I don't know about anyone else but the constant obsession with how a show rates on this site is starting to drive me insane - every drama now in the comments it's "why is this only [x]| or "I can't believe this [x] when [other drama] is [y]". On top of that we (allegedly) have people trying to manipulate the ratings by rating it low or high depending on their goal. Ratings could stay for individual reviews and still give people and idea of the audience response to the drama without having an average rating of the drama as a whole. I feel that the usefulness of an overall rating is being overshadowed.

30votes

I am not sure what would be best here. But I do think the ratings are manipulated, and are often not correct. 

The one thing I don't think this will solve is people who do say things like "I watched all 14 episodes, and hated every minute of it so I rate it a 1 star".   And it won't solve the fake reviews, either good or bad ratings. 

I feel like reviews are almost more useful than the general overall rating? At least with a review you have to write something. Even if that something is filter. I assume the rating is done with an algorithm ,we don't know how it works. And more and more the comment section is filled with "why is this rated this way!?!". It's just beginning to feel like a metric that's outlived it's usefulness. I rarely use the ratings for choosing what to watch because I know they aren't terribly accurate. 

This is about the closet I can come to my suggestion. What starts as an obsession over ratings as Ivy has pointed out, I find usually begins when a series hasn't aired but starts with a rating of any number. If overall ratings were not allowed till after the final episode this would probably stop that commentery and people can get back to talking about the series. If not possible to do that, then Ivy has my vote.

Anusaya:

This is about the closet I can come to my suggestion. What starts as an obsession over ratings as Ivy has pointed out, I find usually begins when a series hasn't aired but starts with a rating of any number. If overall ratings were not allowed till after the final episode this would probably stop that commentery and people can get back to talking about the series. If not possible to do that, then Ivy has my vote.

That's also an acceptable compromise to removing them completely, tbh. Making ratings for completed shows only would likely mitigate some of the debating. 

Just an idea… maybe there can be an option/setting to hide ratings for those who don’t want to see ratings. A different more simple option for rating a title could be a thumbs up or down, show the percentage of how many liked or disliked it (and finished/dropped).

Ivy:

I don't know about anyone else but the constant obsession with how a show rates on this site is starting to drive me insane - every drama now in the comments it's "why is this only [x]| or "I can't believe this [x] when [other drama] is [y]". On top of that we (allegedly) have people trying to manipulate the ratings by rating it low or high depending on their goal. Ratings could stay for individual reviews and still give people and idea of the audience response to the drama without having an average rating of the drama as a whole. I feel that the usefulness of an overall rating is being overshadowed.

I think "overall rating" is very important! as you cant judge a drama only basis of those 4 factors "story/acting/music/rewatch" .. there are more factors such as "directing a story/ good production/ quality of flow/ editing of a scene" etc etc. I have watched many dramas which I feel good story/ acting/ music but the overall presentation is so bad that I could not able to overall enjoy the drama. I better read the plot online and drop it. Because certainly I was curious about story but the "slow pace" , bad editing , ridiculous unnecessary filling scenes, dragging plots  etc can make a drama unbearable. And thats where the importance of  "overall rating " being justified. Another alternative option is there:  they can simply put more & more than those typical 4options. 

Also, in my 12 years long drama life I hardly re-watch any drama, there is no-sense of keeping that "rewatch value" option. Specially, for suspense -thriller genres you cant enjoy 2nd time after knowing the ending. So, I personally feel this option is useless and selectively applicable. 

I agree with you about the "writing a review" can be an important option. But, still I can say from my experience that many "non-english" speakers like me  struggle really hard to write " a whole complete sentence" on their own, forget about alone write a review.  I started myself writing a first review ever after ~ 9 years of enjoying dramas. Last but not the least: In all of our own respective busy life writing a review after watching each drama is impractical! I dont think any viewer exist in MDL who have watched 100+ dramas with 100+ reviews. 

Rien:

Just an idea… maybe there can be an option/setting to hide ratings for those who don’t want to see ratings. A different more simple option for rating a title could be a thumbs up or down, show the percentage of how many liked or disliked it (and finished/dropped).

Honestly the issue isn't the ratings themselves but the conversation/debate they inevitably create and sadly there's no way for me to just block all comments that start complaining about the ratings (and there are a lot them). 

I do like the idea of something more simplistic, like youtube likes vs. dislikes rather than a number out of 10.

Ivy:

Honestly the issue isn't the ratings themselves but the conversation/debate they inevitably create and sadly there's no way for me to just block all comments that start complaining about the ratings (and there are a lot them). 

I do like the idea of something more simplistic, like youtube likes vs. dislikes rather than a number out of 10.

ahh.. i got your view point, now. Yah, probably it wont be too bad if its like more simplistic binary type of choices as "youtube". Well, I can welcome that change too. Or better they provide a "blocking" option? So that we can block haters or make your rating anonymous!  and thus we can enjoy our dramaland!!!

Cool_As_Always:

ahh.. i got your view point, now. Yah, probably it wont be too bad if its like more simplistic binary type of choices as "youtube". Well, I can welcome that change too. Or better they provide a "blocking" option? So that we can block haters or make your rating anonymous!  and thus we can enjoy our dramaland!!!

we have a blocking option, it's limited to 30 people but it exists. But that's a lot of blocking for an annoyance when a system change might mitigate the issue all together. 

Ivy:

we have a blocking option, it's limited to 30 people but it exists. But that's a lot of blocking for an annoyance when a system change might mitigate the issue all together. 

If you have not missed my first comment in which I elaborately explained : I still think there should be "overall rating" option at current stage unless it totally turns to the fashion as youtube has. 

By the way, I didnt know about blocking option. Now I am curious about which debate/controversy of yours review/rating bothered you so much and  made you to the verge of blocking ~ 30 people!!! Thats really too much hassle! And i think you are already got yourself very popular on MDL!!! Thats a good point, isnt it? I also feel bad too that why people are so unkind and rude to make you so distressed. I am very sorry!

It shouldn't be a matter of policing, by admins or users. The reason to request this change to overall rating is to make user experience better overall.

I know how changing a backend to accommodate new features can be problematic. Just changing the rating system to unavailable till aired, or completed date may be the two options that can eliminate rating discussion in details. It wouldn't be as debatable, because you aren't getting rid of the rating system just giving a fairer system site-wide change.

As happened today, a series aired and was rated months ago 8.1 - not viewable till aired. That's why people comment, that's why this situation arises.

I feel there will be less chances for arbitrary ratings if you have to come back after a drama has ended to rate it overall. But, I can also see the other side, you may get a better overall rating because those that actually watched (loved, hated, somewhere in between) will be motivated, where the arbitrary users will find it to time consuming to remember to go back.

What we might get overall - is a story focused discussion in pages.

Cool_As_Always:
Now I am curious about which debate/controversy of yours review/rating bothered you so much and  made you to the verge of blocking ~ 30 people!!!

I honestly haven't blocked anyone over this issue but I have blocked homophobes and trolls that sometimes frequent the comment section. 

And yeah, I'm not opposed to a simpler metric, "like" vs "dislike" or as @Anusaya  suggested, limiting reviews to completed series only. It would just be nice to get back to discussing the actually drama in a comment section rather than discussing the arbitrary rating it gets. 

Cool_As_Always:
! as you cant judge a drama only basis of those 4 factors "story/acting/music/rewatch" .. there are more factors such as "directing a story/ good production/ quality of flow/ editing of a scene" etc etc.

I completely agree. I think there should be more items to rate a series. Some series like you mention are completely ruined with things like bad subtitles, or sound quality, or bad camera work even if the story is perfect and the actors are great.  

Cool_As_Always:
I hardly re-watch any drama, there is no-sense of keeping that "rewatch value" option.

Again I agree with you. That is a silly rating for a series when there are more important things that should be included. I don't think people are re-watching all these series even if they say they are "rewatchable". 

Cool_As_Always:
 they can simply put more & more than those typical 4options. 

I think the items you mention are good. I have also said something similar on other parts of this board. As one example, why is there nothing about production values and directing?

Cool_As_Always:
many "non-english" speakers like me  struggle really hard to write " a whole complete sentence" on there own,

Your English is very good, I would not have guessed you are a non-native speaker. I wish I could speak a second language. 

Anusaya:
As happened today, a series aired and was rated months ago 8.1 - not viewable till aired. That's why people comment, that's why this situation arises.

There are at least a couple Thai BL series that have this. The series are not anywhere near airing (One is airing in November I think), and yet we have a rating. Is that someone messing with the statistics, an error, hacking the board, or what? 

Anusaya:
Just changing the rating system to unavailable till aired, or completed date

I think this has some merit,  and would be a good compromise. I would vote for not allowing anyone to rate until the series is finished. 

That would stop people who dropped the series from bombing out the ratings partway through the series. And keep the reviews like "I only watched 3/8 but I rate it a 10!"  from happening too. Neither are a good reflection of how the series will end up or the overall quality of the series.  Some series are great until the last two episodes. Others are bad until partway through where they "come together" and become great.