Minny Me.11:

Maybe just maybe that red robes TJC is wearing is true. Like wedding for XY and XL coz if they made it like just a dream. They be breaking our hearts all over again... ????

I think that was for the variety show, Hello Saturday. Not sure, tho. But people commented TJC waving at some fans in that red outfit was during the filming/recording of HS.

But it's still a good alternative ending for us if they do get married in the show ~ (:

So.

Watching the walk of pain from Episode 34 far too many times and thinking far too much about XL ... We've talked about how self sacrificing XL is when it comes to XY and his unrelenting loyalty to the thrice cursed, invisible Gong Gong being the major obstacle between them.  But I also get the feeling that XL has something of an inferiority complex about being a demon.  And between some things that XY herself has said, and some of his actions, he doesn't feel worthy of her.

Am I imagining that, or do you see it too, or is it in the novel?

I have that some similar thought about him too. XL is a demon who has been abandoned too since young, abused and never taught self worthy till he met Gong Gong and took on FFB’s role; where he encountered parental love. Possibly he feels inferior to be able to give XY happiness as he only knows war and fight. Hence he relates and fell for XY so quickly because they have similar struggles when young, fight to survive. 

But I also felt as he knows his own faith, which is to die at war, he truly wish XY have all his happiness and don’t be stuck by the cruelty of war.

So his sacrifice to bring happiness to XY in a way is also an inner fulfillment for himself, a wish that as long between the two of them, one have a happy ending. That’s my take.

I wonder what’s the rest of the novel readers think?

Kokuto:

So.

Watching the walk of pain from Episode 34 far too many times and thinking far too much about XL ... We've talked about how self sacrificing XL is when it comes to XY and his unrelenting loyalty to the thrice cursed, invisible Gong Gong being the major obstacle between them.  But I also get the feeling that XL has something of an inferiority complex about being a demon.  And between some things that XY herself has said, and some of his actions, he doesn't feel worthy of her.

Are you talking about that emotional scene of YaoLiu after the slave arena?

But speaking of an inferiority complex about being a demon, I think XL does feel this on many visible occasions. One, during that "I'm scared of you," by XY after XL learned she's the princess of Haoling and tried to kinda drown her, where he misunderstood it as scared of him coz he's a demon, at first.

Two, (this is more evident in Ep. 37), XL says, "All villains start out like ordinary young men" and XY answered back, "You are not a villain." And the subtle mix look of surprise/shock/relief on his face. Then he grabbed her hand and they jump into the sea. While they were underwater with the almost-kiss scene and when XY finally realized she can breathe in the water, she yelled at him, "XL, you did it on purpose. Why are you doing this to me? I hate you." You can see XL's change in expression and he angrily says, "This is the price you pay to survive, becoming a monster." AGAIN, here, he's misunderstanding what XY actually meant as she was talking about how she's mad at him for playing her again, not the part where she is now able to breathe underwater like him.

So, yes, XL sees himself as bad just coz he's a demon, and people regard him as such. Until, ofc, he met XY who sees the goodness in him ~

Someone explain to me about the insects? XL can't keep her because of the bugs? For the insect to be in both, does it mean that they already loved each other? I want concrete answers, not guesswork, please!

I am really confused by the significance of the big bellied laughing doll that XL gave to XY as a wedding present.

Anyone has any idea about its significance?

Cerejeira:

Someone explain to me about the insects? XL can't keep her because of the bugs? For the insect to be in both, does it mean that they already loved each other? I want concrete answers, not guesswork, please!

IIRC, there's a full discussion further back in the topic about the Poison Love Bugs.  The short story is that they are a pair, and they only will go into people who have love for each other.

chase_kayden  VIP

But speaking of an inferiority complex about being a demon, I think XL does feel this on many visible occasions. One, during that "I'm scared of you," by XY after XL learned she's the princess of Haoling and tried to kinda drown her, where he misunderstood it as scared of him coz he's a demon, at first.

Two, (this is more evident in Ep. 37), XL says, "All villains start out like ordinary young men" and XY answered back, "You are not a villain." And the subtle mix look of surprise/shock/relief on his face. Then he grabbed her hand and they jump into the sea. While they were underwater with the almost-kiss scene and when XY finally realized she can breathe in the water, she yelled at him, "XL, you did it on purpose. Why are you doing this to me? I hate you." You can see XL's change in expression and he angrily says, "This is the price you pay to survive, becoming a monster." AGAIN, here, he's misunderstanding what XY actually meant as she was talking about how she's mad at him for playing her again, not the part where she is now able to breathe underwater like him.

So, yes, XL sees himself as bad just coz he's a demon, and people regard him as such. Until, ofc, he met XY who sees the goodness in him ~

Yes, after Left Ear wins his freedom.  So much heartbreak.  SOB.

I have only seen the raw Episode 37+   I'll have to track down an english sub tonight.  I do remember loving the underwater scenes in there.  But yes, even when he was healing her in the clam shell, he was worried she was going to hate him for making her like him, which was an earlier hint.  But it goes back to him telling her why he was sensitive about the 9 heads thing being mentioned, and it was because of the contempt he felt from most about it.

But yes, the "I'm scared of you ... in my dreams" scene on the beach, is where it seemed he accepted it was because he was a demon.

Megumi-H:

I have that some similar thought about him too. XL is a demon who has been abandoned too since young, abused and never taught self worthy till he met Gong Gong and took on FFB’s role; where he encountered parental love. Possibly he feels inferior to be able to give XY happiness as he only knows war and fight. Hence he relates and fell for XY so quickly because they have similar struggles when young, fight to survive. 

But I also felt as he knows his own faith, which is to die at war, he truly wish XY have all his happiness and don’t be stuck by the cruelty of war.

So his sacrifice to bring happiness to XY in a way is also an inner fulfillment for himself, a wish that as long between the two of them, one have a happy ending. That’s my take.

I wonder what’s the rest of the novel readers think?

I think this world's demons probably have less emotional baggage than humans.  It's living amongst humans that seems to cause issues for XL.  Especially given that most of his existence, both in the demon and human world, is about fighting and death.  Which may be more why he feels that is his only end.  He really hasn't experienced anything that would make him believe there was another life.  Sort of a, 'you have to see it to dream it' thing. 

That's why I found the "I'm afraid of you ... not a man for a girl's dreams" scene so heart breaking.  I think, up until that point, XL had a small hope that he could have another life, but it was utterly crushed by XY's half-expected rejection.  I mean, there's way's out of his end, but he has to have a reason to fight for them.

I agree.  His take on love, is that XY should be happy.  How he feels is unimportant ... in part because he's a demon, in part because attempting to be part of that only makes XY stressed and not as happy.  Plus, he tends to listen to XY, and trust that what she tells him, is what she actually wants to be happy.... which isn't always the case.

I also wonder how demons cultivate spirit power.  It seems standard to eat their way power.  So, does that mean XL is different?  Cause he can get it from poison and from human ways (meditation?) too?

Kokuto:
Yes, after Left Ear wins his freedom.  So much heartbreak.  SOB.

I have only seen the raw Episode 37+   I'll have to track down an english sub tonight.  I do remember loving the underwater scenes in there.  But yes, even when he was healing her in the clam shell, he was worried she was going to hate him for making her like him, which was an earlier hint.  But it goes back to him telling her why he was sensitive about the 9 heads thing being mentioned, and it was because of the contempt he felt from most about it.

But yes, the "I'm scared of you ... in my dreams" scene on the beach, is where it seemed he accepted it was because he was a demon.

Oops, sorry if I spoiled you with the bits of Ep. 37 ?  Ep. 37 has a nice YaoLiu moment. At least it wasn't another tear-jerking moment ?coz I swear when XL became "too human" in the form of FFB, my heart has always been shattering for him when it comes to his scenes, almost as if like I don't see the demon, Xiang Liu, but merely Fang Feng Bei.

I saw the demon for a moment again in Ep. 37 ~ quite a nostalgic feeling, actually.

chase_kayden  VIP

Oops, sorry if I spoiled you with the bits of Ep. 37 ?  Ep. 37 has a nice YaoLiu moment. At least it wasn't another tear-jerking moment ?coz I swear when XL became "too human" in the form of FFB, my heart has always been shattering for him when it comes to his scenes, almost as if like I don't see the demon, Xiang Liu, but merely Fang Feng Bei.

I saw the demon for a moment again in Ep. 37 ~ quite a nostalgic feeling, actually.

Oh no, it's okay.  I've seen it, I just haven't seen it with subs.

I feel the same.  I mean, I know they are the same person ... but they are not.  I also love it when XL peeks out of FFB, and not in obvious ways, like the red eye glare in Episode 36 ... which may be the first time we've seen FFB do that, I think?  But when Tan Jian Ci's expression and posture or movement changes.  It's like that piece AH quoted, about FFB donning the aloof, freezing  XL armor.  The actor does such a great job with this character.

Kokuto:

So.

I think he might because he kept mentioning how she will hate him when she regained consciousness because of her new demon features.  

Ari_Lee:

I think he might because he kept mentioning how she will hate him when she regained consciousness because of her new demon features.  

Which is kind of odd, given how some go to great expense to get those demon powers, like the demon fish core, that allows them to breath underwater.

It's interesting how the author gave each of the male characters fears of their innate inferiority, which they each handle differently.

Ari_Lee:

Spot on.  Xiao Yao drank XL's blood so she had the demonic features.  

Soooooo,

I'm guessing that XL doesn't know XY is half demon?  It seems like he should know that, given the properties of his demon blood.  It also seems like XY should already have some demon abilities.