body was so that people’s feelings, whether it was happiness or sorrow, would remain concealed. But right now her heart felt like it was stark naked before Xiang Liu, like she was stripped naked before him to observe.

Xiang Liu softly chuckled “If you’re afraid I will feel everything, then stop tormenting yourself. If your heart doesn’t hurt, then I’ll be better off as well.”

Xiao Yao heard the last thing he said and immediately perked up “If my body hurts 9/10th, then you hurt 1/10th. But if my heart hurts, does your heart hurt just as much?”

Xiang Liu honestly said “Yes! If your heart hurts, my heart hearts just as much. What of it? Are you planning to use that to reckon with me?”

Xiao Yao was silent. He was right! She could inflict bodily pain on herself, but she couldn’t make happiness or sadness.

Xiang Liu suddenly said “I’m a killer for hire sometimes.”

Xiao Yao looked quizzically at him and he said slowly, “If you pay, I can kill Fang Feng Yi Yang and her child for you.”

Xiao Yao smiled wanly “That is like the worst idea ever!”

Xiang Liu said in a half sincere half joking way “Then you stop giving yourself heartache in the future. If you keep causing trouble for me, maybe I’ll decide to kill you!”

Xiao Yao pouted “I didn’t force you to take the voodoo bug into your body years ago.”

“Years ago, I knew you were useless and would often get injured. But I didn’t know you were this foolish and couldn’t even protect your own heart.”

Xiao Yao opened her mouth like she wanted to argue back but said nothing. She dejectedly lowered her head like a wilted sunflower.

A winged horse trotted over and Xiang Liu vaulted on its back “Want to go?”

Xiao Yao raised her head and stared at Xiang Liu “Where?”

“The ocean.”

Xiao Yao hesitated, this wasn’t Qing Shui Town, the ocean was very far from the Middle Plains.

Xiang Liu didn’t rush her as his hand held the reins and he stared into the vast distance. The winged horse was also silent and stepped quietly in place.

Xiao Yao couldn’t control her body and soul longing for the vast expanse of the ocean and she leaped up. “Let’s go to the ocean.”

Xiang Liu turned back and stared at Xiao Yao before he reached out his hand.

Xiao Yao grabbed his hand and vaulted on the winged horse’s back.

The winged horse appeared to know it was time to leave and loudly whined. Xiang Liu whipped the reins and the horse flew into the air.

Miao Pu rushed out and anxiously yelled “Princess!”

Xiao Yao said “Tell Gege I’m leaving for a few days.”

When the winged horse left Zhi Yi Castle behind, Xiang Liu switched rides to his white condor.

Xiao Yao sat on Furball and stared at Xiang Liu, feeling like it was another lifetime ago. She asked “Aren’t you going to transform your hair color back?”

Xiang Liu said “This is dyed and not transformation.”

“Why pick such a hassle of a method?”

“The first time it was to avoid making a mistake, later it became a habit.”

Xiao Yao stared at the plump clouds passing by and thought about Xiang Liu being hesitant and afraid of making a mistake and she couldn’t help but laugh.

Xiang Liu appeared to know what she was thinking and casually said “In the beginning, even the biggest baddie is a callow youth like any other.”