solarlunareclipse:
I completely agree that he had every intention of having a future with WXL when he accepted the Lovers Bug. What I think is up for interpretation is when he decided to give XY up. Some possibilities I can think of:

This, and when did XL fall in love with XY, have a variety of choices that people favor.  I don't think it was 1 or 2, because he wasn't pushing her away here.

solarlunareclipse:
After he let her know the FFB and XL were the same person and she declined to let him drink from her neck.

In the drama, FFB/XL seems to drawing away from her when he falls asleep.  But I've heard in the book it was different and there was still intimacy in that scene.

solarlunareclipse:
When he decided to make the deal with CX to get one of Chenrong Mountain's peaks as a sacred land for cremated resistance army soldiers when CX became emperor in exchange for saving XY. I think XL thought that CX would be able to protect XY if he were emperor and this deal was him saying he wouldn't oppose CX becoming emperor anymore.

Yeah, I don't think that deal was XL saying he wouldn't oppose CX becoming Emperor, given that he later tried to assassinate CX, again.  That said, many people have pointed to the end of the 37 years in the sea shell as when XL starts pushing XY away, because having almost lost XY, he realizes how painful her loss would be to him, and he doesn't want her to feel that pain or understands how she would feel abandoned.  Or maybe the confrontation with CX when he took XY, made him realize it was definitely going to come down to him or CX.  Or maybe it was how quickly XY ran from his sea shell to Jing's jade bed. :(

solarlunareclipse:
After he snatched XY from her wedding with FL and she refused to answer is question of who she most wanted to spend her entire life with.

I tend to think this was the last chance for them, and XL gave up when she really wasn't happy to have him rescue her from the marriage and when she refused to answer his question.

solarlunareclipse:
Given my interpretation of what drives XL as a character, the most satisfactory explanation for me is that he gave her up after (2) because he knew she would not betray CX and he couldn't think of a way to end up with her AND not betray his men or his principles.

How did he know she would not betray CX?  Did they even talk about CX, then?  In the drama, the thing that prompted the strongest response from the Lovers Bug in XL was seeing and feeling her with Jing when she finally made it back to DragonBone Prison.  That was the moment when he wanted to reclaim his heart and the Lovers Bugs started reacting.  That, to me, is when he understood that he really needed to assess what his love for XY meant.  I don't think giving up right then would have been a good idea.

H19279:
BTW in one of the exchanges between you and Kokuto that she said FFB lied to her that he was not XL. It was in chapter 15 in the party event. She saw him and asked XL what he was doing here. He declined and said she misrecognized him with someone else

blabla100:
" She saw him and asked XL what he was doing here. He declined and said she misrecognized him with someone else"

That's not actually a lie, the person sitting there was not XL, but FFB. As XL once said, she asked the wrong question.

The dude altered his body so that he could be poisoned by her!  Come on, now.  He clearly was lying to her about who he was and trying to deceive her.

She asked the wrong question about removing the bugs, not if FFB was XL.  Besides, XL later admitted he was being himself when he used the name Fang Feng Bei.

CHAPTER 18

To fulfill my promise I put on a show for four years.  But in the 400 years since, I've just been myself.  Which one of your eyes saw me continuing to pretend to be Fang Feng Bei?  Regardless of whether it is FFB or XL or Nine Lives, it's just a name."

blabla100:
Yes, I was just reading it. That's the exact fragment and I guess that's up to anyone's own interpretation. 

"She saw Fang Feng Bei and he was riding on a winged horse at the end of the street. It was dark so she couldn’t clearly see the person on the winged horse but her instinct told her it was him. Xiao Yao squinted into the darkness at the end of the street and thought to herself that all the Fang Feng family members must be crack archers."

It was made in the drama that FFB was on air and pointing the arrow to CX. In the book, it was not describled explicitly. It was actually XY's assumption/illusion. One thing that if FFB really wanted to kill CX, CX would have no chance since he couldhave  shoot him when CX was under controlled of Yu Jang. As CX said " enemy of enemy is friend". XY's uncles had more power in Xuan Yuan at that time. In fact keeping the power conflict in Xuan Yuan's royal family is most beneficial for Sheng-nong Army. 

blabla100:
That's not actually a lie, the person sitting there was not XL, but FFB. As XL once said, she asked the wrong question. 

he quoted she did not ask him (not the wrong question) in the case of breaking the bug. There is another occasion that what he said was not fully truth

Fang Feng Bei laughed “You’re pissed today!”

Xiao Yao said nothing and grabbed another arrow and slowly turned around and pointed it on Fang Feng Bei’s chest “Who are you?”

Fang Feng Bei said “I live in the home of my future brother-in-law, I see my sister every day. Who do you think I can be other than Fang Feng Bei?”

Seeing him now, he didn’t look like Xiang Liu again so Xiao Yao glared “If later on I find out you lied to me, I’ll shoot this arrow right into your heart.”

Fang Feng Bei laughed “Who do you really want me to be? The friend you want to poison to death?”

Xiao Yao released her arrow and it whizzed past Fang Feng Bei and landed in the tree behind him. He clapped “I’m a great teacher!”

Xiao Yao smiled.

(Chapter 16)

In fact, he took FFB identity and being himself for 400 years. But he was not the real FFB and FFYY was not his real sister. In chapter 26, he event suggested to kill FFYY and her son. He could be someone else other than FFB, couldn't he?

The conversations between them always consist of unspoken word and someone said doublemeaning, sarcasm. Many of their line are in gray area instead of black/white - lie/true

blabla100:

I am not sure on this one tbh, I'd have to check the novel, but can't remember which chapter.  The thing is I do remember her saying to CX something along the lines of "don't worry, I won't forget that he pointed an arrow at you. And I don't know if that's reason for her to think that he cares more for her than for killing CX, since they did share the bugs, so harming her is harming himself. Idk if risking getting caught by CX's guards would have been a smart move. 

Fang Feng Bei could fire an arrow around around a tree, have it snap off the head of a flower, and then return for him to catch.  Clearly, firing around XY and nailing CX, is no problem for him.  Which is partially why he did that shot, and why XY realized he didn't kill CX because of her.

XY didn't know he was XL or that they shared the bugs at that point.

CX's guards were either absent or trying to deal with the other assassin, as had been planned.

blabla100:
Yes, I was just reading it. That's the exact fragment and I guess that's up to anyone's own interpretation.

"She saw Fang Feng Bei and he was riding on a winged horse at the end of the street. It was dark so she couldn’t clearly see the person on the winged horse but her instinct told her it was him. Xiao Yao squinted into the darkness at the end of the street and thought to herself that all the Fang Feng family members must be crack archers."

I think it's pretty clear in the novel that it was too dark to see FFB. It's only an 'instinct' and a 'feeling' that let her guess it was him.

@kokuto

"The dude altered his body so that he could be poisoned by her!" 

Again, I have my own interpretation, for sure you won't agree with me, but that's my take on things and I am not asking anyone to see this story the way I personally see it. It's entertaining to exchange different opions on a story that hits different for all of us here.  

About XL altering his body so he can be poisoned, that's a bit confusing and maybe far fetched, but the way I see it, while I do agree that FFB invited XY to drink with him with the intention of getting her to trust his FFB persoana, he also remained truthful to her.  He told her that if she drinks with him, he can be XL for her. While this seems contradictory, since XL is known as the one who can't get poisoned, the truth of the matter is that XL was poisoned by her when he accepted her lovers bug, just that XY didn't know it at that time, since she found out the specifics of the bugs much later into the story. 

"Xiao Yao looked into his eyes and the man laughed “Now I really want to be the person you mistook for me.”

"The bug in Xiao Yao’s body had no reaction so she got confused s“You’re really not him?”

If you drink with me, I can be him for you.

Xiao Yao sweetly smiled “Sure!”

The man poured her wine and she gulped it down before pouring him a cup and he gulped it down. A second later, his hand dropped and he wanly smiled “You poisoned me.”

@kokuto

"Fang Feng Bei could fire an arrow around around a tree, have it snap off the head of a flower, and then return for him to catch.  Clearly, firing around XY and nailing CX, is no problem for him. "

H19279 already gave an answer to this, I am really not into the political stuff of the story, so I didn't pay much attention to these details, but for sure that's a good explaination. 

" " XY's uncles had more power in Xuan Yuan at that time. In fact keeping the power conflict in Xuan Yuan's royal family is most beneficial for Sheng-nong Army." "

While knowing now that FFB didn't really have the intention of killing CX at that time, I am not so convinced that he couldn't avoid XY seeing / feeling him poiting an arrow at CX if he actually didn't want her to take notice of him.  As you said, he was able to alter his body în order to get poisoned, hard to believe he couldn't mask his presence în this regard. 

blabla100:
"Xiao Yao looked into his eyes and the man laughed “Now I really want to be the person you mistook for me.”

"The bug in Xiao Yao’s body had no reaction so she got confused s“You’re really not him?”

“If you drink with me, I can be him for you.”

Xiao Yao sweetly smiled “Sure!”

The man poured her wine and she gulped it down before pouring him a cup and he gulped it down. A second later, his hand dropped and he wanly smiled “You poisoned me.”

It is flirting. 

Assuming that FFB was just a guy who was mistook by XY.

1. Was there only one guy named Xiang Liu in the whole Great Wildness?

2. Anyone knew that XL was resistant to poison except XY and Jing to certain extend?

FFB answers in that part just show that doesn't matter who was XL but he was for sure someone close to her. her friend (and he was just a stranger at that point). Thus if she drank with him, he could pretend to be that guy - meaning her friend or knowing her, doing whatever she wanted to do with that friend. 

Kokuto:
I tend to think this was the last chance for them, and XL gave up when she really wasn't happy to have him rescue her from the marriage and when she refused to answer his question.

I also agree that this was the last chance XL gave her to be honest with her heart. When she couldn't, he finally gave up. The fact that he used the hurt in his heart to hurt her was proof of the pain he had been enduring for both of them.

In interpreting the Lover's Bugs, I believe that every time XY denied her love for XL or played lovebirds with Jing, it was a betrayal of his love. Betrayal only meant that the Lover's Bugs would attack, and the only reason she didn't die is because she never stopped loving XL. Furthermore, as FFB, he stole XY, causing the families in Shennong to be at semi-odds, which would have hindered CX's plans for reunification to some extent. XY's return put everything back on track. So, if she hadn't been so stubborn, they could have enjoyed a few years in Qingshui Town together, while he held down the fort.

Kokuto:
That, to me, is when he understood that he really needed to assess what his love for XY meant.  I don't think giving up right then would have been a good idea.

I think if he gave up all entirety, it would been imminent death per the Lover's Bugs. 

I also believe that XL's decision not to assassinate CX has to do with him not being able to bear XY's broken heart, the same reason he woke XY up after 37 years to save Jing. I think XL just wasn't counting on XY getting too intimate with Jing. By the way, every time I think about XY was physically intimate with Jing, the hurt XL had to endure from the poisonous bugs must have been excruciating, and even the thought itself is excruciating.

H19279:
It is flirting. 

One of the best flirting ever scenes ever! XL surely showed XY what it looks like to be romanced. 

solarlunareclipse:
I see him asking her who she most wanted to spend her entire life with (5) as just a moment of weakness on his part.

The last time XL showed XY his weakness was in the bedroom scene. You will not see XL being this vulnerable again. XY missed her moment. 

@Kokuto  

Here is a scene analysis of the bedroom scene, in my opinion, was altered in both composition and dialogue, ultimately diminishing significant nuances in XY's perspective and diluting the relationship between XY and XL. Video for reference: https://www.facebook.com/share/v/RWx7ooKmygYtSULC/?

When FFB enters XY’s room after successfully stealing a map, severely injured, and approaches XY’s bedside, she suspiciously inflicts further harm by poisoning him. As FFB, XL isn't entirely immune to XY’s poisons. He lets his guard down, weakening his spiritual powers to evade detection. Everything leading up to Cui Liang leaving XY’s room marks the end of the similarities between the novel and the drama.

In the novel, “XY released his hand and lay down beside him, gazing at the ceiling. “Who are you?” XY asked. FFB coldly responded with a question, “Who do you wish me to be?” After a period of silence, XY angrily remarked, “You can be whoever you damn please!”

FFB rises slowly, tilts his head toward XY, poised. Just as his lips are about to touch XY’s neck, she promptly covers it, and he kisses her palm. "Stop," she exclaimed.

FFB momentarily reclines, yet XY turns to her side and presents her wrist. “Bite here.”

“Why not there?” he asks, his expression intense.

At that instant, XY began to long for the easy-going, go-with-the-flow FFB. “Why do you think, FFB?” XY exclaimed.

FFB remained silent for a moment, then reached for her wrist. Two sharp teeth appeared and pierced her flesh. This was the first time XY could see him sucking her blood. There was no pain, just the frisson of cool excitement.

XY observed FFB intently. As he looked in her direction, she promptly closed her eyes in a docile manner. "How is it that I'm still afraid of him?" she pondered.

A while later, XY began to feel dizzy, choosing to remain silent. It was Xuan Yuan Castle, and he needed to recover as swiftly as possible.

Upon finishing drinking her blood, FFB delicately licked the wound, causing the bleeding to cease. As he lowered her wrist, the lingering evidence of the bite resembled a mark akin to a passionate kiss.

“Xiao Yao…” FFB said softly. XY couldn't open her eyes. “I’m fine. I need to heal. After I get a little sleep, I’ll be fine,” she murmured.

FFB swiftly searched through XY’s medicine boxes and retrieved a pill. After administering it to her, he laid down beside her to focus on his own healing.

XY slept until nearly noon. She opened her eyes and gazed at FFB, still lying next to her with his eyes closed. Her heart relaxed, releasing the worry she had been holding onto. XY understood he couldn’t move; yet, he could hear her. Softly, XY tells him, “I’m hungry. I am going out to eat, so you heal in peace.”

XY rose and adjusted the curtains before walking to the corner of her room to get dressed. Once she finished styling her hair, XY left the room. Along the path and by the door, she scattered poison until her heart was free from worry.”

After finishing her meal, she returned to her room. In the following paragraphs, XY reminisces about all the moments she shared with FFB. The paragraph in which she recalls how their archery lessons started is genuinely sweet, and XY was quite amused and didn’t mind him getting close to her. The recollection concludes with XY reassuring herself that she wasn't surprised that FFB was XL. Tong Hua writes, “Last night, upon discovering he was XL, she wasn’t surprised or shocked in the least. It felt as though it had always been this way, a heavy burden in the corner of her heart lifted. However, another burden arose.”

Later that day, she would go see CX, and they would discuss his drug addiction and what caused the night's chaos. After returning at dawn, her bed was neatly made, and XL had already left. XY sat by her bedside, fiddling with her bow callouses in her hands.

————————————

In this part of the novel, XY, lying beside him, demonstrates her trust in him and desire to be close. Despite denying him her neck for healing, she turns toward him and offers her wrist, echoing XY's dream statement—a blend of confession and rejection. These passages encompass all of XY’s mixed emotions towards XL (FFB). Towards FFB, she missed him; towards XL, she is one part fearful, one part obedient, one part excited. In both cases, she felt worried and wanted to protect.

While successfully portraying XL's emotional turmoil, the drama's depiction of this scene altered XY’s perspective and diluted her emotions towards XL. XY's words, “Whatever. I’m healing your wounds. I’m helping you,” as well as the addition of XY’s goodbye, didn't effectively capture the nuances in XY’s emotions toward XL (FFB). Instead, it worked against the initial portrayal. The montage of memories with XL/FFB also lacked the impact of her first encounter with FFB and her initial impression of him. If anything, the scene creates the impression that XY rejected XL out of disinterest, and her willingness to offer her blood seemed more out of pity than care. In conclusion, as powerful as this scene was, it somehow failed to fully capture XY's claustrophobic worries and her strong desire to protect him.

plor20:
“Why not there?” he asks, his expression intense.

At that instant, XY began to long for the easy-going, go-with-the-flow FFB. “Why do you think, FFB?” XY exclaimed.

FFB remained silent for a moment, then reached for her wrist. Two sharp teeth appeared and pierced her flesh. This was the first time XY could see him sucking her blood. There was no pain, just the frisson of cool excitement.

XY observed FFB intently. As he looked in her direction, she promptly closed her eyes in a docile manner. "How is it that I'm still afraid of him?" she pondered.

In my opinion, XL did not quite when he got rejected on the beach in chapter 13. Futher explanation is at the end of this post. He showed up as FFB not only to teach her self-protection skill but also to get known her (as a woman) more and to prove that he was worthy to show up in young girl's dream. He had been teaching XY for 2 years which was not really enough to master the skill. If he only focused on teaching archery, he should not have reveal his identity of XL. He delibrately came to her room after getting injured not just because he trusted her feeling to XL (confirmed by the bug, the poison gift), thus she would help him but also he really wanted to tell her who he was. Before this event, Jing had come to Xuan Yuan and after that CX showed weird behavior. He could sense that the situation would change and he wanted a "fair" competition. He wanted to know if their relationship could be back as the time in QS town. Thus instead of replying he was XL, he used the  usual itmacy action - biting at the neck. XY's answered his question of "why not there" by another question "why do you think, FFB" to referred to the previous time she declined another itmacy action between them - passing air. Her question reply actually referred to herprevious answer to his "why" in the past. Therefore, her reply "why do you think,FFB?" actually send him remind of "because I am scared of you, of that he walks into her dream". And her inner thought  "How is it that I'm still afraid of him?" echoes her scare mentioned in chapter 13. Despite all of his consideration, their mutual understanding and similarity in characteristics and attitude to life, XL saw that he was still not suitable for her. Now he knew that his status and commitment to Sheng Nong Army is the most obstacle.

--------------

@Kokuto, @Blabla100, @ZYHIJ,

Such a eventful debate! It is not easy to track and respond to each opinion. Thus, I will express some of my thought about XL/FFB's motivation from chapter 13-17

Chapter 13:

XL and XY both understood that XL was a kind of man that it is diffult to resist and she had certain feeling for him but she didn't want to pursue it because she is still a girl (full of dream) but he is not suitable to walk in young girl's dream.

"I was still a girl who dreams. So….so….I’m scared that if I’m not careful, you’ll walk into my dreams. And you…..” Xiao Yao shook her head “You’re someone who is never ever suitable to show up in a young girl’s dreams. That might actually be scarier than death.”

And after that, XL bitterly laughed of himself and walk away

Xiang Liu smiled with a twinkle in his eye “I’m doing this for your own good. If I’m too tender and considerate with you, I might accidentally enter your dreams and leave you wishing for death. That would be a crime on my part.”

The question is how we interpret "Dream" in this case and if XL and XY have the same or different meaning of "dream".

XY dreamed of a companion who could share with her happiness, sorrow in life, and would never abandon her. She was scared of being abandoned by loved one and in her POV, XL attached his fate/lives with Sheng Nong army which was underdog, suffered from many difficulty and had doomed future. Thus she thought XL would die with his army one day and she would be left alone and suffered from being abandoned again.

From XL's POV, because XY said he was not suitable for any young girl, thus XL excluded the reason of being her family's enemy. Actually at that point, he knew she was princess of Haoling which was not enemy of Xuan Yuan. CX was still a prince in excile and hostage in Haoling. The presence Sheng-nong army and its resistance toward Xua Yuan was beneficial for Haoling. From XL's POV, he understood "dream" as love, young girl's fantasy of love. What made him not suitable to show up in girl's dream? He probably wondered what kind of history between him and WXL that made her think so? It could be his status in the resistant army which had uncertain future, his notorious demon reputation in the Great Wildness - the most scary, murderous, powerful demon (also a professional killer), his harsh action with WXL in the past (such as throwing her into the water, made her hurt).

Did XL know XY fixed her will to  having a partner who would never leave her for any reason? I don't think so. XY in Haoling was in much better circumstance than the first time that he met her. From what Grand emperor celebrated her return, XL could get that she was surrounded by her family (still had trouble with Ah Nian) and a home. She was not the one with 3 NO. Seeing that she could be harm by Ah Nian, he got that she still needed to self-protection skill.

So, I believe that his primary purpose of appearing as FFB in front of her is to teach her archery. Besides that, he also wanted to be with the female XY who clearly did not behave and think as WXL that he had known and also show her his other side which, he knew, wanted by many young girl.

XY thought that FFB was like a child who had been bored alone; and having her discovering Xuan Yuan  help both of them enjoy the experience better than doing it alone. Whom got the benefit from her spending free time with him? Was it just to alleviate his boredom? After the lesson, they went to the dance club where he watched dancing or drank while she rested and slept. Both of them could eat in the restaurant but he always gave her the best part. Going to the jewellery shop or cosmetic shop where he had to wait her for hours but he still paid attention at the end. All of these were proof for a considerate partner/boyfriend who understood woman's heart so well. In chapter 43, she wished that if she could have saved XL back then, "could he have found the woman he loved? Would he take her to buy perfumes at the flower demon shops? Go eat at hard to find restaurants in little alleys……." All those activities were supposed to be between couples in normal view and hers too.

I feel like I'm back to 3 months ago. So many comments when I got up :-). I can't keep track of the conversation and the points that each person is "arguing" 

solarlunareclipse:
You can file most my original interpretation under “conspiracy theories from someone who is not a big fan of TSJ.”

plor20:
Everything Yaoliu is a conspiracy to them and the only love story is YaoJing (eye rolls). haha

Alright, on a scale of 1 to 10 - where 1 is "not at all" and 10 is "with the fire of a thousand burning suns", how much do you guys dislike Jing?

I need to know so when it's time to vote for president, secretary and treasury for the I Hate this Rat (aka Jing) Club, I can cast my vote accordingly :-)

plor20:
When FFB enters XY’s room after successfully stealing a map, severely injured, and approaches XY’s bedside, she suspiciously inflicts further harm by poisoning him. As FFB, XL isn't entirely immune to XY’s poisons. He lets his guard down, weakening his spiritual powers to evade detection. Everything leading up to Cui Liang leaving XY’s room marks the end of the similarities between the novel and the drama.

I think FFB only lowered his immune or stopped practising certain body function thus making him affected by the poison only during the first meeting in the first meeting in the party. I think he could detect if his body was exposed to poison and control his body to react or not react with the poison. Her poison in the sence in chapter 17 had no effect on him. His weakness was caused by the injury. The map that he stole was very important thus it was likely to be guarded with great enforcement. However, he chose to use his injury to reveal his real identity and see if their relationship could be resumed as before. He for sure could escape himself (with another route) and heal by himself althought it wout take more time.  

H19279:
Xiao Yao said nothing and grabbed another arrow and slowly turned around and pointed it on Fang Feng Bei’s chest “Who are you?”

Fang Feng Bei said “I live in the home of my future brother-in-law, I see my sister every day. Who do you think I can be other than Fang Feng Bei?”

Seeing him now, he didn’t look like Xiang Liu again so Xiao Yao glared “If later on I find out you lied to me, I’ll shoot this arrow right into your heart.”

Well, it's clear that XY isn't parsing words, and thinks that XL pretending to be FFB, is indeed, a lie.

H19279:
The conversations between them always consist of unspoken word and someone said doublemeaning, sarcasm. Many of their line are in gray area instead of black/white - lie/true

I agree, that their conversations are always ... tricky and layered, but always entertaining.  If we go back to the original quote that started this conversation 

Fang Feng Bei drank his wine and said casually “Every word he said is the truthI’m not a guy suitable for a woman to follow. Isn’t that something you already know?” 

He isn't agreeing that Jing is a better man than he is.  He's saying, "IF you want to be a rich married man's side piece all your life, then as LJC said, Jing is the better choice.  IF a settled house in this city and a doormat is important to you, then as LJC said, Jing is the better choice.  IF you want someone who isn't going to fight and kill CX, then Jing is the better choice."

And then he is saying, "You've told me what you want in lover, and I can't offer all of that -- you've told me that makes unsuitable."  But then he does as FFB always does, he questions her heart.  "Do you really know what you want?  Am I still unsuitable?"

H19279:
I think FFB only lower his immune or stop practising certain body function thus making him affected by the poison only during the first meeting in the first meeting in the party. I think he could recognise if his body was exposed to poison and control his body to react or not react with the poison. Her poison in the sence in chapter 17 had no effect on him. His weakness was caused by the injury. The map that he stole was very important thus it was likely to be guarded with great enforcement. However, he chose to use his injury to reveal his real identity and see if their relationship could be resumed as before. He for sure could escape himself (with another route) and heal by himself althought it wout take more time.

That was my take on it, also.