@ray: thank you for this thread! I really enjoy reading it.

I am glad you started this thread so I have something abou LLTG to catch up with and fill the void since I have finished watching the drama.

Regarding the differences, I think I like the drama settings of CSS character better. She is herself not a modern girl transmigrated into CSS’s body.

Plot wise, the timeline of events in the drama is better as well.

CSS and Fifth Prince

In the drama, CSS and Fifth prince's "friendship" began at Empress' banquet. They were later accused by LJT's maid of doing indecent things. 

In the novel,  this happened right before Empress' banquet.  LJT maid lured CSS to the lake pavilion saying LJT has something to discuss,  but CSS who was careful enough to not go near the lake after her previous incident. (sus already). She ordered LJT maid to fetch cloak because she felt cold. At first the maid was reluctant but CSS persuaded her. CSS then changed direction, and near other lake pavilion, she met Fifth Prince who annoyed her. After Fifth Prince fell into water, CSS and Fifth Prince walked together to Changqiu Palace (Empress' Palace) but they met LBY on their way. She made a rumor that she saved him from the water (lol this sly fox). 

The Banquet Kiss Scene

In the drama, CSS kissed LBY's cheek in front of everyone. After that, she ran outside cutely. Then the Fifth Prince incident happened. 

In the novel, LBY guessed CSS's antics. He also told her she's not alone and he'd always protect her. After this,  CSS watched  LBY's qin performance and couldn't take her eyes off of him. When he came back and sat next to her,  CSS tried to kiss his mouth. But because she was tipsy,  she kissed his adam apple instead (Imagine if this was in the drama all hell will break lose lol). LBY,  a little bit dazed,  finally kissed her on the lips (GUYS? Get a room??). 

The Fifth Princess and Yongle Palace Murder Case

This whole incident was super crazy so I'll try my best to summarize it. 

In the drama,  after CSS took revenge, Consort Yue arrived to the Queen's Palace. She scolded Fifth Princess who had bullied CSS. Fifth Princess was punished. 

In the novel, Fifth Princess came to Queen's Palace covered in dung, complained about how CSS had set a trap. Consort Yue arrived with LBY and brought a corpse she found in her Palace. The corpse was the girl who accused LBY of doing indecent thing before. Because of that incident, Consort Yue locked her up in one of the room in the Palace for that as a punishment. Before the banquet, the girl was still alive. The next morning, she was found dead with wound on her throat. Then Luo Jitong's maid was missing. LJT seek her maid to Consort Yue's Palace. Because LJT was about to get married, Consort Yue thought it better for her not to be involved in these kind of thing so she sent LJT home. Fifth Princess accused that the killer was CSS because there's a golden hairpin on the corpse, and that golden pin was CSS's. But actually, Fifth Princess asked someone to planted the fake evidence. (Fifth Princess was so dumb tbh lol). 

Fifth Princess pointed out that CSS held grudges to the girl because of her accusation of LBY. LBY plainly said "Idk I don't think she has that much affection for me"  lmao boy knew it. 

CSS said it's impossible for her to kill the maid after the banquet because  Consort Yue's Palace has curfew. When asked what about before the banquet, Fifth Prince came out and became her alibi. 

Then LBY flatly said he already investigated this matter and it was Fifth Princess who planned this all. Empress was enraged decided to punish the Fifth Princess just like in the drama. LBY promised to give her "gift" (same with the drama), then proceed to ask Fifth Prince about the family of the girls who bullied CSS. After this event, LBY and CSS argued again. (this also happened in the drama). 

The amount of drama this book has... Good Lord. 

The LBY's Punishment Scene

This scene was actually pretty much the same in the novel and the drama, except in the novel CSS didn't confess her feeling loudly here. 

The aftermath scene was also the same with conversation about the lantern festival. In the novel, LBY confessed that after the arrow incident, he thought CSS liked him. Then he heard she's engaged to Lou Yao, he thought she's an easy woman (lol). CSS asked him then why were you so good to me when I was still engaged to AYao? LBY said that's because he didn't propose marriage to her and AYao did, so he couldn't really do anything. 

Also I liked this conversation in the novel:

LBY:  "If we had known each other long ago, we we quarrel less?"
CSS: "No. You and I, we're just naturally like this, always quarrelling, and will not back down."

AHHH we finished volume 3! Off to Volume 4.

RedPhoenix:

@ray: thank you for this thread! I really enjoy reading it.

I am glad you started this thread so I have something aboutLLTG to catch up with since I have finished watching the drama.

Regarding the differences, I think I like the drama settings of CSS character better. She is herself not a modern girl transmigrated into CSS’s body.

Plot wise, the timeline of events in the drama is better as well.

No worries! Same here, I'm still mentally locked down in this LLTG brainroot lol. 

In a sense, I also kinda like drama CSS more. I just like her youth innocence. Rebirth/transmigration theme seldom works for me,  because I usually feel bad for the original soul of the body. Novel/fictional works transmigration might still appeal me (just like in The Romance of Tiger and Rose). 

I like both CSS in the drama and novel for different reasons. Book CSS was more rational and calculating, which made me invested in her journey towards self empowerment and finding love. Drama CSS is a lovely mixture of naivete and cunningness, which endeared her to me and rendered me invested in her coming of age story.

LBY in the novel made me feel uncomfortable at times, but I did admire how the author crafted him as a combination of hero/anti-hero. So I was glad to see him toned down in the drama, while retaining his core essence.

And the book seems geared towards more mature audiences, since both LBY and CSS are very passionate, sensual and tactile beings. That definitely needed to change in drama.

WindBlows:

I like both CSS in the drama and novel for different reasons. Book CSS was more rational and calculating, which made me invested in her journey towards self empowerment and finding love. Drama CSS is a lovely mixture of naivete and cunningness, which endeared her to me and rendered me invested in her coming of age story.

LBY in the novel made me feel uncomfortable at times, but I did admire how the author crafted him as a combination of hero/anti-hero. So I was glad to see him toned down in the drama, while retaining his core essence.

And the book seems geared towards more mature audiences, since both LBY and CSS are very passionate, sensual and tactile beings. That definitely needed to change in drama.

Yeah their relationship in the novel was definitely much more "adult".  That's why I think both version have their own charm. 

Imagine if novel CSS met drama LBY, I don't think they will get back together with LBY being passive and all lol. If it's drama CSS met novel LBY, I don't think she could stand his oppression. 

So true! Novel CSS would long be married to YS by the time HBY woke up and actively sought her forgiveness lol. And poor drama CSS would be too afraid of novel LBY on many levels and would not fall in love with him.

LOL! I love the discussions we're having here. I think I am like you, @ray. I took like drama CSS more, at least based on what you've shared, because I also struggle with feeling so sad for the soul who is gone in that body, only to have a new soul take over. It feels odd to me. 

And @WindBlows, LOLLL! Yes, I think drama CSS would be scared of unhinged LBY too, because in the drama, she was already struggling to read him. 

Thanks so much for doing this Rays!! I am in serious LLTG hangover and rereading the awful Google translated English novel for the 2nd time and your summary and analysis is adding a lot more to my understanding! 

I completely agree that novel LBY is unhinged. In the novel he is that much more domineering, calculative, controlling but also more flirty, passionate and affectionate. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea but I, for one, AM HERE FOR IT. I love novel LBY lol. I love novel CSS as well. She's def more mature, pragmatic and cunning and even tho it was badly translated, I enjoyed her messed up sense of humour.

mtxo:

Thanks so much for doing this Rays!! I am in serious LLTG hangover and rereading the awful Google translated English novel for the 2nd time and your summary and analysis is adding a lot more to my understanding! 

I completely agree that novel LBY is unhinged. In the novel he is that much more domineering, calculative, controlling but also more flirty, passionate and affectionate. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea but I, for one, AM HERE FOR IT. I love novel LBY lol. I love novel CSS as well. She's def more mature, pragmatic and cunning and even tho it was badly translated, I enjoyed her messed up sense of humour.

You're welcome! The novel was very entertaining because both of them were extremely messed up so whatever their crazy actions were somehow fitting enough although at times they seemed unbelievable. I enjoyed reading it without much thought for pure entertainment pleasure. 

I wanted to ask you @rays, in the drama, it's later revealed by 3rd prince himself, that when they were young, he was the one who actually had saved Zisheng from drowning. However, Crown Princess at one point told CSS that it was Crown Prince who had saved Zisheng. The drama never had 3rd prince or Zisheng refute this, and left it be, until 3rd prince told CSS. What was that like in the novel, if it was there? Thank you again for your time in taking the efforts to go through this. 

rays:

Oh also for those who interested in the difference between the novel and the drama post-5 year separation, @SpicyLime made an elaborate post here https://mydramalist.com/discussions/love-like-the-galaxy-part-2/78421-time-skip-to-the-ending-recap-spoilers-and-novel-differences

Thanks for the tag. I love that you are doing this. I was considering starting from the beginning, but it would be a big feat. Glad you are taking the reins. Look forward to your updates and the discussions. Shoutout to everyone here. It's been a ride.

Since the novel is time travel. How do they explain whether CSS will travel back to her own time/world? Or did the original CSS die and the modern girl soul was reborn in her? 

KerryO:

Since the novel is time travel. How do they explain whether CSS will travel back to her own time/world? Or did the original CSS die and the modern girl soul was reborn in her? 

The original CSS had died due to fever. The present CSS (Yu Cailing) also had died in her previous life but her soul was reborn in the body of CSS. She lived as CSS until she died (again). 

kathleentheturtle:

I wanted to ask you @rays, in the drama, it's later revealed by 3rd prince himself, that when they were young, he was the one who actually had saved Zisheng from drowning. However, Crown Princess at one point told CSS that it was Crown Prince who had saved Zisheng. The drama never had 3rd prince or Zisheng refute this, and left it be, until 3rd prince told CSS. What was that like in the novel, if it was there? Thank you again for your time in taking the efforts to go through this. 

I'll answer, if you don't mind 🙂 The situation was similar in the novel, from what I remember. Both Zisheng and 3rd Prince liked to spend time alone as children. Zisheng fell into the water while 3rd Prince was hiding nearby and thus saved him from drowning. Since their personalities were compatible, they gradually became close.

The Crown Prince saving Zisheng was a misunderstanding. After the almost drowning incident, Zisheng began to practice staying/holding his breath underwater. One time CP saw him and thought Zisheng was drowning so went in to rescue him. Zisheng did not correct the CP's misunderstanding.

I believe the Empress knew as well about the misunderstanding, not sure though. It was agreed to let everyone think CP saved Zisheng because it made him look brave and good in general.

If I am incorrect about something, anyone please feel free to add information.

Thanks for this rays ! This is exactly what I've been looking for post-drama, I can read Chinese but it isn't my preferred language to read and this lovely compilation saved me lotsa time :P Having read the differences you've so succinctly listed down, I must say the scriptwriter of this drama actually did a really good job adapting it especially for the first half of the drama.