blabla100:

In a way is funny how can more people watch something but seeing it differenly. For me the "who do you want to marry / who do you most want to spend your entire life with" sealed it, and not because there is a scene like this în the novel, but because that îs the vibe I got from watching the drama în the first place, way before finding out a scene like this exist în the novel

I don't dislike Jing, I actually like him and I am sure XY loves him too, but IMO not as deep as she loves XL. XL îs the one that XY can't help but love. 

I understand how Jing works for XY and the story.  But I have a different take on love than XY, and Jing set off personal flags for me early on.

And yes!  There's plenty of different takes for the show and the characters.  That's part of what makes it so interesting.

I just felt there was a mutual connection between XY and XL in their scenes.  They talked and shared and were intimate and laughed in ways I understood and grew to love each other, without expectations.   With Jing, I always felt they each had expectations, and had to work too hard for the relationship.

nathsketch:

Yes, this! At first I didn’t know about this “who do you want to marry / who do you most want to spend your entire life with” part, but once I did, it  all became so clear.

I had some thoughts on that, in response to another post, but haven't been able to finish the post.  I keep getting distracted.

If you get the time for it, please finish your post. I need some insights on that.

nathsketch:

If you get the time for it, please finish your post. I need some insights on that.

Ha! Says my main distraction.  LOL!

Kokuto:

Ha! Says my main distraction.  LOL!

But…but… I swear it’s not my fault ? Blame this: https://pin.it/5J3pjTR

Who told him he’s allowed to look like this? ???

nathsketch:

But…but… I swear it’s not my fault ? Blame this: https://pin.it/5J3pjTR

Who told him he’s allowed to look like this? ???

I rest my case.

Kokuto:

I rest my case.

No further questions, Your Honor.

I sent that one to you yesterday, but there was no reply. I was afraid you were passed out lol

nathsketch:

I sent that one to you yesterday, but there was no reply. I was afraid you were passed out lol

Sensory overload.

Kokuto:

Sensory overload.

Ahahahah I see your profile pic and it makes me cackle 'cause that dragon has seen things that'll never be forgotten lmao

Kokuto:
Yes, this! At first I didn’t know about this “who do you want to marry / who do you most want to spend your entire life with” part, but once I did, it  all became so clear.

I had some thoughts on that, in response to another post, but haven't been able to finish the post.  I keep getting distracted.

nathsketch:

liddi posted an interesting excerpt from the version of that scene in Tong Hua's 2019 update to the novel:

https://mydramalist.com/44985-lost-you-forever#comment-14596743

AH :

liddi posted an interesting excerpt from the version of that scene in Tong Hua's 2019 update to the novel:

https://mydramalist.com/44985-lost-you-forever#comment-14596743

Yes, I remember reading this part about the update. It seems so clear to me, but what does it all mean? The fox ladies have a totally different interpretation of everything. I don't know what to think anymore. Now they have this whole shenanigan about flowers and such. I give up lol

blabla100:

I am genuinly curios how can other people interpret this scene differenly, for me only the fact that the author chose to have these questions raised în the novel by XL makes a point on its own.  Like why ask if not for XL having doubts about what XY truly wants or say she wants. It's not only her answer that is important, but his questions as well. 

Also a good indicator îs the mermaid reaching out to the merman that XY sent to XL and the reference from XL's epilogue, the secret wedding gift he prepared for her,  with the mermaid holding hands with a smiling man. That was his gift for her, HE made that possible and that's what I belive this story îs all about. 

blabla100:

I am genuinly curios how can other people interpret this scene differenly, for me only the fact that the author chose to have these questions raised în the novel by XL makes a point on its own.  Like why ask if not for XL having doubts about what XY truly wants or say she wants. It's not only her answer that is important, but his questions as well. 

Also a good indicator îs the mermaid reaching out to the merman that XY sent to XL and the reference from XL's epilogue, the secret wedding gift he prepared for her,  with the mermaid holding hands with a smiling man. That was his gift for her, that's what this story îs all about, IMO. 

And that part in the end when XY and Jing go to explore the vastness of the sea or something like that... not a different kingdom, not the mountains, not a desert, not a tropical forest, not Copacabana. THE SEA. Who spends their honeymoon in a place where everything reminds you of another dude? Has she already lost all her memories of him at this point? 

That as well, good point. That not only shows that XY was, indeed, the happiest while exploring the sea with XL/FFB, but also that XL achieved to make her 3 wishes come true. A place to stay, a skill to protect myself and someone who  will stay by my side forever. I don't remember if those were the exact words, but close enough. If I remember correctly, XY never asked for a man to love, but for someone who will not abandon her and that îs also quite telling. 

nathsketch:
And that part in the end when XY and Jing go to explore the vastness of the sea or something like that... not a different kingdom, not the mountains, not a desert, not a tropical forest, not Copacabana. THE SEA. Who spends their honeymoon in a place where everything reminds you of another dude? Has she already lost all her memories of him at this point? 

She decides to leave Dahuang (where ZX now pretty much rules the whole world) and go to the ocean because of XL and her memories of him. Definitely not because she's already forgotten him. She makes the decision the first night after she finds out about his death. She spends the whole night crying for him and in pain. In the end she is weary and decides she wants to leave to explore the islands that XL told her about in chapter 26. XL reminded her that she could always return to the sea in chapter 43. 

Just as ZX was partly responsible for TSJ's death, he is also partly responsible for XL's death. TSJ convinced XY to forgive ZX for his involvement in TSJ's death, and XY always knew that XL and ZX were enemies and this was how things would end, but I still feel like his role in XL's death (on top of his role in TSJ's death) is a part of the reason she finally feels ready to leave ZX behind.

----

Chapter 51:

Xiao Yao’s entire face was awash with tears and she lifted her head to stare at the sky.

Xiang Liu, why? Why? Why do you treat me this way? Why won’t you even let me keep one memory of you…..so our hundreds of years together, it was always just a transaction to you?

Xiang Liu died so boldly and left nothing behind, no parting words and even his body dissolved into poison. No one was there to answer Xiao Yao’s plaintive question.

When Jing embraced Xiao Yao from behind, she realized it was gradually sunrise.

Xiao Yao realized she was cold from being in the cold all night and Jing used his body to warm her “When did you get up?”

Xiao Yao hurriedly wiped her tears and said with a twinge “Not long ago.”

Jing softly kissed her on the curve of her neck.

Xiao Yao weakly leaned into Jing’s embrace and after some time she said in a low voice. “I just told you a lie, I’ve actually been up for a long time. I couldn’t sleep last night.”

Jing replied “Don’t worry, even the most loving spouses need time to themselves. I know you are very sad and pained right now, so you need to be alone even more.”

Xiao Yao said “I…..I…..”

Jing covered her lips “Don’t think your husband is a very jealous and small minded person. Xiang Liu saved your life many times, I am eternally grateful to him.”

Xiao Yao’s tears began to fall again and the drops landed on Jing’s hand. Jing said nothing and continued to hold Xiao Yao in his arms.

Xiao Yao murmured, “Even though I always reminded myself that he was Zhuan Xu’s enemy, but I…..I was not prepared for this! I really wish it was all a lie…..he’s so sneaky, he must’ve found a way to stay alive!”

Jing said nothing because he knew Xiao Yao didn’t need his response.

“It’s because he’s so sneaky that he doesn’t want to stay alive! One time he told me “Actually, to a General, the best ending is dying on the battlefield.” So he chose for himself the best ending!”

“But what a bullshit best ending! He’s the stupidest idiot in this world! He stayed loyal and true to Gong Gong and all his soldier comrades but did he do himself right?”

“I’m the idiot actually. He never cared, so why do I have to be so hurt? I don’t want to be feeling so much hurt…”

Xiao Yao kept talking and crying until gradually her words trailed off and she curled tightly in Jing’s arms and stared at the tall Phoenix Flower Tree. Blooms of red fell to the ground carried by the wind as if frames of each memory passing by. No matter how beautiful, it would all pass with the wind.

Xiao Yao wearily closed her eyes. “Jing, I want to leave!”

“Where shall we go?”

“To the ocean! The millions of miles of ocean and unending horizon. Xiang Liu said there were endless uninhabited and uncharted islands, perhaps we can find a beautiful island to call home.”

“Sure!”

Xiao Yao chose the path going forward of the water returning to the sea, the bird returning to the tree, once again returning to where she really belonged.

-----

Chapter 37:

Xiao Xiao didn’t say thanks or no need, she just calmly asked “Does my lady want to return to Sheng Nong Mountain now?”

Xiao Yao stared at the sea and didn’t respond. Moments later she said “I want to stay one night on the sea.

That night the waves rocked the ship and Xiao Yao couldn’t sleep. She climbed off her pallet and draped a robe over herself and walked out on the deck.

A slight ocean breeze, a bright round moon hanging in the sky reflecting the glittering light on the waves. It was beautifully silent.

Under this big ocean she laid inside a giant white clam shell for thirty-seven years. No one knew how Xiang Liu managed to save her life, or that her body had changed. Every time Zhuan Xu would ask, she would claim to have slept the entire time and remembered nothing. But in her heart everything was crystal clear to her. His blood flowed inside her body. Even now her body clamored for the ocean. In the past she loved water but that feeling was nothing like what she felt now. Back then the ocean was the ocean and she was herself. Now she was a daughter of the sea, she could swim with the fishes and listen to the merpeople’s song. She could dive into the deepest part of the ocean like a demon fish and could swim faster than a dolphin.

With just one vault she could jump into the ocean and swim happily. But Xiao Yao refused, she tightly clenched her fist and warred with herself.

-----

Chapter 35:

Xiang Liu lifted Xiao Yao’s head. “If you have nowhere to go, then you can always go out to sea. The ocean is so vast that there will be a place for you.

Xiao Yao remembered that she had the ability of a sea demon now and the endless ocean might be a nightmare for others but was paradise for her. If Xuan Yuan and Gao Xing didn’t have a place for her, she could always go to the sea. Having discovered a secret passage that no one else knew could save her life, Xiao Yao suddenly felt a sliver of calm.

-----

Chapter 26:

Xiao Yao wrapped her arms around her knees and stared at the stars in the sky and listened to the waves crashing on the rocks.

After Xiang Liu was done eating he said “Let’s go back.”

Xiao Yao didn’t move and continued to stare at the ocean. If it was possible, she really wanted to live like this for the rest of her life.

“Xiao Yao?” Xiang Liu stood before Xiao Yao. She raised her head to stare at him and smiled “Don’t you feel like today was a day we stole to spend together? That there is only now and no tomorrow!”

Xiang Liu was taken aback and said nothing. Xiao Yao pointed to the horizon “What’s over there?”

“Endless ocean.”

“No land?”

“Scattered islands.”

“What kind of islands?”

“Some islands have not even a blade of grass, others as beautiful as a dreamscape.”

Xiao Yao sighed, “I really want to go see.”

Xiang Liu remained silent and then whistled once before Furball arrived. He vaulted on its back and Xiao Yao had no choice but to stand up and climb on.

-----

Chapter 43:

After three days, Xiang Liu finished healing and stood up. He said to Left Ear, “Thank you for giving me a ride.”

Left Ear asked “You’re leaving?”

Xiao Yao turned around and appeared to want to say something but ended up closing her mouth again.

Xiang Liu said, “Tomorrow you’ll encounter the people sent by the Black Emperor to search for Xiao Yao.” He tossed a little jewel to Xiao Yao before vaulting off the ship to land on the water surface.

“What is this?” Xiao Yao asked.

A sea map. If you don’t have the ability to survive on Sheng Nong Mountain, then come to the ocean. This sea map is but a small portion of the ocean but with your body in no time you’ll be like a fish as familiar with the ocean.”

Xiao Yao remembered what Xiang Liu said before, there are countless islands in the vast ocean, some with nothing on it, others as beautiful as a dream.

“I don’t need this!” Xiao Yao wanted to toss the jewel back but Xiang Liu was already walking away, stepping on the emerald waves headed North until his form disappeared.

Left Ear watched Xiao Yao continue to stare at the direction where Xiang Liu vanished.

After a long long time, Xiao Yao finally looked away and carefully tucked the sea map jewel away.

-----

XL's epilogue:

Remembering our first meeting in Qing Shui Town, you were full of tricks, with a mouth full of made-up crap. But the only thing you said that was true was: I have no ability to protect myself, no one to rely on, and nowhere to go.

After over ten years of teaching you archery, you now have the ability to protect yourself. You don’t need to use your own body to protect someone you treasure when danger is around. The right man for you. You now have someone to rely on. You don’t have to be all alone anymore with solitude as your companion. The sky is vast and oceans deep. You now have a place to go and don’t need to be chased by people and be without a place to call home.

-----

Chapter 46:

Nearly the entire vast wilderness was under the Black Emperor’s authority, and other than the ocean kingdoms on scattered islands, there was only one place that was not under his power – the various mountains occupied by the Sheng Nong Resistance Army and Qing Shui Town bordering it.

[Note: I'd say Jade Mountain is also not under his power, but I think Tong Hua mentioning the scattered islands specifically here was very intentional.]