I finished watching all the episodes, and yes, I skipped a lot. Knowing the novel's ending did not help lessen the heartache, but  I felt relieved it was over. Now, I am moving back to the fanfiction. XL is still my favorite character, no matter what. XL forever!

liddi:

Gorgeous! Is this official merchandise?

HeadInTheClouds:

If it is, my wallet will abandoned me for life ?

LOL!

I look at these and think ... that guy totally has white hair.  lol

And, I'm like, WHY is it so hard to get right in the drama, and THIS gets it right??

MissUnderstood50:

I finished watching all the episodes, and yes, I skipped a lot. Knowing the novel's ending did not help lessen the heartache, but  I felt relieved it was over. Now, I am moving back to the fanfiction. XL is still my favorite character, no matter what. XL forever!

Nope.  Knowing the ending didn't stop me from crying one bit. :(

I was thinking ... I think part of the problem with the editing in season 2 is because they added some stuff, especially the meeting between XY and her mom, and then had to shift things around inbetween the episodes.

Plus, they spread out all the stuff that was in Episode 20 (the last one of the leaked script) into at least 2, maybe three episodes.

Kokuto:

I was thinking ... I think part of the problem with the editing in season 2 is because they added some stuff, especially the meeting between XY and her mom, and then had to shift things around inbetween the episodes.

Plus, they spread out all the stuff that was in Episode 20 (the last one of the leaked script) into at least 2, maybe three episodes.

Thats a valid point. I heard they orginally had no intention to add her meeting with mother.

Kokuto:
Apparently, I've got a permanent room in the Hotel Dahuang.   I'm getting ready to rewatch season 2.  lol

Goodness. Enjoy?

I've made the appalling decision to rewatch Princess Agents (of all dramas!). I'm half way through and it's checking so many boxes. 

Kokuto:
I just had a thought ... what if they announce a remake of Once Promised?   O_O

I shudder at the thought of how thoroughly budget constraints and censorship / other whitewashing would butcher the story and turn it into something unrecognizable. 

Kokuto:
This is true.  It should be called Fan Fix.  ;p

^^

Kokuto:
This is true.  Especially since he could rocking the sea shell with XY all along!

Lol, Kokuto is this the bothersome thing you would address in your own AU?

windiaaa041293:
♥️

Thank you for sharing those pics windiaaa041293!

I've been desparately wanting to see fanart or offical art for the ice crystal ball like this one for ages. 

Not gonna touch on the illogical events that transpired in S2 but after reading a comment and rereading excerpts in the novel, did XY leave CX also because she held resentment over him killing XL? In ch 50, CX promised that so long as XL didn’t continue to fight them, he would let him off (I trusted CX was being honest to her since he says that if XL continues to fight then he has no choice).

But when she learned of XL’s death…the paragraph in ch 51 says:

Xiao Yao kept talking and crying until gradually her words trailed off and she curled tightly in Jing’s arms and stared at the tall Phoenix Flower Tree. Blooms of red fell to the ground carried by the wind as if frames of each memory passing by, no matter how beautiful it would all pass with the wind.

Xiao Yao wearily closed her eyes “Jing, I want to leave!”

XY must’ve been reminded of CX in this scene here due to the Phoenix Flower tree. Do you think she would’ve stayed in Xuan Yuan if XL didn't die? Or would she have still left because CX did attempt to kill TSJ, or was it because of both - the fact he ends up hurting her by killing both ppl she loved?

@Sssnoopyyy

That's my interpretation. I believe she did forgive CX for killing jing, but I personally believe she couldn't get over the fact that she lost XL because of CX. Not exactly because CX didn't spare him in the last battle, but because of everything that happened from the day CX forced her to come back and get her real identity back. She made so many sacrifices for CX and in the end the first and only thing she ever asked of him was to let XL live. 

blabla100:

@Sssnoopyyy

That's my interpretation. I believe she did forgive CX for killing jing, but I personally believe she couldn't get over the fact that she lost XL because of CX. Not exactly because CX didn't spare him in the last battle, but because of everything that happened from the day CX forced her to come back and get her real identity back. 

CX forcing her to come back? You mean when she went home to Five Gods Mountain for 13 months and revealing her identity and biological father (please remind me, did she know CX was the one who spread the rumours because I don’t think she did)? Or do you mean right after they reunited after 300 yrs? Why do you think it was from that point?

It is sad tho because she always knew it was either CX or XL who would end up dead - she and CX were so close so it is sad she cannot look past it. Or perhaps even if she forgave him for TSJ - it was cuhs TSJ was luckily still alive, but this was the second blow to her so they cannot go back to their close relationship?

Sssnoopyyy:

CX forcing her to come back? You mean when she went home to Five Gods Mountain for 13 months and revealing her identity and biological father (please remind me, did she know CX was the one who spread the rumours because I don’t think she did)? Or do you mean right after they reunited after 300 yrs? Why do you think it was from that point?

No, when she was still WXL. She obviously didn't want to go back and was pretty much forced by CX. 

About knowing if it was CX who spread the rumours, I don't remember if it was mentioned, but I believe it was implied that she knew it was him, just that she didn't say it out loud.

blabla100:

No, when she was still WXL. She obviously didn't want to go back and was pretty much forced by CX. 

Ah I see, that was before he knew who she was. And she chose to reclaim her title as the princess to help him. I agree she sacrificed a lot for him, and only begged him for one thing. But realistically if he didn’t fight XL, XL would continue to fight back or maybe try to kill someone else besides FL. I just wonder how she thought it would’ve worked out if CX let it go (as he has tried to many times before). Tragic tbh that they are from two different sides and there was no way everyone could survive

HeadInTheClouds:

The First two, I'm not sure if they are official merchanise. 

Not every seller have Mini Chubby Listed. I gave you the links to two players that have Mini Chubby, but it's not in stock at the moment. Maybe it will come back in stock soon.

Chubby 1

Chubby 2

Mini Chubby 1

Mini Chubby 2

Thank you so much for the links! Wonder why Mao Qiu's mini version is out of stock compared to the others.

Incidentally, found this link too while browsing the eBay links you gave, which appears to be both official and in stock. Soooo tempted! Do you think with Mao Qiu so prominently featured in S2, we will see more official merch of it? I hope....

Mao Qiu 8cm pendant

Sssnoopyyy:
did XY leave CX also because she held resentment over him killing XL?

I believe so, yes. 

When XY confirmed that CX was responsible for TSJ's "death", that betrayal fundamentally changed her relationship with CX. At first she wanted to kill him. Later, she couldn't bring herself to kill CX and even "forgave" him because she wasn't able to hate CX. But she was able to give that forgiveness because she thought she was going to die (leaving CX forever) from the lethal dose of poison that she gave herself. 

When she didn't die, she found another way to leave CX forever: becoming the Royal Mother. 

After TSJ returned alive, he encouraged XY to not lose faith in CX due to CX's decision to kill TSJ. 

Before XY and TSJ's wedding, TSJ made it clear to Hu Zhen that he would not be returning to the Tushan clan and he would go wherever XY chose to go. 

On the morning of XY's wedding with TSJ, XY and CX reconciled a bit and CX promised to be XY's gege while she promised to wear his ruo mo flower every day for the rest of her life. 

Immediately after her wedding with TSJ, XY begged CX to spare XL's life. This was the last time she ever spoke to CX. 

The night after XY found out about XL's death, XY decided she wanted to leave Dahuang to go to the ocean to explore the islands that XL had mentioned. The ocean was the only place (apart from Jade Mountain, where TSJ could not stay) that was beyond CX's control. And she chose to disappear without saying goodbye to CX. 

-----

Chapter 47:

It was mere days since they last saw each other but it felt like a lifetime. Zhuan Xu tentatively called out, “Xiao Yao!”

Xiao Yao smiled. “You know I want to kill you yet you still came alone?”

Zhuan Xu asked, “If you weren’t certain I would come, then why wait here?”

Xiao Yao coolly said, “I thought I knew you well, but clearly I don’t anymore.”

Zhuan Xu’s eyes reflected his desolation and he asked, “Want to swing?”

“Yes!”

Zhuan Xu’s hands got tired but he didn’t want to stop. He knew this was the last time he would swing with Xiao Yao and he didn’t want to stop. Even if it was unending darkness he still wanted to keep pushing her on the swing.

Xiao Yao placed the basket before him. “I don’t know if I hate you, or I hate myself. Likely I hate both! Because I’ve always been certain that even if you make a mistake I would shoulder half the consequences with you.”

Zhuan Xu took a flower petal and sucked out the honey.

Xiao Yao asked, “Is it sweet?”

Zhuan Xu said, “Very sweet.”

Xiao Yao ate a flower. “When Grandmother died, we vowed before my mom, your mom, Auntie Ju Li, we promised them that we would always take care of each other, together and never apart. I did it, but you didn’t! Gege, you didn’t do it!”

Zhuan Xu ate a flower. “I know I didn’t do it, but it’s not because I helped kill Jing. It’s because I was wrong from the very beginning! I should have never used you as a chess piece. I shouldn’t have given you to Jing in order to get the help of the Tu Shan and Chi Sui clans.”

Xiao Yao said, “Grandfather keeps trying to lecture me these days about the greater good but I’m not my mom. My heart is very small and can only fit the people I care about, it doesn’t fit the entire world. I used to pretend I cared but that’s only because you cared. But now I hate you, so none of that matters to me at all!”

Zhuan Xu smiled. “None of that needs to matter to you!”

Xiao Yao said, “That’s why it doesn’t matter what Grandfather says, I still have to kill you because you killed Jing. Do you understand?”

Zhuan Xu smiled and patted Xiao Yao’s head. “I understand!”

Xiao Yao handed Zhuan Xu a phoenix flower. “After I kill you then I will die with you.”

Zhuan Xu said, “That’s good, I won’t rest easy leaving you behind. The people who hate Qi Yo, all the women on Zhi Jin Summit, Yu Jiang and those loyal subordinates……..I don’t feel safe leaving you to face them so I’ll keep you by my side.”

Xiao Yao ate a flower. “I had thought up all the cruelest ways to torture the person who killed Jing, but I won’t use it on you. I thought up this way, it’s sweet and won’t hurt at all.”

Zhuan Xu agreed. “It’s sweet.” He wanted to push her on the swing but had no strength anymore. He slowly sat down and patted the ground. “Sit down, otherwise you’ll fall off later and it’ll hurt.”

Xiao Yao stumbled off the swing and Zhuan Xu pulled her into his arms. She wanted to push him away but had no strength so nestled in his embrace.

Xiao Yao’s body had no strength so it was like when they were young, Zhuan Xu tightly held Xiao Yao in his arms. He asked, “You deal with poison all the time, how come the effect is faster on you?”

“I took the poison earlier than you, when I was sitting on the swing waiting for you I already poisoned myself. Actually, you shouldn’t have come. You really shouldn’t have come. When I left you the note I was hoping you wouldn’t come……” Xiao Yao’s tears fell.

Zhuan Xu wiped away her tears. “If I didn’t come then you planned to die alone under the swing? You want me to see with my own eyes the result of what I did? Xiao Yao, you are so cruel!”

Xiao Yao laughed. “My Grandfather is the Yellow Emperor, my father is Qi Yo, and my older brother is Zhuan Xu, each of you is one more vicious than the next. How could you expect me to be kind?”

Zhuan Xu laughed. “You’re right! How could a rabbit come from a cave of wolves!”

Xiao Yao smiled as her tears continued to fall.

Zhuan Xu softly asked, “Xiao Yao, if Jing killed me, would you punish Jing this way for me?”

“Jing would never hurt you! He knows how important you are to me. He would rather endure pain himself than to put me in such pain…..” Xiao Yao’s voice got softer and softer.

Zhuan Xu held Xiao Yao tightly and kissed her forehead. “Xiao Yao, I’m sorry! I was wrong! I was wrong!” From childhood until now he did everything and never regretted anything until now.

Zhuan Xu’s tears fell and Xiao Yao saw it and smiled. “Gege, Zhuan Xu…….I……..I forgive you! It’s too hard to hate you…….worse than cutting my own heart to pieces……I forgive you…….”

Zhuan Xu cried, “Xiao Yao, tell me! If we could do it all over again and I held you close after we reunited on Five Gods Mountain, with no chance for Jing to get close to you, would you have picked me?”

Xiao Yao was about to pass out but Zhuan Xu’s words took her back to the very beginning and it was as clear as yesterday, “When I was locked up in the cage by the nine-tailed fox, all I could think of was you…..all I missed was you….when you didn’t recognize me, I still used my life to save you…….back then…….there was no Jing yet………..” Xiao Yao’s voice trailed off.

Zhuan Xu cried out, “Xiao Yao! Xiao Yao!………..” but he could feel only silence as her breathing ceased.

-----

Chapter 48:

After some time Zhuan Xu asked in a hoarse voice, “Why am I still alive?”

Yin signed, “The poison dose was not enough to kill you. With Xiao Yao’s poison skills she would not have made a mistake, so she clearly never intended to kill you. Her poison mixture was deadly but she once taught me the antidote, plus the amount she gave you was low so if you were found within six hours then you could be saved. First I used the antidote to stop the poison, then the holy water from the Yang valley to flush it out of your body.”

Zhuan Xu murmured, “Xiao Yao, you still didn’t have the heart to kill me?” He didn’t know if he was sad or happy and then suddenly asked, “If Xiao Yao didn’t give me a lethal dosage, then what about her?” For every phoenix flower he ate, she ate one too, and she started eating when she arrived at the forest earlier than he did.

Yin replied, “The Miss dosed herself with enough poison to kill herself.”

Zhuan Xu rushed out of bed but paused at Yin’s frantic signing “What do you mean – she’s not dead but also not alive?”

Zhuan Xu stared at her, unable to decide whether he should go find Xiang Liu who likely could wake her up. He could afford any price Xiang Liu asked for, such as tens more years to let Gong Gong’s army stay alive. But should he wake Xiao Yao up? Is that really best for her?

The road here, Xiao Yao was by his side each step of the way. No matter what happened she steadfastly stood beside him. He wanted to wake her because he selfishly wanted her to continue to be by his side. But if Xiao Yao woke up, would she be willing to stay beside him?

He killed Jing!

Before Zhuan Xu thought he was dying, he apologized for the first and only time in his entire life. “I was wrong!” He said it not just because of Xiao Yao, but because he owed it to Jing. Xiao Yao said, “I forgive you!” but her forgiveness was built on their dying. She couldn’t get revenge for Jing so she chose death, using the most final method of leaving him.

Zhuan Xu knew that if Xiao Yao woke up, she would never stay with him. Rather than have her live in pain, he would rather her sleep in peace.

The long passage of time would turn a young woman’s beauty into an old woman’s wrinkles, but it would also soften the heartache and turn the longing into memory.

Zhuan Xu softly kissed Xiao Yao and vowed in his heart, “I hope when you wake up, you will have let everything go. No matter how long you sleep, I will wait for you. I will wait for when you agree to begin anew with me! One hundred years, one thousand years, I will always wait!”

-----

Chapter 49:

The Royal Mother leisurely said, “Sometimes the world is so big that anywhere can be home, sometimes the world is so big but nowhere to go and death is a release. Jade Mountain isn’t a good place, but it is cut off from the rest of the world. Xiao Yao, do you want to become the next Royal Mother and govern Jade Mountain?”

The Royal Mother’s expression was as if she already knew everything. Xiao Yao’s eyes teared up, the entire world belonged to Zhuan Xu and there was nowhere she could go to hide from him. Only Jade Mountain cut off from the entire world gave her a place to rest.

Xiao Yao replied, “I do!”

The Royal Mother clapped her hands and turned to Shiu Hong. “There, the matter is taken care of so you can disappear now.”

Shui Hong looked at Xiao Yao and sighed, “Can’t believe the one person who didn’t want to be on Jade Mountain the most now wants to stay here forever.” Shiu Hong picked up the items and walked off.

Lie Yang landed on a peach blossom branch. “Xiao Yao, being the Royal Mother means you will never be able to leave Jade Mountain for the rest of your life and must be alone forever. Have you really thought it through?”

Xiao Yao said, “I thought it through, the world may be vast but there is nowhere I can go now. Being the Royal Mother is my only resting place.” In the past she greedily sought out the sights and sounds of the outside world but now that she lost everything, nothing mattered to her anymore. She was tired and wanted only a peaceful spot to putter around for the rest of her life.

Lie Yang grew silent and Sir Bi wanted to object, but couldn’t find a reason to. Perhaps reaching this point, growing old on Jade Mountain really was Xiao Yao’s only choice.

Xiao Yao said to Zhuan Xu, “I woke two days ago and the Royal Mother wanted to send a message to you but I stopped her. I decided that day to become the next Royal Mother and she was worried I was being rash so gave me three days to think about it before announcing it to the world so I can change my mind. Zhuan Xu, no one is forcing me, this is my own choice!”

Zhuan Xu grabbed Xiao Yao’s hand tightly like he was never going to let go. “Why?”

Xiao Yao smiled so casually, like this had nothing to do with her. “Zhuan Xu, how can you not know why? I could have lived like an ordinary girl, marrying and having kids, living a simple, happy life. You took it all away from me! I can’t kill you, I can’t kill myself, I can’t even leave! The whole world knows I am Qi Yo’s daughter, the whole world is under your rule – if I can avoid people trying to kill me, I still can’t avoid your forces to bring me back. Zhuan Xu, the world is so vast but you’ve pushed me to the point of being with you or having nowhere else to go!”

“If you don’t become the Royal Mother, I can give up…….”

Xiao Yao shook her head. “Zhuan Xu, I’m tired, let me rest now!”

Zhuan Xu tightly held onto Xiao Yao’s hand pleading, “Xiao Yao, if you don’t become the Royal Mother I will give you any freedom you want, go anywhere you want!”

Xiao Yao got on her knees and raised her head to look up at Zhuan Xu, “Gege, please I beg you to remember all we shared and agree to let me be the Royal Mother. Give me a place to rest.”

Her expression was placid and in her dark depths there was no love or hate anymore, just nothingness.

He remembered when those eyes reflected intelligence and charm, beauty and wit. Those eyes showed happiness and sorrow, would get worried and mad…..even those last days on Sheng Nong Mountain those eyes reflected hatred.

But now there was nothing there! It was like a dried up well……..

Zhuan Xu was so shocked his body grew slack and he backed up a few steps.

Xiao Yao pulled her hand back and continued to kneel, no evidence of any emotion from her as she calmly pleaded, “Please will Gege agree to let me be the Royal Mother?”

Zhuan Xu didn’t dare look into those eyes because it was a reminder that the Xiao Yao who accompanied him the entire way and was never crushed by any obstacle was now dead to him. And it was he who pushed her to this point step by step!

Jing said, “When I went to Sheng Nong Mountain to look for you, I talked with the Yellow Emperor and realized I made a big mistake as well. Let’s go see the Black Emperor and talk things out.”

Xiao Yao hesitated, not because she didn’t want to see Zhuan Xu, but because she was afraid!

Jing said, “The Black Emperor is the person you trust the most. Don’t let one mistake make you lose faith in him. Have you thought about why he was willing to let you marry Feng Long, but tried to stop you from marrying me? He was just as pained in both instances.”

“Because….he thinks you’re not as good as Feng Long.”

Jing shook his head, “That’s just the surface reason, the most important reason is that His Majesty believes I don’t have the ability to protect you. He’s lost so much already, he could not place you in the care of someone weak. Tell me the way to the cliff.”

Xiao Yao docilely led the way.

Zhuan Xu stared hard at Jing one last time before silently walking past Xiao Yao and heading down the cliffs. His guards surrounded him but everyone kept their distance, making his lone figure seem even more isolated.

Xiao Yao’s eyes followed Zhuan Xu until his form disappeared from sight, as if watching the most important and precious part of her life vanish forever. Her body trembled and ached from the pain in her heart so she grabbed her chest with one hand as she leaned on Jing’s body for support.

-----

Chapter 50:

Hu Zhen saw through the underlying request, “Why not have you tell him? Are you planning to leave Qing Qiu?

Jing smiled. “Tonight I came to say my farewells.”

Jing Ye started crying again as Hu Zhen asked, “Where are you going?”

Jing glanced at Xiao Yao. “I go wherever Xiao Yao goes.”

Xiao Yao kneeled before Lei Zhu’s grave. “Grandmother, I’m here to see you.”

She cleaned the grave while talking. “Grandmother, I’m getting married. I wanted to bring him here but Dad says I can’t see him before the ceremony so I’ll bring him tomorrow to see you.”

Xiao Yao grew silent as she plucked the weeds and slowly her tears began to fall. Since she was a child, every trip to the graves was with Zhuan Xu. With someone beside her to help share in the pain, even sorrow seemed less heavy. This was her first trip here solo and so many memories from the past came flooding back……

A hand reached out to join Xiao Yao in cleaning the weeds and she raised her head to see Zhuan Xu through her hazy tears.

He was calm and collected with his lips pursed, just like when he was a child. Xiao Yao felt all the sadness bubble up and she burst out sobbing.

Zhuan Xu kept his head down and continued to clear the weeds until he was all done. He walked up to Xiao Yao and wrenched her ear. “Okay, stop crying! If you keep crying then Grandmother will think that I’m forcefully marrying you off!”

Xiao Yao grabbed her stinging ear and stared at Zhuan Xu in a daze.

Zhuan Xu turned his head and walked over to their Eldest Uncle’s grave and bowed three times. He also bowed three times to Auntie Ju Li’s grave beside it. He then cleared the weeds and Xiao Yao wiped her tears and walked over to join him. After bowing three times she started wiping down the tombs.

Each did their tasks silently, though Xiao Yao snuck a few peeks at Zhuan Xu but he never once glanced over at her.

After Zhuan Xu finished wiping he kneeled down and bowed three times. “Mom, I don’t hate you anymore. You said that one day I would meet a girl who I want to give the ruo mu flower to, and then I would understand why you did it. I’ve met her, Mom, and you told me that when I met her I needed to bring her here so you and Dad can see her. I brought her here, Mom, and I know you and Dad will like her very much.”

Zhuan Xu turned to Xiao Yao. “Come here!”

Xiao Yao stood frozen. “What do you want?”

Zhuan Xu opened his hand and in his palm was a bright red flower with a long stem and folded petals, brilliantly beautiful like it was just plucked. It was the Ruo Mu Clan’s mystical Ruo Mu tree and the flower that grew on it. Since the dawn of time the flower was only worn by the clan leader or the clan leader’s wife. Xiao Yao remembered that her Fourth Aunt always wore the flower in her hair pin. And on the day she committed suicide she handed the flower to Zhuan Xu.

Zhuan Xu said, “Xiao Yao, come here so my dad and mom can see you clearly.”

Xiao Yao didn’t move and instead started to scoot back and Zhuan Xu coolly said, “If you want the wedding to be cancelled then go ahead and leave.”

Xiao Yao angrily made a fist but moved next to Zhuan Xu while glaring at him.

Zhuan Xu looked her over and placed the ruo mu flower in her hair and smiled. “Really pretty! Mom, what do you think?”

Xiao Yao was about to say something when Zhuan Xu put his hand on her head. “Bow!”

It was to her Fourth Uncle and Fourth Auntie so Xiao Yao didn’t resist, she kneeled beside Zhuan Xu and the two respectfully bowed three times. After the third bow Xiao Yao suddenly felt weird, it was just like she and Zhuan Xu were a couple getting married and bowing three times to the parents during the wedding ceremony.

Xiao Yao asked, “Zhuan Xu, what do you want?”

Zhuan Xu said nothing and got up, walking over to Xiao Yao’s mom’s grave and started cleaning it.

Xiao Yao wanted to take out the ruo mu flower and toss it but it was her Fourth Auntie’s precious item…..Xiao Yao didn’t dare and didn’t have the heart to. She rushed over to Zhuan Xu and perhaps because this was her mom’s grave she got up her courage and yelled, “Zhuan Xu, I know you’re not suddenly deaf! What do you want? Today tell me in front of my mom, your parents, grandmother, and our uncles!”

Zhuan Xu coolly said, “After I clean up Auntie’s grave.”

All the air deflated from Xiao Yao and she sat down dutifully and stared at Zhuan Xu.

After Zhuan Xu plucked all the weeds and cleaned the tomb, he dug a hole and buried a knife inside.

Xiao Yao couldn’t help but ask. “What are you burying?”

“This is your dad’s military knife. It’s called the Qi Yo Knife and many people who hated your dad spent time trying to acquire it. I had it found and brought to me to bury it now with Auntie’s battle armor. Later when you come to pray at the grave it will finally feel like closure.”

Xiao Yao was so touched and could say nothing.

Zhuan Xu fixed the grave and then gestured for Xiao Yao to come over.

Xiao Yao kneeled in front of the grave as did Zhuan Xu, who said, “Auntie, Uncle, today Xiao Yao will marry Tu Shan Jing. You guys don’t need to worry, he’s not bad and will take good care of Xiao Yao.”

Xiao Yao turned in shock to gape at Zhuan Xu who looked at her. “Aren’t you going to bow to your mom and dad?”

Xiao Yao and Zhuan Xu kneeled side by side and bowed three times to her mom and dad.

Xiao Yao stood up and was going to rush back and change. She touched the ruo mu flower on her head to take it off.

Zhuan Xu said, “This flower is now yours and keep it safe. It’s not just a powerful mystical flower, it’s also the token of the Ruo Mu Clan. No matter when or where, this flower can command the entire clan’s military might.”

Xiao Yao’s heart softened. “Gege, you…….you…..did you come to attend the wedding and give me your blessings…….or………or, you know Fourth Auntie wanted you to give this flower to your wife…..”

Zhuan Xu asked, “Do you want to successfully marry Tu Shan Jing today?”

Xiao Yao turned to look across at all the graves. “I do!”

“Then promise me one thing and from this day forward I am only your Gege.”

Xiao Yao said, “I agree!” But she asked, “Tell me what first.”

Zhuan Xu said, “Wear this flower every day for the rest of your life.”

This easy? Xiao Yao touched the flower and thought, “Okay, I promise you!”

Zhuan Xu said, “In a short while during the wedding you can’t take it off either!”

Xiao Yao furrowed her brows. “Don’t be so difficult!”

“I’m the ruler of the entire world, and this is me taking the biggest step back already!” Zhuan Xu’s face was impassive and his voice steady.

Xiao Yao stomped her foot. “Fine, fine! I’ll wear it and I’m going to view it as Fourth Auntie’s present to me!”

Zhuan Xu smiled. “Whatever you want, you just have to always wear it!”

Xiao Yao glanced at the sun. “It’s almost the auspicious hour and I have to hurry!” She ran off but then came running back until she stood before Zhuan Xu all out of breath “From now on you’re still my Gege, and it’s the Gege that Grandmother asked you to be, right?”

“Yes!”

“You mean it?”

Zhuan Xu glanced over across the six graves. “Do I dare not mean it here?”

Xiao Yao wanted to smile but instead started to cry. She reached out her pinky and Zhuan Xu did the same and they pinky swore. When they were kids and about to do something naughty they would first pinky swear.

Xiao Yao wiped her tears and ran off while yelling, “Zhuan Xu, don’t you dare be late!”

Zhuan Xu watched until Xiao Yao was gone from sight before he looked away.

After the toasts everyone finished the meal and the Emperors got ready to return to Sheng Nong Mountain.

Walking them out, Xiao Yao suddenly called out “Gege, can I speak privately with you?”

Everyone continued walking, leaving Xiao Yao standing there with Zhuan Xu as she said, “I heard that Ru So’s relentless attack has backed Gong Gong’s army into a corner.”

Zhuan Xu said, “I was planning on a slow attrition to minimize casualties, but Feng Long’s death has left me no choice but to launch a full on assault.”

Xiao Yao said, “Gege, can you……can you……spare Xiang Liu?”

Zhuan Xu was shocked. “He killed Feng Long, don’t you want to avenge his death?”

“Killing Xiang Liu won’t bring Feng Long back.”

Zhuan Xu stared long and hard at Xiao Yao as she continued, “I know you are in a tough spot, but I’ve never asked you for a favor when it’s difficult for you. This is my first, and last time, begging you for something.”

“Is Xiang Liu Fang Feng Bei?” Zhuan Xu appeared to be asking Xiao Yao but his expression was certain.

Xiao Yao didn’t want to hide it anymore and woefully nodded.

“So that’s it! No wonder I’ve felt that certain things were so odd, but now it all makes sense. Are you two still seeing each other?”

“We’ve severed all ties. I never want to see him again in this lifetime and he certainly will also never want to see me. But no matter how he’s treated me……..I…..I still want him to stay alive.

Zhuan Xu took a deep breath. “Xiang Liu killed Feng Long and I need to give a reckoning to the Chi Sui clan and Sheng Nong tribe, otherwise it cannot appease the Middle Plains. But, as long as Xiang Liu is willing to stop, I can give him a chance to disappear.

“Disappear” doesn’t mean “die”, so this meant Zhuan Xu agreed with her pleading. Xiao Yao smiled brightly. “Thank you Gege!”

Don’t thank me. Grandfather and I tried countless times to bring Xiang Liu to our side and I even gave him carte blanche to name his terms. But he would never abandon or betray Gong Gong. Actually all this time it’s not I who wouldn’t stop, it’s him who wouldn’t stop. If he vows to fight to the death, then there is nothing I can do. I can’t sacrifice Ru So and the soldiers. His life is a life, but so are the lives of those fighting for me.”

Xiao Yao bit her lip and lowered her head as she quietly said, “I know.”

Zhuan Xu patted her on the shoulder. “He chose his path and now you’ve chosen yours and have done all you can do. I think you’ve done enough for the friendship. No matter what happens, you can forget him and forget it all!”

Xiao Yao nodded her head.

-----

Chapter 51:

Xiao Yao’s face was ashen white but she kept muttering the same lie over and over. “I’m fine! I was already prepared…..when I first met him I knew this day would come! I always knew!”

Xiao Yao murmured, “Even though I always reminded myself that he was Zhuan Xu’s enemy, but I…..I was not prepared for this! I really wish it was all a lie…..he’s so sneaky, he must’ve found a way to stay alive!”

Jing said nothing because he knew Xiao Yao didn’t need his response.

“It’s because he’s so sneaky that he doesn’t want to stay alive! One time he told me, “Actually, to a General, the best ending is dying on the battlefield.” So he chose for himself the best ending!”

“But what a bullshit best ending! He’s the stupidest idiot in this world! He stayed loyal and true to Gong Gong and all his soldier comrades but did he do himself right?”

“I’m the idiot actually. He never cared, so why do I have to be so hurt? I don’t want to be feeling so much hurt…”

Xiao Yao kept talking and crying until gradually her words trailed off and she curled tightly in Jing’s arms and stared at the tall Phoenix Flower Tree. Blooms of red fell to the ground carried by the wind as if frames of each memory passing by. No matter how beautiful, it would all pass with the wind.

Xiao Yao wearily closed her eyes. “Jing, I want to leave!”

“Where shall we go?”

“To the ocean! The millions of miles of ocean and unending horizon. Xiang Liu said there were endless uninhabited and uncharted islands, perhaps we can find a beautiful island to call home.”

“Sure!”

Xiao Yao packed her bags and it was mainly the wedding presents. 

The big-bellied doll wasn’t of any practical use, but Xiao Yao just thought it was so cute and holding it in her hands she liked it more and more. A big head, a big belly, it was wearing a round belly cover and had a pout on its lips, its smile so impish that Xiao Yao couldn’t help but burst out laughing in joy at it.

This was the first time Xiao Yao laughed in days and Jing let out a sigh of relief and said softly to Miao Pu, “Please pack this smiling doll safely to bring.”

On departure day, the sun was bright and the winds mild, a very suitable day for travel.

The Grand Emperor and Ah Nian accompanied them to the start of the highway where many people bid travelers farewell. Often they would hear cries and sniffles from other groups.

The Grand Emperor asked Xiao Yao and Jing, “Have you decided where you’re going?”

Jing replied, “No, just wander for a bit and if we can find a place both of us like then perhaps we will settle there.”

The Grand Emperor joked, “When you decide on where to settle, send word to us. Don’t go and disappear without a trace.”

Jing smiled and said nothing while Xiao Yao kneeled down with him and both bowed three times to the Grand Emperor. Xiao Yao said, “Dad, please take care of yourself. We are off now.”

The Grand Emperor sighed in resignation and said with a smile, “Off you go!”

Jing and Xiao Yao got on the cart and, with the clamor of horse hooves and wheels, soon they disappeared amongst the people and carts on the road.

The cart they were riding was ordinary and could not be distinguished from the other carts on the road.

The Grand Emperor had sharp eyes but soon he couldn’t not tell which was her cart. He saw countless carts on the road and everyone was the most ordinary human out there, and now Xiao Yao was one of them.

The Grand Emperor’s heart was sorrowful but also a sense of letting go.

Xiao Yao had the most noble and royal lineage in the entire world. Her mom tried to break free from it with all her might but she didn’t succeed. But now Xiao Yao succeeded.

Xiao Yao had the Face Forming Flower and Jing was the descendant of the Nine Tailed Fox. Once they departed, they could disappear forever.

The Grand Emperor already could sense Jing and Xiao Yao’s intentions but did not openly acknowledge it. He acted like it was a normal trip and would also let Zhuan Xu and the Yellow Emperor think that Xiao Yao was still living in Xuan Yuan Castle.

A few hundred years ago when Xiao Yao escaped Jade Mountain and wandered the world, it likely set in motion today’s ending. She returned briefly to the world of the Gods, from Five Gods Mountain to Xuan Yuan Mountain to Sheng Nong Mountain, she witnessed firsthand the unification of the entire Wilderness. Perhaps it was to complete her mother’s final wish to let Zhuan Xu safely ascend the throne, and today Xiao Yao had fulfilled her mother’s dying wish. Xiao Yao chose the path going forward of the water returning to the sea, the bird returning to the tree, once again returning to where she really belonged.

The Grand Emperor walked with Ah Nian slowly back to the blacksmith shop.

It was the busiest time in Xuan Yuan Castle, people walking on the streets and alleys, carts and horses jamming up the space. The sounds of vendors calling out mixed together, and Xiao Yao could be the lady selling wine in the shop, or the doctor napping in his clinic, or that lady chasing after her son with a fan…

The Grand Emperor could not help but smile, when Zhuan Xu discovered and then could not find Xiao Yao, he would undoubtedly be furious. But he would soon realize that Xiao Yao was the world of people and the world of people was Xiao Yao. As long as the entire world was at peace, then their Xiao Yao would be living happily.

Sssnoopyyy:
Do you think she would’ve stayed in Xuan Yuan if XL didn't die? Or would she have still left because CX did attempt to kill TSJ

I'm not certain. I think XY probably would have left to live a secuded life with TSJ (as was foreshadowed for them from chapter 8) even if CX was not responsible for killing XL... but given XY's passive personality and the fact that she had reconciled a bit with CX and TSJ was back alive, I think she would have had difficulty taking that step (to leave CX behind forever) and the longer she drew it out the more likely it would be that CX would be able to hook her back. Maybe get her to open a clinic in the capital. 

But XL's death was the push she needed to take that last step to free herself and leave for good. 

blabla100:
About knowing if it was CX who spread the rumours, I don't remember if it was mentioned, but I believe it was implied that she knew it was him, just that she didn't say it out loud.

I don't think she knew that CX was the person behind the rumours spreading. 

-----

Chapter 35:

Zhuan Xu was leaving when Jing asked, “Your majesty, why did you do that?”

Zhuan Xu slowly turned back around. The crowds were rushing past below the steps but on the steps, either the guards were keeping a barrier or there simply was no one else headed that way, it was oddly silent with only Jing and Zhuan Xu staring at each other under the lamp light.

Zhuan Xu had a mocking smile on the corner of his lips, “How did you find out?”

Jing said, “I initially thought it was the Empress since she wants to hurt Xiao Yao and has the power to spread the rumors. I thought Your majesty would be working to staunch the rumors but as much as I tried, even using the power of the three clans of Xi Ling, Gui Fang, and Tu Shan, it could not stop the rumors. I realized it didn’t appear to be the Empress since the power behind the rumors was too great. Tonight it appears Xiao Yao made all the choices, but if Your majesty wanted Xiao Yao to be undisturbed, then General Li Yuan and his group would not have been able to enter the restaurant. The only explanation is that Your majesty wanted Xiao Yao to accidentally meet General Li Yuan’s group.”

Zhuan Xu calmly said, “Feng Long told me once that you are smarter than anyone he knows. I didn’t really believe him then but today it appears you deserve Feng Long’s praise.”

Jing said, “Your majesty, it’s not Xiao Yao being not smart enough to figure it out, it’s that she will never ever believe that you would hurt her.”

Zhuan Xu’s smile vanished and he coldly said, “I did it because I want to protect her.”

Jing already knew Zhuan Xu’s intentions but to have it confirmed still shook him to the core. He silently stepped off the steps and bid farewell. “Your humble citizen I shall be going.”

@AH

Ah, you're right. I don't know why I thought she did figure it out, but she would rather not think about it.