When I was 14 years old, I saw my first ever Korean movie which was He Was Cool (2004). Since that moment, I was infatuated with Asian movies and dramas and the years that followed, I watched hundreds of them. They were my life. 

I became depressed in 2016, and the three years that followed I was a recluse and didn’t leave the house. I spent most of my time watching dramas and movies which I will forever be thankful for. I finally managed to pull myself together and left the house for the first time late last year, and since then, I haven’t been able to watch many Asian dramas or movies due to getting used to the world again and living. 

I’m so sad that I suddenly want to start watching again but I feel lost and overwhelmed. What have I missed and what are your favourite dramas from the past year or so? Please fill me in if you can and give me lots of recommendations! Thank you ❤️

Put Your Head on My Shoulder: If you like fluff, this is a good drama. The couple is quite cute, and there aren't angsty misunderstandings...quite a stress-free drama to watch.

Someday or One Day: This was a big hit! It's only 13 episodes, but it has been praised for being well-written and well-acted. The drama might be a little slow to warm up to in the beginning, but there are so many interesting twists and revelations. The series deals with some dark topics though. If you're looking for something different in dramas, this one would be a good choice. 

The King's Avatar: I'm not a fan of games, but this was really fun to watch. This also had a slow start, but once you keep going, you'll find yourself attached to the characters. It's a really great story about friendships and the grind to get to the top. There's no romance in this, which probably turns some people off, but I feel leaving that out really let the story stand out more.

A Little Reunion: I love this drama. It is centered around three families who all have kids that are in high school. There's added pressure on those kids to do well because the parents want to ensure they get into a good university that will set them up for their future. More than that though, this drama focuses on the hardships and sacrifices parents go through but also their errors when raising their kids. It's really heart-warming and wholesome. 

I hope you are well. 

I'm not sure which genres you prefer, but judging by your list, I assume you like romance and light-hearted dramas?

China:

Korea:

Hi, my fellow 1990‘s child (or at least close). I‘m very glad that you are doing better now :D. As for 2019-2020 dramas, I have enjoyed quite a few of them, such as:

Romance is a Bonus Book - Best friends to lovers super sweet romance and very interesting work setting, almost slice of life-y.

Her Private Life - If you enjoy kpop, this will be funny/relatable as the lead is a kpop stan. Plus the leads have great chemistry.

Put Your Head On My Shoulder - I second the other users who recommended this.

A Little Thing Called First Love - High school / college romance. So many cute moments that made me smile. Just a heads up,  leads are quite young actors, so this won’t be skinship galore.

Le Coup de Foudre - Another high school to adult romance. I’ll be honest, in the beginning it dragged for me, but I ended up loving it so much.

The Tale of Nokdu - If you enjoy historical romances, this one was great, funny, but also dramatic as the genre tends to be.

Search: WWW - If you are in the mood for something different. It still has great romance but it’s more about female empowerment and business conflict.

Touch Your Heart - Lee Dong Wook as a serious lawyer in a romance, yes please.

One Spring Night - I have a very soft spot for Jung Hae In haha. Also, this drama touched upon a social stigma in Korea that I had never seen in dramas before.

XX - Web series on youtube, but I was surprised at how good it was, really nice visuals, cute romance, but realistic and also not a long commitment to finish it.

Oh also, I haven’t seen these, but I know they are highly popular and recommended recent dramas: Crash Landing On You, When The Camellia Blooms, Itaewon Class and Hospital Playlist.

I‘m sure you’ll have a great time watching some dramas soon :D