Streaming Service

This discussion has been closed.

I've looked and not seen this anywhere - so apologies if i'm blind...

One thing I find myself constantly struggling with is finding shows that I can't actually watch (excluding VPN-based options).

Here in the UK I can get Netflix-UK, Viki and Viki-Pass.  In the US, you'd have Netflix-US, Viki, Viki Pass and Viki Pass Plus (which I believe includes Kocowa content).  Netflix UK and US not necessarily being the same content either.

It's something that'd require a bunch of editing and maintenance but has there been consideration for adding a searchable and filterable field so that shows can note which streaming services they are available on? 

I'm not sure whether the likes of Netflix and Viki have a REST API or something you can query to automate the process but if possible, it would help a lot and would help those streaming services make the content they have available much more visible via this excellent site (which I always use to find shows now).

Thanks for your time - and keep up the great work on the site!

0votes

It is something we will be implementing soon but to make it harder, most of the streaming provider does not have a public API.

Looking into it a bit... it seems Netflix used to have an API but they've deprecated it and closed it down at this point which is disappointing.

However - there are unofficial alternatives apparently but not sure how they work if there's no actual Netflix API for them to use!  Maybe they're web crawling to build their own database.

uNoGS API "Unofficial Netflix Online Global Search API" seems to be one.

There's Streamzui which is for Amazon Prime Video

UTelly API covers tons - Neflix, Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Instant Video, iTunes, Now TV, TalkTalk TV Store, Google Play, BBC Iplayer, All4, My5, Rakuten TV  and ITV Hub.

Seems like UTelly would be awesome to play with and I wonder if "Rakuten TV" would incorporate Viki.

For Viki directly they have an API currently on v4  which you can google (it won't let me link).

Are there any other good recommended sites that people stream from? It may be that with enough momentum particularly via the major streaming sites noted above, getting other sites to add an API may be a possibility (it's not a hard request to fulfill on their side really).

Anyway hope this helps. I might download that UTelly one and have a play, that looks intriguing!

Matt.

Thanks, Matt,

I believe we tried Utelly but I didn't give great results. We are looking into other alternatives.

Sleepninja locked this Sep 9, 2020 09:51 pm