Hello,

I've taken a break from drama watching and now that I have the time, I cannot seem to find something truly engaging. I think I could have watched a whole drama in the time I've been searching for one.

To this point, I kind of want to watch something that has that original Asian drama "charm". This is really frustrating because I cannot put in into articulate words. Where it's not necessarily about the the writing or drama quality or whatever, but it still has that addictive factor without strictly grading all of that.

The best example I can think of is Scarlet Heart Ryeo. It wasn't without it's plotholes or questionable acting/writing/characters, but it had so much heart and emotional connection and "Kdrama-ness" that I could not put it down. Other good examples: Love O2O, Because of Meeting You and Faith

TL;DR: a drama that is un-apologetically "very Asian drama" preferably with killer chemistry. Any country.

Are you open to older dramas? Because if you are, allow me to recommend Ruler of Your Own World.

It has the Korean drama "charm" that you're looking for, but 1) no bad guys, 2) the melodrama and tropes felt organic instead of melodramatic, 3) chemistry between the leads (FYI, it's not "please get a room ASAP"-kind of chemistry, more like "wow, I can picture you two hanging out together and just enjoying each other's company"-kind of chemistry"), 4) feels very life-affirming despite its subject matter

It's from 2003 so it's not as polished as newer dramas, of course, but it looks okay--certainly doesn't look as dated as some of the more "trendy" dramas of that time.

Maybe check  out:

• Autumn Concerto (Taiwan) - melodrama with Leads being former lovers. I dont know if you can call it having that asian charm but this was definitely one of my faves
  • New Tales of a Gisaeng (korea) - very long drama with some over extended arcs with 1 very questionable narrative but I think The two leads had smashing chemistry and their journey was so bittersweet
  • Stepmother and Daughter Blues (Japan) - very uniquely heartwarming japanese drama
  • Khun Chai Puttipat (Thailand) - has some very annoying villains but the two leads has so much chemistry 
  • With You (china) - very adorable coming of age drama

Thanks for the recs guys! I actually ended up watching this daily drama called The Promise. I highly recommend it and the main actress, Lee Yuri, totally nailed it! I think it put me into a daily/family drama phase.