We are performing scheduled database maintenance, which may cause temporary downtime. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.
 nathsketch:
No, I haven't. No, I'm not. No, I didn't. Hahahahaha I just called it quits after I found out how it all ends.

Hahahahaha, maybe that's for the best tbh.

Elise:
I also hated that he used CX as an excuse to see XY. In episode 23, I hated that scene when she ditched Fang Feng Bei to hang out with Jing (because she remembered what CX asked her to do). I had the same expression as FFB when she ditched him.

I know right! Man, that was infuriating. And then he went to that restaurant alone and the lady even asked him why he came on his own, and he was clearly upset :(

That dynamic of CX being willing to sell XY out to men for power, XY being willing to be sold out to men for CX's sake, and Jing intentionally exploiting that... yikes.

Elise:
Their relationship did seem like an affair considering he's engaged. Some people say they don't really see him as engaged because he and his fiancee don't like each other.... technically, they are on paper ??‍♀️

I mean it clearly is an affair, considering that Jing's fiancee is secretly with Jing's brother behind everyone's back and everyone considers what they're doing as having an affair.

Elise:
I think XL loves both Wen Xiaoliu and XY, but more so Xiaoliu since that was before he knew about her background. Controversial opinion but I really think XL would've pursed a relationship with XY if Cang Xuan never forced her to go back to meet her father. No returning to her real identity meant no obstacles to hold back their relationship. Plus I read that casting description of him on Twitter...

Agreed. It's a shame that she was forced to go back and then immediately decided to completely give up on everything she wants (freedom and a simple life) for the sake of what CX wants.

Elise:
From reading the leaked season 2 script, Xiang Liu deserves someone much better than XY..... All that sacrifice and for what? XY doesn't even seem to care about him like she does in the novel >.>

I read the leaked script as well, and I'm really not sure what they're going for. The sentence You're not suitable to be in a girl's dream, that would be worse than death kept coming back in XL's thoughts like an obsession, as if it was the ultimate truth. It felt like in the end he didn't even think he deserved to be loved? I hope I'm wrong.

blabla100:
To be fair I think she had a bit of an identity crisis, I think în a way she was torn between being herself (the way she was around xl/ffbei) and being how she herself and others expected her to be ever since her identity was revelead.

I think so too! A lot of what she was doing felt like she was doing it because that's what she thinks she should be doing. And in her relationship with Jing, I felt like she was acting in the way she felt a little girl in love should be acting. Based on the conversation with Tian'er, that actually makes sense, so maybe Tong Hua did it on purpose.

blabla100:
Also I wanted to add that looking back, I belive the moon (either full, either crescent) is some sort of leitmotif

Yes, and also XL gave her the crescent moon bow, and I believe his own weapon is a crescent moon sword? 

In the beginning they watch the full moon together while holding hands on the lake, and in the end at that very same lake she shoots an arrow into his chest and tells him she never wants to see him again during a moonless night. It's too sad </3

bugei:
Also i remember an interview with yang zi saying that in one of the final shots, she just kept on crying… i know shots arent filmed in order but im assuming thats the part where she learned of xiang liu’s fate as thats the only part in the novel where i remember she cried her heart out.

I don't agree with XL's ending. Stupid tragedy for the sake of tragedy lol. I guess it's memorable, but I'd prefer if it was less memorable and more satisfying.

blabla100:

Also I wanted to add that looking back, I belive the moon (either full, either crescent) is some sort of leitmotif (I am not sure if this word exist în english). I wasn't really paying much attention to the moon theme while I was reading, but now I think it is a reflection on her/their feelings, like the full moon she saw with XL (2 hearts beating the same), the lack of moon from chapter 46, the full moon night Jing picked for them to get married, the crescent lonely moon she saw the night she found out about XL's death etc etc.  I think the first time the full moon apperead she was with XL? I am not sure, but I think so. 

The moon is definitely a motif. As you mentioned, it is significant in both YaoLiu scenes and YaoJing scenes. 

The first time the moon is mentioned is in chapter 1, when XY looks up at a cold, low crescent moon before deciding to pick up the beggar (YSQ/TSJ) to bring him back to the clinic.

The moon is mentioned several times in XY / XL scenes in chapter 3 and 4 where the type of moon (full, crescent, etc.) is not specified. Although the moon in the tree scene in chapter 4 is probably pretty full, because XL "dove down from the center of the moon."

The moon-rise date happens later in chapter 4, and that is indeed the first time the moon is specifically described as full. Although it is only described as full after they have parted ways on not-great terms (with XY belittling the Sheng Nong army's cause and casually saying that XL should abandon Gong Gong to work for the Yellow Emperor instead, and XL reacting badly). 

blabla100:
the lack of moon from chapter 46

In chapter 46 the moon was described as bright and clearly reflected in the lake until dark clouds covered it, so that only darkness shone in XL's eyes. 

Elise:
I figured as much xD. If the director and DW see the underwater kiss as a real kiss, then it is. Though, the anti-YaoLius won't see it that way.

I see air-sharing as very intimate but not quite the same as a real kiss. But the novel and the drama both describe air-sharing and XY's refusal to air-share as kisses and a refusal to kiss.

This actually came up in the YaoJing thread. One poster was judging people for referring to those scenes as kiss scenes. I pointed out how they are described, and that user asked about the scene where XY feeds TSJ medicine and I confirmed that that scene is also described as XY feeding TSJ medicine via kisses. It seemed like they were satisfied with that. 

kitty_momo:
I read the leaked script as well, and I'm really not sure what they're going for. The sentence You're not suitable to be in a girl's dream, that would be worse than death kept coming back in XL's thoughts like an obsession, as if it was the ultimate truth. It felt like in the end he didn't even think he deserved to be loved? I hope I'm wrong.

I don't get it either: of course XL wasn't suitable to be in a girl's dream from any point of view - especially from a girl point of view - even him shouldn't question or brood on this:

• he treated her badly: like a disposable medicine, he was quite violent with her...
  • he appears like moody and unpredictable and he could go from tender to violent in a matter of seconds
  • he made it clear that he was going to burn down with the Shen Nong army, triggering Xiao Yao's abandonment issues
  • he constantly spoke to her very badly

Any girl would run away from this living red flag. As Se Mai Er said "A woman’s biggest fear is to give her heart to the wrong man!”". 

I think that the drama, unlike the novel, isn't explicit enough about XY's real dilemma and what this sentence coming from the Gao Xing Princess really implies. Because the real issue is XL and XY opposite loyalties. The drama (the novel did it brillantly) should have insisted on the tragic polarity of XL and XY loyalties by showing more situations where we could have seen how torn each of them was. It's on a Shakespearean level. Of course XL understood what was behind the appearance of XY's restrained confession and saw right through that there was more than him not conforming to the perfect man in a basic girl's daydream.

Even if most of these situations are found later on the novel, it could (and should have, in my humble opinion) still be done earlier (I think, for example, about when the Grand Emperor/the Yellow Emperor tried to dissuade XY from seeing XL). I hope we'll see this kind of situations with high dramatic potential in season 2 but I have very little faith based on the leaked script.

I really don't get why the drama make this sentence appear only when XL and XY are on male/female situations (on the beach, on XY's bed). and not when this sentence would take on its full meaning which is a matter of position first and foremost (by the way, FFB is not a red flag despite being a shameless playboy and unlike XL, doesn't have ties/loyalties).

nathsketch:

Imagine being an anti YaoLiu.

What has the world come to?

I think some of them got mad by what we said on here. It is a YaoLiu thread after all.

Elise:

I think some of them got mad by what we said on here. It is a YaoLiu thread after all.

I can relate. I was taking a look at their thread and it was enough to give me a headache.

That's on me, though. I'm in class and instead of focusing on my lessons, I'm intentionally putting myself through this torture. 

They can hate XL all they want but without him, XY would have died a long time ago.

blimarch:
Even if most of these situations are found later on the novel, it could (and should have, in my humble opinion) still be done earlier (I think, for example, about when the Grand Emperor/the Yellow Emperor tried to dissuade XY from seeing XL). I hope we'll see this kind of situations with high dramatic potential in season 2 but I have very little faith based on the leaked script.

Yeah. I think in the leaked script when XL prepares the poisoned arrow he uses assassinate Cang Xuan/Fenglong he flashes back to XY saying "you're not suitable to be in a girl's dream", and he just smiles sadly and says to himself "you said it so well". But it's a bit late and I don't feel like they managed to pull off the Shakespearean tragedy between XY and XL. 

To be honest, I don't even feel like the story of XY's parents is that much of a tragedy, to the point where everyone would keep saying "we have to make sure that kind of tragedy never happens again".  XY's parents don't even consider their own story to be a tragedy, but everyone else does for some reason. Sure, in the end XY became an orphan, but that's not because her parents had opposing stances. She became an orphan purely just because there was a war, and even if her parents were both from Xiyan they might both have died. Maybe I'm missing something.

Elise:

Huh, are people offended because we said things about Jing?

Then for the record, I think XL has tons of red flags. In fact, when he first appeared in episode 3, as soon as Feifei got killed, I was like I WILL NEVER FORGIVE THIS GUY NO MATTER WHAT. His behaviour later made me appreciate his character though, even though he's very clearly a very flawed person.

While XL has a million red flags, they're all out in the open for everyone to see. Jing really isn't a purely green flag like many people keep saying. It's just that Jing's red flags are more insidious and hidden below the surface, to the point where many people can't even tell they exist and think that Jing is an innocent puppy. 

To me personally, that's more scary than red flags that are obvious to everyone. But honestly, everyone on this show is an extremely flawed person, it's a big part of what makes it interesting to me. All the characters have a bunch of red flags lol. I don't want to start a war.

Elise:

They can hate XL all they want but without him, XY would have died a long time ago.

Both Jing and XY would have been dead like a million times if it wasn't for XL. I wonder how long they will be able to survive on their own after XL dies in the end. Surely no longer than 50 years? I honestly don't get the ending.

Like, XL saves Jing so that he can accompany XY forever. But surely XL must know that Jing can't stay alive on his own? Jing will be dead the next time someone inevitably conspires to kill him, because Jing is incapable of handling matters like that, and then XY will be alone again. How can XL leave her with a guy who isn't even capable of protecting himself from his enemies?? It's too irresponsible.

I hope I didn't start a war now lol

kitty_momo:
To be honest, I don't even feel like the story of XY's parents is that much of a tragedy, to the point where everyone would keep saying "we have to make sure that kind of tragedy never happens again". XY's parents don't even consider their own story to be a tragedy, but everyone else does for some reason. Sure, in the end XY became an orphan, but that's not because her parents had opposing stances. She became an orphan purely just because there was a war, and even if her parents were both from Xiyan they might both have died. Maybe I'm missing something.

I can relate. Personally, I was racking my brain to find an alternative solution for XiaoLiu. Why couldn't our sneaky XY or our strategist XL come up with another plan instead of assuming that there was just one fate (CX's death or XL's death)? Maybe...

• XY could have deposed both Emperors (I don't think they would have mind, seeing how they think so highly of her), seek power for herself (with the blessing of CX, achieving their promise to protect each other) while allowing Chenrong to have their own sovereignty (Hong Jiang would have stfu by then - yes, we all hate him here)
  • or XY could have convinced CX to pursue his dream career in the crafts (carpenter, winemaker). No CX's life threatened, no problem! If this solution was planned before WXL became XY, she wouldn't have give a damn about the 2 Emperors and would have stand by XL's side.

I'm not sure to what extent these plans are viable (and I haven't read Once Promised so I can't measure all the variables in the story).

kitty_momo:
But it's a bit late and I don't feel like they managed to pull off the Shakespearean tragedy between XY and XL.

Compared to the novel, this leaked script, with all its distorsions, is very dedramatic and toned-down.

kitty_momo:

Both Jing and XY would have been dead like a million times if it wasn't for XL. I wonder how long they will be able to survive on their own after XL dies in the end. Surely no longer than 50 years? I honestly don't get the ending.

Like, XL saves Jing so that he can accompany XY forever. But surely XL must know that Jing can't stay alive on his own? Jing will be dead the next time someone inevitably conspires to kill him, because Jing is incapable of handling matters like that, and then XY will be alone again. How can XL leave her with a guy who isn't even capable of protecting himself from his enemies?? It's too irresponsible.

Facts don't start wars. Lies do.

Elise:

Sorry, I used the wrong words. I didn't mean hate, I meant criticize ??? I think I made some people mad saying "hate". Sorry ?Of course we can criticize any characters, say our opinions about them.

kitty_momo:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions <3

Kitty, I think we both started the war oops. Ah well at least it's not in the public comments section.

I haven't said much on the subiect, but I kept reading you guys and I agree with everything you all said. 

blimarch:
XY could have deposed both Emperors (I don't think they would have mind, seeing how they think so highly of her), seek power for herself (with the blessing of CX, achieving their promise to protect each other) while allowing Chenrong to have their own sovereignty (Hong Jiang would have stfu by then - yes, we all hate him here)

If only women having power was an option in this universe... that would be so nice. I like the idea of Chenrong having their own sovereignty so Hong Jiang will stfu, though I'm not sure even that would make him stfu. Is there anything in this world that will make Hong Jiang stfu? Probably not. Sigh.

blimarch:
or XY could have convinced CX to pursue his dream career in the crafts (carpenter, winemaker). No CX's life threatened, no problem! If this solution was planned before WXL became XY, she wouldn't have give a damn about the 2 Emperors and would have stand by XL's side.

Yes, this would be a fun story to watch. CX should be like WXL and live peacefully while hiding his identity, instead of insisting he needs power to protect XY (when she was WXL, she was living just fine and didn't need any protection). They should both have stayed in Qingshiui Town!

Another option would be that Hong Jiang grows a fucking conscience and forces XL to leave their foolish pursuit, because I feel like that's what an adoptive father would do for his son. It's clear that XL would never be selfish enough to leave unless his hand is forced, and Hong Jiang should know that. As a last resort he could knock XL out and send him away for his own good before the battle, like CX tried to do with XY before the coronation. XY and XL are very similar in that regard, they need to have their hand forced for their own good.

I feel like there should be lots of options, XL really isn't the kind of person that just surrenders to fate. I really feel like XY could have used her negotiating power with all the emperors and the Lover's Bug to force some sort of compromise where Hong Jiang gets to have a tiny sovereign Chenrong and stfu.

Or maybe Hong Jiang could finally adapt to reality and surrender now that all the people are living  in peace, but of course we all know that won't ever happen.