solarlunareclipse:
Jing is 0/3 here. Also, Jing already had a wife and child.

Jing shared some good time with XY in chapter 19-20. He was almost dying with her since he thought she was dead. By this point I would gave hime 1/3.

Ignore the middle part where he scored 0 due to his mess with FFYY after he woke up.

However after XY helped him to get rid of FFYY and they reunioned. He was quite cordinated with what she wanted. He brought her out, traveling from Xuan Yuan to Haoling, he accompanied her in the trip to Chi Sui dessert, Baili. They spent 42 years peaceful together after engagement. Thus I would give him 1.5-2/3. Deduction point due to the fact that  they had nothing in common.

solarlunareclipse:
Xin Yue pitied Xiao Yao because Cang Xuan was planning to attack Gao Xin. It had nothing to do with her thinking FL would not treat XY well. The fact that FL wouldn't make her life more interesting was a moot point since Jing couldn't do that either.

Xing Yue knew that XY did not love FL. I always thought that she felt pity for XY's future because XY didn't love FL and FL would be work-addicted thus he would not spend much time with her (that is what I mean FL would not treat XY well). 

I don't think when XY married and lived with FL, CX would be crazy and tried to get her back. CX consider FL as his only true friend who played crucial role to his success. Thus he finally granted the permission for the marriage. FL was the only man that he entrusted XY to. 

H19279:
don't think when XY married and lived with FL, CX would be crazy and tried to get her back. CX consider FL as his only true friend who played crucial role to his success. Thus he finally granted the permission for the marriage. FL was the only man that he entrusted XY to.

I wonder if knowing XY didn't love Feng Long played a part in CX granting that permission?

H19279:
I always thought that she felt pity for XY's future because XY didn't love FL and FL would be work-addicted thus he would not spend much time with her (that is what I mean FL would not treat XY well). 

Feng Long mentions Cang Xuan attacking Gao Xin right before Xing Yue mentions pitying Xiao Yao.

But Xing Yue still couldn’t feel relaxed so she went to see Feng Long and asked when her brother was going to marry Xiao Yao. Thank goodness her brother’s answer made her happy because he said he was just thinking the same thing.

Feng Long sighed “If I want to marry it ought to be now otherwise it’ll have to wait until the war is over and by then it’s not clear if Xiao Yao will marry me.”

Xing Yue asked “What do you mean?”

“You have to keep this secret.”

Xing Yue nodded “Gege you know you can trust me to keep silent.”

Feng Long said “Seeing Zhuan Xu’s moves recently, I think 
he’s planning to attack Gao Xing.”

Xing Yue’s eyes widened and Feng Long smiled “That’s why I told you to never underestimate Zhuan Xu. He is a very scary man!”

After her shock passed Xing Yue felt ecstatic, like she was already able to sneer at Xiao Yao’s upcoming fate.

When Feng Long told Xing Yue that Xiao Yao agreed to get married she asked “What did His majesty say?”

Feng Long replied “Both majesties gave their consent.”

Xing Yue finally felt relieved, she really did conjure up too much in her own night. That night it was just Zhuan Xu’s passionate sigh that she heard wrong.

Xing Yue went to Xiao Yue Summit to visit Xiao Yao with a feeling like she was above Xiao Yao’s fate in life, feeling happy and pitying her at the same time. Xiao Yao didn’t know why Xing Yue’s attitude was so odd this time but she felt Xing Yue was suddenly nicer to her because she was marrying Feng Long soon.

solarlunareclipse:
Feng Long mentions Cang Xuan attacking Gao Xin right before Xing Yue mentions pitying Xiao Yao.

I need to finish reading this book, but it's strange that one of the big reasons XY doesn't want to XL to enter her dreams, because he's her family's enemy, but she's not much bothered by CX  making daddy emperor and Anian an enemy.

Kokuto:
I need to finish reading this book, but it's strange that one of the big reasons XY doesn't want to XL to enter her dreams, because he's her family's enemy, but she's not much bothered by CX  making daddy emperor and Anian an enemy.

Xiao Yao was very angry with Cang Xuan, but there was nothing she could do to stop him. Plus CX was the most important person that XY wanted to protect and vowed to her mother, grandmother, etc. to protect. XY chose CX over XL from the beginning. She started distancing herself from XL and admitted to being scared of him immediately after she discovered Xuan's real identity. 

Xiao Yao lowered her head dejectedly “Jing, whatever shall I do?”

“Do you have the confidence to get the Black Emperor to withdraw his troops?”

Xiao Yao shook her head. She knew Zhuan Xu too well, whatever he wanted no one could stop him.

“Do you want to stand with Gao Xing and fight back against Xuan Yuan?”

Xiao Yao shook her head “I only know medicine and poisons, what ability do I have? Plus 
I may hate what Zhuan Xu is doing but I will never help others against Zhuan Xu.

-- Vol 3 Ch 5 (Chapter 38)

Also, CX deliberately forced King Gao Xin to remove XY from the Gao Xin family register by spreading the rumor that XY was Chi Chen's daughter, so she had no legitimate tie to King Gao Xin anymore.

That’s why a war that should have began three years ago got delayed time and again until now. That’s why he was willing to alert the Grand Emperor to his war intentions and sever Xiao Yao’s connection with him as father-daughter first.

Xiao Yao also couldn't do anything when CX attacked the Shen Nong Remnant Army, even though she loved XL with her whole heart.

Xiao Yao sighed loudly “You guys think His Majesty does whatever I ask but that’s only because I know him too well and never ask for something he won’t agree to. Like before when he attacked Gao Xing, and now when he’s going to attack……” Xiao Yao stopped herself before continuing “I’m well aware that even if I ask him not to attack he will not agree.” That’s why this time, unlike when he attacked Gao Xing and she was angry at him, now she could only silently and despondently look on as Zhuan Xu sent an army to attack Gong Gong and Xiang Liu’s resistance army.

-- Vol 3 Ch 13 (Chapter 46)

Kokuto:

XY was definitely much bothered by it.

• She threw a chalice at CX's head so hard that it caused extensive bleeding and left behind a terrible bruise despite CX's high spiritual power and ability to self-heal the wound. 
  • She completely avoided seeing CX for a long time. 
  • She only stopped avoiding CX after she agreed to marry TSJ and realized the time she would have with CX (living with him) would not last forever. 
  • She initially refused to visit Gao Xing with CX and only did so because of TSJ. When she went, she didn't want to talk to CX until she saw how he had conducted the war. 

But there are some major differences between: (1) XY not ending her relationship with CX after he attacked Gao Xing on the one hand; and (2) XY telling XL that he is not a man who is suitable to enter a young girl's dreams, partly because he was her family's enemy, on the other hand. 

(1) Her relationship with CX was already very firmly established centuries before he invaded Gao Xing.

XY knew that XL was the Yellow Emperor's and CX's enemy from the moment she first met him. And, as far as she knew at the time, he held a leadership position in the army that had killed her mother. 

Whereas XY and CX met and became close with one another almost 400 years before CX invaded Gao Xing. For a time, they were each other's only supports, they made promises to their soon-to-be-deceased family members that they would always support one another, and they each thought about each other throughout their 300 year separation. 

When XY met XL, she already knew he was her family's enemy, so she could at least try to stop herself from falling for / getting too close to XL from the get go. Much good it did her. 

Whereas XY couldn't do the same with CX. When he invaded Gao Xing, they already had a ~400 year old relationship that they both openly acknowledged as being incredibly close. 

(2) From XY's perspective, her relationship with CX was not in danger of becoming romantic

CX was someone that XY desparately missed during their 300 year separation, and she used thoughts of him to distract her from her own pain and suffering. She also told him, when they were children, that she would marry him one day. But there never seemed to be any risk that CX would enter XY's dreams in the role of a romantic suitor. He already had the role of her gege. And when he later revealed his romantic feelings for XY to XY, she was horrified. So I think we can safely say that, at least from her perspective, her relationship with CX was non-romantic both before and after CX temporarily became Ah Nian and the Grand Emperor's enemy. 

With XL, XY maintained a certain type of relationship with him despite knowing from the get-go that he was her family's enemy. At his request (sometimes accompanied by threats), she made poisons for him and helped him obtain medicine for his soldiers. When she needed to diffuse his anger or other bad moods, she confided in him and shared some of her most vulnerable thoughts and feelings with him. Before she knew that CX was CX, she helped XL deal with CX. Overall, XY could pretend (to others and even to herself) that her relationship with XL was not romantic, at least until XL tried to force her, in her female form, to choose between kissing him or drowning. It was only at that point that she felt that she had to refuse him and, when forced, explained herself to XL with her dream comment. 

Having a non-romantic relationship with her family's enemy seems to be tolerable in XY's books, as long as the "enemy" is not directly and imminently threatening her most precious people. Having a romantic relationship with her family's enemy seems to be crossing a line. I personally believe that XY's perception here is at least partly tied to her fear of abandonment and her view (as far as I can tell) that admitting to romantic love or entering into a romantic relationship leads to extreme vulnerability and exposes a person to the danger of being abandoned in a way that differs from platonic or ambiguous relationships. 

(3) CX was more family to XY than the Grand Emperor or Ah Nian. CX and XY also each had their own very complicated relationships with Ah Nian and the Grand Emperor, as well as Gao Xing

CX was XY's cousin by blood. The Grand Emperor helped raise XY when she was a small child, but he and Ah Nian aren't related to XY by blood. Which was emphasized XY, shortly before the war between Xuan Yuan and Gao Xing, when it became widely known that XY was Chi You's daughter and the Grand Emperor publicly expelled XY from his family registry. Why did XY's true parentage become widely known? Because CX intentionally spread the word, partly to protect XY and partly to distance XY from the Grand Emperor before Xuan Yuan invaded Gao Xing. 

And CX and XY both have a very complicated relationship with the Grand Emperor and Gao Xing. CX spent more time living in Gao Xing and being raised by the Grand Emperor than XY. CX was present when Ah Nian was born, and was a big brother to her for centuries. He is much closer to Ah Nian than XY is. The Grand Emperor gave CX shelter when he needed it, while he left XY on Jade Mountain. In some ways CX is closer to the Grand Emperor and Gao Xing than XY is. And as CX tells XY after she finds out about his invasion of Gao Xing, the Grand Emperor took actions (and failed to take actions) that ended up deeply hurting both of them. The Grand Emperor was once in a position where he could have taken actions that might have prevented the deaths of CX's parents and XY's parents, but refused to take that action even when Ah Heng begged him and cut off her pinky finger. Although he was generally a doting father figure to XY, he was also a ruthless man who killed his own father, his own brothers, and their children. 

In short, XY was closer to CX than she was to the Grand Emperor or Ah Nian. CX himself was, in some ways, closer to the Grand Emperor, Ah Nian, and the kingdom of Gao Xing than XY was to any of them. And CX even did his best to weaken the family ties between XY and the Grand Emperor, which solidified his position above the Grand Emperor in the hierarchy of XY's closest family members.

(4) The threat that CX posed to XY's family members / country was different from the threat that XL posed to her family members / country. 

CX was the Emperor of the country that XY most belonged to (Xuan Yuan) and the war he waged against Gao Xing in order to force Gao Xing to unify with Xuan Yuan was widely viewed as both inevitable and necessary to ensure the long term peace and security of Dahuang. I personally think that both CX and the Yellow Emperor started unnecessary wars and should be remembered as warmongers and blamed for the unnecessary suffering that their wars of conquest caused, but I digress. Noteably, XY seems to mostly forgive CX for invading Gao Xing when she goes to Gao Xing and sees how he has conducted the war and very intentionally made efforts to minimize the impact of the war on Gao Xing's civilians. 

XL chose to join the Shengnong remnant army, the army of a country that he and XY both have no direct person ties to, and to fight for them and their cause mainly because of his relationship with its commanding general. The fight that the Shengnong army fought in order to try to recreate the conquored kingdom of Shengnong was viewed by XY and most of the people around her as a cause that was futile, caused unnecessary death and suffering, and posed a threat to the long term peace and security of Dahuang. 

And CX's war purposely never posed a direct and imminent threat to the safety of Ah Nian or the Grand Emperor. Even when Ah Nian tries to assassinate leaders of Xuan Yuan's army and gets captured and taken back to a Gao Xing war camp (where she confronts XY and CX), there is never any suggestion that her safety was ever in even the slightest bit of danger from CX. 

Whereas XL tried to personally assassinate CX on multiple occassions. 

-----

Chapter 38:

Xiao Yao sipped her wine. “Grandfather, Jing, and those doctors here, everyone is being weird. What’s going on outside?”

Zhuan Xu played with his chalice and said nothing as he stared at the wine colors reflecting in the glass.

Xiao Yao said, “If I head down the mountain I’ll know everything so I just want to hear it from you.”

Zhuan Xu gulped down all the wine in his glass and sat up straight on the pallet. He stared at Xiao Yao and said, “I gave the order to attack Gao Xing.”

Xiao Yao’s smile froze. She had thought Zhuan Xu did something because of her real birth identity but who knew… Xiao Yao thought she heard wrong. “Zhuan Xu, repeat that again.”

Zhuan Xu said, “I gave the order to attack Gao Xing.”

Xiao Yao bolted up and threw the glass chalice in her hand at Zhuan Xu’s head.

The glass chalice struck Zhuan Xu’s head hard and the purple red wine splashed all over his hair and face.

Xiao Yao turned and ran off and Zhuan Xu didn’t even bother to wipe his face before bolting after Xiao Yao.

Xiao Yao ran into her room and slammed the door hard in Zhuan Xu’s face. Zhuan Xu pounded on the door “Xiao Yao, Xiao Yao…..”

Xiao Yao used her back to keep the door closed and refused to let Zhuan Xu in.

“Xiao Yao, listen to me.”

“Listen to you what? Are you going to say that when our four uncles were trying to kill you back then you ran to Gao Xing and it was the Grand Emperor who took you in? Are you going to say that he took you as a disciple to teach you the zither, to govern, to train your secret guards?”

“Xiao Yao, you don’t understand!”

“I don’t understand what? Tell me what! Did I say anything that wasn’t true?”

What you just said is all true but there is a lot more you don’t know. If it wasn’t for him then I wouldn’t even be an orphan in the first place, why would I need him to take me in? You also wouldn’t have needed to wander the world alone for three hundred years.”

Xiao Yao was stunned. “I don’t understand.”

“When Auntie told you about the past she must have been very detailed in telling you all about your real dad. But she must have said nothing about what happened in the past with the Grand Emperor, right? Maybe Auntie already forgave him or maybe Auntie wanted to protect you and not let you know.”

“What past things? What are you trying to say?”

“Do you know why our Eldest Uncle was mistakenly killed by your real father?”

“Mom said Eldest Uncle wanted to force Grandfather to abdicate so he had Mom concoct a potion for him that would cause a god to be unable to use his powers for a few months. Who knew Eldest Uncle would accidentally drink the potion himself and that is why he couldn’t protect himself against my father.”

“It’s not Eldest Uncle who wanted Grandfather to abdicate. It was Master who convinced Eldest Uncle to do that! He also was the one who got Auntie to make the potion and he handed it to Eldest Uncle. When Auntie was making the potion she didn’t know Eldest Uncle was going to use it. That was a potion that Auntie made for Master so that he could successfully force the former Grand Emperor to abdicate. When the former Grand Emperor was forcefully locked up in his palace and then mysteriously died, do you know why there was the Five Prince Rebellion afterwards? Or why Master used such a bloody approach to deal with his own brothers? Now there is no talk about how Master became the Grand Emperor but Xiao Yao, back then you lived on Five Gods Mountain so look deep into your own memory. You must still remember the former Grand Emperor, the one you called grandfather as well. He was murdered by Master! That is why the Five Princes revolted!”

Xiao Yao wanted to deny it that but the broken memory fragments in her mind confirmed for her that what Zhuan Xu said was true. She remembered the former Grand Emperor that she used to call grandfather. She actually witnessed the moment he died and she remembered that her mom tearfully slapped her dad hard afterwards.

Zhuan Xu sorrowfully continued, “If it wasn’t for Master then our Eldest Uncle would not have died. If Eldest Uncle didn’t die, then the chasm between your mom and real father wouldn’t have been so impossible to bridge!”

Xiao Yao leaned against the door and wearily said, “It’s not all dad’s fault.”

“Then what about my dad! When Auntie discovered Zhu Rong’s nefarious plan and went first to beg Master to help her, it was Master who denied Auntie!” Xiao Yao shook her head and yelled, “No! That’s impossible!” That was the dad who loved and adored her, the dad who tirelessly taught Zhuan Xu everything.

How could he have said no to Mom’s entreaty to go save her Fourth Uncle? But then he was indeed the same Grand Emperor who brutally killed his own five brothers!

Zhuan Xu said, “When you were small, didn’t you ask Auntie why she was missing one finger all of a sudden? Didn’t Auntie tell you that she accidentally misplaced it? You know that Master always wears a white bone ring on his left pinky, right? Do you know what that ring is made from? That’s Auntie’s finger! When she was crying and begging on her hands and knees for Master to save my dad, she severed her own finger to make a blood oath to him. But he still said no!”

Zhuan Xu’s raspy voice said each word clearly, “Xiao Yao. He. Said. No!”

Xiao Yao tightly clasped her hand over her mouth and sank into the ground. She remembered the day when she discovered her mom had only four fingers left on one hand, she asked why mom was missing a finger. Her mom said she accidentally lost it. She asked her mom if it hurt? Her mom said, “No, it doesn’t hurt. The persons who are hurting the most right now are your Fourth Auntie and Zhuan Xu gege. Xiao Yao be good and spend more time with your Gege.”

If her Fourth Uncle didn’t die, then her Fourth Auntie wouldn’t have committed suicide. Then her Grandmother’s illness wouldn’t have taken a turn for the worse. Then her Mom wouldn’t have needed to go to battle….. Maybe, just maybe everything would be different now….

Zhuan Xu added, “And your real father! Even now the world continues to marvel at Qi Yo’s subordinates, the two most capable were Feng Bo (Uncle Wind) and Yu Shi (Teacher Rain). Do you know who Yu Shi’s real identity was? He had another name, his real name was Yi He Nuo Nai. Now no one knows anymore, but thousands of years ago he was a very well known handsome powerful young Gao Xing noble who was also the Great General of Gao Xing’s Yi He tribe. He was also Master’s dearest friend since childhood. So much time has passed now that no one remembers anymore and I can’t discover what Yu Shi was actually doing working for Qi Yo. But do you think that Master would send one of his best friends to your father’s side for no reason whatsoever? Yes, maybe you’re right and we can’t blame everything on Master. But Xiao Yao……every time I think about how my Dad didn’t need to die, my Mom didn’t need to commit suicide in front of me. Our Grandmother could have lived a few more years. Auntie didn’t need to go to the battlefield. You didn’t need to leave my side. I…” Zhuan Xu’s breathing was labored. “I really can’t treat him as just my respected Master!”

Xiao Yao kept her eyes shut and felt her throat constricting so she couldn’t breathe anymore.

Zhuan Xu said, “Master always told me ‘You don’t need to feel gratitude towards me, this is what I owe Qing Yang, Ah Heng, and your dad.’ I never took what he said seriously and thought he was just being modest. Until I discovered the truth and now I know, Master was completely truthful to me!”

Xiao Yao remembered that on the Chi Sui river when she thanked her dad for saving her in the desert, he also said very clearly to her, “This is what I owe Qing Yang, Chang Yi, and your mom.”

“Xiao Yao, I haven’t forgotten that he’s my Master, but I also can’t forget…..Xiao Yao, do you remember the dagger?”

“The dagger that Fourth Auntie used to commit suicide?” That dagger that gave Zhuan Xu nightmares every night, yet he insisted on wearing it daily.

“Yes.” Zhuan Xu scoffed, “That dagger was hand-forged by Master and given to my parents as a wedding gift. Mom chose that very dagger to commit suicide. When Mom died, she must have hated Master so much.”

“Are you invading Gao Xing because you hate him?”

“No! Towards him I feel both love and hate. But he is the Gao Xing Grand Emperor and I am the Xuan Yuan Black Emperor. My decision is based solely as a ruler.”

Xiao Yao said, “But in Gao Xing there are the guys you grew up with, Ru So and Ju Mang, and the Ah Nian you watched come into this world…..Zhuan Xu, have you not thought about how they feel?”

“Ru So and Ju Mang are men and even if they oppose me they will understand my decision. Ah Nian….. likely will hate me. Xiao Yao, I didn’t think about how they would feel nor do I care. But I will accept all the consequences to come!”

“If you don’t care about how we feel then you leave. I don’t want to see you! In the future you’re not welcome at Xiao Yue Peak either!” Xiao Yao ran into the inner room and flopped on her pallet before pulling the blanket tightly over her head.

“Xiao Yao, Xiao Yao…..” Zhuan Xu pounded on the door but heard silence back from inside the room. He could have broken down the door easily with his power but he didn’t force his way inside.

Zhuan Xu’s forehead wearily leaned against the door, “I care about what you think!” That’s why a war that should have begun three years ago got delayed time and again until now. That’s why he was willing to alert the Grand Emperor to his war intentions and sever Xiao Yao’s connection with him as father-daughter first.

Zhuan Xu didn’t dare go in but he also couldn’t bear to leave. He leaned against the door and sat down on the ground, staring in desolation into the dark night.

Last night Xiao Yao broke a chalice of wine on Zhuan Xu’s head and he hastily wiped before running after her so he didn’t clean himself up. His face was streaked in red and white in a big mess and he actually forgot about it and was planning to return to Zhi Jin Palace like this. If the servants saw him then there would be a giant freak out.

Xiao Yao opened her door and said to Xiao Xiao, “His majesty can wash up in the restroom.”

Before Xiao Xiao could answer Zhuan Xu strode inside as if afraid Xiao Yao would change her mind.

Xiao Yao took out Zhuan Xu’s old clothes from her closet and handed it to Xiao Xiao. Zhuan Xu quickly washed up and changed, putting medicine on his bruise, before walking out.

Xiao Yao was in the courtyard and heard his footsteps and looked over. Zhuan Xu had a bright purple bruise on his forehead that came from the glass striking him. Earlier there were wine streaks on his face so no one saw it but after he was cleaned up the bruise was especially noticeable.

Last night Xiao Yao was so angry she used her full strength when she tossed it at Zhuan Xu. He must have bled a lot and even though the wound was patched up with spiritual powers it could only heal the wound but could not remove the bruising.

Zhuan Xu smiled, “No worries, it’ll be gone in two days.”

Xiao Yao lowered her head and walked past Zhuan Xu to enter the house.

Xiao Yao lowered her head dejectedly, “Jing, whatever shall I do?”

Xiao Yao shook her head. She knew Zhuan Xu too well, whatever he wanted no one could stop him.

Xiao Yao shook her head. “I only know medicine and poisons, what ability do I have? Plus I may hate what Zhuan Xu is doing but I will never help others against Zhuan Xu.

“Xiao Yao, this is between two Emperors so there is nothing you can do.”

“But they are the dearest people in my life. Shall I just dispassionately watch from the sidelines?”

“You are not dispassionately watching, you are painfully watching.”

“Tu Shan Jing!” Xiao Yao glared at him. “You have the mind to tease me? Don’t you know I spent all last night thinking about this?”

Jing pinched Xiao Yao’s cheek. “Don’t think of the worst outcome when nothing is decided yet. This war will take ten or twenty years at least. Xuan Yuan is not the same as it was before and the Grand Emperor, is not like Qi Yo was back then.”

Xiao Yao sat until it was noon when she suddenly got up and grabbed her arrow to go practice archery for two hours. After that she was exhausted and crawled into bed and immediately fell asleep.

When Zhuan Xu arrived later that night Xiao Yao was still asleep so he dined with the Yellow Emperor and then left.

Xiao Yao slept until dawn the next morning and told Miao Pu that she wanted to dine in her own court residence today and from now on as well.

Every day when Zhuan Xu came he didn’t see Xiao Yao but he didn’t look angry or sad and instead was just like always, chatting and dining with the Yellow Emperor before leaving.

Xuan Yuan and Gao Xing were like Jing expected, it was impossible to see a victor within a short span of time.

When Zhuan Xu deployed the troops, he issued a decree to the entire world that no common citizens would be harmed or hurt. Initially the Xuan Yuan army had the advantage but as they got deeper into Gao Xing territory they encountered fierce opposition from the Gao Xing people. Whether it was Feng Long, Yu Jiang, or Xian’s tens of thousands of top notch troops, everyone was under orders not to hurt the Gao Xing people so their earlier advantage was quickly gone.

Zhuan Xu was clearly prepared for a long haul war and ordered Feng Long already, so Feng Long did not push his troops deeper and instead settled down in the castle already conquered and got ready to manage it.

Summer was monsoon season in Gao Xing and flooding was expected. Feng Long grew up by the water so he knew the devastation of when the flood waters broke through dams and barriers to destroy a village instantaneously. Under his grandfather’s tutelage he learned how to fortify dams and dig trenches to redirect the water so he brought his best men from Chi Sui over to help protect the castle along with the Xuan Yuan soldiers. Initially the Gao Xing citizens were resentful and angry but the Xuan Yuan soldiers never hurt or killed people or burned and looted, plus they worked hard and the only difficulty was the language barrier otherwise everyone got along well. Seeing the flood season was about to come, the Gao Xing people gradually accepted the help of the Xuan Yuan soldiers to protect their homes.

The Xuan Yuan army was able to keep getting a steady stream of supplies because of its water edge location so the Gao Xing army could not easily win back the taken territory. But venturing further South with the humid temperatures caused the Northern Xuan Yuan soldiers to be unaccustomed to the climate so Feng Long could not easily continue his battle attack. Just like that the two sides settled into a stalemate.

Xiao Yao avoided Zhuan Xu but could not avoid the war going on in the outside world. She knew there was nothing she could do by avoiding hearing about what was happening so would ask Jing, “Where is Feng Long now? Has there been another big battle?”

Likely due to the engagement with Jing, Xiao Yao realized that her time on Xiao Yue Peak with Zhuan Xu was finite rather than forever. With the battle between Xuan Yuan and Gao Xing taking on losses for both sides but Xiao Yao didn’t personally know anyone who died and she didn’t find out the details of the war, she felt it so far removed from her so she stopped avoiding Zhuan Xu.

-----

Chapter 39:

The war between Gao Xing and Xuan Yuan was now going on ten years. During that time both sides had victories but Xuan Yuan was gradually gaining an advantage and very slowly encroaching into Gao Xing territory.

Living in Gao Xing for so long, many Xuan Yuan soldiers learned to speak the Gao Xing language. Zhuan Xu gave strict orders not to bother the civilians and any violation would be punishable by death. The soldiers were extremely well-behaved towards the Gao Xing people and every year during high tide season the soldiers would work alongside the Gao Xing people to build dams. When there were no battles looming, the soldiers would take their instruments and travel to villages to provide impromptu performances.

If there was no ongoing war, the Gao Xing people really had no reason to hate the Xuan Yuan soldiers.

Zhuan Xu said, “You said before that some plants only grow in Gao Xing and you can’t find it here so it’s hard to catalogue accurately. Do you want to go to Gao Xing with me and take a look at those local plants yourself?”

“No!” Xiao Yao answered immediately.

Zhuan Xu nodded his head with a smile and said to Jing, “...

...I want you to go with me to Gao Xing and see what’s suitable for importing to the Middle Plains for trade. If possible, this matter may be delegated to the Tu Shan clan in the future since trade is best left for private exchanges rather than government agents.”

Jing glanced at Xiao Yao and smiled. “This is good for the entire world and the Tu Shan clan gets a benefit from it, of course your subject I would be happy to accompany Your Majesty to Gao Xing.”

Zhuan Xu shot a glance at Xiao Yao. “Do you want to come along?”

Xioa Yao was furious that Zhuan Xu already hooked her so pressed her lips together and insisted, “Not going, not going, I said I’m not going!”

Zhuan Xu, Jing, and Xiao Yao changed into Gao Xing clothes and both Xiao Yao and Zhuan Xu spoke perfect Gao Xing dialect language while Jing easily mimicked them so walking on the streets all the vendors saw them as Gao Xing people.

This castle had been conquered by Xuan Yuan years ago and since then the signs of battle were long gone and after being ruled well it was bustling. There were people everywhere milling around much like it was before the war. The only difference was that it was even more thriving with the presence of Middle Plains women speaking in Gao Xing language asking and haggling prices with the vendors.

Xiao Yao asked Jing, “How did it become this way?”

Jing smiled. “Xuan Yuan troops live in Gao Xing for extended periods of time and His majesty worried that the soldiers missed their families too much. So he spent the money to encourage soldier families to move to Gao Xing. When there are no battles fought, every month the soldiers can rotate from an active army camp back here to the town and live with their families. Soldiers with kids get additional compensation to help. His majesty did this and the troops are both comforted and also work extra hard to secure this territory because they are also protecting their own families who live here now.”

Xiao Yao saw many young wives carrying baskets of food in one hand with a baby or child on their backs. “So their kids are born in Gao Xing?”

“Yes!” Jing thought about it and divined deeper into what Zhuan Xu was thinking, having Xuan Yuan next generation born in Gao Xing would encourage them to settle here and further integrate the people.

A bunch of kids were playing by the castle wall and it wasn’t clear from their happy hollering who was Gao Xing and who was Xuan Yuan. Xiao Yao stared at them and murmured, “This isn’t what I thought the war would be like.”

Jing said, “The Black Emperor is very different from the Yellow Emperor, just like the Grand Emperor was very different from Qi Yo, just like today’s Xuan Yuan Kingdom is very different from the Xuan Yuan Kingdom back then.”

Zhuan Xu heard every word of Jing and Xiao Yao’s conversation. Since Xiao Yao entered Gao Xing she didn’t want to speak with him so he kept silent and allowed Xiao Yao to see and hear for herself.

The Wan Xiang play was popular throughout the vast wilderness and tonight’s story was about the opening of the earth to begin civilization. The story included the smart and caring Hua Xu, the loyal and brave Sheng Nong, the dashing and elegant Gao Xing, the well-learned and talented Xi Ling, the sly money loving Tu Shan nine-tailed fox, the physically weak but devious Gui Fang, the water-based power that was Chi Sui, the forger of all metals Jin Tian……all these figures worked with the Great Emperor Pan Gu to slay demons and create the vast wilderness. Back then the vast wilderness was one family, there was no Sheng Nong royal family, no Gao Xing royal family, and especially no Xuan Yuan royal family.

The children watching the play cheered and cried and hollered as the story progressed and even Xiao Yao got really into it. Even though this was based on legends and myths passed on through time, there was some truth to it and she believed that the sacrifices made by those ancestors were all real.

Other than watching the play, Xiao Yao also understood why Zhuan Xu encouraged such performances. It was for entertainment, yes, to relieve the pressure of everyday life. But after watching it, over time the Gao Xing people were gradually soaking in the belief Zhuan Xu wanted to impart: The entire world was one big family without Gao Xing or Xuan Yuan divisions. From all four corners it was all people of the vast wilderness.

It was very late when the play was done and the three of them didn’t rush anywhere else and just bunked down in the village.

The next morning as they were departing, Xiao Yao saw a bunch of village kids enacting their own version of the play story and picking characters to play happily. Xiao Yao watched them and smiled, as long as Zhuan Xu and Feng Long didn’t kill and harm needlessly, then these kids would grow up not to hate Zhuan Xu or the Chi Sui family.

As the cart gradually left the village and the sounds of the kids' laughter faded, Xiao Yao said to Zhuan Xu, “How did you think of this idea? Even I was captivated and influenced by the play last night, much less the villagers.”

Zhuan Xu replied, “The play is just telling history that really happened and I simply want the people to learn it.”

Xiao Yao couldn’t help herself. “I hope learning this truth won’t pay the price of lives.”

Zhuan Xu looked out over the hills and said, “I lived in Gao Xing for over two hundred years. I went out early fishing with the fisherman and coming in late into the night. I went out hawking wares with peddlers in exchange for wine, I dug for lotus root by the pond and sang songs afterwards under the moonlight, I hunted bandits on raids with the soldiers, when I was forced into exile from Xuan Yuan and wandered Gao Xing, it was the people of this land who accompanied me through the most lonely and adrift period of my life. They are all dead now but their grandchildren and beyond still live on this land. They still work hard doing all the things I did with their ancestors. I know their hardship and I know their happiness!”

Zhuan Xu looked back at Xiao Yao with candor in his eyes, “Xiao Yao, if we’re discussing who cares for this land, I will only surpass you and will never be any less than you!”

Xiao Yao was speechless because he was right. She was the Gao Xing princess but she didn’t really understand Gao Xing. Zhuan Xu was the one who explored and wandered every inch of this land.

Zhuan Xu said, “I admit I have ambitious dreams but I’m also just going with the flow and making something inevitable happen. Uniting the entire vast wilderness is best for the people. War will undoubtedly have casualties but I’ve done everything I can to avoid harming the innocent. Xiao Yao, I don’t hope that you will approve of what I’m doing but at least try to see that I’m doing all I can.”

Xiao Yao turned her head to look at the scenery and said in a low voice, “I see it.” Her voice was as soft as a whisper but both Jing and Zhuan Xu’s hearing was excellent so they both heard it clearly.

Zhuan Xu let out a relieved sigh before crossing his hands and laying back on the cart to stare at the blue sky above. He rarely expressed any emotion but hearing what Xiao Yao said turned him into an untried young man as he let out a happy laugh.

“I didn’t know back then that my real father was Qi Yo.”

“After finding out later, then you didn’t want to be my jiejie anymore, right?”

Xiao Yao walked to the window and stared out, not wanting Ah Nian to see the weakness in her heart. “Not that I didn’t want to but….Ah Nian, the Grand Emperor had me stricken from the Gao Xing family tree and ancestral lineage books and forbade me from using the Gao Xing last name.

Ah Nian’s mouth dropped open and didn’t know how to berate Xiao Yao anymore. By being stricken from the family then Xiao Yao would have no right to go to Five Gods Mountain anymore. Remembering the way the Gao Xing officials viciously cursed Xiao Yao, Ah Nian’s heart softened.

Ah Nian said, “Then you….if you can’t come to Five Gods Mountain then at least send a message to say hi to me. I….I’m still waiting for you.”

“You’re waiting for me?” Xiao Yao was surprised and realized that Ah Nian was angry at her and not disgusted with her.

Ah Nian harrumphed and said irritably, “I’m not here to catch up with you! If you’re here then that black hearted bastard Zhuan Xu must also be here. I want to see him!”

Ah Nian started sobbing again, hating Zhuan Xu for being so heartless but also secretly feeling comfort that Zhuan Xu also didn’t agree when Xiao Yao begged him.

Zhuan Xu watched Ah Nian grow up and couldn’t help himself, kneeling down to hand a handkerchief to her, “I know you hate me and I know this will sound insincere to you but I really do believe this. Some things are between kingdoms and others are between emperors. But between you and I, you are still Ah Nian and I am still your Zhuan Xu gege, as long as it doesn’t involve national affairs then I will do everything in my power for you.

Ah Nian covered her face and continued to sob because she just didn’t know what to do. One was her dad and the other was Zhuan Xu. How could both tell her so calmly that it didn’t have anything to do with her?

Xiao Yao couldn’t help it and asked, “What are you thinking about? Worried over Ah Nian?”

“I’m worried over all the people who live on this land.” Zhuan Xu sighed. “I was born in Xuan Yuan but raised in Gao Xing. Sometimes I can’t figure out whether I see myself as a Xuan Yuan person or a Gao Xing person. As the Emperor of Xuan Yuan, I should be happy that Gao Xing is having problems which is a great opportunity to strike. But I’m actually not happy about it and sincerely want Master to have a solution for his current predicament and not let this land descend into a battlefield.”

Xiao Yao stared. “Who is the one who brought the battlefield to this land first?”

Zhuan Xu got angry and whacked Xiao Yao softly. “I declared war but both Master and I are very much in control and the battles have not impacted the citizens. But if Gao Xing descends into civil war then those people will not be as restrained as Master and I, they will plunder and pillage and destroy all.”

Xiao Yao didn’t follow behind Zhuan Xu and just stared at him. “I don’t like your war against Gao Xing and often verbally express my dislike but I’m not completely without understanding of why you made the choice. You were born in Xuan Yuan but you spent way more time in Gao Xing. This land helped make who you are today so in terms of attachment you likely are more attached to Gao Xing than to Xuan Yuan. I know the reason you took me out this time is to lessen my worry and also tell me that you haven’t changed. You’re the Emperor but you can still feel hurt and sadness like an ordinary young man. You lost your own loved ones, you endured the pain, which is why you won’t carelessly take it away from others and make them suffer needlessly. I know whatever happens in Gao Xing, at least you will prevent the worst from taking place.

solarlunareclipse:
Xiao Yao was very angry with Cang Xuan, but there was nothing she could do to stop him. Plus CX was the most important person that XY wanted to protect and vowed to her mother, grandmother, etc. to protect. XY chose CX over XL from the beginning. She started distancing herself from XL and admitted to being scared of him immediately after she discovered Xuan's real identity. 

Xiao Yao lowered her head dejectedly “Jing, whatever shall I do?”

Xiao Yao shook her head “I only know medicine and poisons, what ability do I have? Plus I may hate what Zhuan Xu is doing but I will never help others against Zhuan Xu.”

Also, CX deliberately forced King Gao Xin to remove XY from the Gao Xin family register by spreading the rumor that XY was Chi Chen's daughter, so she had no legitimate tie to King Gao Xin anymore.

That’s why a war that should have began three years ago got delayed time and again until now. That’s why he was willing to alert the Grand Emperor to his war intentions and sever Xiao Yao’s connection with him as father-daughter first.

Lol, looks like we have very similar thoughts on this!

I second all of this. ^^

AH :
XY was definitely much bothered by it.

She threw a chalice at CX's head so hard that it caused extensive bleeding and left behind a terrible bruise despite CX's high spiritual power and ability to self-heal the wound.
She completely avoided seeing CX for a long time.
She only stopped avoiding CX after she agreed to marry TSJ and realized the time she would have with CX (living with him) would not last forever.
She initially refused to visit Gao Xing with CX and only did so because of TSJ. When she went, she didn't want to talk to CX until she saw how he had conducted the war.
But there are some major differences between: (1) XY not ending her relationship with CX after he attacked Gao Xing on the one hand; and (2) XY telling XL that he is not a man who is suitable to enter a young girl's dreams, partly because he was her family's enemy, on the other hand. 

Thanks for the very thorough analysis. Agree with all the points raised.

AH :
I personally think that both CX and the Yellow Emperor started unnecessary wars and should be remembered as warmongers and blamed for the unnecessary suffering that their wars of conquest caused, but I digress.

Same. Unfortunately, the victors write history while the victims are vilified for defending themselves.

AH :
The fight that the Shengnong army fought in order to try to recreate the conquored kingdom of Shengnong was viewed by XY and most of the people around her as a cause that was futile, caused unnecessary death and suffering, and posed a threat to the long term peace and security of Dahuang.

Did the remnant army actually strive to recreate the conquered kingdom of Shen Nong, or did they just want to honor their ancestors and their fallen comrades by not giving up fighting their conquerors/oppressors? Even XL seemed to think their cause was idiotic and hopeless, while hinting at secretly supporting unification.

“You have some sort of principles?”

“To Sheng Nong I do.”

“Laughable!”

“It is laughable, and even I think I’m pretty pathetic. 
If I didn’t have principles, then I would go talk to the Yellow Emperor and personally lead him to destroy Gao Xing.

Xiao Liu was silent and looked up at the crescent moon like a biscuit with a bite taken out of it. After a long time, he asked “What is General Gong Gong like? To lead to a demon like you giving him your allegiance?”

“He’s an idiot!” Xiang Liu quieted down for awhile and then said 
“He is a pathetic idiot. He leads a bunch of idiots, doing something pathetic.”

Xiao Liu said “The most pathetic one is you! They are all willing to do it, they don’t think they are idiots. They think they are doing something they would be proud of to tell their family in the grave. To let their descendants be proud. They are happy to go down in a blaze of glory. But you – you mock it yet you do it.”

“Who let me have nine-heads? Of course it gets complicated and contradictory.”

-- Vol 1 Ch 7 (Chapter 7)

Even if the remnant army could have turned the tides and won the war, Shen Nong had no solid plans for leadership succession. Hong Jiang had already vowed that his purpose in fighting was not to gain power, and he viewed Little Zhu Rong as a traitor. Without a leadership succession plan and thoughtful governance plans, the remnant army's victory would have plunged the world into pure chaos.

Kokuto:
I need to finish reading this book, but it's strange that one of the big reasons XY doesn't want to XL to enter her dreams, because he's her family's enemy, but she's not much bothered by CX making daddy emperor and Anian an enemy.

Him being her family enemy makes having a relationship with him too difficult. Believing that he is destined to die with the Shen Nong Army means he doesn't meet her #1 requirement for a partner so she eliminates him early on. XY cares very much about gains and losses and picking XL is a losing hand. CX is an extension of XY, she treated him differently.

XY was bothered by CX attacking GX, but not enough to actually do anything about it. She threw a glass at CX, she sulked, one sleepless night and a few words from CX and Jing were all it took for her to accept the situation. Correction, she sulked and gave CX the cold shoulders some more, but eventually, it was pretty much back to normal. Her behaviour was that of a little girl sulking and pouting because someone had been mean to her rather than a grown woman whose loved ones were going to war with each other. Have you ever cared deeply about something? When you care, you want to protect, you try with everything that you have. Even if it looks hopeless, even if you think the chances are slim to none, you try because not trying is inconceivable. Because you care too much not to try. I can see Ah Nian's grief, pain and anger. XY? I guess because the White Emperor wasn't really her father, because GX wasn't her real country so eh! Even though he treated her like his own; the Gao Xing Grand Princess title provided her with a means to help CX. And yet, not even merit a try. To me, she comes across as so shallow, so self-serving in how she conducts her relationships.

Her reaction towards that whole situation left a very bad impression on me. It's quite in character for this character and by this point in the story, I really shouldn't have expected anything different from her. Like Jing,  so many little things about this character add up to make a selfish/unlikeable person to me. Remembered how I used to say that I find XY more sympathetic in the book? I take it back. I don't like either version of her :-).

solarlunareclipse:
So I've seen some of your translations for the drama, and I agree that they made it seem like the Remnant Army had a greater cause besides relentlessly refusing to surrender. However, I don't think the novel explains it that way.

I believe you misunderstood my statement. When I referred to their cause, I was not talking about the added reasons given in the drama, but the one in the novel that talks about their unyielding loyalty to the death to a fallen kingdom, and a longing and sorrow for a homeland that is no longer their own. They wish to remain steadfast in their loyalty towards a kingdom that had long gone, to continue to fight to the death for that kingdom, even though no one else cared for them, nor what they are fighting for anymore, their fates are irrelevant to the survivors and descendants of those who had surrendered to Xuan Yuan. And because Xiang Liu loved Hong Jiang and his comrades, he would do everything in his power to help them realise their wish, even if he himself had no ties and loyalty to the old Shen Nong kingdom. As such, he has taken on their cause and given his loyalty to it because it is everything to them, although he himself knew it was a hopeless one. The knowledge that their cause was hopeless meant that he also made provisions for his comrades so that in the event that they were finally defeated and died, their remains could still go home to the the homeland they yearned for. So he covered both bases - continuing to ensure their best fighting chance, while preparing for their inevitable fate.

In that sense (and in other ways too), he is very similar to Xiao Yao and how she gave her all to support Cang Xuan fulfil his wish and ascend the throne because she loved him, even though she personally had no interest in the power struggle and the politicking that was required. For Cang Xuan, she was willing to approach Jing even though she had decided to ignore him, and by the same token, she was willing to enter a politically motivated marriage with Feng Long, when she herself told her father previously that she did not wish her marriage to be one for political gain.

Am currently reading Once Promised, which accords me a better understanding of the characters whom we knew of perfunctorily from LYF. Hong Jiang, for one, was not a brilliant strategist, but wholeheartedly loyal to Shen Nong, and he was also renowned as an honourable man whose word was his bond. 

This scene after the death of the Eighth Flame Emperor Yu Xiang (son of the Seventh Flame Emperor who wrote the Shen Nong Herbs Manual) explains why Hong Jiang continued to fight, even when he too must have clearly known it was a lost cause:

After Yu Xiang's death and faced with the undeniable fact of the Xuan Yuan king's consecutive victories, the vassal lords who once thought they could establish their own kingdoms began to feel fear. Moreover, seeing those who surrendered to Xuan Yuan were treated with courtesy and generosity, they could not help but consider whether they should surrender as well. After all, in the face of the threat of death, few could face death with equanimity.

Under the coordination of several respected rulers, all the vassal states gathered at Shen Nong mountain to discuss how to deal with the Xuan Yuan clan, whether to fight or make peace.

Hong Jiang tried his best to convince everyone that the present issue was not whether Shen Nong could defeat Xuan Yuan, but that the Shen Nong clan itself was divided, everyone acting independently. As long as everyone was united, it was still very possible to defeat Xuan Yuan.

Everyone nodded in agreement, acknowledging that Hong Jiang's words made sense.

Hong Jiang was overjoyed and eagerly asked everyone to jointly elect a leader, pledge their allegiance with blood and swear to obey his commands in all things. Only in this way could they go against the Xuan Yuan king.

The vassal lords fell silent, and some even mocked Hong Jiang, "After all the talk about wholeheartedly serving Shen Nong, it turns out you just want to be king." When one person spoke up, the other lords followed suit, even bringing up the previous Shen Nong king's remark that "Hong Jiang is just a fierce warrior, not a talented strategist", for fear that someone might nominate Hong Jiang.

Hong Jiang's heart was pierced with such pain, so upset that the strong, seven-foot-tall man was almost on the verge of tears. He finally understood why Yan Zhuan did not attend the meeting, because Yan Zhuan already knew what these people were like.

Hong Jiang swore to the heavens, "If I, Hong Jiang, harbour even the slightest desire to be king and seize power, may I be struck down and burned by heavenly thunder, and die a miserable death! 
Shen Nong ancestors above me, I have done my utmost! If this nation is lost one day, Hong Jiang can only sacrifice his life for the nation!" With these words, he flung his sleeve and strode away.

-- Once Promised, Vol 2 Ch5 (originally Chapter 8)

And the epilogue breaks my heart:

After the Xuan Yuan king defeated Chi Chen, he ascended to the summit of Shen Nong Mountain and unified the Central Plains.

Although within the Shen Nong territory, there were still some Shen Nong remnants such as Hong Jiang, Jing Tian and others who resolutely refused to surrender, leading the remnants under the banner of the old Shen Nong nation in resistance against the Xuan Yuan king, the conclusion was already determined after all, and the sporadic resistance could not restore the Shen Nong kingdom.

Year after year, with the passing of time, hundreds of years had gone by. The blood of countless men and tears of countless women had vanished in the ashes of time. No matter how spectacular or impressive, how heroic or tragic, they were reduced to a few short lines in the annals, forgotten by all.

-- Once Promised, Epilogue

This passage describes their unwavering conviction so well, and Xiang Liu's mockery, I believe is more for himself than them... because he knew it was a lost cause, but he knew he would still do everything in his power to ensure that their fondest wish is fulfilled, even more so, knowing no one else cared or appreciated their sacrifices:

On a cleared slope, two bodies were laid out on top of the woodpile.

When Xiang Liu walked over, hundreds of solders stood solemnly. Xiang Liu first toasted three cups of wine before holding a torch and lighting the woodpile.

Amidst the blazing flames, the men's weathered faces showed little expression, being accustomed to seeing life and death, but their deep voices sang of the most profound of sorrows:

This body is entrusted to the rivers and mountains, Life and death is insignificant.
Once the breath is gone, the soul will dissipate.
Gains and losses are no longer known, How is one aware of right and wrong?
After thousands of years have passed, Who is aware of the honour or disgrace?

The soldiers' singing was not uniform, but rose and fell in twos or threes. To Xiao Liu, it sounded as if they were chanting repeatedly, "This body is entrusted to the rivers and mountains, Life and death is insignificant..."

Although it was indeed the Xuan Yuan king who seized Shen Nong's lands, the Shen Nong kingdom was already destroyed. The people only wanted to live and work in peace and contentment, and did not care who the king was. They had even started to praise the Xuan Yuan king's brilliance, generosity and compassion. No one cared about the gains and losses, rights and wrongs of those soldiers who resolutely refused to surrender, nor would anyone even know of their honour and disgrace thousands of years later.

As long as they gave up and were willing to bend down and bow their heads, they could have gentle wives, adorable children, and even enjoy the glory and wealth bestowed by the Xuan Yuan king. However, they remained steadfast in protecting their beliefs, persistently holding on to things many have long ceased to care about, even willing to sacrifice their lives for this conviction.

The wheels of history were already moving forward, but they remained entrenched in the same place, both arms held up high, resisting the momentum of the wheels of history. They were people forgotten by time, attempting to swim against the current, but destined to be washed away and shattered to pieces.

Xiao Liu knew they were foolish, and even thought that they were pathetic, but he could not help but feel respect for them.

In that moment, Xiao Liu suddenly understood why Xiang Liu flew into such a rage when he jokingly told Xiang Liu that what Hong Jiang did was meaningless, and he should betray Hong Jiang and switch allegiances to the Xuan Yuan king instead. In this world, there was a conviction that could be defeated, could be annihilated, but could never be despised or mocked!

Xiang Liu slowly walked back, the desolate and mournful song still trailing behind him.

Leaning against the door frame, Xiao Liu watched him, white haired with white robes, untouched by the mortal realm, walking through the blood-stained sunset.

Xiang Liu came to a halt in front of Xiao Liu, his cold gaze tinged with a hint of mockery, though it was not clear whether the mockery was meant for the world, or himself.

Xiao Liu suddenly bowed to him. “I wish to apologise for what I said last time.”

Expressionless, Xiang Liu entered the house and calmly said, “If the medicine can be obtained as soon as possible, at least they can live a little longer. They are warriors. Even if they had to die, it ought to be in the face of the Xuan Yuan king’s army.

Xiao Liu sat quietly in the corner and began to truly hope that Jing could get the medicines as soon as possible.

-- Vol 1 Ch5

Their belief is particularly evident in the song sung by the old Lirong meat seller when he recognised who she resembled:

The one-armed old man stared intently at Xiao Yao for a while, then tilted his head to finish the wine in his bowl before singing sadly in a loud voice:

中原地古多劲草,节如箭竹花如稻。
The ancient land of the Central Plains, with sturdy grasses aplenty,
Stems like arrow bamboos, flowers akin to rice.

白露洒叶珠离离,十月霜风吹不倒。
White dew sprinkles the leaves, scattered like pearls, 
In the frosty wind of October, they remain unbowed. 

萋萋不到王孙门,青青不盖谗佞坟。
But this lushness never reaches the gates of the royal descendants,
Nor do verdant hues cover the graves of slanderers and flatterers.

游根直下土百尺,枯荣暗抱忠臣魂
The wandering roots go straight into the earth a hundred feet deep, 
Secretly embracing the souls of loyal ministers in decay and prosperity. 

我问忠臣为何死?元是神农不降士。
I ask why do loyal ministers die? 
Because they are Shen Nong patriots who will never surrender.

白骨沉埋战血深,翠光潋滟腥风起。
White bones sink, buried in the deep blood of battle, 
Green light* shimmering as the bloody winds rise.

山南雨暗蝴蝶飞,山北雨冷麒麟悲。
In the dark rains of the south mountains, butterflies flutter,
In the cold rains of the north mountains, the qilin mourns.

寸心摇摇为谁道?道傍可许愁人知?
To whom can this shaking heart confide in?
Can anyone on this road know my sorrow?

-- Vol 2 Ch12  (Chapter 29)

* Green light refers to the fluid of decomposing bodies

And just like the epilogue in Once Promised, this description of the Shen Nong resistance army in their final hours leaves me with such an ache in my heart:

Xiang Liu surveyed the camp and walked up to the top of the mountain to look down from the summit.

In the distance he could see fires burning, that was Ru Shou burning the entire mountain to force them to come out and battle. The moment of the final battle was at hand. All the soldiers clearly knew their fate, but they still chose this path with no hesitation. The world was at peace, the people settled and secure, and they had been ruthlessly discarded by the passage of time, their existence pointless. Death was the best release for them, the best destination.

-- Epilogue

liddi:
I believe you misunderstood my statement. When I referred to their cause, I was not talking about the added reasons given in the drama, but the one in the novel that talks about their unyielding loyalty to the death to a fallen kingdom, and a longing and sorrow for a homeland that is no longer their own. They wish to remain steadfast in their loyalty towards a kingdom that had long gone, to continue to fight to the death for that kingdom, even though no one else cared for them, nor what they are fighting for anymore, their fates are irrelevant to the survivors and descendants of those who had surrendered to Xuan Yuan. And because Xiang Liu loved Hong Jiang and his comrades, he would do everything in his power to help them realise their wish, even if he himself had no ties and loyalty to the old Shen Nong kingdom. As such, he has taken on their cause and given his loyalty to it because it is everything to them, although he himself knew it was a hopeless one. The knowledge that their cause was hopeless meant that he also made provisions for his comrades so that in the event that they were finally defeated and died, their remains could still go home to the the homeland they yearned for. So he covered both bases - continuing to ensure their best fighting chance, while preparing for their inevitable fate.

Thanks for the detailed writeup. Completely agree with this interpretation ^^^ of what the Remnant Army was fighting for. Xiang Liu did everything he could to ensure that Hong Jiang and his comrades could continue to fight to pledge their loyalty and lives to their fallen kingdom.

When I said that Xiang Liu didn't personally believe in their cause, it's not to say that he didn't deeply sympathize with their cause, respect his comrades' loyalty and conviction, or do everything in his power to help them. He did all those things. However, I believe if he were in his comrade's shoes and given the choice in the beginning of whether to steadfastly hold on to his convictions and die fighting for a fallen kingdom, or to peacefully accept the new world order and move on with his life, I believe he would have chosen the latter.

I also think it's important to distinguish what exactly the remnant army was fighting for. From the excerpts you posted, it seemed that Hong Jiang and the remnant army weren't actually striving to win the war and revive the conquered kingdom of Shen Nong. Rather, they wanted to stay loyal to and honor their ancestors, their homeland, and their fallen comrades by not giving up fighting their conquerors/oppressors. This means that in order to stay loyal to and honor the wishes of his comrades, Xiang Liu didn't necessarily have to prolong the war for as long as possible. Rather it was more important to ensure that his men were able to die fighting for their cause rather than dying outside the battlefield due to illness or starvation in a long war of attrition.

liddi:
In that sense (and in other ways too), he is very similar to Xiao Yao and how she gave her all to support Cang Xuan fulfil his wish and ascend the throne because she loved him, even though she personally had no interest in the power struggle and the politicking that was required. For Cang Xuan, she was willing to approach Jing even though she had decided to ignore him, and by the same token, she was willing to enter a politically motivated marriage with Feng Long, when she herself told her father previously that she did not wish her marriage to be one for political gain.

Yes, it breaks my heart how both XL and XY never did themselves right and sacrificed themselves over and over again for the ones they loved. Even though the choices they made appeared on the surface to be very different from the choices that A Heng and Chi Chen made, in the end, what all of them have in common is that none of them put themselves first.

liddi:
Although within the Shen Nong territory, there were still some Shen Nong remnants such as Hong Jiang, Jing Tian and others who resolutely refused to surrender, leading the remnants under the banner of the old Shen Nong nation in resistance against the Yellow Emperor, the conclusion was already determined after all, and the sporadic resistance could not restore the Shen Nong kingdom.

I just noticed that the Jin Tian clan was mentioned here. This explains why Xiang Liu had ties to them.

H19279:
The reason that XY still progressed with the plan is her bid for a long, stable life without gutwenching sadness althought she knew he would not place her first. But she knew they could grow old together as Yellow Emperor had advised her and It might be a step back but maybe not a bad choice. 

I agree that one of the most attractive reasons for Xiao Yao to marry Feng Long was exactly as the passage you mentioned, a simple, peaceful life without exhilarating joy nor gutwrenching pain. 

However, it was obvious her engagement of convenience was furthest from her mind after Cang Xuan ascended the throne (creating the crystal globe within the first 3 years of Cang Xuan's reign, the construction and move of the capital to Zhi Yi, spending 13 months in Ying Province after Cang Xuan married Xin Yue, spending another 2 years properly learning medicine). It was about 8 years later that Feng Long suddenly pulled the rug from under her feet and asked permission to fix the wedding.

From the passage, my impression is that at the time, being put on the spot, she reminded herself of all the good reasons for marrying him, but still could not even bring herself to verbally say yes, and could only nod. Certainly, being married to Feng Long who was Cang Xuan's staunch supporter, and promised her a peaceful life, was an acceptable compromise, if Xiang Liu would not let her into his life. While it is true Cang Xuan could have easily dealt with her breaking her engagement if she had rejected the proposal, that was all in hindsight based on what Cang Xuan later said when she came back from Qing Qiu. At the time, would she have known that she could have easily said no? I don't really see any indication that she did. Even when Cang Xuan told her right after that he did not want her to marry, she thought his objection stemmed the assumption that he was losing her. So at the time, her consideration would have been to either be with the man she loved, or marry a man who supported Cang Xuan wholeheartedly and could give her a stable life. Feng Long told her from the start that marrying her is the most reliable for him to consolidate his alliance with Cang Xuan:

Feng Long sighed, “You really want to peel my skin off layer by layer! Alright, I need you too. I need you now to help me ascend to the position of clan leader. In the future, I need you to consolidate my alliance with Cang Xuan. There are all kinds of alliances, but the most reliable is still marriage. You are the only granddaughter of the Xuan Yuan king and the Silkworm Deity Empress Xie Zu as well as Cang Xuan’s only younger sister. Marrying you signifies too many things. You should understand that yourself.”

-- Vol 2 Ch11  (Chapter 28)

For Xiang Liu, she was willing to break away from Cang Xuan and her family, even if he might be faced with having to pacify the Central Plains for the dissolution of the engagement. However, until Xiang Liu  stated that he did not want her, her marriage to Feng Long serves to cement the strong support Cang Xuan enjoyed from him and the Central Plains. 

H19279:
The line gutwenching sadness also indicates either her feeling of current situation or her consideration of her life with XL. In the later, she would witness her most loved one fighting with each other, her betrayal to her family and CX and eventually her man would die on the battlefield. 

I am inclined to think that it is the life she envisioned she would have if Xiang Liu would allow her into his life - exhilarating joy because she is with the man she loved, but gutwrenching pain because she would one day have to see him go against Cang Xuan, and the inevitability of his death at the end of it. It goes to show how much courage Xiao Yao had to have mustered to send that appeal, knowing that this was the kind of life she would face, she who had always protected her heart so fiercely. 

H19279:
Moreover, I still incline that XY had enough knowledge about Lovers' bug from the book. She might not assure the bug implanted in XL and herself was the legendary lovers' bug. The visit to Baili is mainly to confirm the type of bug. Therefore she was likely aware that her fate connected to his ending. The life with XL then became definite one, not a temporary one. 

I am not certain she knew the kind of bug she had planted. If she had, she would not have planted it in Xuan to begin with. Even when Shé Mei Er told her what she thought the name of the bug was, Xiao Yao's questions seemed to indicate that she only heard it for the first time. We were never told what exactly she told Shé Mei Er previously about her bug, but I believe she must have mentioned that she could not control the bug. If she had known about the Lovers bug from the manual, she would then have known that the Lovers bug had male and female bugs, unlike the parent-child bugs which could be controlled. Also, what Shé Mei Er told her of the Lovers bug was that it joined hearts. Based on that alone, she could only know at the time that the hearts are linked, but not lives.

Shé Mei Er explained, “Most poisonous bugs are mother-child bugs. The mother bug can control the child bug, and such bugs are easy to raise and plant. However, according to legend, there is a kind of bug that is extremely difficult to raise, and is made up of male and female bugs. It is hard to raise, and even harder to plant. If a woman raised the bug, she must find a man to plant it. If a man raised the bug, he must find a woman to plant it. It is common for someone to have raised the bug for their whole life but never be able to plant it, so such bugs only exist in the legends in Bai Li.”

“Exactly what kind of bug is it?”

“I don’t know what kind of bug it is either. I only know its name. It is called Lovers Bug. As the saying goes, ‘Lovers bug, heart joining heart’. It is very similar to what Your Highness described.”

Xiao Yao was stunned and in a daze for a while. She then asked, “If a woman raised the bug, she must find a man to plant it in. However, this world is made up of men and women, so it doesn’t sound difficult to plant the bug! How could it be possible to raise the bug for a lifetime and still be unable to plant it?”

-- Vol 2 Ch9  (Chapter 26)

H19279:
I have wondered if XL could have used his XL identity to rob the wedding. Would she still follow him? She pledged for XL (not FFB) as sending the ice crystal ball. Unfortunately, XL could not approach the wedding site if he was in white outfit with white hair and ice crystal mask. He could not fight agaist all the deity masters who worked for Chi Sui clan as well as the guests since XIANG LIU was the enemy of the whole Xuan Yuan kingdom.

Thus, if XL wanted to rob her on wedding day, he had to use FFB appearance. 

I don't think her problem was with him using Fangfeng Bei to take her away from the wedding. Her devastation laid in the fact that he used that opportunity to kill that identity for good. He already made it clear he would not allow her to be a part of his life as Xiang Liu. In killing Fangfeng Bei, he was effectively also telling her that he no longer wanted to be associated with her in her world either, even as Fangfeng Bei. 

What was ironic was how upon Xiao Yao's return after the aborted wedding, the Xuan Yuan king appeared to accept Fangfeng Bei as a candidate for Xiao Yao's hand (he himself had previously encouraged her to seek Fangfeng Bei out when she was listless and languid):

The Yellow Emperor asked, “What’s going on with you and Fangfeng Bei? If he wants to marry you, doesn’t he even have the courage to come see us?”

-- Vol 2 Ch16  (Chapter 33)

By the same token, the leaked script mentioned how the Gao Xin king found a way to justify Xiao Yao's marriage to Fangfeng Bei, whether by her marrying into his family, or him into hers. 

So by all intents and purposes, it would appear that had Xiang Liu wanted, he could have married Xiao Yao with Fangfeng Bei's identity, with the blessings of the two kings.

H19279:
In my opinion, FFB identity must be killed in any case. If XY wanted to spend her life with XL, it must be the most authentic, true to the core of XL, the nine head demon  XL. XL would never accept living with her as FFB.

Yes. While he lived the life he would have led if he had no obligations to the Shen Nong army through Fangfeng Bei, he was still hiding behind a mask, detached from the world and the people he interacted with. Only as Xiang Liu was he his true self, his interactions the most genuine, from his heart - to Hong Jiang, his brothers-in-arms, and Xiao Yao (though she was not necessarily aware of it). 

H19279:
XY just did not have enough courage to face all the consequences. For the whole month she behaved as if he was not there. Many people say that they are not scared of quarreling wife/girlfriends but emotionlessness, ignorance is more scarier. 

By the time they were in Qingshui Town, I don't think she believed the option to be with Xiang Liu was available anymore. Despite everything she did, he had shown very clearly that he did not want to be with her, not even on a superficial level (through his killing of Fangfeng Bei), resolutely closing every door, every possibility of them being together, and even going one step further by deliberately destroying her reputation in the process. The symbolic opening and closing of the window before he sealed the window shut, was a very clear indication of this as well. Because of his cruel response, she could only retreat back within the hardened shell in an effort to protect herself once more. It was only in her intoxicated moments, under his spell, that she revealed the pain she was suffering the entire month, the hurt she mentioned being far more than just the physical pain, but the devastation to her broken heart:

As Xiang Liu covered her with a quilt, Xiao Yao suddenly opened her eyes. “Why?”

Xiang Liu stared at Xiao Yao, not knowing what exactly she was asking about. Was it why he forced her to break off her marriage? Or was it why he used his powers to probe into her heart?

Xiao Yao gave up asking and closed her eyes, murmuring, “I hurt so much... Xiang Liu, I hurt...

-- Vol 2 Ch15  (Chapter 32)

solarlunareclipse:
However, I believe if he were in his comrade's shoes and given the choice in the beginning of whether to steadfastly hold on to his convictions and die fighting for a fallen kingdom, or to peacefully accept the new world order and move on with his life, I believe he would have chosen the latter.

I think it really depends on what kind of loyalty Xiang Liu had to the fallen kingdom, and those who held on to their convictions. Remember that his choices are also influenced by the cause of those whom he cared for. So it is still debatable whether he would have chosen to fight with them, despite knowing they were going to certain death, or gone his separate way and learnt to adapt to the new order. 

solarlunareclipse:
Yes, it breaks my heart how both XL and XY never did themselves right and sacrificed themselves over and over again for the ones they loved.

All of them lived in troubled times, their lives not their own. A Heng chose to marry Shao Hao in order to protect her mother and Zhong Yi from Madam Tong Yu's manipulations, while Chi Chen promised the dying Flame Emperor to pledge his support for Yu Xiang as the new Shen Nong king. Xiao Yao reminded herself time and again not to allow Xiang Liu into her heart because of her bloodline, but it changed nothing anyway. Xiang Liu prepared the best for everyone he cared for, and only a general's death for himself. The only difference is that Xiang Liu went above and beyond to ensure that the woman he loved could protect herself and finally had the life she wanted, even if it was not with the one she loved. 

solarlunareclipse:
I just noticed that the Jin Tian clan was mentioned here. This explains why Xiang Liu had ties to them.

Actually this is not the 金天 Jintian family who forged Xiao Yao's bow.  This is 荆天 Jing Tian, the Shen Nong general who was originally the commander of the guards, who would later be the general in charge of rations of the Shen Nong army.

solarlunareclipse:
Did the remnant army actually strive to recreate the conquered kingdom of Shen Nong, or did they just want to honor their ancestors and their fallen comrades by not giving up fighting their conquerors/oppressors? Even XL seemed to think their cause was idiotic and hopeless, while hinting at secretly supporting unification.

I agree that the Shengnong remnant army's cause was futile / hopeless, which meant that they were really just fighting for the sake of their vow to never surrender / their belief that it was better to die fighting on the battlefield than to surrender to the kingdom that had invaded and conquered theirs. And possibly to help the people of the former Shengnong Kingdom who were now living under Xuan Yuan rule (as indicated in the script for S2 of the drama). 

But what was that hopeless cause? What would their pie-in-the-sky goal be if, against all odds, something changed (e.g., they managed to kill CX and got lucky with the aftermath, like the Xuan Yuan ended up being heavily divided by civil war) and it actually became possible for them to "win" / achieve their cause? 

Gong Gong turned down CX's offer of permitting Gong Gong to become a king and allowing him to rule the land around QS town. That was not sufficient to be considered a "win" (and also would have been contrary to Gong Gong's vow). So what other outcome would Gong Gong and his army fight for, beyond just dying?  Wouldn't one have to assume that they would be fighting to try to regain control over the full territory of the former Shengnong Kingdom that was taken over by Xuan Yuan / to try to restore the fallen Shengnong Kingdom?  That that was their hopeless cause?

-----

Chapter 5:

The soldier reported from outside, “General Xiang Liu, two more soldiers died.” Xiang Liu’s laughter stopped and he immediately stood up and walked out. Xiao Liu hesitated and walked to the door. There were two bodies on top of a pyre. Xiang Liu walked over where there were hundreds of soldiers lined up. He poured three cups of wine and then lit the pyre. Within the flames of the fire, the faces of the men showed their familiarity with death, but in the mournful sounds of the song they sang it conveyed their deep sorrow. Their singing wasn’t in unison, flitting in and out, as they wondered about their cause and what it all meant in the long run.

It was true that the Yellow Emperor forcibly took over the lands of Sheng Nong. But the Sheng Nong Kingdom was now no more and the people living there only wanted a peaceful life to live. They don’t care who the Emperor is, and even began to speak warmly of the Yellow Emperor’s intelligence and generosity. The people don’t care about the remaining Sheng Nong soldiers who refuse to surrender. Thousands of years later, their determination won’t be remembered.

Only by giving up and bowing low could they get a sweet wife, a cute kid, perhaps even wealth given by the Emperor. But they still persisted to cling on to their belief. To hold on to something most people no longer cared about. To risk their lives for it.

The wheels of history were already turning but they remained stubbornly rooted in place, with their arms outstretched trying to turn the wheels back. But they were people that time has forgotten, they are going against the tide, and they were destined to be obliterated. Xiao Liu knew they were foolish, and felt pity for them, but he also couldn’t help but feel respect towards them.

In this moment, Xiao Liu suddenly realized why his last mocking question to Xiang Liu about why he worked for Gong Gong doing pointless things, to suggest that he betray Gong Gong and throw his lot with the Yellow Emperor, that question would cause Xiang Liu to fly into a dark rage. In this world, there was a determination that may be destroyed, may be annihilated, but can never be mocked!

Xiang Liu slowly walked back with the sorrowful song lingering behind him. Xiao Liu leaned against the door and watched him walk in the blood red sunset, his white hair and white robe still pristine and untouched. Xiang Liu stopped in front of Xiao Liu, his cold gaze containing a measure of disdain, but it wasn’t clear if it was meant for the world or for himself.

Xiao Liu suddenly bowed. “I wanted to apologize for what I said last time.” Xiang Liu was expressionless as he entered the house. “If the medicine comes sooner, they can live a bit longer. They are warriors. If they are to die, it ought to be in front of the Yellow Emperor’s army.”

-----

Chapter 7 (long before CX became the Emperor of Xuan Yuan, when his death would have a very different impact as discussed in chapter 46):

“I’ll kill him before he leaves Qing Shui Town, then you won’t have to worry about how to remove the bug.”

Xiao Liu felt his legs weren’t shaking anymore so slid down his body and started swimming. “Can killing him bring back the Sheng Nong Kingdom?” “No.” “Did he ever go on the battlefield and kill Sheng Nong soldiers?” “No.” “Do you have a personal blood feud with him?” “No.”

“Then why do you still want to kill him?”

“My position. Knowing that he’s right under my watch and not killing him, I feel like I’m not doing my part.”

“You have some sort of principles?”

“To Sheng Nong I do.”

-----

Chapter 22:

“He wanted one of Sheng Nong Mountain’s peaks.”

“What do you mean?”

“I asked Xiang Liu the same thing and he said that all the resistance soldiers following General Gong Gong are unable to forget their homeland but are willing to fight for their cause. If they died they would still not be able to be buried in their homeland. Xiang Liu asked that if one day I were to become the Xuan Yuan Emperor, then I was to carve out one of Sheng Nong Mountain’s peaks as a sacred land and then all the dead resistance army soldiers who were cremated could have their ashes brought back and buried in the Sheng Nong Mountain they long for.

“Did you agree?”

Zhuan Xu sighed. “Even a little peak in Sheng Nong Mountain is still a peak in Sheng Nong Mountain! I know this is a big deal so I can’t readily agree. But I also couldn’t say no, and it wasn’t just because of you. It was because I also want to give those men a place to rest peacefully. They are my enemies on the battlefield and we do our best to kill each other, but I respect their fight!”

-----

Chapter 46:

One Spring day, the Black Emperor sent Little Zhu Rong to pay a visit to Gong Gong and request his surrender and joining of the kingdom. Gong Gong refused. Within the span of three months, the Black Emperor sent Little Zhu Rong three more times to see Gong Gong, each time with ever greater rewards and incentive. He even promised to make Gong Gong a regional King with his own armed forces, and allow him to govern the entire territory around Qing Shui Town. But Gong Gong turned it all down.

“Are you thinking about Xiang Liu?”

Xiao Yao looked down and said nothing.

Zhuan Xu said, “I know you have some connection with him, and truthfully I’m rather admiring of his ability and loyalty. I’m even envious of Gong Gong’s fierce and unbending connection with him, but the Sheng Nong Kingdom is a thing of the past……….I have to eliminate them!

“I know.” Xiao Yao was fully aware that Zhuan Xu did everything he could already to have them safely submit. The Xuan Yuan Kingdom had to fight this war, and for the Sheng Nong resistance army this would be a form of release. Zhuan Xu is doing nothing wrong, as the ruler of a kingdom he had to snuff out the final pocket of resistance, but Gong Gong and Xiang Liu were also not wrong in sticking with their loyalty and beliefs.

Xiao Yao raised her silver bow and pulled back an arrow aimed at Xiang Liu. “Gong Gong lives for his fallen kingdom and stubbornly refuses to surrender, that’s something admirable! But people cannot fight against the inevitable, now Xuan Yuan, Sheng Nong, and Gao Xing have all united, each of the tribes, clans, and families are coexisting peacefully. If you kill Zhuan Xu then the entire vast wilderness will be launched into disarray and war will begin again. Hundreds of thousands of people will be swept up in the devastation. Is this what Gong Gong wants in order to cling to his loyalty, be true to himself at the cost of the peace of the world?”

Xiang Liu smiled a sardonic grin. “If I kill Zhuan Xu, then it means the vast wilderness isn’t yet united. How can you say we’re going up against the inevitable?”

“You know in your heart whether what I’m saying is right or not!”

solarlunareclipse:
Even if the remnant army could have turned the tides and won the war, Shen Nong had no solid plans for leadership succession. Hong Jiang had already vowed that his purpose in fighting was not to gain power, and he viewed Little Zhu Rong as a traitor. Without a leadership succession plan and thoughtful governance plans, the remnant army's victory would have plunged the world into pure chaos.

I completely agree with all of this except for a minor point about what, specifically, would plunge the world into pure chaos. 

In addition to being futile because the remnant army did not have the necessary numbers / strength to regain control over the former territory of Shengnong from Xuan Yuan, their cause was also futile because they did not have a candidate to lead the kingdom even if they actually managed to succeed in restoring it. Making their cause doubly futile. I made a similar point about the lack of leadership options in this thread back in October.

AH :
It seems like the problem for Sheng Nong from the beginning of the war with Xuan Yuan was that Sheng Nong didn't have a viable potential leader after the Flame Emperor's death. Prince Yu Wang wasn't suited to the role when he was alive (he was soft-hearted, weak and indecisive, which was why the Flame Emperor was so keen to have powerful and decisive Qi Yo / Chi You promise to support him), and none of the great Generals were suited to ruling either. There wasn't a good candidate for the Sheng Nong factions to rally behind. Gong Gong suggested nominating someone, but even he didn't seem to have a candidate in mind.

It does seem to raise the question: what would Gong Gong have done in LYF if he actually succeeded in defeating Xuan Yuan in battle to the point of being able to restore Sheng Nong? Who would rule the re-established kingdom? Gong Gong vowed not to seek the power of a king. Xiao Zhong Rong surrendered to the Yellow Emperor. It doesn't seem like there was anyone else with any sort of claim. 

solarlunareclipse:
Without a leadership succession plan and thoughtful governance plans, the remnant army's victory would have plunged the world into pure chaos.

As for plunging the world into pure chaos, my sense was that it wouldn't be the Shengnong remnant army's total victory (i.e., their successful restoration of the Shengnong Kingdom) that would plunge the world into pure chaos. 

As XY noted in chapter 46, if the Shengnong remnant army succeeded in killing CX and in destabilizing and dividing Xuan Yuan (which, by that point, included the conquered territories of the former Shengnong and Gao Xing kingdoms) in an effort to achieve their goal, that would launch the entire world into disarray as various factions across Dahuang would go to war try to assert control over different parts of the vast wilderness (which would include the Shengnong remnant army continuing to try to fight to restore the Kingdom of Shengnong).