So if it's set 2 years after ending of movie 2, there's gonna be a huge amount of scenes they skipped, no? I hope they do a good job with the script, as those scenes would be so important for story and character development.
After finishing it, I can conclude that this drama could have been great. Unfortunately, the writing really fell short. There were ridiculous plot twists, repeated scenes, needless dialogues, many, many stupid and illogical decisions, and the two main characters remained flat (also due to acting). I still had hope in Jae Min to become less of a hypocrite and overcome his (pretty much unfounded) hatred and racism for Vampires in a convincing manner, but unfortunately, the writers didn't give him the chance to grow - instead he practically magically changes his mind within seconds. Some people may say that he helped Mari despite her being a vampire, but the only reason is that she's pretty and he was charmed by her. I find this very upsetting, considering he is the protagonist of a story that deals with such a serious topic as discrimination, and I find every 'character development' that happens in the the final episode unbelievable. I only finished this for Lee Jong Hyun, it is truly to great to see him grow as an actor with each and every role he takes on, and Han Shi Hoo is such a memorable character, I am sure you will fall in love with him. Albeit a bit cocky, he is one of the most decent second leads we could meet in dramaland. All in all, it has it's ups and downs, if you're really a fan of Vampires and can overlook all the flaws, it might still be an enjoyable watch. I rate it 6/10.
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER; DON'T READ. Okay, I just watched episode 9, and I change my rating much lower, all due to the writing. I am like so mad at the writers. Wtf is this? It makes NO SENSE. I SAID SPOILER, GO AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN UP TO EPISODE 9, END OF JOSEON PLOT Come on, where is the logic in this?? 1. Girl, okay, he said he would rather die than become a vampire. Then just let him die. Do you think he'd be happy after you give your life in return for his?? Well, in fact, from the last scene it seemed like he would be able to become happy, but that's either bullshit, or he never loved her enough anyway. How can anyone not drown in guilt after such a decision. It isn't like it was an accident, it was a choice on her part, and it's so damn dumb. I am sure he could have dealt with becoming a vampire, if it had meant living together with her (despite his words and him being more racist than a main character should ever be, but ok..). Now he's alive, human, but lost the love of his life *claps hands*. 2. Then the way HOW it happened. I can only laugh. SHE WAS STILL ALIVE after giving him her blood, the fuck??? Just feed her some damn blood at least, who knows, it might have worked! If you give a starving person some freaking food, they MIGHT just survive. I am just at a loss for words at the stupidity in this drama. 3. People in this drama conveniently pop up out of nowhere and when you really miss them in the scene (because it would be smart and logical to include them), they are nowhere to be seen. Like, where was Shi Hoo when his best friend is on his death bed. The deaths in this drama are so pointless and anticlimactic, even the bad bad vampires died way too easily, especially the lead, who was supposed to be some higher being or some shit. I cannot take it anymore, WHY am I still watching this drama??? ;__; (Lee Jong Hyun, it's your fault I am watching this crap LOL)
This drama is not that bad really, but personally, I didn't like the main characters so this drama wasn't very…
omg same, if it wasn't for Han Shi Hoo, I'd have dropped this drama already. The main characters' decisions are all so dumb, I cannot even explain how infuriating they are. The writing could be so much better, it's a shame urghhhhh.
(after ep.04)I don't like Human Guy, he sucks (:DDD but really)So far, Vampire Guy is a so much better and more…
His constant shouting, omg. So, so, so annoying. He was supposed to be cool and levelheaded, but whenever something didn't go his way, he started shouting T__T
To all those getting stuck at episode 4: Yes, that ending is ridiculous. And I mean, the worst kind of ridiculous. I was just like: WTF? After that, it gets better. A bit. Sadly, both main leads suck in the romance department and don't do the complexity of their characters justice. Lee Jong Hyun, on the other hand, truly shines, especially In the historical part. I don't mean to spoiler, but I am just saying, ending of episode 8, holy shit, my heart. So, to everyone doubting, at least watch episode 5 and then decide whether to stick around, despite the confusion. I haven't finished yet, but currently my rating is at a 7.
He’s really an amazing actor! Hmmm Maybe try to give Falling for Innocence another chance? Jung Kyung Ho is…
Hmm, I dropped it on episode 6 and I just found it SO boring. I really liked the first two episodes, I think the idea about him getting a new heart and being affected by the donor's habits and likes is such a unique idea (even if a bit silly), it would've been a great plot for a 2 hour movie or so. But, quite honestly, I don't care about the revenge plot with the factory and firm, all they ever do is have emergency meetings and talking about stocks and bonds and whatnot, it feels like 50 percent of screen time is given to that, and it's boring me to death. Then 30 percent are about the hit-and-run case and, honestly, I think everyone knows by episode 2 who's the culprit, right? So no suspense here either. Some things are funny, but I wished I could feel more chemistry between the leads. Sooo yeah, although I am a sucker for romance, crime and and a bit of Melo, I just couldn't get into it at all. Even worse than A beautiful mind *hides* I think I just have enough of bad boys turning good, or maybe it's something else, I don't know.
I've only seen him in his childhood roles in Iljimae and The moon that embraces the sun. Admittedly, he was neither memorable or bad in Iljimae, so I guess he did alright. In The Moon, he was good, but his partner outshone him in his acting. I've recently started watching Orange Marmalade, in which he plays the leading role, and unfortunately I must say, he sucks at romance. That's my opinion anyway. I read many comments about SLS in Orange Marmalade, so I was prepared and STRUGGLED not to fall for the second lead, but there was no chemistry to be found between the main couple. What annoyed me the most was his constant screaming and shouting, his tears never moved me at all... That said, I am sorry, but my first impression of him as an adult actor is quite bad. If I ever get around to watching other dramas of him, I do hope he'll prove me wrong. Maybe he just couldn't get into script or character, happens to the best. Nice detailed article :)
Yoon Hyun Min was my kboy crush for quite some time after finishing 'Tunnel', I mean, come on, he's so ridiculously hot and smart!! Even more so I was looking forward to Witch's Court, but we all know those hopes were blasted. Sadly, I dropped both A Beautiful Mind and Falling for Innocence, I am not sure why I couldn't get into them. If I ever give them a second chance, it'll because of Yoon Hyun Min. I know I should watch Cruel City but I've heard it is very sad and intense, so I've been shying away from it. It's definitely on my Must See list, though, so it's just a matter of time...
His voice sometimes sounds like Lee Min Ho. His face is similar in shape, too. I really love him as an actor, unfortunately My Only Love Song was a pretty bad drama, but I hope his future dramas will be great. Does anyone know if he has served in the military yet??
honestly, doctors joke about whatever they see all the time. If someone dies, they try to think about different…
Yeah, I am living with two girls, one is a medical assistant, one is a medical student. And sometimes they talk about stuff like: omg you have no idea what case we could take on today, it was like a type of cancerous cell you only see like twice in your life as a doctor, it was soooo interesting omfg. And I am like: ... girls, you do know you're talking about an actual human being who's about to die, right? xD Doctors have to be detached more than anyone. And they do express sadness in the show, many times. If they stopped living their lives and giving up and getting caught up in sadness every time something terrible happens around them, nobody would be able to bear it. How could you work and help others when your mind is close to breaking down. I thought that they treated it quite realistically.
I saw 4 eps and dropped it. Although I have liked the cast members in other dramas in this their characters are…
Yeah, that's exactly it. I mean, I know their professions and that they run a guesthouse. One of them cannot get over the breakup, one of them is crazy in becoming an actor and one writes to become successful. That's it. I barely know those people, I don't know how they got there, what the starting point was, what they're feeling besides the obvious - there is no depth. Also, it is highly unrealistic and not consistent, in the first episode they seem too much in debt, there are NO customers. Then blinggg, all of a sudden the guesthouse is ALWAYS packed (just from meeting those three girls, like, once.....), and how could they accept the guests in the first place when the water was still shut down. *facepalm* anyway, as I said, I might give it another shot sometime, but for now I just cannot understand the high ratings.
It is a satire, which means that a lot of situations are heavily exaggerated to point out flaws in society. The…
I know it's supposed to be a satire, but I think everything needs a balance. By making it seem 'normal', the problem isn't actually addressed in my opinion. And other than those things like the filming industry, it's also many times simply about their behavior. But well, I am not sure, maybe I'll try to watch it again when I'm in a different mood and it has finished airing. Thanks for your comment!
I am really torn about this drama. Someone compared it to Age of Youth, which is one of my favorite dramas. And I actually liked the first episode a lot, it was super funny. But I am at episode 4 now, and I couldn't even finish the episode. Do you know that feeling when you're so 'ashamed' of the characters that you cannot bear to watch? I mean, I know they get thrown into shitty situations sometimes, but sometimes they just seem to have NO common sense whatsoever. What I liked about Age of Youth was that, even though it was super funny and crazy, there were also some quite deep moments, and every character still kept their manners and common sense. Here I don't get that feeling at all. Sorry, but some of those characters seem to lack brain cells .-.'' Just to name some examples from episode 4: How can Joon Ki let himself be treated and nearly killed while 'acting' with that actress? It's funny in the beginning, but I would expect some closure to that, it's just not normal. Same before with the special effects make up he wasn't allowed to remove and stuff. The film industry is crazy, but not to that extend. Then Yoon Ah, her airhead was cute at first but now I am like: doesn't she have a brain? How can she bake the same muffins 24/7? How can she think it's okay to give her kid a photoshoot at someone elses first birthday party? Like... There is just so much that doesn't make sense in this drama, I keep asking myself if none of those characters actually has common sense. Is that going to get any better? Is there a point where I can take the characters seriously? I think for four episodes there has hardly been any background revelations and history of the characters. I think maybe this is just not a show for me. :-(
Super looking forward to this one, as I've read the novel 'les liaisons dangereuses' and grew up watching 'Cruel Intentions', like probably most people here. The bar has been set quite high, so I am quite curious if Korea can give this idea a worthy adaption even if it seems to be just loosely based on the novel.
On another note, for all the people saying that the main couple's romance developed too fast: I can speak from experience when I say that when you travel, especially alone, you often act out of character. You're more brave, more daring, everything you see and smell and touch is new. They both were in a situation where they were lonely and hurt, they discovered similarities and got attracted to each other. Possibly, they intended to only enjoy a fleeting moment. But, in fact, all the emotions you feel while traveling, seem amplified for some reason, time is stretched and feels like an eternity, although it passes way too fast. This is all contradictory, but anyway, I can understand their 'fling' as well as their decisions near the end, and from my perspective it was quite realistic :)
I wonder why I hesitated watching this drama. I guess maybe it's because I really hate package tours, and I was…
If there is one thing I disliked though, I must say it's how her little brother acted (how the writers made him be). He was so immature. In the beginning all he did was go on a rampage like a nutcase, and he beat up her ex without a single word. Like, wtf? Firstly, it could have been that he was in Korea for the concert as a guest and that he would leave after a week of 'business/concert tournee' and return to France to his wife. And even if he really did break up with the the girl, break-ups happen, and there was no way to know whose fault it even was. Soo Soo was just too impulsive and violent, he deserved his punishment. Anyway, eternal love for So So's Boss, he was killer xD I always love that actor!
I wonder why I hesitated watching this drama. I guess maybe it's because I really hate package tours, and I was skeptical how they would play it out. However, now I am really glad I gave this is a shot. It's such a beautiful, heartwarming drama! It has some comedy, some drama, lovely romance, and above all very distinct characters and relationships, that I am sure everyone can relate to their worries and troubles. Oftentimes I would side with one character in a fight, but once they changed the narrative, I would develop compassion for the other side – the directing and writing were really excellent. I am sure I will rewatch it many times, and I already miss all the characters, as I felt I went on a trip together with them. Now I am only sad I'll have to wait a long time until my next vacation, though, who knows, I might go to France :))
Some people may say that he helped Mari despite her being a vampire, but the only reason is that she's pretty and he was charmed by her. I find this very upsetting, considering he is the protagonist of a story that deals with such a serious topic as discrimination, and I find every 'character development' that happens in the the final episode unbelievable.
I only finished this for Lee Jong Hyun, it is truly to great to see him grow as an actor with each and every role he takes on, and Han Shi Hoo is such a memorable character, I am sure you will fall in love with him. Albeit a bit cocky, he is one of the most decent second leads we could meet in dramaland. All in all, it has it's ups and downs, if you're really a fan of Vampires and can overlook all the flaws, it might still be an enjoyable watch. I rate it 6/10.
Okay, I just watched episode 9, and I change my rating much lower, all due to the writing. I am like so mad at the writers. Wtf is this? It makes NO SENSE.
I SAID SPOILER, GO AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN UP TO EPISODE 9, END OF JOSEON PLOT
Come on, where is the logic in this??
1. Girl, okay, he said he would rather die than become a vampire. Then just let him die. Do you think he'd be happy after you give your life in return for his?? Well, in fact, from the last scene it seemed like he would be able to become happy, but that's either bullshit, or he never loved her enough anyway. How can anyone not drown in guilt after such a decision. It isn't like it was an accident, it was a choice on her part, and it's so damn dumb. I am sure he could have dealt with becoming a vampire, if it had meant living together with her (despite his words and him being more racist than a main character should ever be, but ok..). Now he's alive, human, but lost the love of his life *claps hands*.
2. Then the way HOW it happened. I can only laugh. SHE WAS STILL ALIVE after giving him her blood, the fuck??? Just feed her some damn blood at least, who knows, it might have worked! If you give a starving person some freaking food, they MIGHT just survive. I am just at a loss for words at the stupidity in this drama.
3. People in this drama conveniently pop up out of nowhere and when you really miss them in the scene (because it would be smart and logical to include them), they are nowhere to be seen. Like, where was Shi Hoo when his best friend is on his death bed. The deaths in this drama are so pointless and anticlimactic, even the bad bad vampires died way too easily, especially the lead, who was supposed to be some higher being or some shit.
I cannot take it anymore, WHY am I still watching this drama??? ;__; (Lee Jong Hyun, it's your fault I am watching this crap LOL)
After that, it gets better. A bit. Sadly, both main leads suck in the romance department and don't do the complexity of their characters justice. Lee Jong Hyun, on the other hand, truly shines, especially In the historical part. I don't mean to spoiler, but I am just saying, ending of episode 8, holy shit, my heart. So, to everyone doubting, at least watch episode 5 and then decide whether to stick around, despite the confusion. I haven't finished yet, but currently my rating is at a 7.
But, quite honestly, I don't care about the revenge plot with the factory and firm, all they ever do is have emergency meetings and talking about stocks and bonds and whatnot, it feels like 50 percent of screen time is given to that, and it's boring me to death. Then 30 percent are about the hit-and-run case and, honestly, I think everyone knows by episode 2 who's the culprit, right? So no suspense here either. Some things are funny, but I wished I could feel more chemistry between the leads. Sooo yeah, although I am a sucker for romance, crime and and a bit of Melo, I just couldn't get into it at all. Even worse than A beautiful mind *hides* I think I just have enough of bad boys turning good, or maybe it's something else, I don't know.
I've recently started watching Orange Marmalade, in which he plays the leading role, and unfortunately I must say, he sucks at romance. That's my opinion anyway. I read many comments about SLS in Orange Marmalade, so I was prepared and STRUGGLED not to fall for the second lead, but there was no chemistry to be found between the main couple. What annoyed me the most was his constant screaming and shouting, his tears never moved me at all...
That said, I am sorry, but my first impression of him as an adult actor is quite bad. If I ever get around to watching other dramas of him, I do hope he'll prove me wrong. Maybe he just couldn't get into script or character, happens to the best.
Nice detailed article :)
I know I should watch Cruel City but I've heard it is very sad and intense, so I've been shying away from it. It's definitely on my Must See list, though, so it's just a matter of time...
Doctors have to be detached more than anyone. And they do express sadness in the show, many times. If they stopped living their lives and giving up and getting caught up in sadness every time something terrible happens around them, nobody would be able to bear it. How could you work and help others when your mind is close to breaking down.
I thought that they treated it quite realistically.