nathsketch:
You're so cool ?

I'm a nerd who literally has a self-made, colour coded version of the novel, but thank you.

nathsketch:

Hahaha no, really. I want to be AH when I grow up. She manages to read and enjoy the bits of the novel with Jing without breaking her computer or smashing the monitor. I could never ?

If I'm perfectly honest, I skipped something like 80% of the scenes that didn't involve XL or FFB in some way the first time I read the novel. I liked TSJ a lot at first, then I really didn't like him, and finally I came to appreciate his role more later. ^^"

Symbolika1:

:D AH is our Gandalf  like figure here. Kuddos. 

At some point I'll disappear for months, only to return when S2 finally airs. With fancy fireworks. 

AH :
At some point I'll disappear for months, only to return when S2 finally airs. With fancy fireworks. 

As Gandalf did. Just too come back: right in time. 

AH :

I'm a nerd who literally has a self-made, colour coded version of the novel, but thank you.

If I'm perfectly honest, I skipped something like 80% of the scenes that didn't involve XL or FFB in some way the first time I read the novel. I liked TSJ a lot at first, then I really didn't like him, and finally I came to appreciate his role more later. ^^"

Hahahaha you'll arrive precisely when you mean to ;)

All this talk of Gandalf... I need to go rewatch the extended edition because LOTR is the only thing that calms me when I encounter these heart-rending cdramas. Gotta have my monthly fix of Legolas and Aragorn ?

Someone on Viki commented that after Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao ran away from her own wedding, they slept together and she got pregnant. That was one of the few motivations I had to read the novel. Like I knew they weren't endgame but I was hoping they'd admit their feelings for each other and get together for a little while.

I was so excited to get to THAT scene but after reading each chapter, my hopes got lower and lower... and my hopes got immediately destroyed when Jing came back :'( It turned out I got trolled by that comment.... 

Also, it's so tragic that Xiao Yao will never know how much Xiang Liu did for her.

Elise:

Someone on Viki commented that after Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao ran away from her own wedding, they slept together and she got pregnant. That was one of the few motivations I had to read the novel. Like I knew they weren't endgame but I was hoping they'd admit their feelings for each other and get together for a little while.

I was so excited to get to THAT scene but after reading each chapter, my hopes got lower and lower... and my hopes got immediately destroyed when Jing came back :'( It turned out I got trolled by that comment.... 

Also, it's so tragic that Xiao Yao will never know how much Xiang Liu did for her. 

I heard some things like that as well but I thought it was a bit far-fetched. It's just people more desperate than us.  This is one big tragedy, from beginning to end. I see no happiness whatsoever, too blind in my sunk ship ?

nathsketch:

I heard some things like that as well but I thought it was a bit far-fetched. It's just people more desperate than us.  This is one big tragedy, from beginning to end. I see no happiness whatsoever, too blind in my sunk ship ?

I'm not happy either. Even when she got back together with Jing I wasn't happy for her ahahaha. The only times I felt joy was when she had scenes with Xiang Liu and his persona as Fang Feng Bei. And even when she was with Fang Feng Bei, I couldn't enjoy it fully since I kept thinking Jing was stalking them and watching in the corner or hiding in the bushes lmao.

Elise:

I'm not happy either. Even when she got back together with Jing I wasn't happy for her ahahaha. The only times I felt joy was when she had scenes with Xiang Liu and his persona as Fang Feng Bei. And even when she was with Fang Feng Bei, I couldn't enjoy it fully since I kept thinking Jing was stalking them and watching in the corner or hiding in the bushes lmao. 

Girl, me neither. I don't know what spell I've been put under, but I never loathed a good, upstanding character as much as I do this Jing dude lol. Poor guy does not deserve my wrath, but I can't help it ?

nathsketch:

Girl, me neither. I don't know what spell I've been put under, but I never loathed a good, upstanding character as much as I do this Jing dude lol. Poor guy does not deserve my wrath, but I can't help it ?

he's so.... dull compared to the 2 other male leads. Xiang Liu takes her on these beautiful ocean dates and the acoustic music that plays with the female vocals are so beautiful too and gets me emotional (https://youtu.be/SKnJJGl7TmQ?si=BHOXPKwGDDScRW4K&t=6978 @1:56:18). With Jing, I get bored every time he and XY have a scene together and maybe it's my YaoLiu heart talking but I don't see the chemistry. They look more like companions to me than lovers.

nathsketch:
This is one big tragedy, from beginning to end. I see no happiness whatsoever, too blind in my sunk ship ?

No there is happiness! In the novel, all those scenes in the drama where XL/FFB walks away sadly and slowly with the OST playing? It only happens once in the novel and it's not nearly so dramatic. It's just:

Xiao Yao couldn’t help it and sighed loudly and murmured, “If only you can forever be Fang Feng Bei, that would be so great.” Bei appeared not to have heard her as he set down his wine cup and got up to leave, his form disappearing in the layers of curtains.

And the drama skips over all the mundane fun times that XY has with XL and FFB. The novel mostly summarizes those times, but they're there! 

And there are plenty of instances of happiness and joy.

Their swimming race? Unfettered happiness!

Xiang Liu slowly took off his robe and jumped into the water. Xiao Liu swam towards the shore with all his might with Xiang Liu right beside him. The water in the lake was icy cold and Xiao Liu warmed up with each valiant push forward. He could forget everything and return to childhood when it was all so free, so relaxing, so happy. His only goal was to return to shore, so very simple.

After an hour Xiao Liu finally reached shore. Xiang Liu was sitting next to a roaring fire and his clothes were already dried. Xiao Liu climbed on land... Xiang Liu said “You grew up somewhere with a lot of water... swimming brings you unfettered happiness...”

XL appears when XY's lonely, even before the bug transfer.

A white snowflake descended from the sky and Xiao Liu was so surprised and happy, but he quietly tamped down his smile and closed his eyes. Xiang Liu looked down at him from up high. “Stop pretending to be asleep.”

When the bug is transferred to XL? Joy!

Xiao Liu tightly clasped the walnut to his chest and started chanting, summoning the bug in his own body. After some time, Xiao Liu felt his own heart start to beat wildly, and incredibly he felt another heart beating as well. The two hearts were like friends who had not seen each other in a long time, beating wildly in joy to be together. Xiao Liu reached out his hand and pressed it on Xiang Liu’s chest, and it was indeed the sound of Xiang Liu’s heart.

Xiao Liu couldn’t believe it. “The bug is planted into your body? That fast?”

When they have their first underwater date? And after? Happiness!

Xiang Liu grabbed Xiao Liu and sank into the ocean and started swimming away from Five Gods Mountain... Xiang Liu held Xiao Liu’s hand and swam in the silent eerie bottom of the ocean. Every time Xiao Liu ran out of oxygen, Xiang Liu would pass a breath of air to him.

... Xiao Liu stared at everything with wonder and Xiang Liu did not rush him along... 

Xiao Liu knew they were being chased by Gao Xing soldiers but never felt in danger. Because Xiang Liu was so calm that it didn’t feel like they were on the run, it felt rather like Xiang Liu was taking him on a stroll through the ocean. They swam for so long underwater but Xiao Liu was really happy and the time didn’t feel long. It wasn’t until they were completely free of the chasing Gao Xing soldiers that Xiang Liu took Xiao Liu up to the surface.

The gold crowned white condor Furball flew over and Xiang Liu carried Xiao Liu and vaulted on its back. They rode the condor back to Qing Shui Town and ... Xiao Liu promptly fell fast asleep.

Xiang Liu... looked down at Xiao Liu in blissful slumber and his hand slowly pressed on his own heart. A smile appeared on the corner of his lips before it swiftly passed.

When XL enjoys XY's poisons? Her heart soars!

Bei ate the final bite and put down his chopstick. He took a sip of wine and casually said, “Not bad.”

Xiao Yao stared at the empty plate and her heart soared. “The only person who can make poisons this tasty in the entire world is me!”

Bei laughed back, “And the only person in the entire world who can appreciate your great “cooking” talents is me!”

So many times when XY feels lonely, XL appears and lifts her spirits:

Xiao Yao smiled – she hated loneliness and never liked walking alone, but life was naturally the journey of an individual and perhaps she was destined to walk her road by herself.

The sound of footsteps reached her and Xiao Yao turned around and saw Fang Feng Bei.

In a split second her heart soared and beat wildly. She had the urge to run away but forced herself to calm down and casually asked, “I didn’t see you at the ceremony.”

Fang Feng Bei softly chuckled. “Your personality isn’t all that, no matter how happy you always brace for the pain to come.”

Xiao Yao laughed. “That is why I treasure the happiness right before me, because that is the only thing that is real.”

Fang Feng Bei stopped and asked with a smile. “Princess, want to go find happiness?

“Why not?”

Xiao Yao laughed out loud in joy and turned around and hugged Bei and excitedly exclaimed, “Did you see that? He won! He’s free!”

Bei stared at the slave staggering forward and smiled. “Yes, he won!”

Those are just a handful of moments from the first half of the novel. 

Elise:

he's so.... dull compared to the 2 other male leads. Xiang Liu takes her on these beautiful ocean dates and the acoustic music that plays with the female vocals are so beautiful too and gets me emotional (https://youtu.be/SKnJJGl7TmQ?si=BHOXPKwGDDScRW4K&t=6978 @1:56:18). With Jing, I get bored every time he and XY have a scene together and maybe it's my YaoLiu heart talking but I don't see the chemistry. They look more like companions to me than lovers.

Yes, the whole thing is so weird from a cinematic point of view. I can sort of understand the novel, the sacrifices, and the angst, but on screen, it all falls apart. The chemistry is very lacking. And apparently, there'll be even fewer Jing scenes in season 2, so the ending will be such a disappointment. Here, have this not-very-appealing character get his happy ending because... reasons. And here, have the most compelling character in this story do all these amazing things and end up in this absolutely awful, heart-wrenching way. "It's what he always wanted". Well, I didn't lmao ??

AH, you're an angel for bringing us these little rays of sunshine. Thanks, darling ♥️

nathsketch:

AH, you're an angel for bringing us these little rays of sunshine. Thanks, darling ♥️

<3 Those moments make me so happy. As much as I am invested in XY and XL's endings, I am also very invested in their moments of happiness together ^^

nathsketch, it's true there'll be fewer Jing scenes in season 2. In the novel, he's gone for like 8 chapters and doesn't come back until the second to last chapter.... I was very disappointed when he came back lol. It didn't feel satisfying to me because he didn't earn it. Xiang Liu was the one who gave him the chance to be with Xiao Yao. It was Xiang Liu who did the work so that she would be happy.

Xiang Liu is such a selfless character and my heart bleeds for him :'(

Elise:

nathsketch, it's true there'll be fewer Jing scenes in season 2. In the novel, he's gone for like 8 chapters and doesn't come back until the second to last chapter.... I was very disappointed when he came back lol. It didn't feel satisfying to me because he didn't earn it. Xiang Liu was the one who gave him the chance to be with Xiao Yao. It was Xiang Liu who did the work so that she would be happy.

Xiang Liu is such a selfless character and my heart bleeds for him :'(

Yes, it's like it's supposed to make us feel infuriated. Dude was gone, so...just stay gone foreveeeer lol