Kokuto:

Soooooo,

I'm guessing that XL doesn't know XY is half demon?  It seems like he should know that, given the properties of his demon blood.  It also seems like XY should already have some demon abilities.

He finds out when XY finds out who her dad is. She tells him. But at this point, I don't think he knows she's half-demon. 

Also, something that's been confusing me about demons, in general, is if a non-demon and a demon have a kid, what kind of half-demon is the kid? 

Or for instance, if XL and XY had a kid, would the kid also be a snake demon? 

I've wondered about the demon-mixing too. For example, if XY (half-demon, half-deity, and then XL's blood mixed in there) and TSJ (9 tail fox) procreated, how would the offspring turn out?

Looking at Tushan Jin and Hou, for example-- Jing is a 9 tail fox, Hou is a tiger. They have the same father, different mothers. Was Jing's mom also a 9 tail fox? How does this all work?

Sirry Usly:

He finds out when XY finds out who her dad is. She tells him. But at this point, I don't think he knows she's half-demon. 

Also, something that's been confusing me about demons, in general, is if a non-demon and a demon have a kid, what kind of half-demon is the kid? 

Or for instance, if XL and XY had a kid, would the kid also be a snake demon? 

I would think a snake demon ... I mean, wouldn't come with the parent?

Ah, cool.  I'm curious to see that conversation happen.  Maybe some of my questions will be answered.

SlytherinGirl:

I've wondered about the demon-mixing too. For example, if XY (half-demon, half-deity, and then XL's blood mixed in there) and TSJ (9 tail fox) procreated, how would the offspring turn out?

Looking at Tushan Jin and Hou, for example-- Jing is a 9 tail fox, Hou is a tiger. They have the same father, different mothers. Was Jing's mom also a 9 tail fox? How does this all work?

Hou is a tiger?  I thought the whole Tu Shan clan were supposed to have been descended from the fox?  But I don't think Jing is a fox demon.  He's just got fox demon blood.  Unless they consider 9 tail foxes deities and not demons?

But lets say he's descended from a fox demon ... he DOES have abilities that seem to come from that side, like his tracking.  Maybe his cunning.  And that's why I'm wondering if XY has certain demon abilities?  I guess that also depends on what kind of demon her dad was?

Kokuto:
It also seems like XY should already have some demon abilities.

If I remember correctly, the part of XY that causes / allows her to change her appearance so seamlessly even with low spirit power is something she got from her dad. 

Edit: The face forming flower that the King of Haoling and her mother used to hide her true appearance was won by her biological father (Chi You) and gifted to her mother. 

Being a XL fan means you get FOUR different versions of the character!

https://twitter.com/Berries2002/status/1692033295326790124?s=20

AH :

If I remember correctly, the part of XY that causes / allows her to change her appearance so seamlessly even with low spirit power is something she got from her dad. 

Ah.  Interesting.  She's a chameleon demon!

I figured that the secret appearance weapon that got embedded in her was keeping her from sprouting horns or extra heads that her dad might have had.

mparthur:

I am really confused by the significance of the big bellied laughing doll that XL gave to XY as a wedding present.

Anyone has any idea about its significance?

XY takes a treasure (poisonous ice essence) and carves it + combines it with other poisons. The result is a beautiful ice crystal ball with a scene inside of it depicting a mermaid stretching out her hand to a merman who, instead of looking at her, is looking out of the ice crystal. It took four years for XY to re-seal the ice crystal ball so that it was seamless. It was the epitome of a labour of love.

When XY gets engaged to FL (the more formal one - where they set a wedding date), XY sends the ice crystal ball to XL (and pays a premium to basically get rush shipping) along with a letter saying that she is getting married in two months and this will be the last poison she sends to him. Then she spends a while anxiously waiting for him to show up. Her father delays the engagement announcement and gives XY seven days to think about whether she really wants to go through with it. XY spends most of that time watching the ocean, clearly waiting for XL to show up. But he never does. At the end of the seven days, XY tells her father that she wants to go ahead with the wedding and her engagement is announced.

The news spreads quickly because the wedding is between such prominent figures and is a huge deal. We next see XL drinking and doing business at a brothel. When he overhears other patrons gossiping about XY's engagement, XL excuses himself and walks outside into the misting rain. He walks to a river bank and then stares at the river for a long time. He looks down and sees that the misting rain is collecting around the ice crystal ball in his hand (clearly he received XY's package and letter) - making the scene inside even more enchanting and beautiful. XL takes a finger and places at the edge of the ice crystal ball so that, from the right angle, it looks like his finger is meeting the mermaid's outstretched hand. But of course, in reality, the crystal separates them. They are from two different worlds and can never truly be together. 

(Can you see why XY is frustrated with XL for crashing her wedding instead of showing up to get her way earlier? She gave him so much notice and he received it, and yet!)

Anyway, many chapters and lots of drama later, shortly before his death, XL carves a big-bellied, laughing wooden doll  out of magical wood. The wood has fire properties that perfectly counter the crystal ball's ice properties. XL carves his good wishes for XY (ones that echo back to a conversation they had at their very first meeting and that clarify that he has spent decades trying to help her get the things she didn't have back then) into the ice crystal, but then he puts the crystal inside the doll and seals it so perfectly that no one would ever know that the ice crystal ball was inside it. Then he sends the doll to Sir Bi to give to XY as a wedding present. Although she doesn't know the significance of it, she takes it with her when she runs away with TSJ in the end. 

Basically the ice crystal ball is the physical proof of XY's feelings. XL kept it with him until the end and then he carved the most poignant wishes into it. He returns it to XY, but does so in a way that ensures that XY will never know that ice crystal ball is inside the doll, will never see the wishes that XL carved into it, and will never know that XL was the one who sent it to her. It's peak heart-crushing angst fodder!

Just reading about the above crystal ball and the big belly doll, the actual symbolic representation of XY and XL’s love, just make me so sad. XL’s action really breaks my heart. 

Thanks for posting it, I wonder how it will be done in this drama for S2, hopefully it will show the significance and not just quick scenes.

So if XY is a chameleon and XL is a snake, they will really make a good pair;) both reptilian.

Megumi-H:
I wonder how it will be done in this drama for S2, hopefully it will show the significance and not just quick scenes.

I haven't watched the episode yet, but I saw something about TSJ being the person who tells XL / FFB about XY's engagement. Which has me worried that they're going to cut the ice crystal ball and letter out of the narrative entirely (and maybe use XY's tear-pearl for the wedding gift somehow?). I will be very sad if they cut it. 

AH :

I haven't watched the episode yet, but I saw something about TSJ being the person who tells XL / FFB about XY's engagement. Which has me worried that they're going to cut the ice crystal ball and letter out of the narrative entirely (and maybe use XY's tear-pearl for the wedding gift somehow?). I will be very sad if they cut it. 

I will be MORE than sad. I will so mad. :(

AH :

I'll be very frustrated...but then the scene with her in the red dress sitting by that one spot she and XL always sit at, by the jail, would not make sense. Do you guys know the picture I am talking about? 

I really hope they don't make Jing tell him....

Kokuto:
I will be MORE than sad. I will so mad. :(

They've cut or changed so many things that I liked from the novel I'm getting used to it. I'm trying to just appreciate my favourite parts from both.

Kokuto:

chase_kayden  VIP

Oops, sorry if I spoiled you with the bits of Ep. 37 ?  Ep. 37 has a nice YaoLiu moment. At least it wasn't another tear-jerking moment ?coz I swear when XL became "too human" in the form of FFB, my heart has always been shattering for him when it comes to his scenes, almost as if like I don't see the demon, Xiang Liu, but merely Fang Feng Bei.

I saw the demon for a moment again in Ep. 37 ~ quite a nostalgic feeling, actually.

Oh no, it's okay.  I've seen it, I just haven't seen it with subs.

I feel the same.  I mean, I know they are the same person ... but they are not.  I also love it when XL peeks out of FFB, and not in obvious ways, like the red eye glare in Episode 36 ... which may be the first time we've seen FFB do that, I think?  But when Tan Jian Ci's expression and posture or movement changes.  It's like that piece AH quoted, about FFB donning the aloof, freezing  XL armor.  The actor does such a great job with this character.

Oh, that's good then.

Yep, TJC is phenomenal in his roles as FFB and XL. He can nail different personalities.

AH :

Gosh, I hope they don't cut the crystal ball and the bellied doll. But when you mentioned the tear pearl, looks like things will be changed in the drama.

I skimmed through that episode and haven't watched it fully, but yeah, TSJ was moping when FFB appeared and he mentioned the engagement of FL and XY. I'm guessing that didn't happen in the novel then?

I don't wanna hope then in S2 that they would give all the good YaoLiu moments but am gonna be VERY SAD.

AH :

I don't think they are going to cut the ice crystal ball and letter out of the show.  As Sirry Usly  said, there's the scene off XY waiting on the rock by the sea.  Plus, there's pics of XL holding up what looks like a little wooden sculpture -- which would fit what you posted about.  I'll try to find links of them.

Here's the English Subbed trailer for Episode 39 which is the scene with Jing and FFB talking about the engagement.  It takes place around the investiture of Feng Long as chief, I believe.  Perhaps the actual engagement hasn't been settled, or the wedding date, and she doesn't send XL the ice crystal until it's official?

https://youtu.be/Dz2W1GqZlgw?si=n7sRzDoWYyCVujpM&t=138