I would prefer a drama. If anybody knows any, please recommend! :)
I highly recommend JIN. It is sooooo good, although I'm not sure it's completely historical. Almost all the scenes happened during the Bunkyu year anyway.
Gou~ Himetachi no Sengoku It really shows those a bit messed-up ideas Japanese used to(???) considered valid in terms of country-ruling, power and submission. I got to understand their tradition more, even if cannot completely agree with their actions. It seems to be very accurate historically: it provides exact dates of the events add portrays many important political figures. It's shown from the women's point of view, so that is also interesting as they had no real power and were pawns in political game,and had a hard time keeping their identity.
I would recommend watching JIN too. Only historical drama i have seen but it's a great one.
Ohisama shows life during WW2. Atsuhime takes place during Shogun era. :)
addicted2dramas wrote: I would prefer a drama. If anybody knows any, please recommend! :)

There are a couple i have watch Fuurin Kazan is absolutely amazing It is set during set in the 16th century Based on Yamamoto kansuke a Strategist for the Takeda clan http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Fuurin_Kazan_(NHK)

Also Tenchijin is very good its also set in the warring era Tenchijin
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Tenchijin < There are a few wuxia dramas id recommend also set in qing/ming dynasty of china which are epic if you are a fan of martial arts Royal tramp Chinese version Taiwanese version is duke of mount deer 2000 Both are 10/10 Also the heaven sword and dragon saber also the legend of the condor heroes and the return of the condor heroes The book and the sword chinese paladin and chinese paladin 3 sword stained with royal blood which is about the fall of the Ming dynasty and fox volant of snowy mountain the handsome siblings these are all very good 30-50 episode each
If you want see really historical drama then search up Taiga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiga_drama )

- Yae no Sakura (2013) – set in the late 19th century period, about Yamamoto Yaeko, a woman born in a household part of Aizu Domain who participated in the Boshin War as a part of the Aizu Clan.

- Taira no Kiyomori (2012) – about Taira no Kiyomori, head of the Taira clan in the mid-12th century, who dominated the Court for a time, but whose clan was then defeated and destroyed in the Genpei War (1180–1185).

- Gō (2011) – about Ogō, niece of Oda Nobunaga, wife of Tokugawa Hidetada and sister of Toyotomi Hideyoshi's second wife Yodo-Dono

- Ryōmaden (2010) - The story centers on the life of 19th century Japanese historical figures Iwasaki Yatarō and Sakamoto Ryōma.

- Tenchijin (2009) - The story centers on the life of the 16th century samurai Naoe Kanetsugu.

For now there is 52 Taiga dramas released.
some of stuff I need to watch by myself for sure :) You can always check older films, chanbara and jidageki. I can recommend ones by Okamoto Kihachi - "Samurai Assassin" and "Sword of Doom", both from 60'. They're quite accurate but you should know something about Japanese history already before watching. You can watch also "13 Assassins" by Miike Takashi (if you don't mind a bit of gore), which is also a remake of the film from 63'. Hmm, like with taigas, not everything is very accurate about historical facts but you can be sure that the scenry like buildings or clothes are surely correct. Maybe little details but I don't like to find such mistakes.
Atsuhime is really good. It has many good actors (Miyazaki Aoi, Matsuda Shota...) and the storyline is interesting. Eita, who is one of my favourite Japanese actor is starring in this taiga drama too.
are you into samurai movies?? are you ok with old japanese movies?? then search akira kurosawa movies..

if you want latest good samurai movies try 13 assassins btw i dont like ichi and zatoichi the last was the worse zatoichi ever.
I would strongly recommend Wagaya no Rekishi also consider Karei Naru Ichizoku Nankyoku Tairiku Jin