Ivy:

I honestly haven't blocked anyone over this issue but I have blocked homophobes and trolls that sometimes frequent the comment section. 

And yeah, I'm not opposed to a simpler metric, "like" vs "dislike" or as @Anusaya  suggested, limiting reviews to completed series only. It would just be nice to get back to discussing the actually drama in a comment section rather than discussing the arbitrary rating it gets. 

I understand! But people will anyway do that, if MDL removes ratings, they will use IMBd ratings or other site ratings to fight on.  after all, theres a saying " diamond will loose its value if it becomes easily available like stones". People tends to do strict judgement on the basis of popularity/ rating. As people tends to glorify their "own diamonds" relatively to the others. 

j729:
Your English is very good, I would not have guessed you are a non-native speaker. I wish I could speak a second language.

Thank you! Actually, I improved a little in last 4-5 years, of course my professional life helped me a lot. If you read first 6 lines of my first review from my profile, u will understand : how much I have struggled to write my first review ever! I just wanted to write a meaningful review : which suppose to be basically highlighting the fact that  in "thailand drama genre" , that drama was the first ever I have found impressive production! Recently thai dramas are improved a lot! And that improvement was steep curve. But I just messed up my first review. I have still kept it as a funny memory!

If this happens, then I hope they make an option for blocking it or something because I use MDL just for checking the overall ratings when I look for another movie to watch. I compare the ratings with other sites etc. So if they get rid of it, I've like no point to use MDL anymore, I rarely read what people write in the comments on MDL and I never read the reviews either. I mean, I think I would be more active on IMDb because of it as I already use that site too for adding stuff in my list.

I've been running into more malicious ratings before air recently. Latest "Medical Examiner Dr. Qin: The Mind Reader (2022)" aired 22.05.22 (started at 4)  - As the snip shows sometimes that before air rating can effect user decisions to watch. Maybe something simpler can help - something editable through page edit? A request button that users can notify editors that a malicious rating was added before air, and give those editors permissions to verify (date rating was added) and delete that ambiguous rating? 

Hated this from the beginning.  I simply cannot attach a numeric score to an art form! But that’s just me! Maybe specific questions need to be asked. 

Check the following that contributed to your liking this drama: 

= Lead actors’ chemistry 

= cinematography 

r=  script 

= acting 

= dialogue 

=  actors’ own voices

= comedy 

= romance

= wardrobe / costuming  on point 

=. excellent OST 

= would watch an additional season 

Check the following  that you did not care for: 

= ML 

= FL 

= Leads were miscast 

-= Trope Heavy 

= Voice Dubbing 

= Poor Quality Subbing 

= Poor script 

= predictable outcome 

=  sub par acting

= Didn’t hold attention 

= Too much like another drama

= What OST? 

= Animals nor treated well 

Poor ending 

= No sequel please! 

Would you recommend it or not? 

You get my drift. This would at least sto ratings before a drama even starts. 

I agree that comments that question a dramas rating are annoying. I don't pay too much attention to the rating anymore. In fact I would add a low rated title to my watchlist any time if I think it's my cup of tea. 

I'm wondering if this hype about ratings is only a thing concerning currently airing / popular dramas as I usually don't see huge fights over ratings on dramas that are older than 2021, I guess once they stop airing things usually settle after a couple of weeks/months. 

I like Rien's suggestion to be able to "turn off" ratings for those who don't want to see them. I find it hard to avoid the comments though as this is regarding peoples mindsets and hard to control. Some will never stop arguing why their favorite drama is rated "too low" in their opinion. That's rather a problem of not understanding that an overall rating hardly can reflect once personal opinion towards a drama. 

moonchild:

I agree that comments that question a dramas rating are annoying. I don't pay too much attention to the rating anymore. In fact I would add a low rated title to my watchlist any time if I think it's my cup of tea. 

I'm wondering if this hype about ratings is only a thing concerning currently airing / popular dramas as I usually don't see huge fights over ratings on dramas that are older than 2021, I guess once they stop airing things usually settle after a couple of weeks/months. 

I like Rien's suggestion to be able to "turn off" ratings for those who don't want to see them. I find it hard to avoid the comments though as this is regarding peoples mindsets and hard to control. Some will never stop arguing why their favorite drama is rated "too low" in their opinion. That's rather a problem of not understanding that an overall rating hardly can reflect once personal opinion towards a drama. 

I definitely think is more of an "airing" drama problem rather than older, completed dramas. Because the rating is usually mostly fixed by that point. You'll get the scattered complaint that a drama someone didn't like is rated too high but not the same level of discussion that airing dramas get. The easiest solution, as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, would be to limit ratings on airing dramas. Not sure how easy that is from a coding standpoint. If we were to combine that with the ability to "turn off" ratings, that would be a decent solution. 

As long as we have a user controlled rating system we're bound to have manipulation to some degree, but even shutting off ratings for airing dramas (and dramas not aired yet) would probably help avoid spam ratings. 

Ivy:
As long as we have a user controlled rating system we're bound to have manipulation to some degree, but even shutting off ratings for airing dramas (and dramas not aired yet) would probably help avoid spam ratings. 

I honestly see no way to stop this from happening completely. 

Dramas that have not aired yet should be locked for ratings as it's useless to rate something no one has seen yet. xD

j729:

I am not sure what would be best here. But I do think the ratings are manipulated, and are often not correct. 

The one thing I don't think this will solve is people who do say things like "I watched all 14 episodes, and hated every minute of it so I rate it a 1 star".   And it won't solve the fake reviews, either good or bad ratings. 

It sounds to me like you're saying that if a review or rating doesn't agree with yours, then it's fake. Sometimes people really dislike what other people love.  Maybe you think something's a 10, but the majority of people think it's a 7. That doesn't mean it's manipulated or fake.

When a show first airs, the rating is useless because so few people have voted that it can be skewed heavily by individual voters - but once you have hundreds or thousands, what you're seeing is the general consensus. Also, it looks like it takes a while for votes to register, so if a rating looks crazy, check back in a day.

What is a "fake review?" Why would anyone take the time to write a review of something but give a fake opinion?

Ivy:

I feel like reviews are almost more useful than the general overall rating? At least with a review you have to write something. Even if that something is filter. I assume the rating is done with an algorithm ,we don't know how it works. And more and more the comment section is filled with "why is this rated this way!?!". It's just beginning to feel like a metric that's outlived it's usefulness. I rarely use the ratings for choosing what to watch because I know they aren't terribly accurate. 

They're both useful. The problem with reviews is that there are relatively few, so you're going to get strongly individual opinions, whereas with the voting, you're getting what the whole viewership thinks.  For example, I hate cliches and tropes (like accidental kisses), so I'm likely to write a more negative review of a series full of them than someone else who really likes the formulaicism (which is fine - sometimes repeitition is comforting).

Maybe what they should do is hide the overal rating until a minimum number of votes are in so that it's not skewed heavily by just a couple of people. For example, Check Out started out with a 9.5 rating, because there were 2 votes, a 9 and a 10. A day later with 154 votes (as I write this) it's a 7.7, which seems more reasonable.

Likewise, there was another show that looked like it had a really low rating to me, but there were only seven votes, and one of them was a 2, and all the others with 8-ish, so it soon rose to 8 once there were a lot of votes. 

So maybe the rating should be hidden until there are, say, 100 votes?

Ivy:

we have a blocking option, it's limited to 30 people but it exists. But that's a lot of blocking for an annoyance when a system change might mitigate the issue all together. 

Anything is annoying if too many people repeat it. I'm more irritated by people asking where to watch something - if it's hard to find, OK, but usually it's something that takes 5 seconds to locate, or you could just scroll down and check, becausee 99/100 times, someone has provided a link.

Regarding the "I can't believe this rating!", you're right, it's annoying, but it's usually in forums for shows that everyone thinks is bad but there are diehard fans who can't believe there are people who don't like what they like. We all get there at times, usually if there's an actor that we really like in it.

jpny01:
It sounds to me like you're saying that if a review or rating doesn't agree with yours, then it's fake. Sometimes people really dislike what other people love.  Maybe you think something's a 10, but the majority of people think it's a 7. That doesn't mean it's manipulated or fake.

No there have been cases of fans deliberately tanking (or inflating) ratings for airing dramas without even watching the drama due to various controversies (Snowdrop and Tomorrow come to mind, rating Snowdrop a 1 for it's "historical revision" without even watching it, or the whole BTS thing with Tomorrow. I reported a bunch of 1 start reviews that amounted to "how dare this drama insult my idol"). And the opposite happens as well, people rating things a 10 because their fave idol is in it or whatever. Neither are an accurate reflection on the drama any only inflate or deflate the rating artificially. 

jpny01:
Regarding the "I can't believe this rating!", you're right, it's annoying, but it's usually in forums for shows that everyone thinks is bad but there are diehard fans who can't believe there are people who don't like what they like.

I've seen it consistently enough on airing dramas in the past year or so to be bothered enough by it to make this thread.

I personnally find the overall rating of a drama very useful. It's a personal indication of whether I liked it or not, if I would rewatch it or not, or recommend it or not... 

What I can't understand is people who are so focused on the ratings that their world is crumbling if the rating is droping from a 0.1 from what it was the day before. What is important? The opinion you have of this drama or if all other viewers liked it?  Neither can I understand people who think that because the rating is droping it means it is probably "haters" who rated the drama. Different people, different opinions. 

But I do agree that this type of comments is really annoying on popular dramas.

Me30:
What I can't understand is people who are so focused on the ratings that their world is crumbling if the rating is droping from a 0.1 from what it was the day before.

That's the issue. Some people who take it personally if ratings drop or rise. Those who love it want the rating to be high, those who hate it want it low and in both parties there are people who take drastic measures to make the rating go up or down by creating multiple accounts to vote etc. 

The comments and manipulations of ratings are indeed annoying and I wish people wouldn't do it, but I think stopping them is nearly impossible. I would hate to see the rating gone just because some people mess with it because it's indeed an interesting first indicator.