Hey guys, could you please recommend me some dramas (any country) with a strong female lead similar to the one in the American tv series Nikita.

What I like about Nikita is she's strong (physically & mentally), smart and an elite in her field. If anyone's read Love Bugged by Solangel, the main character (Tamhee) in that story is exactly what I've described and also what made me like Nikita. 

Even if the female lead isn't a physical fighter, if she can get her way with her strong words or smart manipulation then that's cool with me

I prefer a dark sort of storyline so no romantic comedies please. 

A male character (lead, villain or supporting) obsessive/possessive over the female lead would be a big bonus! Gangsters, underworld, secret organisations, killing, kidnapping, abusive, dominance, jealousy, slap/kiss etc nothing is taboo

I've tried Siyah Beyaz Aşk after searching through the forums but the female lead just wasn't strong enough for me (I definitely loved how she would stand up & talk back to people but she never ended up getting her way anyway)

I hope there is something out there that matches these descriptions. Would really appreciate your recommendations!

I believe there is actually two versions of Nikita--the more recent 2010-13 version and an older 1997 version called La Femme Nikita. If you watched one, try the other!

Another American series very similar to Nikita is Alias with Jennifer Garner. It's a spy/espionage series and I personally loved it. There's a villain that shows up later in the series and while he never falls in the love with the FL, they do have some fun encounters. 

As far as Asian dramas go, I think your best bets would be Empress Ki and  Angry Mom. Empress Ki is excellent. Not only does it have everything you want (physically strong, intelligent and charismatic FL with multiple males obsessing over her) it is very well written written and produced. You might have severe withdrawal. All of the above applies to Angry Mom as well, except for multiple obsessive males part. There is one that has kind of a crush on her and even though it never goes anywhere, they have more chemistry than some actual kdrama couples. 

Princess Agents is good as well, but the pacing is somewhat off. While the main female lead always remains her strong badass self (as far as I watched), the story stops being about her in general.

Also, you could try Hide and Seek. It's an interesting beast. While the female lead is the elite of her field and not a weakling physically (aka basically a badass), she is not equipped with the best plot armor so she doesn't always "win." Personally, I think it is refreshing but it could lessen her appeal. The problem with the drama is everyone else. I don't even mind the other female lead (it's actually hard to tell who is 1st/2nd in this one because they switched the traditional character archetypes around) but I hate all of the male leads. 

Wow, that was long. Hope you find something you like!

@Quitme

Here is a list I have compiled... hope it can help

https://mydramalist.com/list/E1VxJzp3

Oh I actually didn’t know there was a previous version Nikita, I might consider checking it out but since it is quite old I’ll watch your other recommendations first

I’ve seen Empress Ki recommended a lot and really want to check it out but I’ve heard it has a real tear jerker ending and I’m not ready to go through that yet lol I’ll keep it in the back of my mind for now

Thanks @Hanah! I’ll give your recommendations a go!

Wow thank you @KingARMY! I'll check out your list!

Please continue to give recommendations if you think of any more!

(some other stuff I can think of with female characters that I liked are : The Empress of China, Windstruck movie, My Ahjusshi, Orphan Black)

Quitme:
What I like about Nikita is she's strong (physically & mentally), smart and an elite in her field. If anyone's read Love Bugged by Solangel, the main character (Tamhee) in that story is exactly what I've described and also what made me like Nikita.

Even if the female lead isn't a physical fighter, if she can get her way with her strong words or smart manipulation then that's cool with me

I prefer a dark sort of storyline so no romantic comedies please.

A male character (lead, villain or supporting) obsessive/possessive over the female lead would be a big bonus!
  • The Villainess - elite female assassin + a somewhat possessive / obsessive male character + a very dark / violent / tragic storyline (although she's a badass, I did feel like she was never really in control of her own fate, and the storyline is pretty brutal; it felt a bit like watching someone play a really violent video game for two hours)
  • Mulan (2009) - becomes a legendary general + a tragic storyline
  • Mr. Sunshine - smart, mentally strong, elite sniper (and can use her rifle in hand-to-hand combat when necessary) + multiple obsessive / possessive male characters + dark / tragic storyline
  • Misty - mentally strong, smart, elite / top of her field (award winning journalist), can get her way with her strong words + multiple obsessive / possessive male characters + dark / tragic storyline
  • Princess Agents - physically strong, becomes an elite fighter / general + multiple obsessive / possessive male characters + dark / tragic storyline
  • Mad Dog - elite in her field - she's part of a team of ... kind of like bounty hunters? They pursue and expose white collar criminals who perpetrate insurance fraud and collect the reward. She's physically strong, but more of a gymnast than a fighter. She often plays a spy-like role and manipulates targets while collecting evidence. This drama covers some serious and emotional topics, but it's not as tragic as the others (which might be a good thing if you're not looking for tear-jerkers). 
  • City Hunter - the FL is a Blue House security agent (South Korea's version of the White House); she is physically strong and elite in her field + possessive male lead + dark storyline -- however this drama focuses heavily on the ML

Quote:

1)Even if the female lead isn't a physical fighter, if she can get her way with her strong words or smart manipulation then that's cool with me
2)I prefer a dark sort of storyline so no romantic comedies please.
3) A male character (lead, villain or supporting) obsessive/possessive over the female lead would be a big bonus! Gangsters, underworld, secret organisations, killing, kidnapping, abusive, dominance, jealousy, slap/kiss etc nothing is taboo

What comes to my mind:

Cruel City (1+2+3) Dark and beautiful story

Cruel Romance (2+3) Obsessive gangster to the max

Bloody Romance (1+2+3) Female lead lives in human bondage within a secret group of assassins

Legend of MiYue (1 +2) The females are the predators here

Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (2 +3) Starting light, becoming darker with each episode

And I agree with Hana: Empress Ki and Angry Mom are really good.

@Hanah, which country is Nikita??? 

Thanks @AH @appleeye for your recommendations!

I just finished Angry mom and Misty

I really enjoyed Angry mom, indeed there was great chemistry between the FL & the guy with a crush haha but omg how I LOVED Misty! That was amazing! It had everything I was looking for! Even the mystery/thriller was so well done. Absolute best!

I'm now tossing up between starting Princess Agents or Bloody Romance. I think I may try Bloody Romance first.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. Please do keep them coming if there's more. Feel free to re-mention some if you really think they fit the description

Quitme:
omg how I LOVED Misty! That was amazing! It had everything I was looking for! Even the mystery/thriller was so well done. Absolute best!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

Quitme:
I'm now tossing up between starting Princess Agents or Bloody Romance.

If you weren't put off by the ending in Misty I think you'd enjoy Princess Agents. Especially the second half when the FL has more agency. You won't miss much if you skip the scenes that don't include the ML and FL. 

AH :

I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

If you weren't put off by the ending in Misty I think you'd enjoy Princess Agents. Especially the second half when the FL has more agency. You won't miss much if you skip the scenes that don't include the ML and FL. 

Thank you! I just started Bloody Romance but I'll definitely watch Princess Agents right after!

redxxxcrimson:

@Hanah, which country is Nikita??? 

Both versions of the TV series (La Femme Nikita; Nikita) are American, but they are based off the original film, which is French. 

I totally forgot about Misty. I'm "saving" that drama (don't know if anyone else does this lol?) but it would definitely fit! 

To be honest, I am a bit cautious with recs on this cause while I would argue that strong/smart/assertive females are the trend these days, there are very few true "badass" types. So, I would encourage you not to worry about the ending for Empress Ki and watch it. She's basically the poster child of badass female leads (physically + emotionally + intellectually).

Hanah:

Both versions of the TV series (La Femme Nikita; Nikita) are American, but they are based off the original film, which is French. 

I totally forgot about Misty. I'm "saving" that drama (don't know if anyone else does this lol?) but it would definitely fit! 

To be honest, I am a bit cautious with recs on this cause while I would argue that strong/smart/assertive females are the trend these days, there are very few true "badass" types. So, I would encourage you not to worry about the ending for Empress Ki and watch it. She's basically the poster child of badass female leads (physically + emotionally + intellectually). 

I get too curious to 'save' dramas and end up just watching everything ahaha but Misty is worth it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Alright, sounds like I will be watching Empress Ki sooner than later! Hahaha

Hanah:

I always have a bunch of dramas in my PTW list that I know I want to watch soonish but haven't yet because I'm waiting to be in the right mood for them ^^"

Scarlet heart

Summer's Desire (very possessive)

Beating Again

Empress of China

Women's Secret

Meteor Garden (male is possessive, badass female lead)

Boys Over Flowers (the Korean version of Meteor Garden, strong female lead)

This Is My love/My Love Eun Dong (obsessed with the female lead)

Noble my Love

Secret

Kill Me Heal Me (strong female lead, and badass "male lead)

Princess Weiyoung (badass female lead)

Since you said from "any country" here's some additional shows that may interest you:

• The Handmaid's Tale | If you haven't watched this HULU show, you're in for a treat! FL is badass and finds ways to revel, even after women had been stripped from all their rights in this semi-post-apocalyptic world.  
  • The Originals | Very artistic with compelling and morally ambiguous characters. Though the main character is a man, there's plenty of strong women around him. This one is also already over, so you can enjoy it from start to finish without having to wait for the next chapter.
  • Killjoys | If you are looking for a female protagonist that's both badass and beautiful,  look no further. She's an assassin turn leader of her rag-tag team of mercenaries. She's not only the lead character, but this is always her story too.
  • Sense 8 | Really interesting concept. You have eight protagonists, half of which are strong and smart women, each in their own unique way!
  • The 100th | This is a series that start dubious but it gets better and better. You get many amazing female characters, all central to the story. To the point that the ratio between men and women prominent in the show is about half and half (something almost unheard of, since the standard, is to maybe get a girl for every four guys :/).
  • The Fall | Awesome female prosecutor vs a psychopathic killer. This makes for a very addictive show.
  • Fringe | A great sci-fi show, where a genius doctor helps a female detective out. This is a show similar to Castle and Bones, both of which also feature a strong female lead.  Though, unlike Fringe, I dropped both Castle and Bones because they were too long and I lost interest.
  • Penny Dreadful | a dark fairytale meets the exorcist. This one is dark and gritty, but oh, so good! And, of course, the main character is a complex, but a strong female character. Unfortunately, the ratio here is one female per 5 guys (something to consider).  
  • If you're into superhero shows, then I recommend the following from Netflix: Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Punisher (you need to watch daredevil first before this one) and the Defenders. All of these shows feature strong women characters, in some more prominent than others.
  • Game of Thrones | You get quite a number of strong women, all in different ways, involved in the story.
  • Marco Polo | main protagonist is a man, but there's plenty of strong women (warriors) also involved in his life.