Adding Nonbinary as a gender option

This discussion has been closed.

As of now, there is only male and female for gender options on this website, and I think a lot of us would really appreciate an update. There are a lot of nonbinary users on this website (including myself) as well as idols/actors in the database who are nonbinary yet listed as male or female. Please consider adding a nonbinary option, it would be highly appreciated.

I realize this was a suggested topic in the past, however it was resolved by making it an option to hide/not choose a gender. What I am asking for is an actual non-binary option for users and for people in the database who identity that way. Having them listed as male/female is incorrect. 

24votes

Agreed! We're in 2021 people. Non-Binary options should be made mandatory everywhere now

YES. YES. YES. THIS.

Hessa Volunteer Staff

Maybe add the option to display pronouns also.

She/Her, He/Him, They/Them, Ze/Hir, Ze/Zir, Per/Pers, Ey/Em, Xe/Xem, etc.

I voted for this, I think this is a great idea.

And @Hessa 100% agree, that way pronouns can also be displayed. if I could vote on your post too, I would absolutely. 

For the coding side of things: a custom field option would be great for all pronouns, that way it covers a wide variety.

There is already a suggestion for this created in 2017... It's taking too long to implement this, honestly. https://mydramalist.com/discussions/suggestions/28276-alternate-gender-options-on-profile 

emmagucci:

There is already a suggestion for this created in 2017... It's taking too long to implement this, honestly. https://mydramalist.com/discussions/suggestions/28276-alternate-gender-options-on-profile 

If you read what I said, I said I am aware of that post. However that post was already resolved by making it an option not to put a gender. What I am asking for is a nonbinary option you can put instead of male and female. That suggestion is old and already resolved so voting on it won't do any good.

hideyourheart:

I voted for this, I think this is a great idea.

And @Hessa 100% agree, that way pronouns can also be displayed. if I could vote on your post too, I would absolutely. 

For the coding side of things: a custom field option would be great for all pronouns, that way it covers a wide variety.

A custom field is a great option! 

Kcitkat:

If you read what I said, I said I am aware of that post. However that post was already resolved by making it an option not to put a gender. What I am asking for is a nonbinary option you can put instead of male and female. That suggestion is old and already resolved so voting on it won't do any good.

The suggestion is to add "other", so for me it's not resolved. The title people voted for literally says "Alternate Gender Option(s) on Profile ". Not "not show gender".  If the admns think just not showing the gender is a solution I think it's offensive for the community, honestly. They are aware of the fact there are people asking for this for 4 years already. What a joke.

Why not just do away with the gender input for users and have an "other" choice for actors. If it is that important for someone to know my gender, they can just ask. Or I can just simply share it on my profile page. If "other" needs to be defined in the actor section, then it can be done on the actor page itself.

John Smith:

Why not just do away with the gender input for users and have an "other" choice for actors. If it is that important for someone to know my gender, they can just ask. Or I can just simply share it on my profile page. If "other" needs to be defined in the actor section, then it can be done on the actor page itself.

The suggestion is about users of MDL (I think). I don't know many actors who are open about their unconventional gender, but I think it's great to add that in their bio info.

emmagucci:

The suggestion is about users of MDL. I don't know many actors who are open about their unconventional gender, but I think it's great to add that in their bio info.

The original poster where the voting is taking place specifically mentioned idols and actors as well. I would even add that the location should be taken away as well for users since we have creative freedom on our page itself. I do think that having other choices for actors is good for the future, but needs to be overseen carefully. We can choose how and when we want to express ourselves on our own page, but actors do not have that luxury for their pages here.

emmagucci:

The suggestion is to add "other", so for me it's not resolved. The title people voted for literally says "Alternate Gender Option(s) on Profile ". Not "not show gender".  If the admns think just not showing the gender is a solution I think it's offensive for the community, honestly. They are aware of the fact there are people asking for this for 4 years already. What a joke.

Yes, unfortunately the way it was resolved was by making it an option not to put a gender which is why I am bringing the suggestion up again since it has been four years already as you said. Hopefully this time they will listen.