You know funny thing is I first started watching J-dramas but once I stated watching K-dramas I fell in love with them. I haven't seen any good Japanese dramas lately which is sad. Korean dramas are just so much better in my opinion but umm some good Japanese dramas are Hana-kimi original version, zettai kareshi, Hana Yori dango, Mei-chan no shitsuji, Akai ito, koizora.....there's more but these are really great ones.
1 Litre of Tears - if you're in for a tearjerker - although there's also romance. (Based on a true story)
Koizora - similar in themes but is not based on a true story like the above one. (based off of a cellphone novel)

Bloody Monday - a mystery/suspense drama. Based off a manga.

Boku to Star no 99 Nichi - has some romance and also the main actress is Korean (and not dubbed)

Buzzer Beat - has some romance. Basketball/music

Hana Kimi - funny, loosely based off of a manga, has some romance but mainly comedy

Hana Yori Dango - based off a manga, romance, drama.

Kimi Wa Petto - based off a manga, romance, comedy [actually has some real kisses compared to some Jdramas]

Last Friends - mature themed, serious drama. Minor love.

Nobuta Wo Produce - funny drama, mostly about friendship. Based off a novel

Tatta Hitotsu no Koi - sweet story about first love

Zettai Kareshi - some romance, a bit cheesy but overall nice drama. Loosely based off a manga

I mentioned some that were already brought up but hope that helps. Basically just went through my list. [/size]
Chifunii wrote: Guilty Akuma to Keiyakushita Onna
Ryusei no Kizuna
Keizoku 2:SPEC (there's no romance but it's my #1 favorite)

I went on a hunt on my list to look for historical/action/romance...but in the end the ones I feel like recommending are just my favorites. xD

I don't know if you're up to watching Chinese dramas (I know I was apprehensive about watching them), but they did this beautiful historical+romance drama, Startling By Each Step, and it was mindblowingly good. The premise appears to be rather cliche, but the drama itself is looove. :)

Guilty seems interesting. I already have BU BU Jing Xin started :) I'll take other recommendations for Chinese dramas though :P
Raventhedark wrote: I am NOT prepared Lol

The Live version of Ranma I might be interested in, but like most of the rest were mentioned already... Is this all J-Drama has to offer? /sigh

What am I looking for? Something that isn't corny. Something that's NOT based on a manga. Something not based on School Romance And something that piques my interest... Seriously I saw the Liar Games thread earlier today. Although the plot seems a bit interesting I saw the preview video..... It was a total turn off......

I'm just going to go watch Bokami's suggestion now... >_> I have a feeling that's the only J-Drama I'll be able to handle.

sorry I don't like japanese stuff either but you should try http://mydramalist.com/japanese-drama/2663/don-quixote no romance but pretty darn good...you don't want comedy but http://mydramalist.com/japanese-drama/3166/risou-no-musuko is hysterical

and if you don't watch Nodame Cantable you are really missing out :D
Crazy4You wrote: 1 Litre of Tears - if you're in for a tearjerker - although there's also romance. (Based on a true story)
Koizora - similar in themes but is not based on a true story like the above one. (based off of a cellphone novel)

Bloody Monday - a mystery/suspense drama. Based off a manga.

Boku to Star no 99 Nichi - has some romance and also the main actress is Korean (and not dubbed)

Buzzer Beat - has some romance. Basketball/music

Hana Kimi - funny, loosely based off of a manga, has some romance but mainly comedy

Hana Yori Dango - based off a manga, romance, drama.

Kimi Wa Petto - based off a manga, romance, comedy [actually has some real kisses compared to some Jdramas]

Last Friends - mature themed, serious drama. Minor love.

Nobuta Wo Produce - funny drama, mostly about friendship. Based off a novel

Tatta Hitotsu no Koi - sweet story about first love

Zettai Kareshi - some romance, a bit cheesy but overall nice drama. Loosely based off a manga

I mentioned some that were already brought up but hope that helps. Basically just went through my list. [/size]

I'll probably give Boku a try since it has Kim Tae Hee <3
Raventhedark wrote: I am NOT prepared Lol

Jajaja...take calming breathes. It will be ok....maybe.

Raventhedark wrote: The Live version of Ranma I might be interested in, but like most of the rest were mentioned already... Is this all J-Drama has to offer?
/sigh

Probably...lol

I loved: Hungry! and Don Quixote

Neither of them has romance though...lol Which is probably why I loved them. :o

Raventhedark wrote: What am I looking for? Something that isn't corny. Something that's NOT based on a manga. Something not based on School Romance And something that piques my interest...

You are asking for too much...LOL Just kidding. :p
I think Japanese dramas have their own charms. They surely differ from Korean dramas but this thread makes them look like some unworthy little productions that shouldn't have been produced. To each his own.
Szasha wrote: I think Japanese dramas have their own charms. They surely differ from Korean dramas but this thread makes them look
like some unworthy little productions that shouldn't have been produced.

To each his own.

I agree. There are some Dramas you have to watch before you can criticise them.
Kurosagi is very good. I would definitely recommend that. It's got a bit of humor to it, a bit of action, and a bit of romance, plus a whole lot of drama. It's a revenge story about a guy that becomes a conman in order to con con-artists. Like a less altruistic version of Robin Hood. If you have heard of the American show White Collar, it has a similar concept.

MDL page
I guess I'm just asking to much. Boku is off to a good start though :2
Watch Smile (http://www.mydramalist.com/japanese-drama/16/smile) or Nobuta wo Produce...
You cannot ignore of course Hana Yori Dango and Hana Kimi ^^
goldenseal50 wrote: Ha! I found it..most romantic japanese drama lol is http://mydramalist.com/japanese-drama/56/tatta-hitotsu-no-koi

LisNoir wrote: I think Rain unnie liked (maybe loved) that. She gushed about it for weeks. I think she still does...lol

yes I did really like it for me it was a huge breakthrough the first Jdrama I didn't drop lol

The reason why i liked it so much is that it is a simple, sweet story with some emotional depth. Unlike other Jdramas I have seen where if its a comedy I just don't get the humour & find it strange & not to my taste.

As far as romance in Jdramas its practically non-existent. I find the acting in Jdramas to be quite wooden & deadpan/emotionless. I know the reverse could be argued that Kdramas are over the top emotional but thats what i like lol

Also on a purely superficial note I find the Kmen more attractive which helps :p
RainFlower wrote: As far as romance in Jdramas its practically non-existent. I find the acting in Jdramas to be quite wooden & deadpan/emotionless. I know the reverse could be argued that Kdramas are over the top emotional but thats what i like lol

Also on a purely superficial note I find the Kmen more attractive which helps :p

I agree...
search for actor 'takuya kimura'. most of his drama are good. I love japanese drama. many moral story about life, relationship, work etc. we could learn from hardworking japanese culture
Raven, how do you feel about dramas that are a bit more serious? There's a couple that aren't romantic comedies or action that I thought were really good.

LIFE

1 Litre of Tears