While i know they are not exactly comparable storywise ,i think a lot of the vibe the writer went in for was similar to the feel of Coffee Prince 

I loved Coffee Prince but I only watched 1 episode of My Ajhussi since it started getting political and I don't like political dramas 

Meh Coffee prince wishes it was even half decent as My mister. Its stupid to even compare them. My mister has better story, plot, music , pacing and interactions. Coffee prince was forgettable at best. There's no similarity at all.

SHSL-HopexLight:

Meh Coffee prince wishes it was even half decent as My mister. Its stupid to even compare them. My mister has better story, plot, music , pacing and interactions. Coffee prince was forgettable at best. There's no similarity at all.

Your comments make me wonder if you even saw Coffee Prince at all..

I saw both Coffee Prince and My Ajusshi and I have to say My Ajusshi wins by a mile.  True, it does not have a cast of hot young actors, and quite the opposite really as it features a bunch of middle-aged men down in their luck.  CP is mostly about romance and accepting your feelings even if your head tells you otherwise.  MA is about kindness, humanity, sacrifice, love in all forms, and dare I say it, even romance.  

I think there is no similarity and comparison cannot be done for those 2 dramas. Coffee Prince was a personal fave of mine years and years ago, but My Mister definitely wins for me. 

Coffee Prince was a trendy drama with its interesting plot and very much hot chemistry. If you saw it way before (when it aired, or just a year or two removed from airing in korea, like I did) then I am sure you loooooove it the same way I do. So when you recall it it, would put a smile in your face because it hits the right spots for romance (and bromance)with its squeal wothy moments. But if you were also like me, who re-watched it about 3 years ago,  the narrative and story itsel feels dated. Its great but i dont think it will thrive as an IT drama with the test of time.

And with My Mister, well I simply call it a masterpiece. Its probably more heavy than tthe usual trendy dramas right now. There is something really awesomely brilliant it its poignancy for life,  down to earth in its visual, basic in its grandeur, humane in its sacrifice, somber in its bliss, compelling in its pain, poetic in its romance and many many many other dazzling awesomeness. It touches you in all the right moments and at right places. I think it would totally go down into one of the best drama of all time, in any genre, any country. (Much like 1liter of tears, sandglass, nirvana in fire). This drama will stand the test of time in its awesomenss storytelling. 

But I do confess, I am probably way biased, because I am a huge fan of Kim Wonseok PD. His dramas Misaeng, and Signal are both my all time faves. And I do give credit on how awesome this drama is. The actors/actresses were sooo awesome, but Kim PD I give hats to you for this drama which is yet again awesome and brilliant.

But to each his/her own. As long as we enjoy both or one of these dramas, isnt that amazing in ts own....?!

Coffee Prince was one of my first and favourite Kdramas back then, and looking back now, it will stay that way since MM took over all my first rankings and all expectations for future dramas I watch. 

CP was a fresh, mostly lighthearted drama that had the vibe of most popular romantic comedies, (with lots of cliches and such) but MM is completely different from CP. It's not a romantic comedy, or a lighthearted conventional drama. Pretty much everything about MM is different than most dramas out there. The only similarity between the two is they both have Lee Sun Gyun playing in it...

I was watching MA, until the gangster hit the FL, and I could not stand it anymore ... does the violence continue in the following chapters?

tita_cba:

I was watching MA, until the gangster hit the FL, and I could not stand it anymore ... does the violence continue in the following chapters?

Don't worry, the violence  stops after the 2nd episode.  I was also repulsed by it, but thank goodness it did not carry on for too long.

Malory:

Don't worry, the violence  stops after the 2nd episode.  I was also repulsed by it, but thank goodness it did not carry on for too long.

Thank you!

I watched both and the only similarity I find is the amazing acting chops of LSK. He was my fave character in CP. Other than that it feels like comparing apples with oranges, they’re both fruits. 

Czakhareina:
I think there is no similarity and comparison cannot be done for those 2 dramas.

THIS! An eminently  sensible statement, thank you!

The thread in general shows the same trend obvious in the discussion of the 20 favourite j-dramas - that "heavy" or "dark" somehow intrinsically equals "better". I acknowledge My Ahjussi as a well-made and well-acted Drama, but so was Coffee Prince, another masterpiece - of its genre. And for those who diss the romcom (and they are legion), GOOD romcoms, especially good Korean romcoms, are very rare. Most feel compelled to add bitterness, pain and angst to the mix. Coffee Prince was a souffle that never sank, and cooks know how tricky that can be.

People watch what they watch. If people choose not to watch dark, depressing, angsty or bloody entertainment (perhaps because their own lives and/or the real world give them more than enough), that doesn't make their choices "worse", any more than finding entertainment in suffering automatically means that entertainment is better.

Idk how some people can say Coffee Prince is forgettable?  I mean,  disliking Coffee Prince is one thing.., but forgettable? Well, everyone are different so ... :) But its one of the very few k-dramas to  deal with stuff such as homosexuality etc, how can one forget about the ML struggling about him being "gay" and him accepting that he is in love with the FL believing its a guy and even during that time confessing his love/ kissing the FL. Gong Yoo is amazing in that role as Choi Han Kyul, who could forget his emotional rollercoaster? Also, Coffee Prince has lots of skinship and even sex, its not your typical korean drama where the OTP only kisses once with mouths closed without any movement lol. So in that sense Coffee Prince is mature and realistic :) I totally get why its so pupular as its still to this day (12 years after) very refreshing and proggessive. 

I will for sure watch My Ahjussi when I don't feel the need to have romance :) , I haven't heard not even one single negative thing about that show, so it must bee veeeery good~