Adding Nonbinary as a gender option

This discussion has been closed.

emmagucci:

The suggestion is about users of MDL. I don't know many actors who are open about their unconventional gender, but I think it's great to add that in their bio info.

I'm sure you meant no offense but it's not "unconventional" many people identity as something rather then male or female.  Classifying other gender identities as "unconventional" feels a bit invalidating. Also, sadly no there aren't many actors/idols who are open about it, as there is still a lot of transphobia making it hard to come out. However, there are some and I want the ones who are open about it to be properly validated on their profiles. For example there is a nonbinary idol listed in the database who's gender is listed as male. Not only is that information invalidating and disrespectful, it's also just incorrect information. Besides just users, I want it to be an option for actors/idols as well for this reason.

Kcitkat:

I'm sure you meant no offense but it's not "unconventional" many people identity as something rather then male or female.  Classifying other gender identities as "unconventional" feels a bit invalidating. Also, sadly no there aren't many actors/idols who are open about it, as there is still a lot of transphobia making it hard to come out. However, there are some and I want the ones who are open about it to be properly validated on their profiles. For example there is a nonbinary idol listed in the database who's gender is listed as male. Not only is that information invalidating and disrespectful, it's also just incorrect information. Besides just users, I want it to be an option for actors/idols as well for this reason.

It literally means "not based on or conforming to what is generally done or believed " and generally , like for centuries people were called male / female even if they identified themselves in other ways. Gender is a quite new concept, especially for previous generations. There are still people who have no clue, unfortunately. About the actors I've just said the same thing, so...? 

Kcitkat:

Clearly you have a misconception about no offense, unconventional, and invalidating. You were sure it was no offense, but clearly took the poster to task. Any choice of gender other than male or female is unconventional literally. You can look up the word yourself. Is there a better word choice? With sensitive topics, almost any word choice could be questioned, so you have to really rely on the intent of the person making the post. As far as invalidating, the poster clearly validated the idea that there are and should be a way for everyone to express their gender.

It just seems like something that could have been cleared up with a private message. This thread is about as friendly and understanding as you will find on the internet. We all clearly agree that this topic needs to be addressed in a way that welcomes everyone.

The one thing I do wish is that we could get some sort of idea about how difficult it is to implement on the site technically.

It won't let me quote for some reason so I'll just respond to both of you in one since I'm sure you've just been checking the post like I have (they really need to implement notifications for these)

As I said I am fully aware that you meant no offense, and I am also fully aware of the definition of the word. I am just explaining how it could feel to nonbinary people i.e yours truly. That's all.  I am sorry if I have offended anyone or posted something that could have been cleared up in a 'private message' on my own post. It's my own post, I thought it should be clear and public how I feel. I was trying to be very polite about what I was saying, I am sorry if it came off as impolite as that was not my intentions.

I appreciate that you both also wish for this topic to be addressed, but I would also appreciate it if you would understand that even if it doesn't come off as invalidating to you, it does to me, someone who it relates too directly.

Thank you again, and once again I apologize :)

Also, in case you wanted to know why I find that particular word to be invalidating I will explain. Although the direct meaning is fine in and of itself, the things it gets related to as well as it's synonyms are not. If you look up words that mean the same "unusual", "Irregular", etc. appears. As a trans person all I hear in life is that my gender identity is unusual. Then I get told it's not  normal. It's inhuman. It's wrong. Calling other gender identities besides male and female unconventional or unusual may seem fine in theory, but to the community it carries a deeper and hurtful effect. Because if you start saying that other identities are unconventional it quickly turns into other identities are wrong. Trans people shouldn't ever be treated as something different, or unusual, or weird. We're just people too, and there's a lot of us. There's no such thing as normal in life. Everyone is different and special and no one should be called 'unusual' because we all are if we are are compared individually to one another. Putting one community of people in the category of 'unconventional' just feels wrong.

And once again I would rather choose to post this publicly then explain in a private message because this is something that cis people should understand. Life is all about educating ourselves, and understanding each other. 

No matter if the intentions are good or not, if something is said or done that someone is hurt by then those actions or words are still wrong. Instead of defending yourself and your intentions, please consider listening to the other party, and see it from their point of view.

I hope this helps you understand things from my point of view and once again I truly mean no offense. I was only trying to educate you and I am once again grateful for your support on this topic.

Kcitkat:
It won't let me quote for some reason so I'll just respond to both of you in one since I'm sure you've just been checking the post like I have (they really need to implement notifications for these)

You can subscribe for updates. There is a little eye icon at the top. It might be greyed out with a slash if you are not following it. I think it does send you email or notification of a reply. It might work well for this thread since there are not a lot of responses, hence easier to follow.

Your first response on the usage of the word unconventional did not offer the explanation that the second one does. I would like to think I understand your point of view more than those whom you describe (the ones saying terrible things). I think we have all been labeled or put labels on people without thinking of the consequences. In regard to my words, I apologize for any distress this has caused you.

I would prefer to have gender, location, and birthday removed from the "details" section of our profiles, especially if our choices are limited. There is plenty of free space in the profile section for people to make their choices about what to share and how to share it.

emmagucci:
They are aware of the fact there are people asking for this for 4 years already. What a joke.

Suggestions with more votes are a priority, as simple as that. People are asking for a lot of things, but there is not enough time to satisfy everyone all of a sudden.

Ceki locked this Jul 19, 2021 02:54 pm