Hi, is it possible to add singapore dramas ? I have seen a lot of dramas from singapore in MDL but as if they were chineses or from Hong Kong.

172votes
Hessa Volunteer Staff

I agree with this since we already have Singaporian content and Skye-N-Rain doesn't want to delete the pages, so why not just add a Singaporean database?

I'm surprised there isn't a database for Singaporian dramas on MDL.  I'm watching My Star Bride 过江新娘 at the moment on Mewatch. It's excellent.  So...I started searching for info about other Singaporean dramas after MDL turned up empty, and  I found very little information via google. I wonder if there are plans to add them in the future to add them to MDL.
I would also love recommendations if anyone has them for Singaporian Romance or RomComs worth my time. 

Agreed too. I wanted to add a drama to the database but didn't because it was from Singapore.

I watch "Mind Jumper" on meWATCH right now and have to take track via bookmarks. It's a very good mystery investigation drama.

I think one problem of Singapore as category would be where to draw the line in the languages. A singaporian series or movie is not in general mandarin. They could be in malai, english/singlish, ... So there is a need for a language flag or only allow mandarin/chinese entries.

It's the mirrored problem of chinese entries. I like mandarin dramas but "cannot" watch any taiwanese or cantonese dramas. Taiwan is too cringe or childish and Hongkong to gore/intense. So I need to check the "country" tag. Singapore has not the best stories or best production quality, but they are improving and need to be found by "new fans".

maelyt:

I watch "Mind Jumper" on meWATCH right now and have to take track via bookmarks. It's a very good mystery investigation drama.

I think one problem of Singapore as category would be where to draw the line in the languages. A singaporian series or movie is not in general mandarin. They could be in malai, english/singlish, ... So there is a need for a language flag or only allow mandarin/chinese entries.

It's the mirrored problem of chinese entries. I like mandarin dramas but "cannot" watch any taiwanese or cantonese dramas. Taiwan is too cringe or childish and Hongkong to gore/intense. So I need to check the "country" tag. Singapore has not the best stories or best production quality, but they are improving and need to be found by "new fans".

I think the same: Singaporean dramas are not comparable with dramas from other countries (like Korea or Japan), but I think they are better than Philippine dramas; I couldn't finish any of them.

A very important advantage that these dramas have over the others is that all the dramas have English subtitles (at least the most recent ones) so we don't need to wait for a fansub.

I hope we can add these dramas to the database. There are some of them that I really liked.

I agree. They may not be as polished as some regions' dramas, still, Singaporean dramas do bring their own unique flavor to the table. The few I have seen have stood out. The fact that they are already subbed in English would make it an ideal option to be included on MDL.  PLUS, MeWatch allows their dramas to be viewed globally for free, so they are not hard to find.  I am sure there are other places Singaporean content can be accessed as well.

Other than the time and energy of the web and app developers need to invest in setting up a structure for it, I don't see why MDL couldn't add it here. 

On dramaflavor I saw a singaporean drama that was listed as Taiwan (I didn't know it was singaporean) and I tried to add the title here but got reject because it was Singaporean. Since Hessa said about here having already Singaporean content why not add Singapore to the database. I found some drama (that I think that could be from Singapore)  in other site beside mewatch, so I think is possible.

I absolutely support this recommendation.  We need a refreshing difference.  Watching the same old, same old style repeated again in different settings got boring.

Bumping this as I hope Singapore can be part of the website. Earlier today I watched https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_Season_(film) and I was suprised that I couldn't add it to my list. I then tried to add the title and only then realized that it's not here because it's from Singapore. 

I imagine there are many other titles that share the same problem.

yes, please do add a singaporean drama tag! We have a few good dramas in different languages! 

I'm interested to see some singaporean dramas, after reading the article about My Star Bride!! Sad that I didn't knew about it before and I probably would if it had on this site cause this is my source for all my dramas.

maelyt:

Not entirely true. Singapore produces a lot of Chinese drama in Mandarin. Anyway, dramas from Philippines or Japan are not in Mandarin either.

Drama Addict :

Not entirely true. Singapore produces a lot of Chinese drama in Mandarin. Anyway, dramas from Philippines or Japan are not in Mandarin either.

What part of my comment is not true?

maelyt:

What part of my comment is not true? 

The part that it is a problem because I do not think it is.  Let's just agree to disagree.